Thompkins Starting Strong they say

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Thompkins Starting Strong they say

I have been suggesting that people dont underestimate Thompkins. He could end up being a quality WR and the most reliable of the three rookies from last year. He could be the closest thing TB has had to Branch since... Branch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Thompkins Starting Strong they say

I hope he continues but I remember people saying he was the best rook WR at camp last year and he still ended up getting benched half way through the year while they pulled a guy off the street to play. Really though he's in a fight for the last WR spot along with a couple of rooks and maybe even Boyce so he needs to show something big this year because at times he looked lost before being benched.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

yeah, KT was exposed last year as not being able to get separation when played against a physical defender. maybe he has gotten stronger this year (I will see him Saturday with pads on). I think its one thing to shine in camp, another thing to keep it going against NFL players with scouting reports and nagging injuries.

I said it last years camp, and still feel the same way; as far as potential ceilings, KT's is lower than both Boyce and Dobson. KT may have a better camp, or better first half season, but in the short and long run, I think he is behind the other 2

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope he continues but I remember people saying he was the best rook WR at camp last year and he still ended up getting benched half way through the year while they pulled a guy off the street to play. Really though he's in a fight for the last WR spot along with a couple of rooks and maybe even Boyce so he needs to show something big this year because at times he looked lost before being benched.

[/QUOTE]

Yes I get that. But some of that was injury. ANd some was just that he was a rookie. He showed some plays and stretches of being tough, courageous, talented, capable though not a spectacular athlete - no world class speed for example.

A second year WR should start to show concrete signs of blossoming if he is going to be very good. Thomkins has always looked to me to be on that path. Fan impatience is understandable but reality is reality.

Thompkins looks a bit like Branch to me. We will see how it goes. But my money is on him being solid. Not necessarily the best on the team. But I do expect him to be a good reliable target for TB.

Note reviewing statistics (which is NOT AT ALL what I base my opinion on, just reviewing) that Brnach did have more receptions but he also played in at least one more game. Catches per game and other numbers are pretty similar. As is the fact they both made some important plays (like Thompkins game winning catch) and made a mark by catching balls over the middle and just just the periphery. And both are more quick than fast.

THOMPKINS:

12 games, 32 receptions, 2.75 catches per game suited, 466 yards, 4 TDs long 49

BRANCH rookie year:

13 games, 43 receptions, 3.33 catches per game suited, 489 yards, 2 TDs long 49

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yeah, KT was exposed last year as not being able to get separation when played against a physical defender. maybe he has gotten stronger this year (I will see him Saturday with pads on). I think its one thing to shine in camp, another thing to keep it going against NFL players with scouting reports and nagging injuries.

I said it last years camp, and still feel the same way; as far as potential ceilings, KT's is lower than both Boyce and Dobson. KT may have a better camp, or better first half season, but in the short and long run, I think he is behind the other 2

[/QUOTE]

RKARP - I don't think he was exposed except for the fact he was a rookie. He does have his limitations and so he needs to learn how to make the most use of what he has. That is true of almost every WR in this league. Few are all world (or everyone would be all world!). As per my last post his rookie season was not so wildly different from Branch's. Both made plays over the middle. Both made some important catches (Thomkpins made a great catch to win us a game!). Both had similar stats.

I agree he is the least impressive athletically of the three rookies. But he might end up being the most consistent target of the three and so might be TBs go to guy the way Branch became that just before he left for money.

Tooooooo many here have truly unrealistic expectations of rookies and that goes doubly for WR rookies. Especially in this offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think Thompkins has a problem with his quickness or ability to catch the ball, it's his strength that is his problem. I do think that is correctable - certainly more correctable than trying to manufacture speed - but if he can't get bigger and tougher he will never amount to much. I saw him get pushed around far too often last year, and I witnessed him not holding on to passes that he should of had because he got bumped or moved off his route. His hands didn't look physically strong, his legs are like sticks and his upper body looked frail. If he changed all of that, then yeah, I can see him being a good player for us. I hope he did, I'd love to see him be a 70 catch a year guy who separates and causes defenses fits. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

RKARP - I don't think he was exposed except for the fact he was a rookie. He does have his limitations and so he needs to learn how to make the most use of what he has. That is true of almost every WR in this league. Few are all world (or everyone would be all world!). As per my last post his rookie season was not so wildly different from Branch's. Both made plays over the middle. Both made some important catches (Thomkpins made a great catch to win us a game!). Both had similar stats.

I agree he is the least impressive athletically of the three rookies. But he might end up being the most consistent target of the three and so might be TBs go to guy the way Branch became that just before he left for money.

Tooooooo many here have truly unrealistic expectations of rookies and that goes doubly for WR rookies. Especially in this offense.

[/QUOTE]

fair

I am not looking to comp KT to anyone, including Branch

I don't see him playing over JE or DA if they are healthy. They both are simply far superior players. I also don't want to give up on Dobsons or Boyce upside. They could be huge.

That's 4 players I must keep on the team

Lafell was offered a sizeable contract. Does that make him a lock?

That's 5 WR's. Again, if JE, DA and Dobson are healthy, do you want Gallons upside or KT?

KT is also 26 years old

I don't have my clear cut preferences yet...lets see how it plays out in camp (Dobson may PUP to start the season)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Nothing but good news -

The big increase is in yr 2 - especially for WR's

The new rule enforcement??  might also helo him

This is one of the reasons i root for the PAts - Seeing young kids make it and i ahte essing us fans eat our young

I think Boyce, Dobson, KT all make the club - the rookie wr;s may go to PS

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes I get that. But some of that was injury. ANd some was just that he was a rookie. He showed some plays and stretches of being tough, courageous, talented, capable though not a spectacular athlete - no world class speed for example.

A second year WR should start to show concrete signs of blossoming if he is going to be very good. Thomkins has always looked to me to be on that path. Fan impatience is understandable but reality is reality.

Thompkins looks a bit like Branch to me. We will see how it goes. But my money is on him being solid. Not necessarily the best on the team. But I do expect him to be a good reliable target for TB.

Note reviewing statistics (which is NOT AT ALL what I base my opinion on, just reviewing) that Brnach did have more receptions but he also played in at least one more game. Catches per game and other numbers are pretty similar. As is the fact they both made some important plays (like Thompkins game winning catch) and made a mark by catching balls over the middle and just just the periphery. And both are more quick than fast.

THOMPKINS:

BRANCH rookie year:

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thompkins just reminds me too much of Nunn. Fans fell in love with him and I remember hearing rave reviews in camp and heck even preseason games he looked impressive but in the end he was more flash on the camp field then production on the actual field. Unfortunately for Nunn there were much better WR's to have to compete against in camp then Thompkins had to last year. Thompkins won almost by default. Doesn't mean he didn't earn it but the level of competition was much lower given the injures coming out of camp.

One thing I hate is when people compare numbers of players because numbers don't represent how those numbers came to be. Look at it this way, when Thompkins got his numbers Amendola was down, Boyce was in the tub, Dobson had a nagging injury and was still finding the offense, and Gronk was still MIA. Other than Edelman Brady had no other choice but to throw to Thompkins. A lack of options will artificially enhances any ones numbers.

Not saying Thompkins is a bad WR, but unless something new clicks I'm with Rkarp. I think he's close to his ceiling at this point and won't get too excited about camp performance as he still needs to prove his potential as a 2nd year player is higher than Boyce's, Gallon's, and Johnson's. Lets face it, when you are that far down the depth chart and that young potential with steady improvement have the most bearing and the 3 above might have slightly more potential than Thompkins in the end. But, the most telling thing to me was if Thompkins had more room for improvement then why would they risk adding more injury to Dobson's foot but playing him instead of IRing him and getting surgery right away? Clearly they needed bodies on the field yet Thompkins was still warming the bench. Minor injures or not he was not a better option than Slater which to me is pretty telling. Thompkins has a long uphill battle this summer and needs to show more than he did last summer, which people raved all last summer about too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

THOMPKINS:

BRANCH rookie year:

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thompkins just reminds me too much of Nunn. Fans fell in love with him and I remember hearing rave reviews in camp and heck even preseason games he looked impressive but in the end he was more flash on the camp field then production on the actual field. Unfortunately for Nunn there were much better WR's to have to compete against in camp then Thompkins had to last year. Thompkins won almost by default. Doesn't mean he didn't earn it but the level of competition was much lower given the injures coming out of camp.

One thing I hate is when people compare numbers of players because numbers don't represent how those numbers came to be. Look at it this way, when Thompkins got his numbers Amendola was down, Boyce was in the tub, Dobson had a nagging injury and was still finding the offense, and Gronk was still MIA. Other than Edelman Brady had no other choice but to throw to Thompkins. A lack of options will artificially enhances any ones numbers.

Not saying Thompkins is a bad WR, but unless something new clicks I'm with Rkarp. I think he's close to his ceiling at this point and won't get too excited about camp performance as he still needs to prove his potential as a 2nd year player is higher than Boyce's, Gallon's, and Johnson's. Lets face it, when you are that far down the depth chart and that young potential with steady improvement have the most bearing and the 3 above might have slightly more potential than Thompkins in the end. But, the most telling thing to me was if Thompkins had more room for improvement then why would they risk adding more injury to Dobson's foot but playing him instead of IRing him and getting surgery right away? Clearly they needed bodies on the field yet Thompkins was still warming the bench. Minor injures or not he was not a better option than Slater which to me is pretty telling. Thompkins has a long uphill battle this summer and needs to show more than he did last summer, which people raved all last summer about too.

[/QUOTE]

good points. KT did not regress last year. he fell off the face of the earth

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think Thompkins has a problem with his quickness or ability to catch the ball, it's his strength that is his problem. I do think that is correctable - certainly more correctable than trying to manufacture speed - but if he can't get bigger and tougher he will never amount to much.

[/QUOTE]

+1 Ding ding ding

Exactly. KT looks like a stick out there. I saw a clip of he and boyce just standing together and Boyce has thick legs and a tick body and KT is skinny as a rail.

That hurts him certainly

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont know if Collie was here for that. Dobson had the foot injury. KT hurt his hip and never regained his form. If you go back and look at the first 6 weeks, he was primed for a great year and last year and now, he is still Bradys favorite guy out of all the new folks so anyone who thinks KT is on the bubble, does not know Brady's pull.

I mean, he was a longshot to make the roster but once you get here, your draft spot does not matter. He has the best grasp of the offense out of the young guys IMO. Seperation is overated on this board. He will look different from week to week bases on matchups but its funny how this board thinks you need top notch athletes with 4.2 speed to be effective. For all those gushing over Boyce, he has done nothing. KT is busting his hump out there and making plays. Troy Brown was slower and I dont recall him getting great seperation. He was an all time Pats great though. Now in 2014, guys think Lafell being a # 3 is bad.

all the rooks had moments of temporary lapses and so forth but to me, KT has the best chance of making an impact. Ive never heard of Boyce doing good things in practice and he played one game last year. Dobson with his foot is behind Dobson. Why you think he is in a fight is beyond me. I will let it play out though. Fans have their binkies they want to succeed and let that cloud their judgement I believe. I just dont get it. Boyce is on the bubble, not KT.

Rkarp, Nunn?  The preseason wonder who never saw a reg. season game.?? Thats who you compare to KT??  He reminds me of a smaller, lighter version of Andre Johnson. You guys are gonna be eating crow this year trust me....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think Thompkins has a problem with his quickness or ability to catch the ball, it's his strength that is his problem. I do think that is correctable - certainly more correctable than trying to manufacture speed - but if he can't get bigger and tougher he will never amount to much.

[/QUOTE]

+1 Ding ding ding

Exactly. KT looks like a stick out there. I saw a clip of he and boyce just standing together and Boyce has thick legs and a tick body and KT is skinny as a rail.

That hurts him certainly

[/QUOTE]

By that assesment than Todd Pinkston(Dobson) is never gonna make it either. Wow....some real uninformed comments in this thread. Everyone likes Boyce's frame, speed, agility but the guy hasnt done Jack and yet KT, a guy who earned Bradys trust from day 1 is being outcast??  Strange... 

Remember how much of a an All PRO WR Chad Jackson looked like???  Yea...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

He is only going to make the team if Boyce fails to impress imo.  Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, Dobson and Slater are locks.  Boyce will have the edge simply because of his physical gifts and draft position although Brady loves KT and the kid does seem like a hard worker.  Should be a good camp story.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

THOMPKINS:

BRANCH rookie year:

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

And you know he was over his hip injury and was in the doghouse??  I mean Amendola was shun by Brady by midseason and he was paid like our # 2 option....lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rkarp, Nunn?  The preseason wonder who never saw a reg. season game.?? Thats who you compare to KT??  He reminds me of a smaller, lighter version of Andre Johnson. You guys are gonna be eating crow this year trust me....

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Triple, you just called him a smaller Andre Johnson for some reason I don't think we'll be the ones eating crow on this one. I might be underestimating him a bit, but I think you are greatly giving him way too much credit here. What in Thompkins game can you ever come close to Johnsons abilities? But really if Dobson was playing with a serious foot injury, Amendola was still injured (reportedly), then a minor hip injury (which if it was major he would have been IRed) shouldn't have kept him off the field considering they had no other options. It was basically a 1 footed Dobson, Amendola who you said Brady had no faith in, Collie off the streets who they never even bothered resigning, and Slater. Hip injury or not, if it wasn't serious enough to IR him with then there is no reason he couldn't get on the field with that cast above him if he was as good as you think he is.

We all have our favorite long shots (mine was Francis in 12') but I don't think many of us compare them to top 15 players in the league after they were benched for half a season with no depth at a position of weakness.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He is only going to make the team if Boyce fails to impress imo.  Edelman, Amendola, LaFell, Dobson and Slater are locks.  Boyce will have the edge simply because of his physical gifts and draft position although Brady loves KT and the kid does seem like a hard worker.  Should be a good camp story.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure Lafell is a lock, I can recall too many vets that posters assumed was a lock only to get cut.  

BB will sign a guy like Wendell to a fair market contract and cut him outright if he gets beats out by cheaper rookie alternatives, this goes for receiver as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure Lafell is a lock, I can recall too many vets that posters assumed was a lock only to get cut.  

BB will sign a guy like Wendell to a fair market contract and cut him outright if he gets beats out by cheaper rookie alternatives, this goes for receiver as well.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree LaFell has to earn a spot too but I'd say more than likely's are Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Slater, and Boyce, I say Boyce because he was a 4th round pick and BB typically gives them 2 full years to make it. I actually can't remember him dumping a 4th round or lower pick after a single season other than at QB. Heck even Price and Tate got 2 years to prove something. To me that means 1 maybe 2 spots open. LaFell might have a slight leg up because of size and versatility in blocking. Gallon and Johnson if they can show they can give ST reps as returners might give more value to the team than Thompkins. For right now to me Thompkins has to either show something on STs or so that he is a better WR than LaFell or more potential than Boyce. Judging from last year I just don't see it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I'm not sure Lafell is a lock

LaFell's signing bonus makes him a lock to me.  Wendell's contract was specifically structured so they could cut him with little consequence.  Not the same thing imo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont know if Collie was here for that. Dobson had the foot injury. KT hurt his hip and never regained his form. If you go back and look at the first 6 weeks, he was primed for a great year and last year and now, he is still Bradys favorite guy out of all the new folks so anyone who thinks KT is on the bubble, does not know Brady's pull.

I mean, he was a longshot to make the roster but once you get here, your draft spot does not matter. He has the best grasp of the offense out of the young guys IMO. Seperation is overated on this board. He will look different from week to week bases on matchups but its funny how this board thinks you need top notch athletes with 4.2 speed to be effective. For all those gushing over Boyce, he has done nothing. KT is busting his hump out there and making plays. Troy Brown was slower and I dont recall him getting great seperation. He was an all time Pats great though. Now in 2014, guys think Lafell being a # 3 is bad.

all the rooks had moments of temporary lapses and so forth but to me, KT has the best chance of making an impact. Ive never heard of Boyce doing good things in practice and he played one game last year. Dobson with his foot is behind Dobson. Why you think he is in a fight is beyond me. I will let it play out though. Fans have their binkies they want to succeed and let that cloud their judgement I believe. I just dont get it. Boyce is on the bubble, not KT.

[/QUOTE]

I did not compare him to Nunn. I did not compare him to anyone.

I simplythink JE, DA are better players, Boyce and Dobson and maybe Gallon have more upside, and Lafell has a big contract...KT is 26 years old. all work against KT

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]
    By that assesment than Todd Pinkston(Dobson) is never gonna make it either. Wow....some real uninformed comments in this thread. Everyone likes Boyce's frame, speed, agility but the guy hasnt done Jack and yet KT, a guy who earned Bradys trust from day 1 is being outcast??  Strange... 

Remember how much of a an All PRO WR Chad Jackson looked like???  Yea...

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Boyce is better. Never once said that.

If KT has any limitations in his game, its size and strength.

He can still be a very productive WR without a doubt, but he will always have a glaring weakness, that's all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Triple, you just called him a smaller Andre Johnson for some reason I don't think we'll be the ones eating crow on this one. I might be underestimating him a bit, but I think you are greatly giving him way too much credit here. What in Thompkins game can you ever come close to Johnsons abilities? But really if Dobson was playing with a serious foot injury, Amendola was still injured (reportedly), then a minor hip injury (which if it was major he would have been IRed) shouldn't have kept him off the field considering they had no other options. It was basically a 1 footed Dobson, Amendola who you said Brady had no faith in, Collie off the streets who they never even bothered resigning, and Slater. Hip injury or not, if it wasn't serious enough to IR him with then there is no reason he couldn't get on the field with that cast above him if he was as good as you think he is.

We all have our favorite long shots (mine was Francis in 12') but I don't think many of us compare them to top 15 players in the league after they were benched for half a season with no depth at a position of weakness.

[/QUOTE]

"Hard working kid, hard working kid," Belichick remarked. "One of our hardest workers. Really tries hard to do everything right. Very attentive, very coachable."

Listen to the coach Eng. You are telling me things that you believe but I have not seen. I am not saying he is the second coming. My comparison to AJ is his demeanor, humble attitude, hard working and mean on the field. He can get bigger. You say he was benched and that his injury was minor. Please explain how you know this?  I just dont get why fans would rather have a guy with potential over a guy who has already had success in the league. Brady loves him as does BB. This is what I base my points on. Havent heard much praise for Boyce as like others before him. Chad, Price, Tate, speed, potential all that is nice but means nothing. So IMO, Boyce should be the one people are questioning. We are trying to win now. Who cares about ceiling? u take what you know you have over potential in a "ALL OUT" year like we are in IMO of course. None of the claims you make are substantiated. I mean we employed Chad for 16 games and didnt use him. Was he hurt? Why didnt he play? Why not IR him?  See how it works? You cant assume with the Pats. Go by what you know. What we know is KT has outperformed Boyce greatly since they got here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree LaFell has to earn a spot too but I'd say more than likely's are Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Slater, and Boyce, I say Boyce because he was a 4th round pick and BB typically gives them 2 full years to make it. I actually can't remember him dumping a 4th round or lower pick after a single season other than at QB. Heck even Price and Tate got 2 years to prove something. To me that means 1 maybe 2 spots open. LaFell might have a slight leg up because of size and versatility in blocking. Gallon and Johnson if they can show they can give ST reps as returners might give more value to the team than Thompkins. For right now to me Thompkins has to either show something on STs or so that he is a better WR than LaFell or more potential than Boyce. Judging from last year I just don't see it.

[/QUOTE]

Some years back I predicted McKenzie would be cut after I saw him in preseason. It was his 1st real year after injury. He was a 3rd round pick, Never made it out of TC his 2nd year. Like I said...Dont try to put BB in a box. He will do what he thinks is best, not what pleases fans. I will wait and see but if anyone wants to wager, Im open. Put your $ up. Who makes the team, better year. The guy is praised more than any other of our young guys...what does he have to "show you"?  I think you need to pay attention and see that Boyce NEEDs to show something.....smh

Edleman(contract, knows system), Lafell(contract), Dobson(2nd rd pick), KT(knows system, BB/Brady love him) are locks IMO, barring injury.   Amendola could be cut but I believe he gets a 2nd chance after injury last year but the fact he and Brady are still having issues is troubling to me. Maybe Brady is forcing him out but I thought this time last year they were on page so why it regressed is beyond me.

Lots can happen during the course of camp but as of now and in minicamps, KT has shown the most progression from last year. Dobson with screws in his foot cant get better. I will be at camp tommorow morning for the 1st pads session to try to gauge myself what is what and will report on it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

They could also carry one less tightend giving a larger LaFell a spot, not knocking the guy but nobody is ensured a roster spot, they have to earn it.  Hoping Garappolo and Mallet kill in it preseason so we can either trade Mallet or cut him outright.  Hopefully Cave makes the roster as well, that would open up another spot as it would relieve the need for a dedicated long snapper.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Triple OG, please project to me what KT will do this season.....

what stats do you see him putting up?

Sections
Shortcuts