Throwback thread 2001

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Throwback thread 2001

Mo Lewis just destroyed this franchise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Who's this kicker we got named Adam Vinitieri? Can he kick in the clutch? I guess he can because he did it in the snow against the Oakland Raiders and their head coach that looks like Chuckie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Mo Lewis just destroyed this franchise.

That reserve QB named Tom Brady just beat Gomer for his first NFL start, beginners luck I guess.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Tom Brady?  Are you serious? 199?  Could have used the pick to trade up at least.  This kid will never be remembered unless he marries a supermodel!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's his scouting report:

He was drafted #199 in the 6th round because he “lacked great physical stature and strength”, “lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush”, ” does not throw a really tight spiral”, and “a system type play that could get exposed if forced to ad-lib”

We're doomed!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

....and 12 years later...   need sun glasses to keep the glare of his "bright star qualities" from blinding us!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Can't possibly win with David Patten and Troy Brown as your wideouts.

Exactly...

And the nerve of BB putting their only playmaker - Terry Glenn - in the doghouse!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

Otis F'n Smith is our starting corner?

Sheesh...if things go bad enough, hopefully we can draft Travis Fisher next year.

And what the heck is a Tebucky?

I've looked into the crystal ball and I saw this Brady kid and a Lombardi trophy....hmmm?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

UD:  your opinion is lucid, well-though out, and spot on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I see Peyton Manning winning 3 of the next 4 Super Bowls, if not more.. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Indianapolis Colts (2-0) 
    Again the no-huddle, with Peyton Manning calling the game at the line, ran up a big tally. This reminds me of the genesis of the Buffalo hurry-up in the early '90s. It's effective when we use it so why not use it all the time? The only problem is the frenetic pace that it puts on my charting mechanism.

I think these guys are even better than than the Broncos.  manning is the real deal.  how many super bowl rings will this guy have before we even make the playoffs? maybe we should all become colts fans and root for a winner.  mel kiper was right, we will lose every game this year, that guy should play the lottery

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

How about that Lance Armstrong?!?!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

Uh oh, Zs power rankings are out.  Maybe the Pats can make a trade for a real QB.

Denver Broncos (2-0) 
    This is what Mike Shanahan's boys showed me on that oven of a night in Tempe. The temperature hit 103 degrees, and in the first quarter the big fatsos on the Cardinals shoved the Broncs around. But it was the visitors who came on and played through it and the home team that melted. I'm greatly looking forward to Sunday's contest against Baltimore.27

Indianapolis Colts (2-0) 
    Again the no-huddle, with Peyton Manning calling the game at the line, ran up a big tally. This reminds me of the genesis of the Buffalo hurry-up in the early '90s. It's effective when we use it so why not use it all the time? The only problem is the frenetic pace that it puts on my charting mechanism.36

Miami Dolphins (2-0) 
    After the Raiders kicked a field goal on the opening drive of the second half, the Dolphins' defense held them to one first down in their next five series, and that, I believe, was why Miami won the game. The cavalry charge in the final minute was colorful, but the defense set the tone.41

St. Louis Rams (2-0) 
    I'm expecting heat. For those of you who wish to get emotional about my lowering a team three notches after a victory, send along your address and I will drop by with my tape of the 49ers game and show you many examples of extreme sloppiness and unsound football habits. And I think Miami will upset the Rams Sunday -- in St. Louis.511

Green Bay Packers (2-0) 
    Ahman Green is a punishing runner who gets into nasty moods but he drops the ball too much. Dorsey Levens is quietly effective and a better receiver. This is the platform a now-healthy Brett Favre needs to lead a high-powered offense.62

Baltimore Ravens (1-1) 
    Let's not get hysterical about this. The Super Bowl champs turned the ball over six times and got upset by the Bengals. Oh yes, they were also outhustled and outhit. A wake-up call or a portent of things to come?75

New Orleans Saints (1-0) 
    The bye week cost them two spots. I told you, it's a meaner system this week.84

Oakland Raiders (1-1) 
    I would have dropped them more, except that my wife held me back because she likes the city. When's the last time you saw an Al Davis team go into one of those soft defenses at the end and let the other team come waltzing down the field?910

Philadelphia Eagles (1-1) 
    The bad news is that Duce Staley will be out for a while. The good news is that they have Dallas at home, Arizona at home and a bye.1013

Jacksonville Jaguars (2-0) 
    They're on a mission. They don't seem to be feuding with the coach anymore. Stacey Mack had a big day in relief of injured Fred Taylor, and they're hoping that he's for real.118

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0) 
    Interesting to see how they handle the roadie at Minnesota. The Vikings are a team they don't particularly like.1212

New York Giants (1-1) 
    The Saints, whom they face this week, seem to be a team built for the Giants' style, willing to turn the game into a defensive slugfest, which it should be.139

Tennessee Titans (0-2) 
    This is the team I had facing the Rams in the Super Bowl. I won't fall into the trap of September hand-wringing, but it makes me wonder if old age is simply depriving me of too many brain cells.1421

San Diego Chargers (2-0) 
    Oh, it'll be a fun afternoon all right when the Superchargers face Cincinnati in the Cinderella Bowl. If the taper doesn't act up on me, I'll be recording it, and particularly noting the O-line, which I have trouble believing has finally gotten itself together.1516

New York Jets (1-1) 
    Sorry, can't raise them in the rankings after the win over the Patriots. The Monday nighter against the Niners is a different story.1617

San Francisco 49ers (1-1) 
    Jeff Garcia's a gutsy QB and fun to watch, and he gave the Rams some anxious moments. But when his go-to guy, Terrell Owens, drops four passes and his next favorite receiver, J.J. Stokes, drops two, they'd better open a new can of wideouts.1714

Kansas City Chiefs (0-2) 
    Both losses at Arrowhead, which used to be terra worriosa for visiting teams.1820

Pittsburgh Steelers (0-1) 
    They visit Buffalo, and the Bills are back on their heels, but Pittsburgh hasn't won there since the Terry Bradsaw, Jack Lambert Super Bowl era.1926

Atlanta Falcons (1-1) 
    Quietly climbing back from his knee injury, Jamal Anderson is having a spectacular year. And even without Anderson's 94-yard TD catch, Chris Chandler averaged 15 yards per completion, which means that things are happening downfield.2027

Cincinnati Bengals (2-0) 
    I have a theory about the Bengals. The young, highly drafted defensive talent is finally maturing. My players of the game against Baltimore? OLB Takeo Spikes and DT Oliver Gibson, who simply manhandled the guys trying to block him.2119

Buffalo Bills (0-2) 
    In the old days, they'd figure out a way to lasso the kind of whirlwind Indy unleashed on them, but their defensive unit has thinned out.2228

Chicago Bears (1-1) 
    Bolder approach now that Jim Miller is at QB. They'll have the bye week to figure out where their future really lies in that department, but it seems that the question has been lingering for a few years.2322

Carolina Panthers (1-1) 
    The bright spot is that Chris Weinke stayed cool and collected and remarkably poised for a rookie.2415

Minnesota Vikings (0-2) 
    Did you see those sideline shots of all the stars yapping at each other? And then they refused to talk to the press after the game. In the old days, when they were doing all that scoring, they never minded discussing it.2523

Seattle Seahawks (1-1) 
    Fans yelled for Trent Dilfer. Except in the land of dreams, he probably never heard that before.2624

Arizona Cardinals (0-1) 
    They play in the hottest place in the country, yet they have the biggest, fattest linemen on both sides of the ball. Someone needs to do a geographical research project here.2730

Cleveland Browns (1-1) 
    The seven picks off of Detroit might have used up a two-month quota. Serious consideration will follow a victory over a major opponent.2818

Detroit Lions (0-2) 
    I'd devote a lot of practice time to the running game if I were coach Mornhinweg (There! I spelled it right).2925

Washington Redskins (0-2) 
    The offensive line got overrun by the Pack. Jeff George is now a five-yard dinker. The best defensive player, Marco Coleman, is out with an elbow injury, and, of less significance but more newspaper space,LaVar Arrington is out with a bad knee. I'm looking for bright spots. Well, Stephen Davis ran well, but when put in a catch-up mode early on, his significance diminishes.3031

Dallas Cowboys (0-2) 
    There are signs of intelligent life, but not many of them. Emmitt is still running hard. Why don't they just pledge their season to getting him as many yards as they can, as he closes in on Walter Payton's record?3129

New England Patriots (0-2) 
    This is sad. Drew Bledsoe took a big hit and is out indefinitely. Honestly, I don't know what weapons they have with which to win a game.

thats funny man.. is dr z even around any more?   i live in L.A. and predicted to my friends out here that the patriots were going to win the super bowl that year. nobody of course took me seriously but i really believed they would. looking back at it i don't know why i felt that way, probably just being a homer.. once the playoffs started there was no doubt though. the oakland game was a surprise because i thought they would have won that one easily.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

I love the part of the Brady 6 documentary where the late great Steve Sabol quotes the scouting report and they show images of him doing absolutely everything they said he couldn't in the report. You can never EVER judge just how much a man wants to be the best.

Actually here's a link for those of you who're wondering what i'm talking about:

http://youtu.be/U2YYrGrYynw  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

thats funny man.. is dr z even around any more?   i live in L.A. and predicted to my friends out here that the patriots were going to win the super bowl that year. nobody of course took me seriously but i really believed they would. looking back at it i don't know why i felt that way, probably just being a homer.. once the playoffs started there was no doubt though. the oakland game was a surprise because i thought they would have won that one easily.

Suffered a stroke in 2008.  Can't walk or speak anymore.  Peter King updates fans from time to time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

5 -5 through 10 games.  This Brady kid sucks.  At least when Drew gets better he'll be starting again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

In response to shenanigan's comment:

My wife and I started getting the feeling around week 11-12. We noticed that the Pats kept getting breaks (also could be interpreted as the Pats making plays). By week 15, we were "pretty sure" they were going deep in the playoffs. We were telling our friends, who were not really into the Pats, to start watching because it was really fun to watch.

On that snow game vs OAK, my wife and I were laughing when TB lost the ball, saying that the breaks ran out... And then the review and then we kept laughing after the announcement. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

"Bill Belichick is pond scum again. Arrogant, megalomaniacal, duplicitous pond scum." Kevin Mannix after Lawyer Milloy was released.

In 2003, the New England Patriots released popular safety Lawyer Milloy, who signed with the Buffalo Bills and helped his new team shutout New England on opening weekend, 31-0. On an episode of NFL Countdown, Tom Jackson claimed that the Patriots were not behind head coach Bill Belichick, saying the following: "Let me say this clearly: they hate their coach." His provocative claim drew fervent denials from the Patriots locker room. Belichick was stunned by the remark and the lack of an apology as the season continued. The Patriots recovered from the Buffalo loss and finished the regular season at a league-best 14-2. After the team was victorious in Super Bowl XXXVIII over the Carolina Panthers, Jackson attempted to shake Belichick's hand. The coach responded: "Go f!@# yourself." The post-game interview with Belichick was handled entirely by Chris Berman.

After the Buffalo loss the Patriots won 23 of their next 24 games, and 35 of 38 games, and hoist two Lombardi trophies in the process.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

"Bill Belichick is pond scum again. Arrogant, megalomaniacal, duplicitous pond scum." Kevin Mannix after Lawyer Milloy was released.

In 2003, the New England Patriots released popular safety Lawyer Milloy, who signed with the Buffalo Bills and helped his new team shutout New England on opening weekend, 31-0. On an episode of NFL Countdown, Tom Jackson claimed that the Patriots were not behind head coach Bill Belichick, saying the following: "Let me say this clearly: they hate their coach." His provocative claim drew fervent denials from the Patriots locker room. Belichick was stunned by the remark and the lack of an apology as the season continued. The Patriots recovered from the Buffalo loss and finished the regular season at a league-best 14-2. After the team was victorious in Super Bowl XXXVIII over the Carolina Panthers, Jackson attempted to shake Belichick's hand. The coach responded: "Go f!@# yourself." The post-game interview with Belichick was handled entirely by Chris Berman.

After the Buffalo loss the Patriots won 23 of their next 24 games, and 35 of 38 games, and hoist two Lombardi trophies in the process.

Explains a lot. He tries to hide his hatred for the Pats but somehow can't hide it.

Sections
Shortcuts