Thompkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Re: Thompkins

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we need a TE (Mulligan/Hoosyourmomma) to step the f**k up and catch 4 or 5 balls.  I like KT and think he will add something.  Dobson has been a complete bust so far this year so I already expect nothing from him.  That's even if he plays. 

[/QUOTE]

He has played in 12 games, 37 receptions for more than 500 yards and 4 TDs. Not the second coming of Randy Moss, but more than decent. Not a bust.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Stretch the field " WR's are completely overrated, guys get open deep because of play action, guile and miscues by the defense, not because some receivers are magic. 

We won two Super Bowls, one with Troy Brown and one with David Givens as our main receivers.  Whoever we field from our current crop will be good enough.  I hope Dobson comes back because he adds gravy to an otherwise tasty dish of talent.

[/QUOTE]

Good receivers make a difference, I think, Wozzy--guys who can get separation or who are big and tough enough to compete for the ball in tight spaces (or both).  It's not necessarily "stretch the field" talent you need, just guys who can get separation.  Edelman, Amendola, and Collie all are good getting separation in the open field.  I'm not worried about that.  My bigger concern would be the redzone where we don't have a lot of quality bigger targets without Gronk.  That's where I think Thompkins or Dobson could make a difference for us.  

Of course a quality deep threat wouldn't hurt either.  Heck even a guy like Stallworth in the Texans game last year was a nice add. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Stretch the field " WR's are completely overrated, guys get open deep because of play action, guile and miscues by the defense, not because some receivers are magic. 

We won two Super Bowls, one with Troy Brown and one with David Givens as our main receivers.  Whoever we field from our current crop will be good enough.  I hope Dobson comes back because he adds gravy to an otherwise tasty dish of talent.

[/QUOTE]

Good receivers make a difference, I think, Wozzy--guys who can get separation or who are big and tough enough to compete for the ball in tight spaces (or both).  It's not necessarily "stretch the field" talent you need, just guys who can get separation.  Edelman, Amendola, and Collie all are good getting separation in the open field.  I'm not worried about that.  My bigger concern would be the redzone where we don't have a lot of quality bigger targets without Gronk.  That's where I think Thompkins or Dobson could make a difference for us.  

Of course a quality deep threat wouldn't hurt either.  Heck even a guy like Stallworth in the Texans game last year was a nice add. 

[/QUOTE]

If the injury to Dobson keeps him out, why not sign Moss? Knows the system, and has (or at least used to have) chemistry with Brady. Just for the playoffs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think we need a TE (Mulligan/Hoosyourmomma) to step the f**k up and catch 4 or 5 balls.  I like KT and think he will add something.  Dobson has been a complete bust so far this year so I already expect nothing from him.  That's even if he plays. 

[/QUOTE]

He has played in 12 games, 37 receptions for more than 500 yards and 4 TDs. Not the second coming of Randy Moss, but more than decent. Not a bust.

[/QUOTE]

Come on man, those are Undrafted Free Agent numbers not a 2nd Rounder.  Let's not forget he dropped 53% of the passes throw to him.  How about we say he underachieved?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the Pittsburgh game this year was a good indication of what outside WR speed can do to a defense. Pitt had to shade a safety to Dobson's side of the field and he still caught 5 or 6 passes for around 130 yards. This helped open things in the middle of the field.

The Baltimore playoff game last year was an indication of how the Pats' offense could be shut down as B. Lloyd was the only legitimate outside WR (Welker being in the slot and no Gronk). Lloyd was definitely not a speed guy and the Ravens could cheat a safety to the middle or near the line and shut down the Pats' offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Come on man, those are Undrafted Free Agent numbers not a 2nd Rounder.  Let's not forget he dropped 53% of the passes throw to him.  How about we say he underachieved?  

[/QUOTE]

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/01/a_look_back_at_the_9_passes_aa.html

This link says he dropped 9 passes this year. Don't know if it's 100 % accurate but it's not 53 %.

I also think all of the rookie WR's could have been more prepared for the NFL if they did't have to spend so much time playing with Tebow this preseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He had some drops, especially early on, and he hasn't been a great differencemaker. But 25 of 37 receptions went for first downs. I'll give you that I had hoped for more, but I see him as improving and as an important player for years to come. I'll admit my glasses tend to be of the rose colored kind....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This link says he dropped 9 passes this year. Don't know if it's 100 % accurate but it's not 53 %.

I also think all of the rookie WR's could have been more prepared for the NFL if they did't have to spend so much time playing with Tebow this preseason.

[/QUOTE]

My bad.  He caught 47% of his targets.  53% of the balls throw his way weren't caught.

Football Outsider has him at a 51% catch rate.  Someone posted a link in a thread last week and that site had him at 47%.

Edelman by comparison is at 70%

Danny 65%

KT 46%

Boyce 47%

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kind of disagree, I think outside threats open things up underneath and in the middle, it think there is real value in that. I'm not saying "bombs away" is the recipe for success, but you see how corners play a receiver that can get behind them...they play off and give a cushion...that can do things for everyone. So can safeties that have to stay back rather than cheat towards the middle or in close...that stuff matters.

And as far as us winning two Super Bowls with Troy Brown and Givens...Givens ran a 4.5, we had Patten running a 4.3 (that's legit speed) and Branch was running a 4.45 (that's nothing to sneeze at). All of receivers could run, except Brown, but he was quicker than most in his prime...and had the best hands I've ever seen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to m. a. pat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My bad.  He caught 47% of his targets.  53% of the balls throw his way weren't caught.

[/QUOTE]

About 20 minutes after I made my post it hit me that the above may have been what you were thinking. It's not a great % but I thought Dobson was really coming on until his injuries. He's got great size and good speed but time will tell.

Sections
Shortcuts