This years receivers Better then last?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingopatswillwinagain. Show bingopatswillwinagain's posts

This years receivers Better then last?

I know that everyone has made a big deal (media) about whos brady gonna throw the ball too ?? no dumbandez, no welker, no loyyd, well dare I say this group will be better then last year amendola is a better player then welker and faster, if he stays healthy I see a great year, but I will also say brady has more then just one guy now to get the ball too, Dobsons size and speed is very moss like out there, boice I like he  can be very welkerish as well but bigger. No more tiny guys running around out afraid to get hit,  they are young and talanted and if brady can be patient and mold this group we just might see somthing special this year and years to come.------------------prepared to be surprised  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Re: This years receivers Better then last?

Top 5 WR look to be-

80 Danny Amendola 5-11 188 27 5 Texas Tech

11 Julian Edelman 5-10 200 26 5 Kent State 

17 Aaron Dobson 6-3 203 21 R Marshall

82 Josh Boyce 5-11 203 22 R Texas Christian

85 Kenbrell Thompkins 6-0 196 24 R Cincinnati 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I hope it's better, because last year's group of WRs (other than Welker) was pretty mediocre.  Sure the TEs were good, but the WRs weren't much at all. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

From what I read, Dobson and Thompkins have great size and leaping ability.  This group could very well be better than last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't know yet. Welker, Hernandez, and Gronk were a very strong trio and Lloyd was better than average as a 4th option. Now this group has a chance to be better because I think they might be deeper but looking at it -

Welker -> Amendola: Provided health this could be a wash

Gronk -> recovering Gronk: Again provided health and recovery this could be a wash or Gronk could regress

Hernandez -> Sudfeld/Ford/Ballard?: Now I'm really big on Sudfeld and Ford looks like a decent find but Hernandez was one of the best receiving TE's last year. It's hard to replace him

Lloyd -> Dobson: Say what you will about Lloyd but he did have a good year as a 4th option. Now Dobson has ability to surpass Lloyd but Dobson is still a rook and will need to get a feel for the game. Not many rook WR's are great out of the gate and giving what Lloyd gave last year might be a bit much this early on

Branch -> Thompkins: Another case of a rook replacing a solid vet. Branch was alright at times but Thompkins has the potential to provide much more. The question is can the rook come in and give right away.

I will say given health and talent this group could be better than last year but on paper right now last years crop were better receivers, at least until the rooks prove what they are capable of

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I have a feeling Sudfeld will make us all forget about the Murderer very quickly.  Just imagine GRONK and Sudfeld on the field at the same time.  Both are huge, fast and catch everything.  How the hell can a defense cover both these guys + our new group of Big, Fast, Talented and field stretching WR's?

Brady will be putting up numbers that will make Rusty implode.

19-0

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Welker and Lloyd were short area receivers that did not threaten the long ball.

Good defenses could bunch up the middle and stifle the offense. See the playoffs and last 2 Super Bowls.

I like the faster, bigger WR's. This group looks better than any other group since we drafted Terry Glenn.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Talent wise, 2013 > 2012, 2011. But Wekler, Branch had Tommy's trust, these guys are rooks and have a lot of growing up to do. You can't trust them to produce on a weekly basis.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

Top 5 WR look to be-

80 Danny Amendola 5-11 188 27 5 Texas Tech

11 Julian Edelman 5-10 200 26 5 Kent State 

17 Aaron Dobson 6-3 203 21 R Marshall

82 Josh Boyce 5-11 203 22 R Texas Christian

85 Kenbrell Thompkins 6-0 196 24 R Cincinnati 

Edelman is 4th on the depth chart, Thompkins is second and Dobson third.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I don't know yet. Welker, Hernandez, and Gronk were a very strong trio and Lloyd was better than average as a 4th option. Now this group has a chance to be better because I think they might be deeper but looking at it -

Welker -> Amendola: Provided health this could be a wash

Gronk -> recovering Gronk: Again provided health and recovery this could be a wash or Gronk could regress

Hernandez -> Sudfeld/Ford/Ballard?: Now I'm really big on Sudfeld and Ford looks like a decent find but Hernandez was one of the best receiving TE's last year. It's hard to replace him

Lloyd -> Dobson: Say what you will about Lloyd but he did have a good year as a 4th option. Now Dobson has ability to surpass Lloyd but Dobson is still a rook and will need to get a feel for the game. Not many rook WR's are great out of the gate and giving what Lloyd gave last year might be a bit much this early on

Branch -> Thompkins: Another case of a rook replacing a solid vet. Branch was alright at times but Thompkins has the potential to provide much more. The question is can the rook come in and give right away.

I will say given health and talent this group could be better than last year but on paper right now last years crop were better receivers, at least until the rooks prove what they are capable of

You forgot to take into consideration Gronk could be even better and not just a wash.

Hern would have been one of the best last year if he hadn't had one of the highest drop percentages in the league. To me those drive killing drops brought his stock right back down to just average. He also had a penchant for running right at the nearest defender, even if he had to go east-west instead of north-south, to try to juke the guy out of his socks. Problem is he usually got tackled instead of running to daylight and gaining another 6-10 yards. If Sudfeld doesn't drop a league leading number of passes thrown his way, he will easily surpass Herns contribution.

Dobson has already proven he is much more willing to fight for the ball than Lloyd ever dreamed of so there is an excellent chance he will be a considerable improvement over Lloyd. On top of that Brady is much more willing to throw in Dobsons direction than he was in Lloyds.

A Branch that couldn't get separation is not better than either of the rookies, at worst it is a wash

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

You forgot to take into consideration Gronk could be even better and not just a wash.

Hern would have been one of the best last year if he hadn't had one of the highest drop percentages in the league. To me those drive killing drops brought his stock right back down to just average. He also had a penchant for running right at the nearest defender, even if he had to go east-west instead of north-south, to try to juke the guy out of his socks. Problem is he usually got tackled instead of running to daylight and gaining another 6-10 yards. If Sudfeld doesn't drop a league leading number of passes thrown his way, he will easily surpass Herns contribution.

Dobson has already proven he is much more willing to fight for the ball than Lloyd ever dreamed of so there is an excellent chance he will be a considerable improvement over Lloyd. On top of that Brady is much more willing to throw in Dobsons direction than he was in Lloyds.

A Branch that couldn't get separation is not better than either of the rookies, at worst it is a wash

Gronk had one of the best seasons for a TE I had ever seen last year. It would be incredible difficult to top that, possible yes but more likely he would match it or have slightly lower performance. It's like saying Moss would be better than in 07'. Possible yes but not likely

For Hern, if you look around the league the top WRs all tend to have the highest drop totals. They tend to see more balls, have tougher coverage to fight against, and QB's tend to force balls to them giving them tougher balls to catch. Not saying Hernandez didn't have bad drops but drop totals can be misleading.

Willing to fight for the ball doesn't prove much. A lot of failed WRs are willing to fight for the ball. The challenge comes when he has to make the tough catches with body control and if he can gain separation. Lloyd didn't fight for balls but he can up with some amazing catches and dropped a lot of easy ones. Until Dobson gets pads on and gets smacked around a couple of times it's still up in the air what he can do vs what Lloyd gave. On paper I'd say Dobson would be better but rook WRs usually take time to adjust to the game at this level and that experience only comes on gameday

As with Branch, until the rooks can prove they can handle the pace of the game and provide on gameday Branch has the edge but only because he had a knack for finding holes. His skills were clearly diminished to the point I wouldn't want him to be on the team anymore but Tate, Price, Nunn, Johnson all were promising rooks who showed talent at camp too. Gameday is different from camp and until they prove something with an opponent going full boar on you I'd give the edge to a vet anyday. Of course that changes after a couple of games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Now that is what you call a win/win situation!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingopatswillwinagain. Show bingopatswillwinagain's posts

tj moe raised my eyebrow for a sec till he hobbled to the sideline for the season a la jeff demps. I dont have much faith in edelman staying healthy, now here is a guy who really is ingury prone unlike the freak injuries to amandola sustained.  I really think you have versatility here cause all the core has great speed, even amendola can move around to the outside. And dont be surpised to see alot of bubble stuff to boice, if you look at what he ran in college its very comparable to the pats short yardage game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I will say different, more diverse and should be able to execute on all 3 levels of the field. Something we haven't had since Moss left. 

I think it's too simplistic to do a 1:1 comparison. Collectively, assuming Gronk stays healthy, this current group is collectively better than last years and opens up this offense. It's all on paper however as of now, but I got to think Brady is at least excited about the potential. I am.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to bingopatswillwinagain's comment:

I know that everyone has made a big deal (media) about whos brady gonna throw the ball too ?? no dumbandez, no welker, no loyyd, well dare I say this group will be better then last year amendola is a better player then welker and faster, if he stays healthy I see a great year, but I will also say brady has more then just one guy now to get the ball too, Dobsons size and speed is very moss like out there, boice I like he  can be very welkerish as well but bigger. No more tiny guys running around out afraid to get hit,  they are young and talanted and if brady can be patient and mold this group we just might see somthing special this year and years to come.------------------prepared to be surprised  

sure they are better...if ur not keeping score

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

I have a feeling Sudfeld will make us all forget about the Murderer very quickly.  Just imagine GRONK and Sudfeld on the field at the same time.  Both are huge, fast and catch everything.  How the hell can a defense cover both these guys + our new group of Big, Fast, Talented and field stretching WR's?

19-0

Undecided

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Exactly what purpose does this post serve? Is rightful optimism not allowed by Patriots' fans on a Patriots' message board?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Keep Tom Brady upright and thius team will be good. The youngsters will have to learn on the fly! However they still have Amendola,Edelman and a slew of TE's to help ease their growth time. Sudfield could be the next Gronklike TE, and Kenbrell Thompkins is the surprise of this camp so far.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In September, the wideout receivers alone won't be better.  Too many rookie receivers, and Amendola won't be 100% on the same page with Brady. 

There's only one Wes Welker, racking up 120 pass completions year after year after year.  Otherwise, the 2012 wide receiver corps was, like young Werner van Braun, taking up space in school. 

In September, the tignt ends won't be better either.  How can you replace Gronk and *Mister Persona Non Grata* on the field?

That said, the various rooks were practicing hard at Coach Brady's Sun 'n Fun camp in Calif. all spring.  I'd say that Brady put half a season into each of them.

Zach Sudfield is an extra ace that fell out of the front office's sleeve.  How did 31 other teams let this guy walk?  He's almost Gronk-sized, he runs well, he catches the ball well and he put in six seasons in college so he's almost not a rookie.  The two knocks on Sudfield are that he broke his leg (can happen to anyone, leg breaks almost always heal well) and that he doesn't have any upper body strength (so he'll lift some weights and then he'll get stronger). 

Dobson seems to be a find for a second rounder.  Boyce seems to be a find for a fourth rounder.  Kenbrell Thompkins looks like a find and a half for a walk-in UFA. 

After week six, the question gets harder with Gronk back on the field.  Dobson and Thompkins give the Patriots a deep passing game that they didn't have in 2012.  This backs defenses off of the line and keeps them honest.  A lineup of Sudfield, Gronk, Amendola and Dobson gets 100% vexing because unlike 2012 there aren't any weak receiving spots to single-team, because cornerbacks must back off far downfield and because the O-line with its double jumbo-sized tight ends is going to knock defensive lines all the way back to the next first down marker on running plays.  A defense's best chance is to blitz Brady to lower his QB rating, but he's about the NFL's #1 in getting rid of the football quickly and his O-line is dominant.  Twin monster tight ends is only going to reduce the blitz's effectiveness.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

All the press for obvious reasons is going toward the WRs but I am curious about the TEs besides Gronk. (I expect Gronk when her returns to be Gronk.) And PatsEng - Gronks incredible year was two years ago - last year was more pedestrian with the injuries in my opinion.) Sudfeld is interesting because he is sort of coming out of nowhere. I am curious about Hooman - he came in late last year and Brady almost never looked to him, but he made a few attention grabbing plays when he did get thrown to. He is more a receiving TE and could well be the AH replacement. Fells? Had a crap year last year with injuries in camp so maybe he comes on again, but ... I suspect he and Ballard are fighting for the 4th spot on the roster from the little we have heard.

On the OP - I think the diversity of this years receivers could be an improvement to the overall offense. As others have said, with no legit threat to the back end the defense could crowd the line which not only affected the passing, but also cramped the running game. Just having the threat whether the production is big or not will keep the safeties back.

I also think we could see Edelman in the slot and Amendola playing a fair amount split out. Edelman basically started the season last year replacing Welker and looked very good doing it. And I would call his injuries pretty freakish as well - I think the last two seasons have been broken bones (hand and then foot.) And Brady trusts him. Wouldn't be surprised if he is not returning punts this year in the hopes of keeping him injury free - though the injuries have come as a WR, it is still extra hits on the punt returns.

I am pretty excited about this offense. And I think in some ways dealing with the rooks and the new players will it will motivate Brady more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey mia,

2 years ago was a great season as a receiver for sure. But last year in 11 games he was on track to put up the same numbers as the previous season and, imo, his blocking he jumped up to a new level. Last year he was easily one of the best run blockers prior to the injury and in combination with his receiving numbers it was his best season so far (pre-injury). It will be tough to match not only his receiving averages from the last two years but also his blocking ability from the previous season

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Exactly what purpose does this post serve? Is rightful optimism not allowed by Patriots' fans on a Patriots' message board?

All of his posts are the same... inane and  serve zero purpose he is a troll. Yet we have posters on this board who actually think he contributes something.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

unproven. Shootz, they haven't even played a pre-season game yet.  It would be nice if some of the taller WR rookies can create separation, fight for balls and YAC, block.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

19-0

I agree with that. It all hinges on Gronk being fit. If he can start the year and stay on the field it will take a lot of heat off these young receivers. Anything can happen with Tom Brady calling the shots

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingopatswillwinagain. Show bingopatswillwinagain's posts

[QUOTE]

well we will be keeping score tommorrow night wont we??

Sections
Shortcuts