Thoughts on Pats Season Record:

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record:

I think your points are valid as to inexperience and 9 wins is not to far fetched if things go bad, i don't see us falling below this because the offense can carry us.

My question is did we not have these same concerns on defense last year as well and still manage to pull off 10 wins?
    The only legitimate player I see lost is T Warren and I thought he seemed a shell of himself last year thus not much missing much if he is replaced with G Warren.

We are not depleted with injuries? Kaczur was a backup as he had lost his spot to Vollmer, and T Warren you admitted wasn't much last year. Who else?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

12 - 4 , 12 wins should win the division
    Miami 11 - 5, they won't sukkk
    Jets 9 - 7, this year they earn 9
    Bills  3 - 13, ok maybe 0-16 is more likely

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

12-4, have been reading how all this youth has rejuvenated Brady and have seen him do a few things that he hasn't done in a few years. 

My only concern is the ends, I think there's enough depth there now.  Not a full time starter but a rotation.  OLB as something is something to watch but I was very happy with Murrell's performance against the Saints starters.  MLBs this year is a power house of depth, against running downs I can see 4 MLBs on the field at the same time, from R to L Guyton Mayo Spikes McKenzie. 

On the O, these guys are ready hope the line is figured out but as the D line there's some depth and guys who can play multiple positions.  L and R tackles are set but the middle needs work.  Been saying for a while, watch out for Bussey he will earn a starting job.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Giving each game a percentage of likely success I come out with 10-11 wins. Teams are made from the bottom up - from the line back; D and O. Not having their best DE (Ty Warren) or their best OL (Mankins) is not something to minimize when you realize football is essentially a game of fundamentals. The questionable status of Mankins replacement (Kazur) may feel less significant, and it well may be if one of the younger players steps up, but it doesn't help. With those healthy at this point in time (every team will eventually suffer injuries) I would have ended up with at least 11-12.

It is the quality of other key components of the team that keeps them with such a solid number of wins in spite of what appears to be a hugely difficult schedule.

Having said all that there are too many variables for all teams to really have a solid idea beyond whether their basic units (O,D, ST) are weak, average, above average or strong. Certainly it is easy to see the basic strengths and weaknesses - and questions that need to be answered for most teams. For the Patriots the questions started out with:
    1. Will they be able to not only generate a good passrush during the course of the season but will they be able to manufacture it in key situations agasint strong teams
    2. Will the OLB be able to set the edge while supplying the needed passrush above
    3. Will enough of the young members of the secondary "get it" enough to turn an inconsistant secondary into a strength (obviously passrush will play a role here... that's the very point of it)
    4. Will the O be able to make key short yardage first downs and touchdowns. There were quite a few critical plays during the course of games last season when they were failures in this too overlooked (not sexy?) aspect of the game. They were much less successful when Neil was out of the lineup. Will a loss of Mankins keep the quality of their short yardage game down? Will Neil, againg, be able to play relatively injury free? Will the use of Crumpler and the 2 rookie TEs help (either by using one of the TEs as lead blockers between the tackles or by focusing on running behind a tackle and TE rather than straight ahead)?
    5. The questions about the receiving core appear to be abating. Still, just how good will Endelman (or Tate, or even Price) and the trio of TEs be? While Welker's return is very promising, the DEGREE of quality (not just quantity of catches) can offset other weaknesses and translate into keeping a win in the win column or turning a loss into a win.

So - I expect 11 wins (taking the optimistic side of 10-11). Pleasant surprises (anywhere!) could push that. Multiple pleasant surprises can really push it - a truth for EVERY team. A disappointment - including a key injury (say for example to Moss or Light or even Gostkowski... or Maroney is havng a break out season and then goes down for the count - they may replace him but would the pleasant surprise of a break out season be matchable from the other backs - all of whom are good but none of whom are feature backs at this point).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I don't think this years Pats will lose to all the top 2009 teams this year. Especially since all those games except San Diego are at home. FYI, don't see Pittsburgh as a top team and we'll beat them this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record::
    I don't think this years Pats will lose to all the top 2009 teams this year. Especially since all those games except San Diego are at home. FYI, don't see Pittsburgh as a top team and we'll beat them this year.
    Posted by Wizardsjag

I expect you are right about Pittsburgh. Not simply because they have to go 4-6 games without their topflight QB but the loss of Santonio Holmes will show and the fact that the rest f the team does not appear to have the quality they had 2 years ago. That they will be a well coached and physically tough team, able to keep themselves in more games than the weak sisters of the league is exected. But I would not put them in the First tier.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record: : I expect you are right about Pittsburgh. Not simply because they have to go 4-6 games without their topflight QB but the loss of Santonio Holmes will show and the fact that the rest f the team does not appear to have the quality they had 2 years ago. That they will be a well coached and physically tough team, able to keep themselves in more games than the weak sisters of the league is exected. But I would not put them in the First tier.
    Posted by portfolio1

I see Pittsburgh as a 8-8 team, that will probably start out 1-3 then they have a pretty tough stretch of games right as Rothlisberger comes back so they'll IMO they'll could start out 2-7 or 3-6 after the Pats game before they rebound.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record: : Lets all hope that I am wrong. The away schedule is murderous. Indy, Minny,Ravens, Cincy at home is no picnic. Figures this is the year we don't get Denver! Figure we need an upset win at home to get into the playoffs. Also figure Rodgers, Manning and Favre could put up 30 points on our defense. Lets say payback on the Ravens and Pats get in! Sept. 12: Cincinnati, 1 pm  W Sept. 19: at Jets, 4:15 p.m L Sept. 26: Buffalo, 1 p.m W Oct. 4: at Miami, 8:30 p.m L Oct. 10: BYE Oct. 17: Baltimore, 1 p.m L   Oct. 24: at San Diego, 4:15 p.m L Oct. 31: Minnesota, 4:15 p.m L Nov. 7: at Cleveland, 1 p.m W Nov. 14: at Pittsburgh, 8:20 p.m L Nov. 21: Indianapolis, 4:15 p.m L Nov. 25: at Detroit 12:30 W Dec. 6  : NYJets     8:30 W Dec 12  : at Chic    1:00 W Dec. 19  : Green Bay  8:20  L Dec. 26  : at Buffalo  1:00 W Jan 2     : Miami        1:00 W
    Posted by ronk1

Ronk you have us losing 6 out of 7 games in a 8 week stretch including the bye. I am assuming you are factoring in some kind of food poisoning in the Pats organization or perhaps a multi team member kidnapping.

I suppose Belichick,Brady,Moss,Welker,Maroney,Mayo,Merriweather AND Vince Wilfork could be riding the same plane through the Bermuda Triangle and then we might see the Pats lose 6 out of 7 games.

SIX OUT OF SEVEN GAMES? Have you lost your way sir?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Still tweaking the numbers, but right now 13.2 victories out of 16.  Just don't ask how the Patriots can win .2 of a victory. 14-2 is just my feeling.  It may take more results for the numbers to catch up with all the new talent, but the first quarter of the New Orleans game gave the Pats a big stride toward 14.  McCourty:  Check.  Edelman blossomed in his second year: check.  Welker, no, not yet.  Spikes, check.  Cunningham, no, not yet.  Tate, Gronk, Hernandez:  maybe New Orleans was concentrating on them.
    Posted by Paul_K

Not impossible but very, very optomistic.

Seeing as the Vegas over/under line for Pats wins is 9.1, I'd recommend betting the house on the over!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

This looks like Brick from the show The Middle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

"I laugh at the troll comments, while I have been a season ticket holder for the longest of times."  Ronk1

Ah ha. Now I see that you must have been in a coma since the Rod Rust days and just awoken a few weeks ago. Tom Brady doesn't lose 6 out of 7 games Budrick.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phoenix125. Show Phoenix125's posts

The Patriot's will go 2 - 14 this season.  Tom Brady will break both his knees in the third game of the season.

The Raiders will have a record of 11 - 5.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

This looks like Brick from the show The Middle.
    Posted by underdoggggg

I had to google that one but  yeah, there is a resemblance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

The Patriot's will go 2 - 14 this season.  Tom Brady will break both his knees in the third game of the season. The Raiders will have a record of 11 - 5.
    Posted by Phoenix125

Lets all sing together: "Some where over the rainbow."

I change my vote from 15-1 to 17-1 (We go back to Oakland 2wice and kick the Raiders a-- using the "tuck" rule just for good measure and cause we can!)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Posted by ewhite1065

Very nice troll by the way. "the chronic" has season tickets, I guess even trolls have jobs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record: : ^^This is what I am envisioning you looking like as a real life troll.  Just because you use capital letters and repeat the same word over and  over doesn't mean you have anything that remotely resembles a point here. NE has plenty of experience all over the field.  Their starting D Line's youngest player is Mike Wright. Jerod Mayo is now in his 3rd season. Bodden is 28. Merriweather is entering his 4th season.   Plenty of experience all throughout each portions of the field. FACT
    Posted by russgriswold

As soon as I saw his prediction I knew he wasn't a fan. The Patriots haven't lost 8 games in over a decade and he has them winning no games in the month of October. I'll let you know the next time I find a Pats fan with a prediction that negative.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Pats Season Record: : Very nice troll by the way. "the chronic" has season tickets, I guess even trolls have jobs.
    Posted by gmbill

Thanks Bill, Just doing my job man.
    Some people probably think I don't have a job with the number of posts I have.
    Right now I just have a good job though.

Sections
Shortcuts