Thoughts going into week 1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thoughts going into week 1

Been gone for a while. Was on vacation in VA, PA for a week. Got some much needed R n R.

While I was gone, Lots of things transpired. The Logan trade being the biggest. I had mixed feelings about it but as of now, I understand WHY they did it and Im anxious to see if T.Wright can help this team.

Its disappointing that we have so many question marks just a week before kickoff namely with the O line and the lack of depth behind our 3 starting linebackers. I think I would feel better if I saw Mayo play at least one snap also.

Lots of talk about hybrid defenses but even still you need linebackers. I suspect BB will continue tampering with the back end of the roster with the hopes of finding the right combo by midseason. Puzzling why we have not brought in a guy like a Q.Groves who was just signed. I think my best guess is that C.Jones and Nink will be playing more LB than DE this year in a 3-4, making the LB depth not as bad.

I saw Boyce make it to the p/s as he did show some last year but its clear he was behind KT as I stated at the beginning of camp. KT is a natural at everything except catching where he is still raw but good enough to put up 50 catches and 5 TDs IMO which aint bad. I wonder if Boyce sticks all year. I thought he dogged it this summer and wasnt deserving of a spot.

I am probably in the minority here but Ive liked M.Butler since day 1 and believe BB will start him week 1 like he did w/Dowling (also vs Miami?) I just saw him on the field so much its hard not to notice how they have been grooming him. Dennard played strictly slot in week 3. I dont know how long but I def. think BB likes Butler a lot and I have told fans here for 2 years that Dennard is nice but ultimately a slot guy, not an outside guy.(we learned that last year in Denver). Ryan and Arrington are the 4th and 5th CB/S.

I was wrong about the safety spot as all 3 look to be in the mix. Not because they are great but offer different skillsets and BB had the roster spots after lots of surprising cuts.(Kelly, Smith, Worthy)

I have heard lots of criticism in regards to J.White and here is my take. I havent seen enough of him. He def. hasnt shown much running the ball but to say he will never have success is premature IMO. He could be a slow starter a la Priest Holmes. Atleast he can pass block and catch which means he still has a place in this pass happy offense. The Pats plan on playing lots of 2 back, 3 wide sets w/no TE. He factors in that mix as Ridley isnt a good catcher. I have been disappointing with his running but since we have Rids/Vareen, we can wait for him to find his stride. I noticed that he always goes down 1st contact and has little to no moves. I have to venture he is hurt or overthinking...no way he racked up all those yards if he CANT run...Give him a year.

I am not overly concerned with the D as BB has enough parts to put together a competitive bunch and Revis is on his game.

Now offensively, I am a bit concerned. I like what we have at skill positions but I am nervous about all this movement on the line. Brady needs to feel comfy and not be thinking about the rush. I hope this is hashed out by week 4 or it could be a problem.

I am anxious to see T.Wright. Didnt get to catch last game but I saw highlights. Looks like he can help.

I dont know much about the new D lineman we picked up but they are on the roster so hopefully they can help as there are lots of question marks there. Easely must be ready to go and they are just holding him back.

I dont know why Vellano made the team. I thought better players were cut. Kellys release must be more to do with him not wanting to play in the 3-4 as he is def. better than some of the bums they kept.

Excited to start the season but still have a few concerns. I suspect we can get by Miami though. After week 1, BB will bring in a few more guys who's contract wont be guaranteed?

Im a little disappointed w/Practice squad. I thought we needed another O line prospect and a DB. Not sure why they are hanging on to Boyce/Bequette who seemed to have opportunities they did not take advantage of. Glad to see Gray make it though. If Rids keeps fumbling, he will be called up soon.

I got the Pats getting by in this one.... 27-10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Thoughts going into week 1

Welcome back Trip

Pats-24

Phins-14

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Thought I heard under BB, we are 0-2 First week we play Miami down there. Hope we change that trend. That heat is hard, for a team that doesn't practice there from day 1.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thought I heard under BB, we are 0-2 First week we play Miami down there. Hope we change that trend. That heat is hard, for a team that doesn't practice there from day 1.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure of record. I recall the Troy Brown o/t game that we won. That was the 1st in a while at the time.

I think BB has been doing a good job of conditioning these guys for week 1. Always has them running extra sprints after practice and the last few years he has rotated the starters to keep them fresh. I think the team will be prepared, however I dont know how many snaps Gronk will play, ditto for Mayo who cant be in game shape at this stage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm thinking 27-10 is just about right.  We'll see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm concerned with the lack of gelling by our O-line.  Too much shuffling around and now the loss of their leader.  I suspect Brady is going to go down a few times this Sunday, and we are going to get beat in the trenches on offense limiting our run game. 

I'm also concerned about our lack of depth in some areas, and wonder if our linebackers and DE's might get overworked in the heat of Miami. 

That being said though, I still think our offense is going to put at least 3 TD's on the Phins, and our defense with all our starters out there are going to have us jumping out of our lazy boy's and dancing around our living rooms quite a bit. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Patriots 31

Dolphins 20

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Patriots 31

Dolphins 20

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

Love the photo, but I'll be slightly disappointed if we give up 20 to the Phins.  Tannehill should spend the majority of the game running for his life.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Pats 27

miami 17

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm concerned with the lack of gelling by our O-line.  Too much shuffling around and now the loss of their leader.  I suspect Brady is going to go down a few times this Sunday, and we are going to get beat in the trenches on offense limiting our run game. 

I'm also concerned about our lack of depth in some areas, and wonder if our linebackers and DE's might get overworked in the heat of Miami. 

That being said though, I still think our offense is going to put at least 3 TD's on the Phins, and our defense with all our starters out there are going to have us jumping out of our lazy boy's and dancing around our living rooms quite a bit. 

[/QUOTE]

I def. share your concerns agill. My thoughts are that we can probably survive Miami. Week 4 is the 1st Real test but Minnesota wont be easy either. Peterson, Patterson, Rudolph are a tough trio and Cassell knows this D.

I think vs Miami we are ok, mainly because they are putting out 5 new starters on their O line, making our situation seem less desperate. Revis will take out Wallace and Dennard/Butler can contain Hartline. Collins will likely cover Clay as well as Arrington/Ryan but Im worried that Lamar Miller may do some damage on the ground. Not enough to win though. I believe BB will be shuffling a lot with the hopes of having a steady group by week 4 when we have a huge monday nighter vs the Cheifs and a Sunder nighter vs Bengals. Those are two tough games back to back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Love the photo, but I'll be slightly disappointed if we give up 20 to the Phins.  Tannehill should spend the majority of the game running for his life.

Thanks on the pic. 

As for the score, well... I see the Dolphins getting 2 FG's and a TD while the game is somewhat still competitive but then I see the Dolphins getting a late TD towards the very end of the game long after the Pats have it wrapped up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I'm anxious to see Easley, I think he will end up being a steal as long as his knees hold up. I could see Vince and Siliga on the DL in running situations, that would be formidable. And Easley and Chris Jones in passing situations. And I like the pickup of Kelcy Quarles to the 53 man roster. The Giants were upset that he didn't make it through to their PS. He's another DL that can get to the QB. On defense we are a little thin at LB but Darius Fleming has been a pleasant surprise. We could drop Nink and Jones to OLB in a 3-4. And this is the most talent the Pats have had at DB maybe ever, or at least in a long time. We know what we have in Revis, but Malcolm Butler has turned some heads since OTA's. I always liked Dennard and thought he was a steal when we drafted him, but it looks like Butler will start next to Revis, and if he keeps playing well the Pat's will have a tough decision when Browner comes back. I think BB has confidence in his DB's and we will see an aggressive man defense with plenty of blitzing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

I'm terrible at these types of projections.  It's like George Costanza.  Whatever I say, the opposite happens.  I don't think this game will be easy.

We'll have some obstacles to overcome.  It's away and Miami fans may get to the players.  The heat and humidity will be bad.  Our unproven O-Line might have to work out some kinks.  Gronk will probably play only 12-15 downs.

My prediction: Pats 18, Fins 13.  Our defense will win this one by stalling Dolphin drives in the 2nd half.  A close first game could be good in the long run.  As the year progresses, our offense will get better and better and be a juggernaut by year's end.  The D will be steady and reliable. The wildcard is health, but that is how it always is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm anxious to see Easley, I think he will end up being a steal as long as his knees hold up. I could see Vince and Siliga on the DL in running situations, that would be formidable. And Easley and Chris Jones in passing situations. And I like the pickup of Kelcy Quarles to the 53 man roster. The Giants were upset that he didn't make it through to their PS. He's another DL that can get to the QB. On defense we are a little thin at LB but Darius Fleming has been a pleasant surprise. We could drop Nink and Jones to OLB in a 3-4. And this is the most talent the Pats have had at DB maybe ever, or at least in a long time. We know what we have in Revis, but Malcolm Butler has turned some heads since OTA's. I always liked Dennard and thought he was a steal when we drafted him, but it looks like Butler will start next to Revis, and if he keeps playing well the Pat's will have a tough decision when Browner comes back. I think BB has confidence in his DB's and we will see an aggressive man defense with plenty of blitzing.

[/QUOTE]

I agree on all points. I love that we found another cover guy in Butler. I think he is fresh so to speak in comparison to Dennard who I compared to E.Hobbs early on. Great out the gate but lack of size has taken toll on his body. I dont think Dennard is 100% and I dont think BB likes him outside anyways.

Browner may have to carve out a role when he returns. I dont think he is a great Cb outside due to the rules in place. He gets beat deep a lot and so I look for help over the top OR maybe he takes the role of 3rd safety/in the box, covering tight ends where I think he can flourish and not have to worry about staying with faster guys downfield. Butler may very well stay there all year, barring a rookie wall which is likely. I am excited about Easley if healthy. We need interior push and he fits the bill. I like what I saw from Fleming but think he is still raw and I would like to see another veteran backer here after week 1...even if its a B.Carpenter type signing. Dane Fletcher still around?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dfitzp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree on all points. I love that we found another cover guy in Butler. I think he is fresh so to speak in comparison to Dennard who I compared to E.Hobbs early on. Great out the gate but lack of size has taken toll on his body. I dont think Dennard is 100% and I dont think BB likes him outside anyways.

Browner may have to carve out a role when he returns. I dont think he is a great Cb outside due to the rules in place. He gets beat deep a lot and so I look for help over the top OR maybe he takes the role of 3rd safety/in the box, covering tight ends where I think he can flourish and not have to worry about staying with faster guys downfield. Butler may very well stay there all year, barring a rookie wall which is likely. I am excited about Easley if healthy. We need interior push and he fits the bill. I like what I saw from Fleming but think he is still raw and I would like to see another veteran backer here after week 1...even if its a B.Carpenter type signing. Dane Fletcher still around?

[/QUOTE]

Easley is still unproven.  In addition, he has problems with both knees. Hopefully, he will be recovered enough to get into game shape and familiarize himself with the D.  I don't expect much from him until around game 12 or so - and then maybe not show anything significant until next year when his knees have been rehabbing closer to a couple of years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

(That being said though, I still think our offense is going to put at least 3 TD's on the Phins, and our defense with all our starters out there are going to have us jumping out of our lazy boy's and dancing around our living rooms quite a bit.)

Love this comment, it is what I am hoping for this season. Back to over a decade ago.

/x/details.png/x/bookmark.png

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Easley's first knee has had a year, and it's stronger than when he started.  Easley's second knee will be a little weak for a year and could possibly re-injure, but don't bet on it.

TexasPat pointed out that the temperature today in Foxboro was about the same as the forecasted temperature in Miami at game time, and it was humid today also.  There may be a thundershower on Sunday afternoon.

BB teams are historically weak in September and stronger in December.  That said, this team is going to be so much stronger than the team we saw last January on the field. 

The Phins already have major holes, two big drug suspensions this week at first rounder defensive end and starting safety, no center, no guards and no linebackers whatsoever. 

BB has had two Dolphin players up here in Foxboro.  They may or may not have told the coaching staff about Miami's new wrinkles and signals.  Miami can't take any chances. 

I can always hope for a blowout.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

45-10 Patriots

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

45-10 Patriots

[/QUOTE]

That feels more like it to me . . . 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pats demolished the Dolphins in Week 1 of the 2011 season in Miami. 

Sections
Shortcuts