Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending.

I know this is not a Pats topic but I was just curious what other people thought about the call at the end.

I watched it live and I was shocked they overturned it and gave MSU the winning TD.  It seemed like a classic case of "ruling on the field stands because there was not indisputable evidence to overturn it."  Also, it was a classic case of the refs having an opportunity to let the players decide it but instead the officials decided the outcome of the game on what can only be described as a judgement call.

I don't watch a ton of College football but that was an amazing game and I thought it was a shame it ended on a call. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending.

In Response to Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending.:
    [QUOTE]I know this is not a Pats topic but I was just curious what other people thought about the call at the end. I watched it live and I was shocked they overturned it and gave MSU the winning TD.  It seemed like a classic case of "ruling on the field stands because there was not indisputable evidence to overturn it."  Also, it was a classic case of the refs having an opportunity to let the players decide it but instead the officials decided the outcome of the game on what can only be described as a judgement call. I don't watch a ton of College football but that was an amazing game and I thought it was a shame it ended on a call. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty obvious he got in to be honest.  Wisconsin didn't deserve to win that game because no one from their team got their hands on the ball on a hail mary.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I still am not convinced he got in the endzone. The top of his helmet broke the plane, but not the ball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : I thought it was pretty obvious he got in to be honest.  Wisconsin didn't deserve to win that game because no one from their team got their hands on the ball on a hail mary.
    Posted by 423206852231dc13f5b2e36577a3bcfa[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard people say that but during the broadcast Herbstreet and Musburger both were saying, "too close to call" before they overturned it.

Because of the BCS that call effectively ends Wisconsin's shot at a national title, I think that just doesn't sit well with me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]I still am not convinced he got in the endzone. The top of his helmet broke the plane, but not the ball.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly my problem.  If they had called it a TD on the field than fine, but to overturn it... I don't know.

Some BCS official probably got on the phone and told them to give MSU the TD.  The BCS needed to start picking off some of these undeafeted teams, too many undefeateds and the BCS looks as stupid as it actually is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : Yeah, I've heard people say that but during the broadcast Herbstreet and Musburger both were saying, "too close to call" before they overturned it. Because of the BCS that call effectively ends Wisconsin's shot at a national title, I think that just doesn't sit well with me.

I think everyone has a problem with the way the NCAA runs their championship process. I'm not a fan of either Wisconsin or MSU but I did Have Wisconsin in my pool this weekend and I still think the refs made the right call there. Wisconsin deserves to lose just for letting MSU complete a hail mary pass. That's as inexcusable as allowing an onside kick if not more. You have to admit that was a great game though. One of the reasons I like college ball better than the NFL is that anything can happen and the game is never over. A team can be down 21 points with 8 minutes left in the game and still have a shot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : Yeah, I've heard people say that but during the broadcast Herbstreet and Musburger both were saying, "too close to call" before they overturned it. Because of the BCS that call effectively ends Wisconsin's shot at a national title, I think that just doesn't sit well with me.

When he gets twisted around as they are trying to push him back I think it's pretty obvious the ball breaks the plane.  Frankly it sounds like your issue is more with the BCS than the actual call.  I have some friends at UW so it's not like I'm looking for a reason to give State the game, but I guess we can just agree to disagree.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

Zoom in on the photo.  I think that's enough evidence.  http://s4.guyism.com/up/2011/10/touchdown-third-angle.png

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

#1 vs #2 coming up in a couple of weeks...gotta pull for zbellino's boys

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]This is why I don;t like NCAAF. One sketchy call can ruin a chance for a team like Wisconsin to play for the title because there is no playoff. Event the SEC matchups this year have been disappointments. I don't know. I put little stock in college football until they get a playoff format in place.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I remember my old man screaming for a playoff system in college football 40 years ago. It's incredible that they can't figure out a way to play off the top 8 teams using the current bowls and make even more money than they do already. Imagine if the Championship game was the week before the superbowl on Sunday at 6:30 just like the Superbowl..The NCAA has very little vision and the good ole boy system seems likely to be around forever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

[QUOTE] Even the SEC matchups this year have been disappointments.

Agreed.  The entire east is crap and outside of LSU and Alabama the west is nothing to write home about (I think Arkansas is incredibly overrated).  They have a decent shot of continuing their run of national titles, but the rest of the league has not lived up to expectations.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. Imagine if the top 10-12 teams all were in a round robin? It would be must see tv every week for a month.

We also wouldn't have to hear about the media babble on about the "rookie wall" with regards to players from those teams.  That would be nice.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

[QUOTE]You play a meaningless corporate bowl game and then maybe you win and you go home with the NCAA and your university laughing all the way to the bank. 

Actually what's more amazing is that the NCAA and the university really don't laugh to the bank.  The bowl game itself actually makes most of the money.  Hell Uconn lost money going to the Fiesta bowl last year.  Frankly they should just take the top 16 ranked teams and do a seeded playoff.  Sure whoever is at 17 is going to be bitter, but frankly it's way better than the BCS and with limited spots people are always going to complain and if you win your conference and it doesn't suck you should be in the top 16 anyways.  Hell they can even keep some of the minor bowl games for the teams that don't make the playoffs if they really want. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, but wouldn't bowl games set up under a sponsored playoff format guarantee they would not lose money? The demand for viewing those games would go up, not down, so advertising bids would be far higher, in my opinion. UConn lost money, I am assuming, because they aren't a big football program?

No I agree that the playoff format if structured properly would make money for the schools.  What I am saying is that the schools have no financial incentive to keep the bowl games as they are currently because the bowls make all of the money.  That's why it is so strange to me that there is still so much support for them.  Uconn lost money because they had to eat a bunch of tickets they didn't sell and transportation costs were high.  That being said even the big time programs do not make as much money as they should from bowl games because most of the advertising revenue goes to the bowl itself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Looking at the replays, if there was a camera looking right down the goal line, the player definitely leaned over into the end zone.  Feet may have been on the "field" side, but the ball definitely broke the plane, the definition of a TD.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Zoom in on the photo.  I think that's enough evidence.   http://s4.guyism.com/up/2011/10/touchdown-third-angle.png

I just don't see that photo as "indisputable evidence".  It is hard to even see the ball. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : Agreed.  The entire east is crap and outside of LSU and Alabama the west is nothing to write home about (I think Arkansas is incredibly overrated).  They have a decent shot of continuing their run of national titles, but the rest of the league has not lived up to expectations.

The SEC has been about .500 in bowl games the past couple years, at the top it is the best conference but the depth is not what the SEC people would have you believe. 

If you look at games SEC teams have played against quality out of conference teams this year they are around .500.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : I just don't see that photo as "indisputable evidence".  It is hard to even see the ball. 

I think if you zoom in you can see the ball, but either way his entire upper body and arms are across the line.  Unless the ball is on his legs which it is clearly not I think it's pretty clear he got in.  Or we can just agree to disagree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I thought it was a good call myself. The ball went over the line. The problem with iffy calls is that the "ruling on the field" is often snap. I think he actually was going to be overruled by the other Ref, and then it went to replay. 

The other problem is that they are rarely indisputable one way or the other. 

Either way ... things are murky in the Big-10. Wierd in the Big-12. Overrated in the Pac-10 (as usual). 

But things are sunny in Baton Rouge.

Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : I think if you zoom in you can see the ball, but either way his entire upper body and arms are across the line.  Unless the ball is on his legs which it is clearly not I think it's pretty clear he got in.  Or we can just agree to disagree.

That is essentially my take as well. You need to exrapolate the ball's position. The fact that it is slightly obscured doesn't mean there cannot be indisputable proof.

Disputing that you can't see the ball doesn't work, because in this image, you can clearly see where the ball is, even though the ball is obscured by the arm covering it, and the defender's hand trying to tear it away. If we use the Wisconsin player's front foot as the guideline for where the touchdown plane is, then it's clear (indisputably in my opinion) that it must have cleared the line. 

His arms cleared by the length of a football, his arms had the football, thus it was a TD.