Thoughts after last practice that the public and media will see

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Thoughts after last practice that the public and media will see

-everyone is in a rhythm and is used to hitting and getting hit. They know where they are supposed to be and what is expected of them. Now the coaches put the players in positions to see who is not the best players, but who can most help the team win. 

-I have full confidence Mallett would be very good and this team would win if he is called upon

-I have full confidence in Gostkowski and he is a very good FG kicker. He will miss 5 FG's this year, but will be very good from 45 on in. 

-I am a believer that Scar is an amazing coach. But I prefer this team to carry 8 OL not 7

-I still think some moves are needed for the DT position. Bernard has played well, and is versatile to play inside and out, but he is not big enough. Pats need another big DL

-Mesko should be the choice

-after Brady, the offensive player I have most been impressed with has been Vareen

-think about that last statement. At 36 years old, Brady every day has been the best performing player on the field, every day! I did not see the Eagles practices, but did see the Tampa players. Brady was the best player on the field from both teams. 

-I hope this comes out the right way. Amendola is very, very good. That is most obvious. It is also clear that the 3 young guys are very talented and could perform very well. And then you see and watch Vincent Jackson and drool. Why couldn't the Pats get a guy like this in Brady's tenure, to play with Brady and under BB? More so than Moss, this guy is amazing, and Freeman and Rivers never maxed out what this guy can do. 

-Josh McD will be a head coach again. And soon, maybe not here (I hope he isn't. I want BB at least another 10 years)

-Collins will be a pro bowl player some day

-Chandler Jones will make the pro bowl this year. Ditto Solder

-Wendell has grown on me. He had not in spite of his fine season last year

-Mankins again looks like a top 5 OL in the league. He did not last preseason

-I will be criticized (again) but I don't see it with AWilson. Perhaps now is the time with practice closed that BB puts Wilson in specific spots to maximize what he does well, but he does a lot of SS things simply average. I am higher on TWilson than it appears most are

-I think MCole has made this team. Ditto Bolden. 

-I have to check the rules, but does Ras have any practice squad time available? To my eye, whenhe has been on the field, he is very good. 

-Talib started very, very strong, but tapered off. I think he is ready however

-Arrington did not impress me this preseason. Hope the games show differently

-Hightower. Don't sleep on him. Could be better than Mayo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Re: Thoughts after last practice that the public and media will see

Agreed on DL...they really have to make a concerted effort to buttress the interior DL and not by playing one of their bigger DE's inside on passing downs...that will only lead to running plays designed to wash away 265 lb. LB's with 325-350 lb. guards and tackles.....by the 4th qtr, it will easy downhill running at a time in the game when you don't want that if the Pats are behind....

Hope Arrington isn't feeling too safe after signing that contract...that happens alot...

Agree about V. Jackson, but then again he cost that team a whole bunch....we'd have to draft and develop a guy like that, not sign him in Free Agency, without destroying the salary structure of this team and that will never happen until TB retires.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Nice observations! Like what I'm reading. I'm real interested in seeing what Collins can do and I'd like to watch a little more of the Rutgers safety, to see if he's a guy that will help this team if option A. (A. Wilson) doesn't work, or option B (Gregory), or option C (T. Wilson). I've read he looks good and that's something I haven't read about our safeties in a while.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

Karp, anybody playing themselves off this team?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I thought it was strange that they brought in competition at P but not K. Ghost is OK, but I put him as more or less average. I think he's overpaid. There are at least a dozen kickers I can think of that are better, and more at least as good. Like Carpenter who just got cut by Miami. Whereas, Mesko is among the top 5 Ps in the NFL. 

Agree on VJax, but there aren't many guys like that anywhere. He's in that elite group with Brandon Marshall and Fitz and a notch below Megatron. So, yeah it would be great to have him, but not easy (or cheap) to get your hands on those type of guys.

Also, I suspect there are more than a handful of QBs that wonder what it might be like to be Brady working with the same HC in the same system his whole career and have weapons as he has over the years like Moss, Welker, Gronk and others.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Good stuff thanks, glad you brought up Hightower, from watching him last year, I hope BB lets the Bull loose this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thats a sobering assesment. Ive been saying all offseason we havent done enough on the Dline in terms of getting a tackle. Dissapointing to hear about A.W. esp because he is the only real saefty on the team with veteran experience and leadership. I hope they find a way to hide him on the field so he can provide his smarts but im really hoping he is just taking it light in camp and will burst on the scene when reg. season starts. I dont think Arrington is worth the money he got but we got him either way. Im excited more so for the offense but I feel the defense isnt that much different and not much is gonna change, sorry I just dont see it. I expect improvement but the system is the same so its gonna be moderate. Lets hope the run game allows our D to rest more.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Good stuff.  I'm excited about this team. Hey rkarp, one guy who I have been reading good things about on a consistent basis is the rookie WR Sims. Sounds like he has good size and goo hands. Any thoughts on him? I know he is a way under the radar guy, but do you think he could make the practice squad?  And yes, V. Jackson is an absolute stud.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Couple of comments:

- Gostkowski had a so-so year last year - one that did not appear consistent with his history = I think he has the potential to be a top 5 kicker in the league - whether he becomes one remains an open question

- I too believe that they need more depth/beef on the DL - I see this being addressed with a vet pick up once the teams begin cut downs

- Lots of back and forth on the safety situation on this board - my take is that A Wilson was signed to provide vet savvy and leadership as much as anything else - he'll make the 53-man roster and contribute in a variety of ways - T. Wilson will benefit from A. Wilson's presence - how much remains to be seen - McCourty, if he continues to grow as a safety, should have a very good year

The Pats take an approach in their personnel decision making that not everyone on this board believes in.  Their approach, like every other approach, has consequences - a point that I've heard Bill Parcells make on more than one occasion. In my opinion, the approach that the Pats take essentially precludes the signing of a player like V. Jackson.  Is their approach the 'best' one?  I don't know that there is a 'best' one but it's the one that RK and BB take and will continue for as long as the Krafts own the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

-everyone is in a rhythm and is used to hitting and getting hit. They know where they are supposed to be and what is expected of them. Now the coaches put the players in positions to see who is not the best players, but who can most help the team win. 

-I have full confidence Mallett would be very good and this team would win if he is called upon

-I have full confidence in Gostkowski and he is a very good FG kicker. He will miss 5 FG's this year, but will be very good from 45 on in. 

-I am a believer that Scar is an amazing coach. But I prefer this team to carry 8 OL not 7

-I still think some moves are needed for the DT position. Bernard has played well, and is versatile to play inside and out, but he is not big enough. Pats need another big DL

-after Brady, the offensive player I have most been impressed with has been Vareen

-think about that last statement. At 36 years old, Brady every day has been the best performing player on the field, every day! I did not see the Eagles practices, but did see the Tampa players. Brady was the best player on the field from both teams. 

-I hope this comes out the right way. Amendola is very, very good. That is most obvious. It is also clear that the 3 young guys are very talented and could perform very well. And then you see and watch Vincent Jackson and drool. Why couldn't the Pats get a guy like this in Brady's tenure, to play with Brady and under BB? More so than Moss, this guy is amazing, and Freeman and Rivers never maxed out what this guy can do. 

-Josh McD will be a head coach again. And soon, maybe not here (I hope he isn't. I want BB at least another 10 years)

-I will be criticized (again) but I don't see it with AWilson. Perhaps now is the time with practice closed that BB puts Wilson in specific spots to maximize what he does well, but he does a lot of SS things simply average. I am higher on TWilson than it appears most are

-I have to check the rules, but does Ras have any practice squad time available? To my eye, whenhe has been on the field, he is very good. 

UGH.  With regards to Vincent Jackson, how much does he make? How much does Brady make?

Do you realize this league has a salary cap? When has BB ever paid a WR that kind of money, especially with who else he had to pay here?

What team has ever won a SB with a WR at 14 million per? Answer? ZERO

Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, etc. Ain't happening.  Outside of needing to pay your Pro Bowl QB, doing it with a WR too, is moronic.

Chicago with Brandon Marshall? Nope. Ain't winning a SB with that kind of money invested and Cutler due.

Dallas with Dez Bryant? Wait until he comes due off of Mike Wallace's bloated deal. MIami? Ain't winning a SB.

THANK YOU BB.  THANK YOU.

Vincent Jackson, 2nd round draft choice (61st pick) played 6 years on his rookie contract.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to KWPatsFan's comment:

Karp, anybody playing themselves off this team?

too early to tell, although you can start to read the writing on the wall on who gets snaps....like Vega or Jenkins. I would also assume that players not practicing will have an uphill battle.

I think there are 87 players currently on the roster...and I honestly feel like what we have seen so far was getting the players in a position for the coaches to now put them thru the process to see who fits. there are a legitimate 65 players that could make this 53 player roster. I also believe that a waiver player might come in, but only see that happening on the OL or DL. I thought Green had a very good chance to be that 8th OL, but he is out for the year.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Thats a sobering assesment. Ive been saying all offseason we havent done enough on the Dline in terms of getting a tackle. Dissapointing to hear about A.W. esp because he is the only real saefty on the team with veteran experience and leadership. I hope they find a way to hide him on the field so he can provide his smarts but im really hoping he is just taking it light in camp and will burst on the scene when reg. season starts. I dont think Arrington is worth the money he got but we got him either way. Im excited more so for the offense but I feel the defense isnt that much different and not much is gonna change, sorry I just dont see it. I expect improvement but the system is the same so its gonna be moderate. Lets hope the run game allows our D to rest more.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

sobering? really? I thought the opposite...this is the deepest and most talented team I have seen here in maybe 4-5 years. Lots of young HIGH upside players as well. The future is VERY bright, with some nitpicking on DT depth and SS issues. Very talented coaching staff, top notch ownership...imagine if Gronk was healthy and Hern was available? This team would be the OVERWHELMING favorites for the SB.  

I am also directing this reply to Woozy and Rusty who continuously twist my free agent comments in the off season to an I am "anti Pats...quite the contrary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Good stuff.  I'm excited about this team. Hey rkarp, one guy who I have been reading good things about on a consistent basis is the rookie WR Sims. Sounds like he has good size and goo hands. Any thoughts on him? I know he is a way under the radar guy, but do you think he could make the practice squad?  And yes, V. Jackson is an absolute stud.

Nothing in particular stands out to me with Sims...but to be honest with you, I had not focused on the WR's until the middle to end. IN addition, I did not see every practice...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Nice write up rkarp.

Agree, need more depth at DT.  Not feeling as good about DB and quality depth there as I was earlier in preseason.  Still have no idea why Arrington got a new contract.  It won't be good if Dennard is out and Ras-I doesn't make it.  Never have been sold on Gregory and yet is to be seen that A Wilson will be able to contribute as needed this season.  Sounds like SOS in the D backfield as in the past.  Can we get some decent pass coverage from our LBS?

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Nice write up rkarp.

Agree, need more depth at DT.  Not feeling as good about DB and quality depth there as I was earlier in preseason.  Still have no idea why Arrington got a new contract.  It won't be good if Dennard is out and Ras-I doesn't make it.  Never have been sold on Gregory and yet is to be seen that A Wilson will be able to contribute as needed this season.  Sounds like SOS in the D backfield as in the past.  Can we get some decent pass coverage from our LBS?

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

I assume Dennard is 2-3 games at the most..maybe not even

I like Arrington on the team, but watching practices has shown him to be exactly what we see in games. Strong tackler for a CB, can pressure the QB if called upon, so-so cover guy. BB wants his CB's to hold the edge and tackle well. I was in favor of resigning him, but scratched my head at 4/$14

Call me stubborn. I like Ras and feel he could be a very good CB in the NFL. For all we know, he is nursing a slight hammy and BB has enough faith in him to play some snaps in the 3rd preseason game and he starts opposite Talib in game #1... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

Nice write up rkarp.

I assume Dennard is 2-3 games at the most..maybe not even

I like Arrington on the team, but watching practices has shown him to be exactly what we see in games. Strong tackler for a CB, can pressure the QB if called upon, so-so cover guy. BB wants his CB's to hold the edge and tackle well. I was in favor of resigning him, but scratched my head at 4/$14

Call me stubborn. I like Ras and feel he could be a very good CB in the NFL. For all we know, he is nursing a slight hammy and BB has enough faith in him to play some snaps in the 3rd preseason game and he starts opposite Talib in game #1... 

[/QUOTE]

I like Ras-I too, have always thought he could be a very, very good CB if he could stay on the field.  Starting to lose faith in that happening.

Arrington @ 4/$14 mill is a head scratcher. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

As for the Dline, we haven't even seen Armstead yet and what about Forston will he contribute this year?

The Dline is already upgraded from last year with the addition of Tommy Kelly.  I think depth is more the concern.

How does Grissom look?  Any potential there?

Hopefully Armstead turns out to be what many thought he could be when he's returns.  Glad he was atleast at the mini camps and OTA's.  If he can get some camp work in maybe he can be ready for the start of the season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

UGH.  With regards to Vincent Jackson, how much does he make? How much does Brady make?

Do you realize this league has a salary cap? When has BB ever paid a WR that kind of money, especially with who else he had to pay here?

Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, etc. Ain't happening.  Outside of needing to pay your Pro Bowl QB, doing it with a WR too, is moronic.

Chicago with Brandon Marshall? Nope. Ain't winning a SB with that kind of money invested and Cutler due.

Dallas with Dez Bryant? Wait until he comes due off of Mike Wallace's bloated deal. MIami? Ain't winning a SB.

Vincent Jackson, 2nd round draft choice (61st pick) played 6 years on his rookie contract.  

Wait a second! Rusty told me the second round is where you find your backups and special team players and that we can't expect anyone that was drafted to turn into a pro bowler...what gives? And no one but BB has drafted a player that is any good, so this guy "Vincent Jackson" doesn't exist - for if he did he would only be a troll.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

As for the Dline, we haven't even seen Armstead yet and what about Forston will he contribute this year?

The Dline is already upgraded from last year with the addition of Tommy Kelly.  I think depth is more the concern.

How does Grissom look?  Any potential there?

Hopefully Armstead turns out to be what many thought he could be when he's returns.  Glad he was atleast at the mini camps and OTA's.  If he can get some camp work in maybe he can be ready for the start of the season.

I have no thought on Armstead. I do know he missed a lot of games at USC prior to his heart condition.

I actually saw the DL a lot at practice. Hard to tell too much, but I thought going in Fortson had a spot to lose. I did not think he showed enough so that if some one came available off waiver, Fortson could be in trouble, esp if Armstead is able to play.  Grissom looked good in some one on one sessions against Tampa. Against the PAts OL in practice, he did not. I think he is a long shot. Very long. Maybe practice squad. SOme one said he could turn into Love if he got stronger.

Kelly looks very good. My concern is depth. The less we see of Kelly on the field, I think the moe effectve he will be..I would like to see him in on 60-70% of the snaps...but it is troublesome to think Fortson or Bernard gets those remaining available snaps. Honestly, if it does not work for Love in Jax, I would take him back for depth.      

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Interesting stat....

Tom Brady didn't throw a single interception in 186 pass attempts during 4 joint team practices vs Eagles and Bucs.  This includes 11 on 11's, 7 on 7's, and 1 on 1 work.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Umm, yep, but he spent a lot of time hurt and what did SD earn with him there? Nothing. One AFC title appearance.

So, he used his stats to leave to the highest bidder and SD never kept him.

That's the danger with that position. We've seen our own WRs use Brady and his status here. Branch, Givens, Moss, etc.

Now Welkie.

BB concedes the idea that WRs in FA will use their cache to cash in.  Hence, bidding on Vincent Jackson in FA is moronic (unless you can somehow control the deal within your budget like he did with Ocho).

Why do you think BB resigned Gronk and Hern so quick? To avoid losing them to FA due to wild prices.

Jackson's first 3 seasons for receptions:

3, 27, 41 and 59.

His best season came in 2009 and then he only played in 5 games in 2010 before looking for the big contract in 2011, where he held out as a guy with an injury history.

I'd rather have Amendola at 6 mil thank JAckson at 12 million.

Bludgeoned.

first of all Jackson is playing this season at $3m...his contract then escalates the next 3 years.

I never, ever said the PAts should have signed him as a FA...did I? I said I wish the Pats had a WR here like him during Bradys tenure

I stand by my original comment. I would have loved to see TB with a WR like Jackson at one point in his career.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Umm, yep, but he spent a lot of time hurt and what did SD earn with him there? Nothing. One AFC title appearance.

That's the danger with that position. We've seen our own WRs use Brady and his status here. Branch, Givens, Moss, etc.

Now Welkie.

BB concedes the idea that WRs in FA will use their cache to cash in.  Hence, bidding on Vincent Jackson in FA is moronic (unless you can somehow control the deal within your budget like he did with Ocho).

Why do you think BB resigned Gronk and Hern so quick? To avoid losing them to FA due to wild prices.

3, 27, 41 and 59.

His best season came in 2009 and then he only played in 5 games in 2010 before looking for the big contract in 2011, where he held out as a guy with an injury history.

Bludgeoned.

first of all Jackson is playing this season at $3m...his contract then escalates the next 3 years.

I never, ever said the PAts should have signed him as a FA...did I? I said I wish the Pats had a WR here like him during Bradys tenure

I stand by my original comment. I would have loved to see TB with a WR like Jackson at one point in his career.  

Umm, were you in a coma from 2007-2010?  Randy Moss was here. He's a HOFer.  Jesus. Just give it up already with this subtle excuse train you and other run here for Brady choke jobs in playoff games or SBs.

The board is tired of it.

Moss was great...I will never deny that, but he was a 1 trick pony. I would have liked to see some one like Jackson, Marshal or the like here. Maybe 1 day Harrison turns into something like that

I think the board is tired of you and your Brady trolling!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

[QUOTE]

Now Welkie.

3, 27, 41 and 59.

Bludgeoned.

Umm, were you in a coma from 2007-2010?  Randy Moss was here. He's a HOFer.  Jesus. Just give it up already with this subtle excuse train you and other run here for Brady choke jobs in playoff games or SBs.

Moss was great...I will never deny that, but he was a 1 trick pony. I would have liked to see some one like Jackson, Marshal or the like here. Maybe 1 day Harrison turns into something like that

[/QUOTE]

Don't bother. You seem like a really good guy RKarp, and it's not worth your time getting into petty arguments. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'd rather have a healthy Gronk than ANY WR who ever lived.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

You'd rather have Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson over Randy Moss? Hmm.

When Moss was in his prime he could tell the DB what he was going to do and still burn him. And this was prior to the anti-pass defense rules.

What's wrong with a one trick pony when he can't be stopped? Jax and Marshall are great players but Randy is in a different league than those guys imo.