Thoughts on Welker...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Thoughts on Welker...

Sitting here thinking about Welker and the situation and I am torn in how I would approach it. So here is a question to see how everyone would handle it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Thoughts on Welker...

Sign 'em!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

if the cost is going to be about the same, sign Colvin or Jackson instead.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

3 at a higher salary is safer in my book, that 4th year at the punishment he takes might be a horrible deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It all depends on how the deal is structured . . . . what will be most important is the amount that's guaranteed.  

I have a sneaking suspicion they aren't going to offer Welker a huge deal, though. He's getting old, so a big signing bonus balanced by lots of years doesn't make sense.  My guess is they'll only want to guarantee two years of pay . . . which means a signing bonus (guaranteed) and first two year's of pay (unguaranteed, but likely to be earned) adding up to somewhere between maybe 12 and maybe 18 million if I understand the market correctly (I'm not sure I do, the information is sketchy).  The number of years, the amount per year after the first two years, and the total potential amount of the deal will be less important--those figures are more about getting the risk/reward balance correct for both parties in years three and beyond.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think option (A) "Franchise him (9.5 Million) and try to work out a deal before the season.", is the most likely start.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Welker...:
    [QUOTE]if the cost is going to be about the same, sign Colvin or Jackson instead.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

haha colvin? i think you mean colston.....but i disagree, wes is invaluable to this team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Franchise him and go after mike Wallace.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Sign him- 3 year deal would be a good move for Wes and the Pats. Though, I think they will tag him for next year.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The dude choked at the biggest moment on the biggest stage in front of the biggest audience.  I wouldn't pay him.  He's a byproduct of Brady's greatness.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I say franchise him and hope he can help us win for 1 year.

WW does not have the body(although he is 1 tough sob) to be giving lots of guaranteed money.

Although I hate it when people try and whittle him down to just a slot receiver. As with Hernandez and even Gronk they all play all positions on the field.

Still if it comes down to signing WW or getting a RB that can help take the load off of an aging Tom Brady, I say get the RB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Welker... : haha colvin? i think you mean colston.....but i disagree, wes is invaluable to this team. 
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]
    yeah, I meant Colston...thanks.

I agree Welker is important. Does he stretch the field for the pats?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

He's worth 9 million right now, but will he have the same output in 2-3 years? How much more of a beating can he take in the slot?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Welkers value outside of Boston may not be that great.  I agree though that anything more than 2 maybe 3 is not going to happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Leaving all emotion aside, it is worth debate exactly how much welker is really worth.  I would certainly want Welker back, but I don't think he should be paid the same as a Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson.  Welker is a great Patriots and a very hard worker, but he's not on the same talent level as the rest of the top ten WR's.   I doubt any other team would pay outrageous money, so I think the Pats can make the right deal for both parties.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Welker... : haha colvin? i think you mean colston.....but i disagree, wes is invaluable to this team. 
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

always been confused by the word "invaluable ".

I think i agree and say sign him he is a main cog for this offense.