Those Darn Replacement Refs!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Those Darn Replacement Refs!!!!

They didn't give the media anything to crow about after all I heard was how they are going to ruin football!

Inconsiderate, capable, refs.

I knew all this talk was nonsense. It's not rocket science, it's football refereeing.

Maybe now the "real" refs will realize how GOOD they had it...or not. And they'll be replaced. And nobody will miss them. Boo hoo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: Those Darn Replacement Refs!!!!

and the guy who teaches 8th grade did a darn good job. Nice to see refs that let the game be played.  Nice to see refs that are about the game and not themselves. (Hochuli)   Micheals and Collinsworth were ready to pounce and let the world know what a big mistake the NFL is making by using replacements. Didn't happen. (Don't tell me Mr. Goody is going to be right again.)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

They did do a good job last night minus a few missed holding calls. That said, I think it's beyond ridiculous that the owners can't pony up a lousy 60k each to make this thing go away and get these guys back to work. You have the best product in the world, and yet they are being cheap about the integrity of the game. They may have done a decent job last night, but these guy will cost some team a game at some point. The owners are cheap pr1cks!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

It's not just the money, its also the pension plan which is outdated and better then most of the NFL employees and players.

If the refs go to a 401k plan the deal is basically done, but they refuse to budge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

They did a good job last night but that is a small sample set and don't think those refs weren't the cream of the hand picked crop from the replacement refs last night. That's the ref'ing we are use to and if that's the best they have then we are in trouble.

This weekend will be a much better sample set of games that aren't on the national stage. I'll bet we'll have a bunch of "they did what?" situations to make fun of after this weekend.

My personal favorties from the preseason include the ref who didn't know which team was playing the game, the ref who was confused and needed a 7min conference because there were 2 fouls commited by the same team, and the image of BB on the sideline yelling at a ref to go back to high school. I almost forgot about the ref who threw a flag and the coach starting yelling at him so the ref picked up the flag lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Yeah, great job by the newbie officials last night. Just one game, sure, but the officiating of the last few years had become a joke, anyway.
    By the way, we've seen plenty of game-changing calls by the regulars(including playoff games and Super Bowls!), so when the stand-ins do make errors it certainly isn't going seem like a whole lot has changed to this kid.  
    I wish nothing but the best for these "replacement" guys. So far, so good. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

"Under the current agreement, NFL referees make an average of $149,000 for the full slate of preseason and regular season games.  The NFL has said it offered the officials a raise of between 5 percent and 11 percent depending on experience. "

http://kansan.com/sports/2012/09/05/morris-nfl-should-pay-replacement-referees-the-same-as-league-referees/

the refs may plenty of money for a job that isn't a full time job!  a NFL player only get on average 5-6 years in the league thus he gets 3-5 million per year, a ref can continue refing till his eyesight goes so about 30 years!  so lets do the math

player- 3 million x 6 years =18 million but you could be severely injured when you are done.
    ref-  149,000 x 30 years = 4,470,000 did i mention that these guys only work part time?  how many people make 149,000 for a part ime job?  where you only work august-january?  meaning you have 6 months off per year?  and you don't have to practice between the games, or study a playbook..... sounds like a pretty good deal to me!  where do i sign up?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

They did a remarkable job last night actually.  I was pleased with how quick and crisp the head ref was with making the calls.  He didn't stutter, delivered the call, and moved on.  The entire crew kept up...even in the last part of the 4th quarter.  I was very pleased actually.  Players also did a good job to not try and sneak a ton of foul play in there...no more than normal anyway.

The refs did NOT get in the way and make themselves part of the game or its outcome...unlike some of the regular officials like to do a little too often.  I liked the fact that they didn't go nuts with the PI calls which have become too much a staple of many offenses.  They let the players play.

I thought they called a pretty clean game...the couple things they missed weren't blatant or certainly anything that the regs would have caught with 100% certainty.

I tip my cap to them...well done.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

They did a remarkable job last night actually.  I was pleased with how quick and crisp the head ref was with making the calls.  He didn't stutter, delivered the call, and moved on.  The entire crew kept up...even in the last part of the 4th quarter.  I was very pleased actually.  Players also did a good job to not try and sneak a ton of foul play in there...no more than normal anyway.

The refs did NOT get in the way and make themselves part of the game or its outcome...unlike some of the regular officials like to do a little too often.  I liked the fact that they didn't go nuts with the PI calls which have become too much a staple of many offenses.  They let the players play.

I thought they called a pretty clean game...the couple things they missed weren't blatant or certainly anything that the regs would have caught with 100% certainty.

I tip my cap to them...well done.

totally agree, they did pretty well.  The one call I thought could have been a call was the V Cruz over the middle, down near the 1-yd line / goal line.  Looked to me there was contact before the ball was there.....besides that one, pretty good - but of course, we can't see the little things (in the Line play) that they could be missing, etc....we'll see how this Sunday goes,  but I have a feeling, we will some mess ups by sunday night....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and those nitwits last night on NBC kept on harping on the refs . It was almost as if they went out of there way at times to show a mistake the official made. It's not like NFL officials don't make any mistakes , I've seen them screw up games all the time.  Those replacements did a great job IMHO.
    I like when coach Dungy at halftime just butt in and said " THEY'RE DOING A GOOD JOB " when nitwit no1 was going to criticize a play .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

But lets keep this in perspective. They did a good job and if that's how all the replacements refs were then I couldn't see a single issues just keeping them over the regulars but they were the hand picked crew.

Lets face it, first game on national tv you can bet the owners went to the coaches and over the films and reports and hand chose the best of the replacement refs for this game. There is no doubt in my mind this was the best we will see from the replacement refs.

The real test is going to come on the non-national braodcast games with smaller media markets. That's where you will see the second and third teir ref'ing that could actually impact the game. Watch Jax and Min, Sea and Ari, Cin and Bal and I'm sure you'll see a much bigger impact. To the really good teams and the really bad teams chances are those mistakes aren't going to make a huge difference honestly. The good teams will still win and the bad teams will still lose but what about the fringe teams. The ones where 1 game could mean the difference between making or missing the playoffs. That could eventually impact the Pats as what if the Giants didn't make the 07' or 12' playoffs. Or what if the Jets just sneak in and we have another annoyance to go through. The impact won't be felt until the last games of the season when the WC's are crowned

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

As several here have said, I was also surprised at how well the refs did last night.  I was expecting some stumbling with words do to nervousness when announcing the penalty, I expected them to look and act a bit unorganized, I expected some bad calls that wouldnt have happened had the "real" officials been there but I didn't see any of that.  Wonderful job by them and props to them and the league for this.

Now I am sure that the NFL had their very best replacement refs for this game knowing that it was the beginning of the season, prime time, Giants vs Cowboys, it was big night.  I hope this effort and results continue for these replacement refs until the NFL and the regular refs come to an agreement.  From what I seen last night, hopefully the regular refs rush and accept what the NFL has offered and realize they are living a dream.  Not only financially but hobby wise.

Again, big props to the NFL and replacement refs last night!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

being how well a job these replacement refs did it gives me a lot of reasons to not worry about the ref's impacting the important games because come playoffs these refs will have 16 games of experience and only the best will get to ref the post season.  they will be fine.  the official ones are just greedy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

last nights game to me looked like the game between the Pats and Colts and the Pats/Rams SB when the the defense was allowed to do more with their hands and downfield before the NFL changed the rules because of all the crying about the Pats.....it was a better game alot more fighting for position and hand checking

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Agree... It was refreshing having refs taking a lower profile.  

the replay booth makes their job easier.  real refs need attitude adjustment .

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Agree... It was refreshing having refs taking a lower profile.  

the replay booth makes their job easier.  real refs need attitude adjustment .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I don't think it's that small of a sample size. Through the 4 weeks of preseason, everybody talks about the same 5 or 6 mistakes. The 'regular' refs do that if not more. Except, the 'regulars' refs don't make funny mistakes like looking the wrong way from the camera, or calling Atlanta, Arizona repeatedly, or actually swallowing their pride and making sure they get the call right...no. The 'regular' refs make mistakes that cost games like blowing a play dead inside the 5 and getting the rules changed (Hochuli).

Yes, the guys last night maybe missed a few holds. Just like every other NFL game that gets played, regardless of day of the week, or month of the year...or importance of game, for that matter.

Tge refs WILL make some mistakes this weekend. I hope people don't forget that mistakes have always been made, every week, of varying importance. Too much attention has been paid to this group, and the seldom mistakes they have made.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

My personal favorties from the preseason include the ref who didn't know which team was playing the game, the ref who was confused and needed a 7min conference because there were 2 fouls commited by the same team, and the image of BB on the sideline yelling at a ref to go back to high school.

I know this guy.......we play golf together. It was funny! He is very excited to be doing NFL games. He will take a verbal beating from us at the country club.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

These refs are crazy, they have no leverage.  What they do takes some skill but not rare skill.  Most anybody with enough practice could do their job.  They have grossly overestimated their value.  $150,000 for a part time job is extremely generous.  I would do it just for the free ride and access to the games.

They are not players, they are like cab drivers, and pilots, and construction workers and most any other job in that they have a skill but it is a replaceable one.

There will probably be more mistakes this year but by next these guys will be the same as the old guys.  They need to sign now or I suspect we will never see them again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ma6dragon9 comment:

I don't think it's that small of a sample size. Through the 4 weeks of preseason, everybody talks about the same 5 or 6 mistakes. The 'regular' refs do that if not more. Except, the 'regulars' refs don't make funny mistakes like looking the wrong way from the camera, or calling Atlanta, Arizona repeatedly, or actually swallowing their pride and making sure they get the call right...no. The 'regular' refs make mistakes that cost games like blowing a play dead inside the 5 and getting the rules changed (Hochuli).

Yes, the guys last night maybe missed a few holds. Just like every other NFL game that gets played, regardless of day of the week, or month of the year...or importance of game, for that matter.

Tge refs WILL make some mistakes this weekend. I hope people don't forget that mistakes have always been made, every week, of varying importance. Too much attention has been paid to this group, and the seldom mistakes they have made.

Dragon the same mistakes were talked about because they were funny and made good tv but they made tons of mistakes throughout preseason that weren't nearly as funny but affects the game a lot more. How many times were people screaming about holds? Or how about calling a touch back when the ball was downed 3yds from the goal line? I saw a ton of times where the ref put the ball down and another ref had to come pick it up and move it to the right spot. Last night there were tons of pick plays never called. Or how about the ref who picked up the flag when a coach yelled at him?

These aren't small mistakes these are large mistakes. The Pats for one love to use hurry up and quick snaps, well how affective is that going to be if the refs need to conference on where to put the ball or take 7 mins to figure out a foul giving the opposing D rest? How affective do you think our new rook line is going to be if they are constantly held at the line? Our CB's already run into eachother you want to add to it the ability of WR's to use picks? These are the little things the regs got right on a consistent basis. You just never notice because if they are doing their jobs correctly you should never notice them

BTW you are crowing over last nights game so the sample set is 1 game, not all preseason. A sample set of 1 out of 256 games using the best case scenerio is a small sample set

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I hope the NFL fans can somehow bombard the league with comments about how good of a job this set of refs have done.  We'll have to wait until after Sunday but last nights crew did a great job.  They called what they saw and didn't favor either of the teams.  Wake up Goodell before you totally runin the game with the old refs that think they are bigger than the game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

and those nitwits last night on NBC kept on harping on the refs . It was almost as if they went out of there way at times to show a mistake the official made. It's not like NFL officials don't make any mistakes , I've seen them screw up games all the time.  Those replacements did a great job IMHO.
    I like when coach Dungy at halftime just butt in and said " THEY'RE DOING A GOOD JOB " when nitwit no1 was going to criticize a play .

It's funny that announcers criticize these replacements but would rarely if ever point out the mistakes or questionable calls by the regular officials. If the regulars do come back, like to see them get the same treatment as the replacements.

Sections
Shortcuts