Thoughts on the play that broke Gronk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eghirarduzzi. Show eghirarduzzi's posts

Thoughts on the play that broke Gronk

Thoughts on Gronk even being put in the position to be injured on such a meaningless play ?  We are blowing their doors off, to the point even our D wont give up that many points, and Gronk is in blocking on the last extra point attempt when he hadnt even been in for the whole drive ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Re: Thoughts on the play that broke Gronk

SH-- happens. 999,999 out of 1,000,000, nothing happens.

Can't second guess the decision. Next man up! Fortunately we have plenty of TE depth and given how weak the division is, the Pats have essentially locked up the divison and a playoff birth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Yeah, my initial reaction was the same. I mean, a broken forearm from a meaningless extra point? That's just so unnecessary.

But Gronk could have gotten injured on the first play of the game or on the biggest play of the game, the end result would be the same. Injuries happen. It's easy to criticize Bill in hindsight, but who would've thought an injury like that could occur on an extra point?

We'll just have to adjust and hope he returns in time to help us win the Super Bowl!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to eghirarduzzi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thoughts on Gronk even being put in the position to be injured on such a meaningless play ?  We are blowing their doors off, to the point even our D wont give up that many points, and Gronk is in blocking on the last extra point attempt when he hadnt even been in for the whole drive ?

[/QUOTE]

well when u run up the score...

did they take brady out? if not they should have... i mean why risk injuries with huge leads?

[/QUOTE]

Get lost, you didn't even watch the game obviously.  Two TD's were by the defense and one special teams.  Should the DB's throw the football back when Luck throws it to them? 

Go to a NY board with your hippie attitude of spreading the wins out evenly so nobody has "Bad feelings." 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm not a fan of Monday morning Quarterbacking.  There are not enough players on a roster to bring in a new team of players in blowouts.  Gronk was there because he was the best at that position.  The Patriots don't have a "We don't want to try that hard team" sitting on the sidelines ready to replace players.

I always think of the 2001 Steelers when people want all the Jags to play special teams.  Pittsburgh was the top seed in 2001, but Cowher refused to play starters on special teams as a result their special teams stunk. 

During the first game of the playoffs against the Patriots the Pats only scored one offensive TD.  They scored 17 points on special teams (Blocked field goal return for TD, Punt Return TD, and Field goal) to win 24-17.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to eghirarduzzi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well when u run up the score...

did they take brady out? if not they should have... i mean why risk injuries with huge leads?

[/QUOTE]

they didn't run up the score. you cant ask guys to take a knee with 5 minutes left in the game it insults the opponent and disgraces the game. Back ups were in, as was Mallett.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

as BB says " Football players play football"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Gronk was in because he blocks on extra points.  I have zero problem with him being in there.  Don't like that he got hurt but injuries happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Dumb. The more plays you are on the field, the greater the chance of an injury.

You don't use your 2nd most valuable asset probably at all on special teams, much less late in a blowout.

Same goes for using their 3rd most valuable asset for returning kickoffs. Same goes for keeping Brady in late in a blowout.

The whole world knows this is dumb and has said so for years and years. So now the misbegotten practice has bit us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to provpats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And your best players get hurt the more you expose them to the possibility.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree...blocking for an extra point ain't exactly like catching the ball over the middle with a safety getting a 5 yard run at you where the QB hangs the ball in the air long enough to expose you to a big hit...In hindsight, given the result, it's easy to jump on the "why was he even on the field" second guessers bandwagon...However it's his job and how many extra points has he been on the field for in the last three years and gotton injured as a result of being on the blocking team?

That said, with 53 man rosters, two of them kickers and two back-up QB's. There's only so many subs for each package. It's not like you can take all 22 starters out of the game when you're up by a comfortable margin. Then it comes down too "who's more valuable". In my mind the only guys that should come off the field. When we have an insurmountable lead. Are those where the back up is given valueable playing time in the interest of his development. As long as Brady is behind the center, I want the starting 5 in front of him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]

You don't use your 2nd most valuable asset probably at all on special teams, much less late in a blowout.

Same goes for using their 3rd most valuable asset for returning kickoffs. Same goes for keeping Brady in late in a blowout.

The whole world knows this is dumb and has said so for years and years. So now the misbegotten practice has bit us.

[/QUOTE]

Dumb?  Get real.  It was on a freaking extra point.  When in the world have you ever heard of a guy getting hurt on a freaking extra point.  Way to take Monday Morning QBing to a new level.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They probably play him on the extra point team in case something goes wrong with the snap and they end up having to throw the ball into the endzone.  BB prepares for everything.  Having a big TE on the field who's a good blocker with quick feet and also a good receiver is a big asset.  He's on that play all the time.  Sure, it wasn't crucial yesterday, but in a close game a messed up PAT could cost the win - - and so you create a PAT team that's the best one for all situations and you try to keep it as stable as possible, since changing players increases the chance something will be screwed up.  

The chance of injury on an extra point kick is tiny.  It was a freaky play.  I have no problem with Gronk being there at all. Just hope he heals fast and is ready for end of season and playoffs.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Though in a blow out I do think you should limit the amount of starters you have in the game at any given point he was in there to block for an extra point. I mean talk about freak accident. I'd feel differently and be screaming if it happens running across the middle dbl covered and he got nailed late in the game, but an extra point? There just isn't anything you can do about that, just a freak play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree...blocking for an extra point ain't exactly like catching the ball over the middle with a safety getting a 5 yard run at you where the QB hangs the ball in the air long enough to expose you to a big hit...In hindsight, given the result, it's easy to jump on the "why was he even on the field" second guessers bandwagon...However it's his job and how many extra points has he been on the field for in the last three years and gotton injured as a result of being on the blocking team?

That said, with 53 man rosters, two of them kickers and two back-up QB's. There's only so many subs for each package. It's not like you can take all 22 starters out of the game when you're up by a comfortable margin. Then it comes down too "who's more valuable". In my mind the only guys that should come off the field. When we have an insurmountable lead. Are those where the back up is given valueable playing time in the interest of his development. As long as Brady is behind the center, I want the starting 5 in front of him.

[/QUOTE]

He is the second most important guy on the team. If you can't find somebody to keep him off the field on special teams, you need to reassess what you're doing.

I'll stand by the statement, the more you're on the field the greater the chances of getting hurt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Funny thing is that maybe just maybe it was actually hurt on a previous play and the EP play was just enough to finish it off. Sorry I can not see how just blocking can break a forearm IMHO there was some previous injury that was just a precursor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dumb?  Get real.  It was on a freaking extra point.  When in the world have you ever heard of a guy getting hurt on a freaking extra point.  Way to take Monday Morning QBing to a new level.

[/QUOTE]

I am of the school of thought that you generally don't play your star players on special teams. Certainly not as a mere "blocker". I think I have a LOT of company in this throughout the football world. It is DUMB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

It is what it is! He's a member of that special team so it was his job to be out there for that extra point. Anyone that thinks he shouldn't have been out there for a "silly extra point" is being unrealistic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They probably play him on the extra point team in case something goes wrong with the snap and they end up having to throw the ball into the endzone.  BB prepares for everything.  Having a big TE on the field who's a good blocker with quick feet and also a good receiver is a big asset.  He's on that play all the time.  Sure, it wasn't crucial yesterday, but in a close game a messed up PAT could cost the win - - and so you create a PAT team that's the best one for all situations and you try to keep it as stable as possible, since changing players increases the chance something will be screwed up.  

The chance of injury on an extra point kick is tiny.  It was a freaky play.  I have no problem with Gronk being there at all. Just hope he heals fast and is ready for end of season and playoffs.  

[/QUOTE]

Well, I hope BB has prepared for getting his star TE a broken arm because he needed to have him in there just in case the one in a million bad snap that could possibly need Gronk in the endzone came up - in a blowout.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is what it is! He's a member of that special team so it was his job to be out there for that extra point. Anyone that thinks he shouldn't have been out there for a "silly extra point" is being unrealistic.

[/QUOTE]

Elaborate. How is it unrealistic saying that you should take out your star TE for extra points when you are blowing out the other team?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Elaborate. How is it unrealistic saying that you should take out your star TE for extra points when you are blowing out the other team?

[/QUOTE]

Get real.  Its a 53 man game day roster.  They already do have some guys that just play special teams, its impossible to have no starters play on special teams. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Why should they replace him.

If it were a punt would they replace the regular punt returner? NO

If it were a kick off would they replace the regular kick off returner? NO

Do you replace the holder on a PAT just because it is a blow out? NO

Do you replace the kicker just because it is a blowout? NO

The argument would be about why did they take out the starter.

The argument is a 20/20 hindsight argument and is not reasonable. The discussion should be about how do they move forward. Which is on another thread.

BTW didn't Brady play the WHOLE game as usual????

Up by 31 and they still played all the regulars on the last drive.

There is a bigger chance that something could go wrong with the wrong guy in the place of the regular. Just suppose if they replaced Gronk and the guy missed the assignment and Mesko or Gostkowski got hurt.

The argument would be about why did they take out the starter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of Monday morning Quarterbacking.  There are not enough players on a roster to bring in a new team of players in blowouts.  Gronk was there because he was the best at that position.  The Patriots don't have a "We don't want to try that hard team" sitting on the sidelines ready to replace players.

I always think of the 2001 Steelers when people want all the Jags to play special teams.  Pittsburgh was the top seed in 2001, but Cowher refused to play starters on special teams as a result their special teams stunk. 

During the first game of the playoffs against the Patriots the Pats only scored one offensive TD.  They scored 17 points on special teams (Blocked field goal return for TD, Punt Return TD, and Field goal) to win 24-17.

[/QUOTE]

You are far too intelligent for this board

Sections
Shortcuts