Thompkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Thompkins

I expect that the young WRs will show well for themselves this year.  Baptism by fire and a full offseason should ensure that we see continued growth. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Folks, I do not think KT has ever been on the bubble this year. The talk by some here who continue to underrate strike me as being too caught up in combine type numbers and in a fantasy football attitiude. KT has, from early last preseason showed more SKILL as a WR than many incuding Boyce. That means reading what route to run, running the route well and catching the ball. Still, he was a rookie and made rookie mistakes. And when you are the BB Pats you dont risk games on mistakes. SO yes he lost playing time he might have had. BUt he was a rookie.

I think Prolate made a comment about getting someone to finally replace Moss. That is NOT KT. KT does not have the speed, does not have special talents on the deep ball - not with speed or height or leaping... But he might be a player who can give us something similar to what Branch did before he held out and walked to Seattle. KT catches balls Moss did not - over the middle.

KT will have competition for field time because we have JE, DA, Dobson and LaFell. But he is not like any of them. They will all have some competition for field time! And the result might be that there is more spreading the ball around when you also add in Vereen (and White to some degree) and of course Gronk.

Bottom line is that KT is not superman, he is not Randy Moss and he is not on the bubble. He is potentially our next D. Branch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thompkins had a really good game last night. A couple plays he wasn't the greatest blocker and didn't look good on routes but that was far out weighted by the TD pass he got. Not an easy catch by any means and does show Brady has trust in him. He also made a nice move on that quick pass 1v1 to get extra yards. He showed a lot this game, maybe enough to warrant the extra WR. Boyce had a decent couple plays too but also had the drop. The penalty watching the replay was tick tack. He didn't even push off just had his hands on the guy. Last night was really a microcasm for the Thompkins vs Boyce debate. Boyce showed flashes of what he can do but isn't there yet and Thompkins showed signs he coud get good production but didn't make you stand up and say he's our starter. Overall I'll have to give credit to Triple, Thompkins showed that he can hang with the big boys and make a couple plays. Now lets see if he can do it again next week for consistency.  

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

[/QUOTE]

Good to hear Thompkins looked good last night. I watched Thompkins at camp last week and he had some drops when things got physical...which I thought was his problem last year. I understand players are going to drop balls in camp, but I didn't want to see him dropping those types of passes. I do think Thompkins has some traits that I like...decent quickness, a little speed, etc...so I'm hoping for the best.

[/QUOTE]

Sad to say, maybe he looks good in the games because the secondary are afraid of all the flag flying around for ricky tacky stuff. In the postseason the refs let the players play more and Thompkins will need to be equally physical. His biggest problem with physicality is how he catches the ball, however he looks improved over last year.

[/QUOTE]

I guess you didnt see the game and perhaps havent seen KT much when he is in games. His TD catch was a perfectly run pattern and a perfect move to catch the ball. THe pass was also perfectly thrown. But his play had nothing to do with flags or no flags. 

What impresses coaches is he (1) puts the effort in to know how to play his position in this O - being on the same page with TB (2) tries to run good routes - he is not totally polished there but is certainly getting there (3) has the courage to catch the ball all over the field including he middle of the field (4) does a good job of catching the ball - that does not mean he doesnt drop a pass but everyone does. That is a percentage game not an absolute never allowed rule because no one would pass that rule. KT does a good job of it. Not wildly good. Not great. But good. And who knows if he will CONTINUE to get better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thompkins had a nice game last night. The td catch was perfect execution and a sign of very good communication between WR and QB

My concern with thompkins is him stringing together games like that, especially when other guys are hurt, when we need him most. Sometimes I forget that this kid is only in year 2 and was a udfa. He is still learning, and learning a very complex offense to boot. 

If it comes down to Boyce, tyms, finch, it will be a tough one. Right now I like them in this order..finch, tyms, Boyce. 

[/QUOTE]

Those are the keywords.  Big reasons for so many broken plays last season, at the start

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Brady spoke about him even last year. He's had a thing for him since the beginning.

Nothing new here, at all.

Oh wait that's right most everyone was too busy saying how all the rookie wide receivers stunk, Pats picked the wrong ones, and needed to be cut because they were not 1000 yard receivers and injury free in their first season.

...and Rusty the others have already pointed out that BL was released because he was too exhausting to deal with. That has been his MO for his career, bi-polar social issues. Yes he is always pretty much successful on the field. Most orgs once they feel they can replicate the production without the headache move on. Pats no different. After being a FA he had interest from others but decided to take a year off.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/report-patriots-got-tired-of-brandon-lloyds-behavior/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/report-patriots-got-tired-of-brandon-lloyds-behavior/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thompkins had a nice game last night. The td catch was perfect execution and a sign of very good communication between WR and QB. 

My concern with thompkins is him stringing together games like that, especially when other guys are hurt, when we need him most. Sometimes I forget that this kid is only in year 2 and was a udfa. He is still learning, and learning a very complex offense to boot. 

If it comes down to Boyce, tyms, finch, it will be a tough one. Right now I like them in this order..finch, tyms, Boyce. 

[/QUOTE]

I think you - as so many others here - do not fully appreciate the fact that rookie WRs (especially on teams like the Pats) have a hard time shining. Yes some do extraordinarily well. But even most good WRs do not shine as much as show some good play and flashes. KT was a rookie. He showed me enough to think he was good as far as that stage of development.

For similar reasons I am not wanting to give up on Boyce but the numbers might make that tough.

I was excited about Finch but I do not think he makes the team. Not special enough and too many good players in front of him AND no skill we dont already have elsewhere.

At this point I put Tyms a nose ahead of Boyce. I would give them both every chance to prove themselves. I hope we are able to keep both but I am not sure how unless someone is hurt and we have not lost the player before hand.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thompkins had a really good game last night. A couple plays he wasn't the greatest blocker and didn't look good on routes but that was far out weighted by the TD pass he got. Not an easy catch by any means and does show Brady has trust in him. He also made a nice move on that quick pass 1v1 to get extra yards. He showed a lot this game, maybe enough to warrant the extra WR. Boyce had a decent couple plays too but also had the drop. The penalty watching the replay was tick tack. He didn't even push off just had his hands on the guy. Last night was really a microcasm for the Thompkins vs Boyce debate. Boyce showed flashes of what he can do but isn't there yet and Thompkins showed signs he coud get good production but didn't make you stand up and say he's our starter. Overall I'll have to give credit to Triple, Thompkins showed that he can hang with the big boys and make a couple plays. Now lets see if he can do it again next week for consistency.  

[/QUOTE]

Good to hear Thompkins looked good last night. I watched Thompkins at camp last week and he had some drops when things got physical...which I thought was his problem last year. I understand players are going to drop balls in camp, but I didn't want to see him dropping those types of passes. I do think Thompkins has some traits that I like...decent quickness, a little speed, etc...so I'm hoping for the best.

[/QUOTE]

Sad to say, maybe he looks good in the games because the secondary are afraid of all the flag flying around for ricky tacky stuff. In the postseason the refs let the players play more and Thompkins will need to be equally physical. His biggest problem with physicality is how he catches the ball, however he looks improved over last year.

[/QUOTE]

I guess you didnt see the game and perhaps havent seen KT much when he is in games. His TD catch was a perfectly run pattern and a perfect move to catch the ball. THe pass was also perfectly thrown. But his play had nothing to do with flags or no flags. 

What impresses coaches is he (1) puts the effort in to know how to play his position in this O - being on the same page with TB (2) tries to run good routes - he is not totally polished there but is certainly getting there (3) has the courage to catch the ball all over the field including he middle of the field (4) does a good job of catching the ball - that does not mean he doesnt drop a pass but everyone does. That is a percentage game not an absolute never allowed rule because no one would pass that rule. KT does a good job of it. Not wildly good. Not great. But good. And who knows if he will CONTINUE to get better.

[/QUOTE]

Port, your comment and opinion on KT well noted. I am one who disagrees on KT. He had a very good preseason last year, maybe better than this years preseason. He was on the field a lot last year early in the season due to injury to others. BY midseason (before he was injured) He regressed to the point of being a healthy inactive for a game, and only seeing the field due to other WR's injuries.

in the regular season last year, we saw a WR that struggled to get into his routes, struggled to keep his feet (he was loudly reprimanded for that last week) and is a WR that catches the ball against his body rather than his hands, which will result in a higher percentage of dropped balls. I continue to see these same things that had him inactive last year, this preseason. 

if we assume health, I can see Edelman, Lafell, Dobson and Amedola getting the majority of the snaps. if we wish to predict upside, Boyce and Tyms have a higher ceiling than KT. KT does not play any ST's. KT is margnal, and we have better WR's on this roster

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Those in the media who said he was on the bubble mostly did so before camp started.  Not too long into camp nearly everyone changed their mind.  Some of the change of heart is due to Brady.  Brady seems to go out of his way to praise KT by name.  Brady has confidence in him.  Going into camp the big question was whether or not our young receivers would make the 2nd year jump.  The team is counting on it.  Most observers say KT has made it.  Boyce has not shown any evidence of a 2nd year leap.  Dobson is an unknown.

As with most such discussions, we'll find out for certain soon enough.  I thought he played pretty well last year.  He had good rookie numbers.  His performance noticeably dropped off after his hip injury.  I take that into consideration when looking at how well he played last year.  Of course, his hip injury was caused by something he is legitimately criticized for; falling to the ground when he catches the ball.  It's as if he wants every catch to look look spectacular.  I have an image of a 6 year old KT being gently thrown a football by his dad 3 feet away and KT falling on his back and rolling 3 times when he catches it.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady spoke about him even last year. He's had a thing for him since the beginning.

Nothing new here, at all.

Oh wait that's right most everyone was too busy saying how all the rookie wide receivers stunk, Pats picked the wrong ones, and needed to be cut because they were not 1000 yard receivers and injury free in their first season.

...and Rusty the others have already pointed out that BL was released because he was too exhausting to deal with. That has been his MO for his career, bi-polar social issues. Yes he is always pretty much successful on the field. Most orgs once they feel they can replicate the production without the headache move on. Pats no different. After being a FA he had interest from others but decided to take a year off.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/report-patriots-got-tired-of-brandon-lloyds-behavior/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/report-patriots-got-tired-of-brandon-lloyds-behavior/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/report-patriots-got-tired-of-brandon-lloyds-behavior/

[/QUOTE]

Yes we are all aware Brady talked about him last year - said he walked through the doors like he was a first round pick...not like an undrafted guy, but I find it interesting (and encouraging) that a year later he is still saying good things about him. Last year I saw a guy who had no problem catching the 15-20 yard pass along the sideline, but I did see a guy who got bumped off his routes rather easily towards the middle and had trouble hanging onto the ball. That's where I want to see improvement, because I just don't think you can have a guy out there who hasn't improved...who hasn't taken that next step. I hope he has taken that next step, I hope he is stronger and more prepared to catch passes on third down over the middle..or battle for position and catch the thing. So hearing Brady speak about him once again in year two was good to hear.

I watched Thompkins last week and he looked like the same guy as the year before - he didn't look any bigger or stronger and he was still dropping balls when defenders were physical with him - and believe me the coaches let him know it. Now that was just one practice - and I wasn't impressed - but Brady obviously thinks he's ready to take that next step. That's why I thought it was worth mentioning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

IDK. I see in the games Thompkins getting reps with the starters. does that mean anything? We haven't seen a lot of Amendola yet. If Danny is healthy, he could be the best WR on the team, right?

It is a nice problem to have, but in my gut, if Danny and or Julian get injured, I guess Thompkins is a decent back up

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

There is no scientific data to support this but thompkins will shine. Brady will see to it. Thompkins came from a tough past. I hope he seed his chance and makes the best of it. 

Its just another testament to how great brady is by what he has to work with. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

But, but I'm a good poster!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Port, your comment and opinion on KT well noted. I am one who disagrees on KT. He had a very good preseason last year, maybe better than this years preseason. He was on the field a lot last year early in the season due to injury to others. BY midseason (before he was injured) He regressed to the point of being a healthy inactive for a game, and only seeing the field due to other WR's injuries.

in the regular season last year, we saw a WR that struggled to get into his routes, struggled to keep his feet (he was loudly reprimanded for that last week) and is a WR that catches the ball against his body rather than his hands, which will result in a higher percentage of dropped balls. I continue to see these same things that had him inactive last year, this preseason. 

if we assume health, I can see Edelman, Lafell, Dobson and Amedola getting the majority of the snaps. if we wish to predict upside, Boyce and Tyms have a higher ceiling than KT. KT does not play any ST's. KT is margnal, and we have better WR's on this roster

[/QUOTE]

RKARP - We do see him differently. I think he hit a wall (rather than "regressed") during the season - meaning he had trouble translating against real game competition. While trying to do what a rookie does - trying to figure out how to play his position at this level - he then got injured.

In his rookie preseason (and season) I do think he showed why he was not drafted but he also showed why he should have been drafted by someone. He certainly showed more than Boyce outside of Boyce's ability to run after he has his hands on the ball.

This preseason he has shown why he is no longer a rookie. And that TD catch from TB is a great example.

Also, when we talk about upside (as with Boyce who I do hope we keep) we often use that to mean they have more elite athletic ability. But in the case of a WR you need to be able to read the coverage, to run the patterns and to catch the ball. KT looks like he has more upside than Boyce in those three areas though not in the elite athletic ability.

I agree it will require great play for KT to see a lot of field time with all the receivers we have (assuming health). But he might get the nod early in the season over Dobson if Dobson needs time to get up to full speed. And if there are any nicks in JE or DA he could see some action. I think the LaFell v KT might be based more on who the match up is. If a bigger WR is a good matchup we see LaFell, if quickness or route running gives a better edge we see KT. 

Tyms is a wild card here. He has some spped and he has size and he is showing a talent for bringing the ball down. He could upset the whole apple cart in a good way if he continues to shine. But he wont be avialable till week 5 at the earliest anyway.

So we dont agree on assessment. Time will tell.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

lmao...took the year off. Nope. Simply not that good. ....IDIOT BOY!! :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why is it that when I do my homework, the truth is a problem???

[/QUOTE]

Idiot Boy, it's because you lie all the time.  FACT. You do know about the children's story about the boy who cried wolf all the time, don't you?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Lloyd was so successful, why isn't he still on the team?

[/QUOTE]

He took a year off from football, apparently.

Go out and get some fresh air. 

[/QUOTE]

what are you smoking? Lloyd was cut right before his 3M roster bonus was due. Reports said it was the locker room attitude that ended his time here.

[/QUOTE]

False.  Or, at least partly false.

Why is it that when I do my homework, the truth is a problem, and people go on the attack to troll because they don't know something???

The Pats only cut Lloyd because of the money they owed him and they weren't comfortable with him not being 100% committed, but were ok with bringing him back at a reduced price. In fact, it was widely suggested Brady wanted Branch and Lloyd back last year, at least in camp:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/brandon-lloyd-gives-up-football-for-acting/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/brandon-lloyd-gives-up-football-for-acting/" rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/brandon-lloyd-gives-up-football-for-acting/

BB does not like it when a player isn't fully committed, so they parted ways. He had little to do with him not wanting to be the mayor of the locker room or his play.

Lloyd was Brady's 3rd or 4th option on most plays still caught an amazing 74 balls with 4 TDs in his first year here.

Try to get the facts.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Troll. You said it was because he took a year off.

Blantently FALSE!

HE was canned.  Period

He wanted to come back at a reduced price but they DID NOT WANT HIM BACK. 

Like we don't want you back

He's a nutjob, like you.

Nobody liked him, like you.

He sucked, like you

He was a cancer, like you.

He's gone, why aren't you?

Good riddance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

Folks, I do not think KT has ever been on the bubble this year. The talk by some here who continue to underrate strike me as being too caught up in combine type numbers and in a fantasy football attitiude. KT has, from early last preseason showed more SKILL as a WR than many incuding Boyce. That means reading what route to run, running the route well and catching the ball. Still, he was a rookie and made rookie mistakes. And when you are the BB Pats you dont risk games on mistakes. SO yes he lost playing time he might have had. BUt he was a rookie.

I think Prolate made a comment about getting someone to finally replace Moss. That is NOT KT. KT does not have the speed, does not have special talents on the deep ball - not with speed or height or leaping... But he might be a player who can give us something similar to what Branch did before he held out and walked to Seattle. KT catches balls Moss did not - over the middle.

KT will have competition for field time because we have JE, DA, Dobson and LaFell. But he is not like any of them. They will all have some competition for field time! And the result might be that there is more spreading the ball around when you also add in Vereen (and White to some degree) and of course Gronk.

Bottom line is that KT is not superman, he is not Randy Moss and he is not on the bubble. He is potentially our next D. Branch.

[/QUOTE]

I merely meant getting another decent downfield or perimeter type receiver once Moss started to decline.  I felt they needed to start re-building that position in the offseason prior to the 2010 season.  They did try, I guess, with Tate and later Price, but not with any success.  KT won't ever be Moss, but I do think he could give us a solid guy in the outside receiver spot and that would be enough.  He's shown flashes, as has Dobson. Last year neither was experienced and healthy enough to be a true answer for our need on the outside,  but both could become real answers with more time.  

Personally, I've always liked KT.  I think he's still a bit raw and inconsistent, but he seems to have a great competitive spirit and enough talent to become a solid contributor. I'm not sure he'll be as much of an impact player as Branch was in his first stint with the Pats, but i think he can be a guy who is good for 50 or 60 receptions per season.  

I do think he makes the roster this year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealBustchise. Show TheRealBustchise's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thompkins read the defender well, understood where Brady would put the ball based on where the defender was positioned, and made a very good back-shoulder catch.  This is something that guys like Welker, Amendola, and Edelman (good as they are at what they do) just can't do.  This is the kind of receiver Brady needs to round out the receiving corp and complement the good slot guys we have.  It's what Ochocinco, Brandon Lloyd, and other guys have been brought in to do without a lot of success.  I think Brady is encouraged to see a guy who looks like he might actually successfully fill a role we haven't been able to fill effectively since Moss left.  

[/QUOTE]

Lloyd had plenty of success. He just hadn't been allowed into the binky club.

Gronk, Hern, Branch, Welkie....Umm, yeah. I am fairly certain those players, including Edelman would be a lot further along in the Binky Brady Club than Brandon Lloyd.

[/QUOTE]

Is that right Queenbo?  It was Brady's fault that Lloyd sucked?  Hey aren't you the idiot that also claimed that it was Brady's fault that Ocho sucked?  What a great trade and subsequent extension that was by BB.  I heard that he was the best GM in football.  Ocho agrees.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Dobson is also a guy Brady likes and trusts and I have no issue whatsoever with BB making sure he's right before throwing him out there."

That's good because by all accounts Dobson isn't ready to go yet. 

"Brady has a nice cache of weaponry here, even without Gronk."

You're joking right? 

First off - no Gronk, no Super Bowl ring. You do get that right? 

Beyond that - the weaponry you are referring to are a couple of undersized, injury prone slots and a bunch of young, unproven, injury prone wideouts - a couple of them with decent speed and size but no one who is proven in the red zone - helpful when it comes to actually scoring points. 

I see what you're doing though, setting up the narrative so that if we lose in a big game "Brady had tons of weapons". 

I'll grant you that if the current squad manages to stay healthy and the young guys develop that WITH Gronk it's a very good unit. 

But I'm not ready to say he has enough weapons. Nor do we know if his offensive line will hold enough to use them. 

later in the season we can revisit this and if these guys are developed and are healthy then I'll agree. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Is that right Queenbo?"

Can you cut it with the name calling please. We have enough issues dealing with Rusty without you adding into the mix with grade school stuff. 

I remember in the 3rd grade when comparing a boy to a girl was somehow an insult. I grew out of it and you should too. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I merely meant getting another decent downfield or perimeter type receiver once Moss started to decline.  I felt they needed to start re-building that position in the offseason prior to the 2010 season.  They did try, I guess, with Tate and later Price, but not with any success.  KT won't ever be Moss, but I do think he could give us a solid guy in the outside receiver spot and that would be enough.  He's shown flashes, as has Dobson. Last year neither was experienced and healthy enough to be a true answer for our need on the outside,  but both could become real answers with more time.  

Personally, I've always liked KT.  I think he's still a bit raw and inconsistent, but he seems to have a great competitive spirit and enough talent to become a solid contributor. I'm not sure he'll be as much of an impact player as Branch was in his first stint with the Pats, but i think he can be a guy who is good for 50 or 60 receptions per season.  

I do think he makes the roster this year. 

[/QUOTE]

OK. I just misunderstood what you were saying.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Port - I might be underestimating KT a little but I think you are overestimating him. The truth is he's most likely somewhere in between. I don't think you can compare him to Branch in anyway but having overall physical stats. Branch could get off the line, generated his own separation, good hands, and had good YAC. That's what made Branch, Branch in the SB years. I don't see the same from KT. KT likes to hit the ground if he hears footsteps behind him, seems to have a CB hanging off of him most times, can get beat up at the line, and has had drop issues. He's not Branch, I'd actually put him closer to a Caldwell type, which as a 5th WR and that isn't a bad thing but I do see him as having a limited upside. However, if you are talking Branch of 2010-12 then yes I would agree that's closer and that's what I would expect from him. 30-50 recs, 400-700 yrds, 2-4 TDS 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Dobson is also a guy Brady likes and trusts and I have no issue whatsoever with BB making sure he's right before throwing him out there."

That's good because by all accounts Dobson isn't ready to go yet. 

"Brady has a nice cache of weaponry here, even without Gronk."

You're joking right? 

First off - no Gronk, no Super Bowl ring. You do get that right? 

Beyond that - the weaponry you are referring to are a couple of undersized, injury prone slots and a bunch of young, unproven, injury prone wideouts - a couple of them with decent speed and size but no one who is proven in the red zone - helpful when it comes to actually scoring points. 

I see what you're doing though, setting up the narrative so that if we lose in a big game "Brady had tons of weapons". 

I'll grant you that if the current squad manages to stay healthy and the young guys develop that WITH Gronk it's a very good unit. 

But I'm not ready to say he has enough weapons. Nor do we know if his offensive line will hold enough to use them. 

later in the season we can revisit this and if these guys are developed and are healthy then I'll agree. 

[/QUOTE]

Gronk is a gamechanger, that's for sure, and I agree that in years past the fact that he was injured in January and February cost them #4. I think however, that the D is so much stronger this year (if healthy), that a SB could be possible without Gronk. But let's not find out, it could be so much fun with him healthy for the postseason.

Back on topic. I like KT. Like his effort, his chemistry with Brady, how he isn't afraid to go over the middle, and that he IMO is clutch. Not  the best athlete, not the best hands, doesn't get as many YAC as he could - but with the game on the line he has shown he can get it done. Brady has thrown to him in those situations, and he has responded.

Where KT can get better, as can Dobson and Boyce, is at being more reliable/consistent. 32 receptions from 70 targets for KT is not good enough, when guys like Welker, D. Thomas, Edelman, Amendola all catch north of 60 pct. passes thrown their way, if not more than 65 pct. Deion Branch averaged a little over 55 pct. (for the part of his career where targets are listed. They started doing that in 2006).

So making that jump is essential, he needs to do more with his targets.

Supra societatem nemo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I get the sense that Thompkins could put up a 75 catch year and some will still be underwhelmed.  The kid has talent and will do well, and I find it even more comforting that he seems to have the confidence and Brady looks for him.   He is part of the WR corps, no doubt about it.  He will make a solid top 3-4 WR, and I think with Dobson needing time and Amendola's history they will need him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gronk is a gamechanger, that's for sure, and I agree that in years past the fact that he was injured in January and February cost them #4. I think however, that the D is so much stronger this year (if healthy), that a SB could be possible without Gronk. But let's not find out, it could be so much fun with him healthy for the postseason.

Back on topic. I like KT. Like his effort, his chemistry with Brady, how he isn't afraid to go over the middle, and that he IMO is clutch. Not  the best athlete, not the best hands, doesn't get as many YAC as he could - but with the game on the line he has shown he can get it done. Brady has thrown to him in those situations, and he has responded.

Where KT can get better, as can Dobson and Boyce, is at being more reliable/consistent. 32 receptions from 70 targets for KT is not good enough, when guys like Welker, D. Thomas, Edelman, Amendola all catch north of 60 pct. passes thrown their way, if not more than 65 pct. Deion Branch averaged a little over 55 pct. (for the part of his career where targets are listed. They started doing that in 2006).

So making that jump is essential, he needs to do more with his targets.

Supra societatem nemo

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Other than the NO game when has that happened? 1 game is enough to call him clutch? Sorry but this is the type of stuff which is why I think he's overrated by many. The kid after the NO game was so clutch BB started to take snaps away from him until he was a healthy inactive. He had 1 great game in Atl where a 1/4 of his stats came from and in NO he only had 3 recs but one was the game winner where everyone fell in love with the kid. 1 catch doesn't make a career but it seems that one catch turns him into Branch in some Pats fans eyes. The kid has been good and if he does what he did on Friday I'd be happy to have him as a 4th/5th WR on the team but lets not start tossing around clutch and Branch comparisons until the kid has done it consistently and not as a 1 off catch here and there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Other than the NO game when has that happened? 1 game is enough to call him clutch? Sorry but this is the type of stuff which is why I think he's overrated by many. The kid after the NO game was so clutch BB started to take snaps away from him until he was a healthy inactive. He had 1 great game in Atl where a 1/4 of his stats came from and in NO he only had 3 recs but one was the game winner where everyone fell in love with the kid. 1 catch doesn't make a career but it seems that one catch turns him into Branch in some Pats fans eyes. The kid has been good and if he does what he did on Friday I'd be happy to have him as a 4th/5th WR on the team but lets not start tossing around clutch and Branch comparisons until the kid has done it consistently and not as a 1 off catch here and there.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying he is an all time great, and I do say that he must work on catching more of his targets. But having played only one season three games stand out to me. Atlanta was a good game for him, NO for obvious reasons, and then try to go back and watch the Denver game, The Comeback. Opening drive of the 2nd half, down 24 who does Brady go to like 3 times straight? KT. At the time both Amendola and Gronk were both healthy, so he was targeted above those two and Edelman. Clutch.

So that is at least twice Brady has trusted him, where he delivered. Again, we're talking about a #4-5-6 kind of guy, not a HOF'er. The Branch comparison was for an area where Branch was better, so it's not like I'm trying to make it sound like he is Branch level. He is not. But he is a nice player, who DOES show up when it matters.

Supra societatem nemo