Thoughts on Pats Season Record:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record:

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record::
    [QUOTE]12-4.  The offense will be better. 1.  Brady looks much steadier on his surgically reconstructed knee.
    Agree this is big  
    2.  Brady has more targets and can spread the ball around more making them less predictable and demanding that teams cover people other than Moss and Welker.
    Disagree. Welker was better last year than he will be early this year. I don't see Tate or Price contributing much past special teams. Watson's production last year was under rated. I see a struggle for Hernandez and Gronk to play to Watsons level. I do see Crumpler helping the running attack 
    The defense will be better. 1. The shock of losing Seymour, Bruscki, Harrison, and Vrabel is in the past. 
    Disagree. The front 7 is very weak and inexperienced. Burgess is past his prime, and relying on Mackenzie/Spikes/Cunningham is going to cause growing pains
    2. Safety, conerback, ILB, and OLB have been upgraded. 
    mcGowen played very well last year. Dont see Chung at that level yet. Dont count out Sanders
    With the addition of Warren and the subtraction of T. Warren the line is a wash.  (Had Ty not been injured would the line have been nicknamed something like the killer W's or law firm - Waren, Warren, and Wilfork? Just wondering)
    Did you see G Warren play last year?
    Special Teams will be better. 1.  McCourty looks like the real deal.  He could be the best kick returner since Raymond Clayborn.  OK, maybe that is an exageration but the guy looks like a pro already. 12-4, deep into the playoffs.
    Posted by TampaPete[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record: : May I ask what the question marks are on the O Line or D Line?   Also, when was the last time Tom Brady led is team to only 9 wins???
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

2002 @ 9-7 I believe with TB @ the helm and out of the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]Burgess is "past his prime" yeat had more sacks that Bryan Thomas for the Jets in far less games/snaps taken. Burgess is 31, not really "past his prime". 
    What does Thomas have to do with Burgess? Did you watch Burgess play last year? Did he ever set the edge against the run? Other than one game, how much qb pressure did he muster?

Why do you not see Tate contributing much past Special Teams?  What are you basing this on?
    Until Tate improves his route running, he will never have Brady's confidence, making Tate a non factor at WR. See Galloway as the most recent example. If you are not where you are supposed to be, you dont see the ball from Brady 
    The Front 7 is "weak an inexeperienced"? Burgess, Warren, Wilfork, Mike Wright, TBC, Mayo are "inexperienced"?  
    I actually feel Burgess is on the bubble. The inexperience comes from Pryor, Brace, Deadrick and G Warren never playing in this type of defense. Wilfork and Wright (especially) are not every down on the field players. You will see a front 3 rotation with 5 of the players either being first or second year players, or never playing this system before. Similiar with the LB's. Guyton, Spikes, Mackenzie, Cunningham will be in the rotation. Maybe Murrell. Where is the experience in this system other than Guyton being a second year player?
    Are you sure you want to use that word to describe the majority of the front 7?
    Yes. Absolutely. The front 7 will consist of 14-16 players with 6-8 of them being first or second year players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Still tweaking the numbers, but right now 13.2 victories out of 16.  Just don't ask how the Patriots can win .2 of a victory.

14-2 is just my feeling.  It may take more results for the numbers to catch up with all the new talent, but the first quarter of the New Orleans game gave the Pats a big stride toward 14.  McCourty:  Check.  Edelman blossomed in his second year: check.  Welker, no, not yet.  Spikes, check.  Cunningham, no, not yet.  Tate, Gronk, Hernandez:  maybe New Orleans was concentrating on them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

9-7 and miss playoffs...Problem is no Defense.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]The schedule is a bear and I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude on the defense. They gave up far too many late leads last season and no matter how you slice it, did not fare well against top competition. Realistically, I think, 10-6 would be a good year. The key will be to avoid the killer injury ( 0 for 3 so far in that department) and to handle their division business. Speculation around here usually is that the Pats tend to improve as the season progresses, and that certainly did NOT happen last season. I'm optimistic the youth movement will come together, but I chuckle quietly to myself when I see people throwing 13-3 or 12-4 up there. When was the last time the Pats beat a good team?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Come on Mike, that's no fun.  Remember "Sherman ... Atlanta"?  Come on, let's hear it.

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jshinny. Show jshinny's posts

How is it that almost everybody has forgotten that in the games the Patriots lost last year in the second half the offense was just as bad as the defense to close out those games.  Denver, MIA, NYJ, Indy, HOU, all games that the offense was dreadful in the second half.  This D is not that far off and certainly shouldn't shoulder the entire blame for last year's collapses.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

[QUOTE]Pats never lose back-to-back and they never lose after a bye. That's with Belichick and Brady at the helm. I highly doubt it'll happen this year.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Pats never lose home playoff games with Belichick and Brady at the helm either -oh hang on. Pats haven't really addressed their failings from last year(namely pass rush and Oline being able to protect Brady against the better defenses) so unless BB gets these young defensive players to play at an unbelievable level 9-7 is the best I see them going. Injuries are already starting again after pre season week 1 we have 2 players out for the year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Addressing one thing at a time:

ronk1 said, "Disagree. Welker was better last year than he will be early this year.

You may recall that Welker was having problems early in the year last year with a knee.  In fact, he missed the Jets game the Pats lost.  I believe he will begin stronger this year and when he isn't in there, Edleman, not being a rookie, will be much improved.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]So, this team went from "old and slow" to "inexperienced" even though the entire starting D minus Warren, Green and Guyton returns.  You seem to have an awfully high opinion of Ty Warren and Jarvis Green.  That's your opinion and I disagree. WHat does Thomas have to do with Burgess?  How about he reprsents an upgrade fro Thomas in 2009 just based on effort alone? Burgess came into camp last August and ended up taking Thomas's job away from him. This means he learned a new system, played hard and improved from a 3rd down rusher to a multiple down player. This also means it's HIGHLY LIKLEY that position will be improved this year. Unless of course, you have a very high opinion of Adalius Thomas in 2009? He's 31, had 35 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 1 FF. I'd have to look at how many snaps he was on the field for, but he was better in a shorter span than Adalius Thomas was.  If he played more snaps, you can bet his production would be higher than that. Look around the AFC East and look at some other OLBs. Burgess, per snap, was more producitve thaqn Bryan Thomas. BRyan Thomas was on  a #1 rated D. Burgess was on a D in flux with a brand new secondary. There is no way Burgess comes in here after BB not fining him for taking 2 weeks for personal business and then cuts him in the next 2 weeks. He passed his physical, he's cheap, they need him and under contract. Say what you want with your doom and gloom like it's fact, but this team is not going 8-8 with Brady and this offense. The D may need some time to become playoff ready, but they aren't going 8-8. Did you see Spikes in the game the other night?  You don't see him as a more explosive player over Guyton even just from one game?
    Seems your were wanting to say Adalius, but said Bryan Thomas.
    The point your are missing is that you feel the Pats defense consists of the 11 starters. It doesn't. They will rotate 18-22 players over the 16 games on defense. The "experienced returning players" you mention, Banta Cain, Guyton, Wilfork, Wright are not every down players (who is these days?) The front 7 or 8 will consist of 14-16 players:
    Wilfork
    Wright
    Warren (never played this system before)
    Pryor (2nd year player)
    Brace (2nd year player)
    Lewis (never played this system before)
    Deaderick? (first year player)
    Spikes (never played this system before)
    Mackenzie (never played this system before)
    Cunnigham (first year player)
    Guyton (2nd year player)
    Mayo
    Banta Cain
    Ninkovich
    Chung (2nd year player)
    Butler (2nd year player)
    Mcourtney (first year player) 
    That is 17 players who should see significant playing time this year, of which 12 of the players are 1st or 2nd year in the system, or have never played the system.
    I was very unimpressed with Burgess performance last year. He was HORRIBLE with the exception of 1.5 games (with one of the games against the worst OL in football...the Bills)
    Look, I hope the team comes together. IMO youth is never served in football other than RB's. The team needed to be turned over. Now it will take its lumps. The schedule is brutal, the division,a laughingstock the past 5 years is now maybe the toughest in football (pardons to the NFC east).
    I just don't see the these ridiculous claims of 11-14 wins. 6-9 wins IMO is much ore realistic.
    Btw, I thought Greem was also horrible last year, and Ty Warren was at the end of the line anyways. I just dont see the answers being G Warren, Burgess and some first year players. That being said, I also felt that Adalius played better than he was given credit for on these boards

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Ronk1 says, "I don't see Tate or Price contributing much past special teams."

You may be right about Price.  It is quite possible he doesn't get more than 15 receptions.

On the other hand, I see Tate filling the Gaffney role (2008:
    44 receptions for 468 yards and two touchdowns) very well.  In fact, Tate is far more dangerous after the catch than Gaffney could dream of being.  He is exceptionally quick and can make people miss.

Gaffney 40 time: 4.5

Tate 40 time: 4.3

Parcels drafted an injured Curtis Martin and look how that turned out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]Addressing one thing at a time: ronk1 said, " Disagree. Welker was better last year than he will be early this year. You may recall that Welker was having problems early in the year last year with a knee.  In fact, he missed the Jets game the Pats lost.  I believe he will begin stronger this year and when he isn't in there, Edleman, not being a rookie, will be much improved.
    good call! he actually missed 2 games< Falcons and Jets. But first 8 games he did have almost 5o rcpts. Have to think that may be a reach this year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]Ronk1 says, "I don't see Tate or Price contributing much past special teams." You may be right about Price.  It is quite possible he doesn't get more than 15 receptions. On the other hand, I see Tate filling the Gaffney role (2008: 44 receptions for 468 yards and two touchdowns) very well.  In fact, Tate is far more dangerous after the catch than Gaffney could dream of being.  He is exceptionally quick and can make people miss. Gaffney 40 time: 4.5 Tate 40 time: 4.3 Parcels drafted an injured Curtis Martin and look how that turned out.
    Pete
    I appreciate Tate's speed. I also liked what I saw at practice with his hands. My concern is his route running. If he doesnt improve, which is the hardest part of the WR position, I dont see Tate on the field other than ST's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Ronk1 says, "Watson's production last year was under rated. I see a struggle for Hernandez and Gronk to play to Watsons level."

Watson stats: 2009 REC 29 YDS 404 AVG 13.9 LNG 36 TD 5

I liked Watson but for whatever reason, he never performed to his potential. I also thought he was underutilized as was Graham.

Having watched Hernadez a lot over the past year, I can tell you he is a pass catching machine, and it appears that BB plans on using him extensively. He can actually make people miss and at 250 lbs., he can abuse DBs when they try to tackle him. He is also clutch as he was Tebow's goto guy on third down.

I saw Gronk flatten a couple of people last Thursday night. I don't expect him to catch a lot of balls even though he showed the ability to get down field in college. I do expect that he will be used very effectively in short yardage situations.

Crumpler is not the receiver he used to be, but I expect he will see more balls that Baker did. More importantly he is a proven blocker. I expect the running game to improve just because of the tight end blocking.

Baker had 14 passes for 142 yards and two touchdowns.

Watson and Baker combined: REC 43 YDS 546 TD 7

As recently as 2006 Crumpler beat that himself: REC 56 YDS 780 TD 8. Will he do that again? Probably not. The Pats will use him mostly for blocking but he will be a huge upgrade there.

Overall, I expect to see more tight end production, both receiving and blocking, than last year.

I was also impressed with how Crumpler came over and talked to Hernandez during last Thursday's game. It is one thing for reporter's to write about him mentoring the young tight ends, it is another to see it in action.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

13-3

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

10-6

Pat's D will have a lot of trouble getting the ball back which will add more pressure upon the offense.  On the upside, special teams will give the boys good field position all season long.  A playoff berth and a defense that is improving as the season goes on will have to be considered a success.  Anything more will be a pleasent surprise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record: : No, I said Bryan Thomas to compare an OLB  in a supposed SB defense with the Jets not really producing at a better rate than Burgess. That's why I introduced that comparison. Adalius played better than given credit for? Dude, he quit.  Did you enjoy him loafing around like he had a knife stuck in his calf? If Burgess was "horrible" learning a new system on the fly as a 3-4 subrusher until taking Adalius's job, what was Adalius?  "Super horrible"? I question how many games you watched last year with your analysis.
    I did not see enough of Bryan Thomas to have an opinion on how he played.
    I thought before Adalius was sent home for coming to practice late, he set the edge against the run very well and he shed blockers very well. I thought he was a step slow when he was in against the pass, and he did not rush the passer enough. I thought when he did rush the passer, while he did not get "sacks", he did apply pressure.
    I thought Burgess was run around and run over against the rush, preactically invisible when setting the edge. I also thought he was unable to shed blockers, and was very weak trying to get pressure against the passer with the 1.5 game exception.
    I think most "analysis" on Burgess is that he is indeed "done", and not for the Pats poor OLB depth, he would be out of football.
    Yes, I watched all games in person, as well as even more practices in person.
    Yet I am making the point that the Pats defense is too inexperienced to expect more than 7-9 wins, and you counter with "did I see Bryan Thomas play". You then come back and tell me "Adalius was super horrible". Do you care to comment on the Pats inexperience? Or do you wish to predict 13 wins just because "you think so"? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]NE PATS 2010 schedule & Results (I know a guy who's got this whole  time/space continuum all figured out ) Sept. 12: Cincinnati, 1 pm -   Pats 27  Cinc 24 ( T.O catches 2 tds but drops potential game winner ... Oohh dat Butler better get it figured out ! ) Sept. 19: at Jets, 4:15 p.m.  Pats 16  Jets 10 ( Sanchez ends game with red zone pick ...Yah ...Thaz my Butler !) Sept. 26: Buffalo, 1 p.m.      Pats 31   Buf   6 ( Bills officially eliminated from playoffs) Oct. 4: at Miami, 8:30 p.m.   Mia 21   Pats 20 ( 4th qtr meltdown in hot & humid Miami  ) Oct. 10: BYE         ( Pats trade Mankins ) Oct. 17: Baltimore, 1 p.m. Ravens 24 Pats 20   ( This time ~ Ravens aerial attack is the difference as Brandon "U-Turn " Merriweather is benched in 4th after allowing back-2-back "mental error " tds to Boldin ) Oct. 24: at San Diego, 4:15 p.m   Pats 30 SD 27   OT ( 3 weeks of agony finally over as  Gostkowski hits from 44 yds out  ! ) Oct. 31: Minnesota, 4:15 p.m.     Pats 24 Vikes 20 ( Favre plays but Brady shreds   Vikes pourous Dbs ... Anxious moment to start 2nd half when Jard Allen blindsides Brady ... Briefly out but returns to toss 2 td passes to Moss ) Nov. 7: at Cleveland, 1 p.m.       Pats 38 Browns 13  ( Mangini magic ? ... GM Holgrem has seen enough and axes the rat after 0 - 8 start ) Nov. 14: at Pittsburgh, 8:20 p.m  Pitt 17 Pats 13    (Unfortunatley... 3 - 5 Steelers pick 2nite to get it right ) Nov. 21: Indianapolis, 4:15 p.m.  Pats 30 Colts 28 (Storied rivalry adds another page as Pats come back from 3 scores down to win on last play of game ~ Gostkowski from 44 again !) Nov. 25: at Detroit 12:30            Pats 41 Lions 17 ( Still riding the high from the Colts game ~ Brady throw 5 tds to 5 different receivers ) Dec. 6  : NYJets     8:30            Pats 23 Jets 14 (Shonn Green keeps it close but Sanchez turns the ball over 3 times in cold & windy Fox ) Dec 12  : at Chic    1:00             Pats 30 Bears 23 (Pats clinch AFC East as Cutler throws 3 tds / 4 Ints in windy city ...Lovey Smith fired from 3 -10 Bears ) Dec. 19  : Green Bay  8:20         Packers 31 Pats 27 ( Tough Pats loss in Fantasy Football match-up made in heaven ~ 800 total passing yards ) Dec. 26  : at Buffalo  1:00          Pats 20 Buf 0 ( Game over when Pats kick Fg on opening drive ~ Bills manage just two 1st downs entire game ) Jan 2     : Miami        1:00          Pats 16 Miami 6 (Dolphins knocked out of wild card hunt in Snowy Fox as Pats clinch AFC 2nd seed ! )                       2010 Patriots   ~ 12 - 4     382  / 279                         TEAM LEADERS                   BRADY ~  34 tds  /  11 Ints  / 4016 yds MOSS ~  14 tds / 1288 yds MARONEY ~ 8 tds / 751 yds  Gostkowski ~ 28 fgs / 142 pts                
    Posted by CapFoxboro[/QUOTE]

We can always win, we can always lose. I don't see Miami, Ravens, or Packers beating us.....15-1 maybe 14 - 2

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record: : Seems your were wanting to say Adalius, but said Bryan Thomas. The point your are missing is that you feel the Pats defense consists of the 11 starters. It doesn't. They will rotate 18-22 players over the 16 games on defense. The "experienced returning players" you mention, Banta Cain, Guyton, Wilfork, Wright are not every down players (who is these days?) The front 7 or 8 will consist of 14-16 players: Wilfork Wright Warren (never played this system before) Pryor (2nd year player) Brace (2nd year player) Lewis (never played this system before) Deaderick? (first year player) Spikes (never played this system before) Mackenzie (never played this system before) Cunnigham (first year player) Guyton (2nd year player) Mayo Banta Cain Ninkovich Chung (2nd year player) Butler (2nd year player) Mcourtney (first year player)  That is 17 players who should see significant playing time this year, of which 12 of the players are 1st or 2nd year in the system, or have never played the system. I was very unimpressed with Burgess performance last year. He was HORRIBLE with the exception of 1.5 games (with one of the games against the worst OL in football...the Bills) Look, I hope the team comes together. IMO youth is never served in football other than RB's. The team needed to be turned over. Now it will take its lumps. The schedule is brutal, the division,a laughingstock the past 5 years is now maybe the toughest in football (pardons to the NFC east). I just don't see the these ridiculous claims of 11-14 wins. 6-9 wins IMO is much ore realistic. Btw, I thought Greem was also horrible last year, and Ty Warren was at the end of the line anyways. I just dont see the answers being G Warren, Burgess and some first year players. That being said, I also felt that Adalius played better than he was given credit for on these boards
    Posted by ronk1[/QUOTE]

Is ronk short for Chronic?..cause you be smokin some baby.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsTxGrl. Show PatsTxGrl's posts

19-0

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

We had many issues last year from a Patriots perspective, yet made it 10-6. ( Rus 11-5). There were some close games we should have and could have won, no doubt we would have in past years.

Is our offense worse, better, or the same? Same RB's, age is a joke ( Maroney lead us and he should still be getting better ) Taylor and Morris both injured. So better there. TE, Watson was a joke, better there, both blocking and rec. WR, same group, Edleman more experience, Tate healthy, Moss healthy, better there. O line, Vollmer more exp, Mankins gone, Light healthy....Kaczur who cares..lets say worse.

Overall we are no doubt looking better.

Last year we scored the second most points in the AFC behind San Diego, 427 of them, thats right, more than Indy. Offense is important guys and other teams better bring there D.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]Drunk1, I didn't predict 13 wins. Yes, my comments on the Pats "inexperience" claim of yours appears to be unfounded and borderline stupid. Smells like the one liners in 2006 and 2007 saying the Pats D was "old and slow". Every single player on the defense has playoff experience except for Brandon Spikes.  Many have SB experience including Wilfork, Burgess, TBC.  Merriweather, too, if you want to go deeper into the defense. Miami has not one player on defense with experience in a SB outside of Karlos Dansby. I just chuckle that now the major flaw here as more continuity is a reality here for the first time in 2 seasons on D, apparently, is "lack of experience". I am not even Miami has any players with more than one playoff game as a starter on defense, if they even have that.  Maybe Bell at Safety from the 2008 season. Does this mean Miami is in deep trouble on D, with Chad Henne as their QB? If NE is going "8-8", what is Miami doing with Henne?  4-12? I find people like you, who scramble around being either the ultimate sky is falling fan rep or a troll, completely irrational, pretending the premise of "inexperience" holds any water when so many teams have far less. Enjoy getting through college with a limited understanding of deductive reasoning and support of that reasoning.
    Russ, we disagree. I have stated why I feel 7-9 wins is realistic and you have resorted to calling me name. Lets end it now before you make yourself look more foolish. If you ever attend a game, come visit me and I will buy you a beer. I have season tix behind the bench in sec 111 7th row up. Call out for Ronk and I wont miss you. Beer is on me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

On Defense inexperience is a concern, but all these second year guys listed should only get better ( first year guys don't count right? ), the below guys would be expected to get better. They have another year in the system and regular reps ( not that they will all make it or play ):

Meri, Chung, Butler, Bodden, Burgess, Wright, Brace, McGowan, Woods, Guyton, Mayo, TBC, Ninkovich, Pryor, Wilhite, Wheatley, Alexander, thats all I can think of.

So forget the rookies, Spikes, McCourty ect...or FA G Warren ect..

Despite the loss of Green and T Warren I am not shaking ovewr the fact we could fall apart compared to last year.

Last year we allowed 285 points, third in the AFC behind Balt and the Jets. We can match that.

So we won 10 ( 11 ) games last year, we will match that at the least and beat that most likely.

12-4 my guess

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Ronk,

Was kinda brainstorming and despite you pointing out the youth on our team I can not figure out how we get worse than last year by 3 games. Think you said 7-9. Now we have the same inexperienced team as last year this year and they were good for 10, we are not older right?

Can you elaborate further?

I take your point is that A. Thomas, T Warren, Mankins, Kaczur, and Galloway = 3 wins. Maybe we can pull some stats that show how they contributed to those 3 wins last year?