Thoughts on the Belichick Move?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Thoughts on the Belichick Move?

As some of you now know, Belichick said through a press release that the Patriots would not be hiring a defensive coordinator implying someone or a combination of people from his existing staff will carry those duties. Here are my thoughts on why I think it's a great move.

1) From what I hear, Patricia is a good up and coming coordinator and Pepper has experience and seniority. By not declaring either of them as the defensive coordinator, you keep the heat under both of them by a) leaving the door open for a full-time position (or at least the full-time role minus the title) and b) make it competitive, which is actually the Patriots system: generate as much competition as possible for each position to better everyone's preparation. Sort of like the 'rising tides lift all boats' approach.

2) People who say Belichick is "losing it" don't have a clue. I'm a homer and I'll admit that but I don't think Belichick lost "it" overnight, especially coming off a season two years ago in which he rallied his team around Brady's injury and still led the Patriots to an 11-6 record. His background is clearly on the defensive side of the ball and since we have a young defense, they're easier to mold into the Patriot Way of playing defense.

3) It was nice to toss out prominent names for defensive coordinator but seriously, the scheme was not going to change and it shouldn't. Aside from the past two years, our defense hasn't been a problem exactly. We look bad because of the talent and leadership we lost and how fast we lost it. We've been re-tooling and takes time. When you combine our rebuilding and the fact that the Patriots are never going to go out and go Redskins on us and sign mega deals with free agent superstars, we get frustrated as fans. The approach has worked for a decade so let's not change the approach. You also can't put Brady through a whole new approach as his window is also closing in my opinion.

4) I think Belichick will not name an official defensive coordinator in hopes of keeping outsiders from plucking his coaching tree next year. Teams aren't going to get Belichick so they want the next best thing: people that work under him and learn his methodology. He's clearly revered and if you don't think so, look at all the teams that have taken a member of our coaching/management staff. They recognize greatness and want a glimmer of it for their own team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: Thoughts on the Belichick Move?

Frustrating!

NE struggled last year due to BB playing a role in everything they did and now he is really doing it all by himself.

Im so excited for next season!  (very sarcastic)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

Patriot Nation, I don't know about this one.  Why????????????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from alcondragon. Show alcondragon's posts

First of all just because you didnt name a defensive co. doesnt mean that other teams still wont talk to your coaches to hire them. Then the Patriots say now they dont have to pay anyone for the title name? If this doesnt prove that Kraft has become one of the Cheapest Son of a B's then I dont know what will.
    Second BB has too much on his table and once again this will be another year of a lack luster offense and no good play calling.
    Stupid moves all around

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maineeac. Show Maineeac's posts

I think this decision has trouble written all over it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

If BB doesn't name a DC it means that any NFL team can come in hire away pepper or patricia or whoever the "acting" DC is going to be, to make him a real DC for their team.

I don't know the exact details of how this works like whether the pats get first refusal or counteroffer or whatever but I do know that a team can hire away any coach from any other NFL team if the new position is a promotion from what their current position is. Whatever pepper's or patricia's titles are now, DC would certainly be a promotion. 

I hope BB is not going to get too cute with this and end up losing the guy he really wants. IMO, much better to just name the DC now, so another team can't steal him away. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With BB you never know what is really going on,for all we know he did appoint someone as the DC  and is just telling the press that he is going to make all the decisions. This way guys like Borges has only one person to grill each week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

this decision is great, 
    this means there will be no excuses next year
    its win time

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Bad idea......with confusion stamp on it............the defense will do what Brady did half the time.......look to the sideline for a play and call timeouts till we have none left........bad idea with bad results to follow...........not a fan of this at all.....delegate authority you can't run the hole show ...........IT WILL NOT WORK.......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevinjake1966. Show kevinjake1966's posts

Can someone please tell me why this is a good move?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

It does beg the question .... Is he morphing back into what he was when he first became a head coach in Cleveland.  He had ok results but was it was a tumultuous ride if I recall. 

Ultimately his best results were with a full complimnet of proven coaches (i.e.  Weis, Crennel, et al).  

My point is he tried to do too much while at Cleveland....I hope he isn't going back to that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What I can think is that BB is going back to the laboratory, he will comeup with some off the wall new defenses sets that we have not seen before or something you've see before with a new twist.

I will wait and see how it turns out, I think Corwin Brown was a good addition and it means he can give up any involvement with DBs.  Brown will make them tougher and better players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

What are we? The Knicks of the NFL? This is becoming sideshow like.You know who Belichick is starting to remind me of? Mike Martz. Stubborn and arrogant.

I hate to say this, but maybe it's time for Bill to go. Belichick is almost 60. Everybody loses "it" at some point. How many 65 year old surgeons do you see? All professionals start to slip at some point. Some sooner than others. This is pure insanity. His ego has gone completely out of control and is starting to ruin this team. You know how people used to mention that Parcells had never won anything without Belichick? Well Belichick has never won without Crennel either. Maybe it's time for Bill to put the best interests of the team ahead of his own ego.

The coordinator positions were a HUGE problem last year. And instead of doing everything in his power to fix them, he has actually managed to make the situation potentially worse. Kind of like costing us a Superbowl by going into the season with Reche Caldwell as the number one reciever. Pure, blind arrogance. And the problem is there is nobody to keep him in check. There is nobody to say "Whoa Bill. That's crazy. Maybe you should rethink this." He had Crennell and Weis served up to him on a silver platter and did nothing with the opportunity.

Bill Cowher is available. You can say what you want about him. But to get 11-12 wins out some of those Steelers teams he coached in the mid 90s was nothing short of a miracle. He can coach. And as far as I can tell, he's not insane. 

Something needs to be done. They are letting a senile egomaniac drive this team into the ground and nobody seems concerned. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

something does need to be done dafoe, send you to be a Jets fan.

Ridiculous.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Senile and insane are kinda strong words. However, it appears he may have become intractable. He's been constantly lecturing the defense on the sidelines during games. Obviously, he was a successful defensive coordinator but I think he may have forgotten what is required of the head coach ( strong words from a dumb fan ). It's assumed that the head coach knows something about football. He should also know how to delegate authority. It appears that since he knows all there is to know about football strategy, he thinks he can also run everything single-handedly. All teams need good assistant coaches. I think Bill has made a mistake. Both the head coach and defensive coordinator will realize that when it's too late. Another season down the drain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Maybe some of the rhetoric was a bit much But Belichick is clearly out of control. The problem is, and I expected this, are people like pats 7393. God forbid anybody question any of the Pats players or coaches. If you do, then you are not a "real" Pats fan. It's like some sort of cult. Like the Varitek cult that used to bash anyone that had the nerve to point out Varitek wasn't that good anymore and not worth 10 million If people want to bury their head in the sand, that's fine. But some of us are concerned about the direction this orginization is taking. If you want to be like one of Jacob's sheep that your business. But that deosn't make me any less of a Pats fan    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepats51. Show nepats51's posts

Hes the best baby!!!!!!! before ya know it, he will be taking over bradys job!!throw it deep to himself!! lol gooooooo billy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

dafoe to call for a change at head coach not taking into consideration what the team has gone through over the last two seasons comes across as not having a clue to what he has meant for the team.

Has he done everything right no, he is human and has made some mistakes.  Look around the league and see where other teams end up when their starting QB goes down for the season after less than a quarter of play. 
    When you have all your super stars and leaders move out, and yes some of those were by BB's decisions but the benefit of his decision cannot be judged yet.

This was a season of ups and downs, has he taken on too much? maybe, time will tell to call for him to be replaced don't think so.

What's wrong, is fans like yourself who come here with their uneducated opinions and you are entitled to it but don't take it personal when I and others comment on that opinion.  If you don't want that to happen don't post.

You say the direction the organization is going, well which direction is that?  The one fault I have for BB was maybe not retaining one vocal leader but maybe he thought he had one in Mayo and some of the other veterans who did not step up.

in regards to Bill Cowher your proposed successor, coached the Steelers 15 years they made the playoffs 10 out of those 10 years but only won 1 SB, 12 and 9 in postseason BB 10 years 3 SB wins made the playoffs 7 out of 10 years and in 2008 missed the playoffs with a record of 11-5 he has a  14 and 4 in post season.  yeap great trade off.

We called him Genius when winning now arrogant, when and only a matter of time (next year) we are back among the elite because if you actually break the roster down and look at the 2009 that were not as horrible as everyone make them out to be he will once again be called a genius and people like you will be back on the BB train.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Younger players need all the coaching they can get.  To actually eliminate coaching positions at this point (the defense getting younger) is boarder line incompetent.  Bob Kraft should be very concerned, I am.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1r3d12. Show m1r3d12's posts

In Bill I trust

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

See, I'm torn between Yapple's excellent premise:

"Obviously, he was a successful defensive coordinator but I think he may have forgotten what is required of the head coach. It's assumed that the head coach knows something about football. He should also know how to delegate authority. It appears that since he knows all there is to know about football strategy, he thinks he can also run everything single-handedly. All teams need good assistant coaches."

As, I'm conflicted with apdynasty's countering notion:

"I think Belichick will not name an official defensive coordinator in hopes of keeping outsiders from plucking his coaching tree next year. Teams aren't going to get Belichick so they want the next best thing: people that work under him and learn his methodology."

And all the while, I'm concerned with unclealfie's fact:

"I don't know the exact details of how this works like whether the pats get first refusal or counteroffer or whatever but I do know that a team can hire away any coach from any other NFL team if the new position is a promotion from what their current position is. Whatever pepper's or patricia's titles are now, DC would certainly be a promotion."

~
    Ya know ALL, The History of U.S. Presidents was on the History Channel, yet again (bare with me people).  They had 2 interesting quotes, 1 from Ronald Reagan, and the 1 other was from John Fitzgerald Kennedy...

Reagan's was this:
    Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don’t interfere as long as the policy you’ve decided upon is being carried out.”

Kennedy's was this:
    "Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly."

~AND indeed, ALL the best Presidents...even ALL the best Heads of ANYthing, are only as good as those under them and those surrounding them, their "cabinets", their assistants...  One cannot be afraid of losing trusted members with trusted ideas to foes and rivals.  Working your policies off of, What You COULD lose, Is a policy of fear...and harbinges and tows, Losing Itself.  Ya can't work or run ANYthing that way...  One HAS to trust that One's policies, designs, schematics, product, or whatever, IS good enough to possibly overcome the loss of a part, parcel, player, or here: personell.  In ALL, IF this doesn't wreak of Worry and Failure and Secrecy trumping Better Management Practices (and all which that entails, like-chance of a better product, more thorough ideas, more help to focus on more of the specifics etc., etc.)-THAN at the very least, Bill Belichick's move wreaks of hubris and ego...  ~Just my take on it.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Pats have had 9 seasons in a row of 10-6 or better, often considerably better. Furthermore, the New Orleans Saints are trumpeting around the league that the way to win is first, to be as exactly like the New England Patriots as possible, accept no substitutes, and second, to hire away as many New England Patriots as humanly possible.

By naming someone "defensive coordinator", BB would be putting a target on that guy's chest for 31 headhunters.  Better to not call them offensive or defensive coordinators and just let the headhunters guess who has what jobs on the team.

Oh, and if you're from another team, I have hoodies for sale, get em while they're hot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Time will tell.
    Remember, Bill got his pub while being a great defensive coordinator. The Giants' super bowl victories were a result of great defenses. Defense is his expertise.

He's not going to bring in an outsider with new ideas. He has coaches right now who know his system and philosophy. When they are ready he will promote one of them.

Of course Bill has an ego, that's what makes him great. I don't believe he has lost it at all. Is Rod Rust still available?
    Time will tell.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This potentially troublesome because Belichick still does not have the right players to execute the type of defense he wants to see his team play. If Pepper or Patricia is named DC, eventually, then maybe I'll change my mind. Right now Belichick still has alot of food on his plate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

too much control, what if they have another 10-6 season and this time miss the playoffs, will Kraft have the balls to tell him he needs to restructure the coaching staff. BB actually sucked as a HC in 2009, and was outcoached alot of games.

Sections
Shortcuts