Thoughts on the possiblity of another brilliant BB strategic move

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Thoughts on the possiblity of another brilliant BB strategic move

I don't think that factored into bringing Branch back. I think he brought Branch because he needed someone to come in with a decent knowledge of his offense, learn the rest on the fly, and maintain a sense of professionalism throughout the process. He wanted to show the other receivers how true Patriots receivers should play: catch the ball, run with it, protect the ball, block for the backs on every running play, and push each other. It was also a move to partly appease Brady. I can tell Brady was getting frustrated with having to please Moss by throwing in his direction but this was a case of a parent taking away the big bowl of ice cream before dinner and just giving their kid a cookie instead.

I do think Branch will have some, if very little, influence on what a player takes by going to another team. Think about it. If a player's entire family and social circle, along with his agent (like with Mankins) are pushing for a holdout and more money, I hardly doubt Branch is going to be the deciding factor.

I think the Patriot Way is cut and dry. There's no selling it, pitching it, or explaining it. If you value winning, you stay, be part of a true team, and as a result, take a smaller piece of the pie. If you want to break the bank, go elsewhere and you'll see just how much the Patriot System made you the player you are/were with New England

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's a sound theory, and I think the object lesson of a guy like Branch -- but even moreso the strange odyssey of Randy Moss -- might make some of these young guys rethink themselves. But realistically, once these guys get some hardware -- and I have every reason to believe they'll be getting some very soon -- the next way they measure themselves against each other tends to be dollar signs. No one has ever waved mulit-millions of dollars in front of me, so I don't really know for a fact, but I've got to believe that the idea of a "legacy" doesn't really enter into the thinking of most of these guys until long after the money is made.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksilvia723. Show ksilvia723's posts

That's an interesting theory but I think if it does happen that Branch influences any free agents, it will just be a bonus, not part of the plan. But then again......who am I.......BB is a freakin genius!!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I don't think that it was a large factor in bringing Branch back in, for the reasons dynasty alluded to.  However, I will say that I believe Branch's sudden productivity upon his return may influence the young guys by showing them the benefits of staying in a system that works for them.  That's not to say that they will all stay forever because of this trade, that would be crazy, but it gives the players a way to rationalize taking a little less money on this contract, in order to make more over the course of their career.

I'd have to look it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Branch actually lost money by going to Seattle on his current contract with the renegotiated salary for next season.  Of course then there's the whole debate about guaranteed money that he got from Seattle, not to mention time-value of money, but it still wouldn't surprise me and could be a nice example for the young guys.  Meanwhile Moss is sent away because he wants a new big deal and has next to no success once he leaves NE and is looking at a much smaller deal than he would have received if he had stayed in the system for the last year of his deal.

Again, I don't believe this was the reason for the trade at all, but it may be a by-product of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think there's a misconception among fans that to stay with the Pats, players have to take a pay cut.  That's not true--the Pats pay very well when they want to. Seymour, Wilfork, Brady--all got big contracts.  The Pats, though, make good decisions and only pay top dollar when it makes sense for the team to do so.  The problems arise when the market for a player is maybe higher than the Patriots think he's worth.  This is what happened with Branch, Samuel, and possibly Mankins. 

From a player's perspective, I think most will take small discounts (maybe 5% or 10%) to stay with a winning team like the Pats, but when the difference is multiple millions, I don't think you can blame a player (with a very short career) for going for the dollars, especially in a league where contracts aren't guaranteed and therefore there's no certainty that the team you sign with will keep you through your contract.  That's why the big signing bonuses are so important to players--that's pretty much all that's guaranteed in the NFL, so big differences in those bonuses just can't be ignored by players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Wait till this rookie wage scale gets put in place. They will play at low dollars for probably 3 years. then the holdouts and BS will start. Teams will have to hire a full time negotiator just to handle everyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

There are only so many guys who the Pats can pay.  If you're a core guy (Wilfork, Brady) then you'll get yours, but even then it will take some hard negotiation.  Then there are tier 1-B guys like Light, Koppen, Ty Warren, others who got fair but not market shattering deals to stay here.  There will be guys like Branch and Givens (Mankins?) who will want more than the Pats think they're worth, even by greater than 5 or 10%, so they'll move on without really having a choice. 

Who can begrudge a player the opportunity to sign the contract of a lifetime?  Maybe the Branch situation will give others pause, but other guys will leave over money, guaranteed.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think we saw Patten signed in the offseason for a reason, just as we saw Holt signed, and Crumpler.

Both Patten and Branch obviously have the system knowledge.

Branch is just the ideal player to help tutor since he and Brady have that special relationship, etc. So, yes, I think the role model concept is clearly there, but I am not toally sure it ties into contract situations.

It's just a case where it worked out and there may be someting to the "handing off of the reins" type of logic, similar to what Bruschi and Harrison did with Mayo and Merriweather.

Now, we see it with Crumpler in some way, too, even though he is new himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

One thing BB has done is make the Pats a very attractive team for high-quality guys late in their careers who have already made the money and just want a chance to win before they retire.  Guys who fall in that category include Seau, Branch, Crumpler, Taylor, and so on . . . 

These guys help the young guys while also making contributions on the field.  I think BB enjoys having a few around and they also enjoy being here.  This is a big positive for the organization, I think.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

There is no doubt about that. I think after Spygate and the SB 42 loss, MANY haters and trolls wanted to believe that idea was dwindling if not gone forever.

Well, they are clearly wrong. As usual.

NE will also have their finances in order so when this new rookie cap hits, they'll have funds allocated well, allowing them to strategically strike the FA market, vs wasting funding like the Raiders, Skins, Jets, etc do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I do not think that was the intended result of bringing Branch back but icing on the cake if some of what you say comes to be!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on the possiblity of another brilliant BB strategic move:
    [QUOTE]I don't think that it was a large factor in bringing Branch back in, for the reasons dynasty alluded to.  However, I will say that I believe Branch's sudden productivity upon his return may influence the young guys by showing them the benefits of staying in a system that works for them.  That's not to say that they will all stay forever because of this trade, that would be crazy, but it gives the players a way to rationalize taking a little less money on this contract, in order to make more over the course of their career. I'd have to look it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Branch actually lost money by going to Seattle on his current contract with the renegotiated salary for next season.  Of course then there's the whole debate about guaranteed money that he got from Seattle, not to mention time-value of money, but it still wouldn't surprise me and could be a nice example for the young guys.  Meanwhile Moss is sent away because he wants a new big deal and has next to no success once he leaves NE and is looking at a much smaller deal than he would have received if he had stayed in the system for the last year of his deal. Again, I don't believe this was the reason for the trade at all, but it may be a by-product of it.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I recall reading a piece about Branch's Seattle deal vs. that prospective Pats offer, then his re-negotiated contract with the Pats deal, and if I am not mistaken, Branch ended up making less with his F/A deal, all things considered.  That analysis didn't include the bonus money Branch would have made for post-season play earned with the Pats, plus the likely endorsement deals he would have garnered if he remained in NE and they won a few more Lombardi trophies. 

When you look at it all, Branch lost money, prestige and the chance to at least be in the Pats' hall, if not the HOF.