Thug is now a code word

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Thug is now a code word

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

According to Steven A. Smith for the N word.

When does all this BS stop?

Stupid Fk is also a code word! Hey, isnt "the N word" code for the "N" word???? Damnnnnnn.....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agent617. Show agent617's posts

The only time I hear the word thug used is in reference to a minority,  when you don't like the actions or personality of a black person they become a thug these days.

Is Sherman is idiot? Yes,  Did he take away from his team's bictory? Yes Is he a thug? No

There were five different fights at the start of a hockey the other night, no one guy was called a thug, just saying

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Rusty straight taking off on this kid. +1000 great posts above russ. great points

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Actually I believe there is merit in what he says when you hear what is being said on fox news and by Rush Limbaugh. More than once he has called the president a thug because at one time he was a community organizer. The concept is not new and it was used by Regan in his souther strategy and in some form or other since then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to agent617's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only time I hear the word thug used is in reference to a minority,  when you don't like the actions or personality of a black person they become a thug these days.

Is Sherman is idiot? Yes,  Did he take away from his team's bictory? Yes Is he a thug? No

There were five different fights at the start of a hockey the other night, no one guy was called a thug, just saying

[/QUOTE]

Funny, isn't it, how hockey players seem to always be held up as "good guys" compared to players in other sports.  The majority of them are white.  Coincidence?  Probably not. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Not to disturb some who have racist agendas but in 2011 Bleacher Report did an article on the 50 biggest "thugs" in hockey.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/897210-nhl-video-50-biggest-thugs-in-hockey-history

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Most of the thugs in my old neighborhood were Itallian except for the thugs that were Irish.  The rest were miscelaneous white thugs.  I think ratios were consistent with ethnic makeup of the neighborhood.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to NonChalant1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The words thug, punk, bum, s**mbag,etc. are used interchangably to describe people. There probably aren't too many bonified semanticists out there.

The fact that some in the black community will play the race card [along with their bleeding heart liberals] at contrived opportunties, impedes this country from moving forward!!

Jackson, Sharpton, Farrakan,Belifonte are racists by definition. That is how they make their living.

Carson,Cosby,Steele,Williams are the people who should be listened to.

[/QUOTE]

We are on a messageboard where this man jsut referred to Harry BELAFONTE as a racist.  A man who lived in a time where a white woman holding his hand was controversial and he had to fear for his life.  This is the lunacy of this board.  You know nothing about black people, and are an ignorant racist.  It's really that simple.  You don't want to understand because you've made up your mind.  I'm embarrassed to be a part of the same fan base as you.  You're the type Fox News watching, loud-mouth conservative radio personality-listening brain-washed person who seeks to profess morality and what is right.  You just sat there and listed a bunch of black people who do not engage with the African-American community in anyway and are just seen as people who (Cosby aside) play a token role by saying what white racist want to say but cannot because then they'd be regarded as such.  They have no credeibility and have been refuted at every interval and have found themselves in endless contradictions.  I have black friends who are conservatives and still recognize that most conservatives have no understanding of race in America.  The same people who labeled MLK a terrorist in his heyday and claimed that he was disturbing the status quo now want to use his name to defend their talking points....you're that type.  You're a joke, and I'm happy that my generation is nothing like you. 

[/QUOTE]

Gee, the truth hurts doesn't it. You have black friends. WOW, do you have any other impressive credentials?  As to your generation, what ever it may be, I guess you THINK they are all like you. Your generation is superior to my generation. How naive. Do you live on "the New York City Plantation" as described by Belefonte?

I notice that you did not dispute that Jackson,Sharpton,Farrakan are racists and make their living from it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey, look, another long thread in which White people proclaim their superiority to Black people when it comes to understanding what is and isn't racism. 

[/QUOTE]

PRO....Do you and the Mayor of TORONTO represent Canada???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

We need to stop painting with a broad brush. It cuts both ways.

http://www.salon.com/2002/10/25/belafonte/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sherman is a wimp to start that comparison about the N word. he likes to talk trash. he needs to become mature, and then maybe people won't classify him as a thug. he needs to aspire to the dream of MLK, instead of pissing on it with his childish tirades and rants and starting some kind of new race card.

I don't care what his educational credentials are. the dude wants to live on the edge and protray himslef as a ganster to help with his insecurities.

he has a serious case of the dumbassssss. and has no class, or grace

Go Seahawks

[/QUOTE]

By that logic, this man is a thug because he was notorious for running his mouth. In fact, that's part of the reason why he's one of my favorite basketball players.

[/QUOTE]

keep trying to spin it dude. running your mouth during a game is the norm. but acting like a lunatic and spewing hate during an interview is immature.

Sherman ran his mouth after the game, took the spot light away from his teams great victory, then started crying race card after being called a thug.

[/QUOTE]

Then why not call him what he is? @$$hole, tool, d0uche, classless, imature, idiot, punk, dumb@$$, moron, clown? Why call him a "thug"?

A thug is a criminal, a violent person, a person that shouldn't be allowed around other people because they're not socially conditioned to not commit a crime. Sherman didn't curse, didn't incite violence, didn't do anything except be passionate and run his mouth. Do you guys not see what people mean by a "codeword"? He's not a "thug" by any definition of the word, but he gets called one anyway. Something with the softest president we've had since Jimmy Carter. Obama gets called a "thug" even though he's a pushover and the Republicans gets whatever they want the majority of te time.

You don't wonder why only black guys get called a thug? Think sbout it? Why is Sherman a "thug"? Answer that.

[/QUOTE]

You're twisting this back around.  I don't think the debate is if he is a thug or violent off field person, etc, but the idea he and Stephen A. Smith claim the term is replacing the N Word, when it isn't.  That's a race baiting premise, IMO.

My question to you is, why are you sensitive about that specific word?  A punk is a thug. A thug is a punk. WHo cares what word is used and why do you think it only applies to the black community when it's not even a word that had origins in the black community?

Like I said above, cerrtain words get adopted in society, some lose their cache, and others come to the forefront. It's not racial epithet.  It's an adopted Hindu word that has been Westernized into meaning someone who is violent or instigates violence.

WHite Bulger. Aaron Hernandez.  Suggs dragging his girlfriend by her hair and pouring bleach on a toddler.  These are people are puukes.  Punks. Thugs.  

This is being taken way too literally by black people who apparently are a bit too sensitive and overreactive.

I never once in my life have used the N word because it's offensive, wrong and completely demeaning to black people. BUt, I have used the word thug to describe punks off the field.

Or, criminal behavior, white, black, Hispanic, whatever.

This whole thing is race baiting and stupid. It makes Smith and Sherman look bad, too.

[/QUOTE]

First of all, this is why I enjoy your contribution to these boards. You're so old that you bring insightvto an era that i know little about. I've never, in my 23 years of living, have I heard anyone equate "thug" to "punk", then I remembered that Bugs Bunny called Rocky and Mugsy "punks" in a Looney Tunes cartoon and remembered you're from the same era.

1 archaic :  prostitute 2 [probably partly from 3punk] :  nonsense, foolishness 3 a :  a young inexperienced person :  beginner, novice; especially :  a young man   b :  a usually petty gangster, hoodlum, or ruffian   c slang :  a young man used as a homosexual partner especially in a prison 4 a :  punk rock   b :  a punk rock musician   c :  one who affects punk styles  

But as you can see, the word has many meanings and the "thug" part doesn't belong with the mordern use of the word.
      As far as Sherman is concerned, a common stereotype about black men is that they're criminals, savages, overly masculine and can't control themselves, you know, like a thug. Maybe say it's the N-Word is too strong, but it certainly is a "codeword" used by racists to imply black inferiority.
      It doesn't mean that everyone who uses it is a racist, it means when someone uses it indiscriminately to describe black people might have a hidden agenda. Someone on this site, won't mention their name, certainly proved that. After he called Sherman a "thug", he then called him an "animal" and a "boy".
      Come on, that guy is so racist. Most of you, on the other hand, I just think you're old. Grew up in a different time and don't know much about non-middle class America. I grew up poor, went to school with blacks, whites and latin kids and I can put myself in their shoes.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, you are 23 years old. Children should be seen , not heard.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Rusty, excellent comments

and I do noy know of anything you said that conservatives disagree with, and i am not calling you a conservative

I will add only this

We all know MLKs " content of character..." Which is the essence of what America is supposed to be about, but the race hustlers have all but destroyed,

but to me , I also remember Guees who's coming to dinner. whereSydney the son says to ossie the father

" You see yourself as a black man, I see my self as a man"

Until that comes to pass , we will always have this constant bs I am afraid

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Funny, isn't it, how hockey players seem to always be held up as "good guys" compared to players in other sports.  The majority of them are white.  Coincidence?  Probably not. 

[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking, they are. Very well mannered, classy, professional and come from farming or blue collar backgrounds.

Can we please stop spinning and denying facts? It's socio-economic, not racial.

But, yes, some hockey players are referred to as goons or thugs.  Should the guy from Canada who can't skate but makes his living trying to fight people all the time, who is called a goon, be all offended and defensive?

[/QUOTE]

I think Charles Murray did a study of two desperate tows, one RISC and one poor, and both white which demonstrated a total fifeerence in cultural values which fed into the corresponding successes and failures 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking, they are. Very well mannered, classy, professional and come from farming or blue collar backgrounds.

But, yes, some hockey players are referred to as goons or thugs.  Should the guy from Canada who can't skate but makes his living trying to fight people all the time, who is called a goon, be all offended and defensive?

[/QUOTE]

Hey Queenie!  No work today?  I figured that after all the late nights posting on BDC and then posting all day long while "working from home" that the boss might want you to go into the office today. What a great "job" you must have to pay you for posting on BDC 18 hours a day.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MileHighMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Queenie!  No work today?  I figured that after all the late nights posting on BDC and then posting all day long while "working from home" that the boss might want you to go into the office today. What a great "job" you must have to pay you for posting on BDC 18 hours a day.

[/QUOTE]

A lot better than working at the movies like yourself, Bustchise.  Must be something to have so much time to create 3 and 4 new board characters per week for yourself.

How ever do you find the time to leave that "standing desk" you rely on so much? bahwwahah

Cannot be made up.  "I wouldn't know what I would do without my standing desk." - Bustchise, 2012

Looking a little grumpy there, Bustchise:

[/QUOTE]

What is that a picture of?   Still obsessed with who is who, Queenie?  How sad.  Still unable to post any evidence that Welker and Talib running into each other was some kind of dirt hit or even PI, still claiming that McCourty did not commit PI on Manning's first scoring drive, yet all you can do is make claims as to who you think is who.  That is just pathetic.  Any pland to lead the free world this weekend, Mr President?  Bwahahahahahahahaha!  Loooooooooo SIR!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Sherman would never be a Patriot!  He is too tall and can stop WR's from scoring!

The Pats corners are small and stop nothing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wth are you talking about, "thug" is tossed around in hockey like candy as well as "goon". Everyone calls Cook a thug for what he does on the ice. Thug has been a word around for over a 200 years originating in India for a clan of assassins. It's a term for a person who uses the threat of force as intimediation or a violent criminal. Have I seen it used as a racial sterotype, yep I have. Do you know why? Because rap stars like Tupac  made the "thug life" famous and the vast majority of rap stars happen to be black. Not to mention in the 90's and early 00's how many black sports stars loved to live the "thug life" as they themselves called it. If there is anything racial about it blame the rap stars and sports stars for celebratizing it because to the rest of the world thug isn't racial. As for Sherman, I have no clue what he's like off the field but much like Cook in Hockey he uses violence over the normal football violence then celebrates over those he hits as a means of intimedation without regard for that persons ovverall safety so much like Cook when they are on the field/ice I will call both thugs because that's what they are on the field same as Bird was on the court. Ask anyone but a Celtics fan and they would say Bird was a thug on the court. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LMAO.   There is absolutely merit to the article.  Something that some folks, like Dick, will never get because of sheer ignorance.

There's a phrase that's commonly used down south, and it has nothing to do with racism per se, but rather the duplicitous nature of "common" phrases.

In the south, people commonly use the phrase "Bless your heart".  Those who do not live in the south will take it's literal meaning, but those who were raised in the south express the phrase - but for it's figurative meaning - "You are an idiot."

In addition, I question if many white people who were raised in an atmosphere where they are the majority race truly understand racism. This is not to say that white people don't experience racism, but rather, they probably don't experience racism a majority of their lifetime. Although, I certainly could see a white person experiencing quite a bit of racism, if for example, they were raised in a black neighborhood during his/her entire childhood. 

So, yeah - thug very well could be code for the N word.

To all the posters who are like, Dick, I say to you "Bless your heart"

[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard that "bless your heart" phrase in years.  Made me laugh.  (My father's from the South.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wth are you talking about, "thug" is tossed around in hockey like candy as well as "goon". Everyone calls Cook a thug for what he does on the ice. Thug has been a word around for over a 200 years originating in India for a clan of assassins. It's a term for a person who uses the threat of force as intimediation or a violent criminal. Have I seen it used as a racial sterotype, yep I have. Do you know why? Because rap stars like Tupac  made the "thug life" famous and the vast majority of rap stars happen to be black. Not to mention in the 90's and early 00's how many black sports stars loved to live the "thug life" as they themselves called it. If there is anything racial about it blame the rap stars and sports stars for celebratizing it because to the rest of the world thug isn't racial. As for Sherman, I have no clue what he's like off the field but much like Cook in Hockey he uses violence over the normal football violence then celebrates over those he hits as a means of intimedation without regard for that persons ovverall safety so much like Cook when they are on the field/ice I will call both thugs because that's what they are on the field same as Bird was on the court. Ask anyone but a Celtics fan and they would say Bird was a thug on the court. 

In hockey, they call guys "thugs" who beat other guys up.  In football, they call guys "thugs" just because they're black and talk a lot. 

Also, just because some black rap stars are or want to be seen as thugs is no reason to assume other black people are or want to be seen as thugs.   But somehow a lot of white people seem to lump all black people together.  If some rap star is violent, then all black people are responsible and probably complicit and therefore deserve to be called thugs too.  If Jesse Jackson says something outrageous, then all Black people are complicit.   That's the very essence of racism.  It's why reading the posts on this site by white people denying the existence of racism is to me about the most convincing evidence that racism is alive and well one could ask for. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

In hockey, they call guys "thugs" who beat other guys up.  In football, they call guys "thugs" just because they're black and talk a lot. 

[/QUOTE]

Like who? Suggs, Harrison, Pollard, Sherman? All of which are known as dirty players who enjoy using extreme violence to hurt other players and act like they enjoy it in press conferences? Does it happen, I have no clue maybe but not from my experience. Look at the big mouths on the Jets, I don't see them being called thugs. I never heard Revis called a thug but maybe I'm just blind to it. There are black hockey players, why don't I hear them called thugs? What about the black baseball players? NBA players have some of the biggest mouths I've ever seen but thug is reserved for a small number of them who either act like it off the court (some relish in it actually) or are violent on the court. So what makes football so special that it's gets it's own special secret code for the n word when it doesn't seem in any other sport or way of life general does with exception of those who act the stereotype from rap songs, much like I call people who act like the redneck country songs rednecks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not to pick on you, but this is an extremely racist statement.  You are saying that if blacks are stereotyped, it's their fault, not the stereotyper's fault.  But there's no reason to assume that just because black person A acts in a certain way, black person B must act the same way.  If you are making that assumption, you are stereotyping, and you're completely responsible for making a connection between person A and person B based on their common skin colour.  In reality, person B may have nothing at all in common with person A other than skin colour and your assumption, based on skin colour, that they do have something else in common is pure and simple racism. 

Sections
Shortcuts