Thompkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Thompkins

I missed the first quarter of the game last night, but heard Brady talking about Thompkin's touchdown catch. He said he has a lot of trust in Thompkins and hopes they can make those type of connections all year. I think any thought of this guy not making the team - or perhaps not being a contributor - flew out the window with that statement. Brady doesn't talk about a player unless he really likes him...do you hear him talking about Boyce? He never talked about Taylor Price when he was here and seemed to go out of his way not to discuss Ocho Cinco or Galloway. I think it's very telling how much he likes this guy, and I think that it is very telling on how much this guy will be playing this year. It also makes me wonder if Boyce will make the team at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: Thompkins

I agree with everything you said. Thompkins has looked good. To me Boyce is wasting a roster spot. I'm not sure he gets cut though because he was a 4th rounder last year. He's shown flashes but thats it, just flashes. These roster spots are valuable and if Finch makes the team as the kick returner, then why hold on to Boyce? Maybe I'm wrong and this is the year Boyce breaks out, but so far it doesn't look like it. If Bequette makes it, I'll go insane.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Agreed. Brady and Thompkins are developing chemistry. Glad to see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Thompkins had a nice game last night. The td catch was perfect execution and a sign of very good communication between WR and QB. 

My concern with thompkins is him stringing together games like that, especially when other guys are hurt, when we need him most. Sometimes I forget that this kid is only in year 2 and was a udfa. He is still learning, and learning a very complex offense to boot. 

If it comes down to Boyce, tyms, finch, it will be a tough one. Right now I like them in this order..finch, tyms, Boyce. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said. Thompkins has looked good. To me Boyce is wasting a roster spot. I'm not sure he gets cut though because he was a 4th rounder last year. He's shown flashes but thats it, just flashes. These roster spots are valuable and if Finch makes the team as the kick returner, then why hold on to Boyce? Maybe I'm wrong and this is the year Boyce breaks out, but so far it doesn't look like it. If Bequette makes it, I'll go insane.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah if Bequette makes it there is something very very wrong in Patriot land.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thompkins had a nice game last night. The td catch was perfect execution and a sign of very good communication between WR and QB. 

My concern with thompkins is him stringing together games like that, especially when other guys are hurt, when we need him most. Sometimes I forget that this kid is only in year 2 and was a udfa. He is still learning, and learning a very complex offense to boot. 

If it comes down to Boyce, tyms, finch, it will be a tough one. Right now I like them in this order..finch, tyms, Boyce. 

[/QUOTE]

I really don't know what to think of this Finch guy, because I think it's obvious that he would have to be a third down back, and we already have two of those ahead of him (Vareen and White). So I can't see them keeping him just because of his retuirn ability - he has looked good though - but he is going against scrubs for the most part. Someone mentioned that they are featuring him for trade bait, I find that kind of interesting, but those things almost never seem to happen.

Tyms is an interesting guy to me because at least he ran a pretty damn good 40 at one point when he came out. His size speed ratio is very intriguing. I watched him at camp last week and although he didn't look great, he keeps doing it in the games. I want to say Tyms ran a 4.3-4.4 forty during the predraft process, if that is true at his height, then you probably have to keep him because he is showing up on the field.

Boyce is the guy who I thought would take this whole thing by storm and really surprise everyone, so far he doesn't look any different than last year. And that's not going to cut it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Thompkins read the defender well, understood where Brady would put the ball based on where the defender was positioned, and made a very good back-shoulder catch.  This is something that guys like Welker, Amendola, and Edelman (good as they are at what they do) just can't do.  This is the kind of receiver Brady needs to round out the receiving corp and complement the good slot guys we have.  It's what Ochocinco, Brandon Lloyd, and other guys have been brought in to do without a lot of success.  I think Brady is encouraged to see a guy who looks like he might actually successfully fill a role we haven't been able to fill effectively since Moss left.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I didn't see the game last night and I'm not going to pretend like I did.  Going into the game, I also thought that Thomkins was still on the bubble.  It seemed like his play had faltered a bit the past few weeks from the reports I had read.  Well, Brady's comments put an end to those thoughts.  He obviously has a lot of faith in Thompkins, and if Brady trusts him, that speaks volumes.  No way would BB cut one of Brady's favorite, most trusted receivers.  Thompkins isn't going anywhere.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It was a Great throw (by a great QB) and the correct read by Tompkins, my favorite of the 3 2nd year WR's.  I hope to hell BB has the smarts to start Tyms over the Parking Meter Boyce next game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Brady and Thompkins are clearly on the same page.  I'd really like to see this kid make the 53-man.  And that was no run of the mill catch.  That was a qb and wr making precisely the same read with a td the result.  I am reminded of Brady going to Thompkins in the New Orleans game last year with the game on the line and with, what, 6 seconds on the clock? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

If Lloyd was so successful, why isn't he still on the team?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thompkins had a really good game last night. A couple plays he wasn't the greatest blocker and didn't look good on routes but that was far out weighted by the TD pass he got. Not an easy catch by any means and does show Brady has trust in him. He also made a nice move on that quick pass 1v1 to get extra yards. He showed a lot this game, maybe enough to warrant the extra WR. Boyce had a decent couple plays too but also had the drop. The penalty watching the replay was tick tack. He didn't even push off just had his hands on the guy. Last night was really a microcasm for the Thompkins vs Boyce debate. Boyce showed flashes of what he can do but isn't there yet and Thompkins showed signs he coud get good production but didn't make you stand up and say he's our starter. Overall I'll have to give credit to Triple, Thompkins showed that he can hang with the big boys and make a couple plays. Now lets see if he can do it again next week for consistency.  

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Because he stopped routes and exaggerated plays to make himself look better then he actually was. 

Because he dropped easy balls

Because he avoided human contact both on and off the field. 

Because he is a bi-polar whack job

Hey!  Is crusty Brandon Lloyd?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He took a year off from football, apparently.

Go out and get some fresh air. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ya, wrong again.

They cut him off for the cancerous mole that he was.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Lloyd's YAC was very close to zero.  Never even looked like he tried to get a yard.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Because he stopped routes and exaggerated plays to make himself look better then he actually was. 

Because he dropped easy balls

Because he avoided human contact both on and off the field. 

Because he is a bi-polar whack job

Hey!  Is crusty Brandon Lloyd?

[/QUOTE]

Funny

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thompkins had a really good game last night. A couple plays he wasn't the greatest blocker and didn't look good on routes but that was far out weighted by the TD pass he got. Not an easy catch by any means and does show Brady has trust in him. He also made a nice move on that quick pass 1v1 to get extra yards. He showed a lot this game, maybe enough to warrant the extra WR. Boyce had a decent couple plays too but also had the drop. The penalty watching the replay was tick tack. He didn't even push off just had his hands on the guy. Last night was really a microcasm for the Thompkins vs Boyce debate. Boyce showed flashes of what he can do but isn't there yet and Thompkins showed signs he coud get good production but didn't make you stand up and say he's our starter. Overall I'll have to give credit to Triple, Thompkins showed that he can hang with the big boys and make a couple plays. Now lets see if he can do it again next week for consistency.  

[/QUOTE]

Good to hear Thompkins looked good last night. I watched Thompkins at camp last week and he had some drops when things got physical...which I thought was his problem last year. I understand players are going to drop balls in camp, but I didn't want to see him dropping those types of passes. I do think Thompkins has some traits that I like...decent quickness, a little speed, etc...so I'm hoping for the best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what are you smoking? Lloyd was cut right before his 3M roster bonus was due. Reports said it was the locker room attitude that ended his time here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good to hear Thompkins looked good last night. I watched Thompkins at camp last week and he had some drops when things got physical...which I thought was his problem last year. I understand players are going to drop balls in camp, but I didn't want to see him dropping those types of passes. I do think Thompkins has some traits that I like...decent quickness, a little speed, etc...so I'm hoping for the best.

[/QUOTE]

Sad to say, maybe he looks good in the games because the secondary are afraid of all the flag flying around for ricky tacky stuff. In the postseason the refs let the players play more and Thompkins will need to be equally physical. His biggest problem with physicality is how he catches the ball, however he looks improved over last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

It was a Great throw (by a great QB) and the correct read by Tompkins, my favorite of the 3 2nd year WR's.  I hope to hell BB has the smarts to start Tyms over the Parking Meter Boyce next game.

+1 re tyms  and onto the roster (unless we get someone bigger and better).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what are you smoking? Lloyd was cut right before his 3M roster bonus was due. Reports said it was the locker room attitude that ended his time here.

[/QUOTE]

I read some stuff after he was released about his behavior, strange dude, I guess one player said that he would stop you in mid sentence and say...I'm done talking to you...and just walk away. And this wasn't during a confrontation, this was in normal conversation.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts