this years pats are not who we thought they were

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

this years pats are not who we thought they were

forget dennis green saying the bears were.clearly the pats are not.yes some will say we lead our division by two games and will make the playoffs.others will say the pats play there best games in december.i listen to all this,and listen to the announcers like gruden talking highly of the pats capabilities,and im thinking they are talking about the pats of years past.we havent won a road game this year,and i wonder about the game against miami.the pats of the past had more success on the road.we need a third receiver threat.because moss and welker will not always be open,and aiken dropped a sure brady pass for long yardage.but brady has his share of problems,but it dosent help when he has to move out of his comfort zone all the time.and my best for last our great defense.ive said it time and again,they stink.brees barely broke a sweat carving us up.the secondary is lost.sure we look good against the weaker teams,but we might be one and done in the playoffs.teams can get after brady all night,shutdown our running game and receivers.why cant we do it to them?everyone cried about wanting the pats defense to be younger,and faster,and they get winded worse then the guys we use to have.i look at the saints defense,its a mirror of the defenses of patriots past.older more talented and hungry.they are playing to prove something,and we are playing just on our reputation of our past success.until the pats get that hunger and desire to win and prove they are a great team.it will be a short season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

Re: the pats are not who we thought they were

so true.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

I agree with you 100%... only few things I will add is our inability to stop red zone offenses and also score in the redzone. Belichiek knew of this problem going into the draft last year. Thats why we saw a complete overhaul in our secondary. Still cant get the job done.

Brady's back but doesnt have the defense like he used to have to hold onto a lead or create timely turnovers.

Lastly, the team of 09 has no experience in the playoffs together, no experience in the patriots superbowls, besides a handful of players (which you can count on your hand) there are almost 50 other players that dont know "the patriot way" which is always talked about.  in other words - NO THEY HAVENT BEEN THERE BEFORE...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

turnovers are key.in order to get interceptions,you need the pressure on the QB.what ever happened to all the strip fumbles the pats use to create?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

when did we ever see the pats pull out there players other then already haveing a game won?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/30/belichick-says-uncle-to-his-new-daddy/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/patriots_defense_12-01-09_AQGL35O_v2.43125cf.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: the pats are not who we thought they were:
    That sums it up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I like Kyle's point about the lack of a perceived "mystique."

There is very little left on this squad the represents the Pats' unparalleled success of five years ago. I'm not really sure how much I buy into legacy or "swagger" at the NFL level, but New England is simply one of a handful of good teams in the league; it's reputation does not carry the cache' that folks still seem to want to apply to it, as far as I can see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I like Kyle's point about the lack of a perceived "mystique." There is very little left on this squad the represents the Pats' unparalleled success of five years ago. I'm not really sure how much I buy into legacy or "swagger" at the NFL level, but New England is simply one of a handful of good teams in the league; it's reputation does not carry the cache' that folks still seem to want to apply to it, as far as I can see.
    Posted by prairiemike

Little to do with swagger and lots to do with being one of the worst teams in the league in terms of pressuring the QB. No secondary in the NFL looks good when good QBs have ALL DAY TO THROW. We didn't address the personnel on the defensive line or the scheme is not successful or both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

All of this whining is a bore.  The Saints are a great team -- that's been obvious all year -- and it's not surprising that a great team can hand our heads to us.  We got beat on about 3 BIG plays, which about accounts for the 3 touchdowns we got beaten by.  I'm tired of all this talk about "swagger."  We may be one-and-done;  there's no real dishonor in that, and that probably won't happen anyway.  We're going to be better than the wild card teams that get in.  Not every team is the Saints, and we all know that at least a couple of the teams that have beaten us this year aren't really better than we are.  Here's hoping we win out, have a very respectable 12-4 record, and "make some noise" in the post-season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from t8pmeasurejob. Show t8pmeasurejob's posts

Turning point...
    Start of first quarter showed all the makings of a close game. It all changed when Merriweather's INT was broken up by Bodden on the 1 yd line. It could have been turning point-  INT always a confidence builder among secondary;always get into  heads of QB's especially when scoring happens as a result. Don't buy it? Look what it did for the who dats ?

Ask Buster Douglas if confidence isn't the difference maker.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezadude. Show rezadude's posts

I think what you mean is that Tom Brady is not the player with had in 2007. That clearly shows. His only advantage over other elite quaterbacks was his decision making and I think he has lost that edge. People attributed all of the issues to his rustiness and injury but I think you have to question his commitment and work ethic. We all know what he has been up to in the offseasons.

The other big issue is his lack of leadership on the field. He is just not the same player and liley will never be. Under pressure, he is playing like a rookie. I cant imagine a rookie would have played any worse in this game. A leader has to show maturity and hold things together when things are tough and not throw his team under the bus by throwing bad interceptions. The patriots had all the momentum until he throw his first horrible interception. The pats were leading 7-3, and after that point, the scored 10 points while the saints scored 35 more. That was the big momentum killer!

The Pats took a gamble keeping him and letting cassel go. I would have done it the same way but hoped for a much better result.
    For his sake, I hope he can get his mojo back because that is not the way to go out when you have been a champ.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-12-01/bradys-bunch-appears-prepped-for-short-stay-playoffs

when was the last time a team only rushing three guys at brady gets pressure on him?go figure.and to think the dolphins didnt even use the wildcat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I think the Pats are tansitioning on the fly here.  They've lost a lot of defensive stalwarts and have a lot of new and young blood.  I think with a few personnel moves and some expereinced coordinators on O and D, this tea can be right back in the hunt.  Not to say they're not a plyoff team and a dangerous one.  But there clearly is something missing.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thetrinity12. Show thetrinity12's posts

When we traded away our best defensive player (you could argue Wilfork was better), it was pretty clear to me that Belichick was looking past this season in terms of success. We'd still be good this year, but Bill didn't think we were going to be fantastic and a better season is a year or two away.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

When we traded away our best defensive player (you could argue Wilfork was better), it was pretty clear to me that Belichick was looking past this season in terms of success. We'd still be good this year, but Bill didn't think we were going to be fantastic and a better season is a year or two away.
    Posted by thetrinity12

Agreed, agreed, agreed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

IS there a reason with 4 minutes left in the game and the dolphins only have 1 timeout,and the pats chose to throw the ball instead of running the clock out?not to mention how our defense always makes no name players look like super stars.back to back losses,and 0-5 on the road.yes the pats are not who we thought they were.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

I think it is clear that the Patriots have several issues to address. 

I really do not know how good the defensive backs are becasue the Patriots can never quite get to the QB to throw off his timming.  The defense needs help incluidng at leat 2 edge rushers, and a shut down corner would be nice.

The offense needs to upgrade the offensive line.  When Brady does not have the time to pass he becomes just another average QB. 

The Patriots need a kicK returner.  Why risk the life and limbs of their best receiver (Welker)

The Patriots need a stud receiver

Decision making...take the filed goal in the first half and the Patriots win this game. 

The Patriots will limp into the playoffs with a 9-6 record.  Next year will be a continuation of th rebuilding to addres several obvious weaknesses on the tem.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonfan012. Show Bostonfan012's posts

It's sad to know that Norv Turner and Wade Phillips are doing better than Belichick. Not to mention 1st year coach Josh Daniels, 1st year Colts coach Caldwell and marvin Lewis.... yikes
    Big trouble in razorland

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from simroy. Show simroy's posts

I think it is clear that the Patriots have several issues to address.  I really do not know how good the defensive backs are becasue the Patriots can never quite get to the QB to throw off his timming.  The defense needs help incluidng at leat 2 edge rushers, and a shut down corner would be nice. The offense needs to upgrade the offensive line.  When Brady does not have the time to pass he becomes just another average QB.  The Patriots need a kicK returner.  Why risk the life and limbs of their best receiver (Welker) The Patriots need a stud receiver Decision making...take the filed goal in the first half and the Patriots win this game.  The Patriots will limp into the playoffs with a 9-6 record.  Next year will be a continuation of th rebuilding to addres several obvious weaknesses on the tem.
    Posted by dboss

Good post!  Might I add that the Pats could use a better RB, one who at least possesses the "threat" of breaking one.  Maroney, IMHO is servicable at best, ineffective at worse.  I also don't understand how we're employing out TE.  I've witnessed teams rushing three people beat our O-line, so if our TE is suppose to block, he's not.  He's also not catching many balls either as we tried for "home runs" today when situationally, we should have been simply trying to move the chains.  Where was the TE in all of this?  Did we even complete a pass to one?  Watso, for all of his alledged gifts, seems to disappear for games at a time.  As such, he's either poor as a blocker or a catcher.  If that's the case, why keep him?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

IS there a reason with 4 minutes left in the game and the dolphins only have 1 timeout,and the pats chose to throw the ball instead of running the clock out?not to mention how our defense always makes no name players look like super stars.back to back losses,and 0-5 on the road.yes the pats are not who we thought they were.
    Posted by mosseffect43

I thought that was ridiculous as well.  Why on earth did they want to throw 3 passes only to punt?

Then, it seemed as if they were running the ball right down Miami's throats in the 4th quarter, only to try a pass that got picked off in the endzone.  Not sure why they didn't continue to run the ball all the way into the endzone.  Even if we settle for a field goal we would still most likely win the game. 

I can't believe the defense can't stop a 4th down attempt, that was also pretty frustrating. 

Hopefully they can get some pass-rushers in the offseason and be able to actually get to the QB next year because it certainly isn't happening this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to the pats are not who we thought they were:
    forget dennis green saying the bears were.clearly the pats are not.yes some will say we lead our division by two games and will make the playoffs.others will say the pats play there best games in december.i listen to all this,and listen to the announcers like gruden talking highly of the pats capabilities,and im thinking they are talking about the pats of years past.we havent won a road game this year,and i wonder about the game against miami.the pats of the past had more success on the road.we need a third receiver threat.because moss and welker will not always be open,and aiken dropped a sure brady pass for long yardage.but brady has his share of problems,but it dosent help when he has to move out of his comfort zone all the time.and my best for last our great defense.ive said it time and again,they stink.brees barely broke a sweat carving us up.the secondary is lost.sure we look good against the weaker teams,but we might be one and done in the playoffs.teams can get after brady all night,shutdown our running game and receivers.why cant we do it to them?everyone cried about wanting the pats defense to be younger,and faster,and they get winded worse then the guys we use to have.i look at the saints defense,its a mirror of the defenses of patriots past.older more talented and hungry.they are playing to prove something,and we are playing just on our reputation of our past success.until the pats get that hunger and desire to win and prove they are a great team.it will be a short season.
    Posted by mosseffect43

True although the Pats are unfortunately what some of thought they would be on D with the loss of all that veteran leadership at once. I still can't believe BB thought this D would handle the elite teams once he traded Seymour. Trading him on his own would have been ok but that hit along with the trading of Vrabel and retirements of Brucshi and Harrison was to much of a big hit in 1 year. It shows under pressure and BB himself obviously doesn't have any faith in the D he has put together this year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

After the New Orleans game the Pats now are what I think they are.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellPatFan. Show LowellPatFan's posts

Here's my sense.

The pats were 11-5 to finish the year they are now 7-5.  Matt Cassell was QB last year who did not nave more than 20 snaps in reg season.  This year we have Brady.  On onfense we have been upgraded with Edelman, problems at RB but we have not run the ball well since CD.  Brady throws for a lot of yards but when it is on the line he chokes or maybe more important they call the wrong plays.   They have no diversity everyone was wise to the Brady - Moss connection and now Welker.  They don't throw to the TE's at all and they are good.

What I read is bad, bad OC coaching.

In terms of the defense it looked like we had some brilliant young talent but now they are all out of position and out of their jocks.  Downright ugly the past few games.  and then the penalties on both side of the ball.

Bottom line is this is a poorly coached team who in my mind had upgraded their talent half a grade in the past year.  Pees has always been questionable since he took reigns and whoever is calling plays on offence...if you are reading this you can do a better job.

Bill is a good head coach whoe foremerly was good at surrounding himself with good coaching talent,  I don't think he ran them off they had to go to further their career. 

However,  I think Bill has gotten so full of himself he found himself invunerable in his own mind and this is what we have.

Time for Bob Kraft to force his hand or give him a one way ticket.  Isn't a premier coach in the NFL that would not work for Bob Kraft.

Thats the bottom line in my book and excuse my typos.

Go Celtics and Bruins!  Don't get us started on Theo....

Sections
Shortcuts