Thug is now a code word

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Thug is now a code word

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In hockey, they call guys "thugs" who beat other guys up.  In football, they call guys "thugs" just because they're black and talk a lot. 

Also, just because some black rap stars are or want to be seen as thugs is no reason to assume other black people are or want to be seen as thugs.   But somehow a lot of white people seem to lump all black people together.  If some rap star is violent, then all black people are responsible and probably complicit and therefore deserve to be called thugs too.  If Jesse Jackson says something outrageous, then all Black people are complicit.   That's the very essence of racism.  It's why reading the posts on this site by white people denying the existence of racism is to me about the most convincing evidence that racism is alive and well one could ask for. 

Please point out who said all black people are like that. I believe everyone (except Rusty I'm guessing) has said if you want to act the part you are the part. I grew up in a poorer black neighborhood and can tell you some relished the thug life and some wanted to escape it. You are right, you shouldn't lump everyone into one catagory. But thanks for lumping in "a lot" of white people as believing that. You are doing the exact same thing you are blaming white people for. But yes you are right assumption is the essence of racism like say, assuming all white people can only mean one thing, or feel all black people act one way, or that white people can't experience racism?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

http://www.newsweek.com/knockout-game-has-america-fearing-thugs-once-more-207261

Interesting article written before all this Sherman stuff . . . the use of the word "thug" to describe blacks is increasingly being noticed by those sensitive to the nuances of language and racist subtexts. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not to pick on you, but this is an extremely racist statement.  You are saying that if blacks are stereotyped, it's their fault, not the stereotyper's fault.  But there's no reason to assume that just because black person A acts in a certain way, black person B must act the same way.  If you are making that assumption, you are stereotyping, and you're completely responsible for making a connection between person A and person B based on their common skin colour.  In reality, person B may have nothing at all in common with person A other than skin colour and your assumption, based on skin colour, that they do have something else in common is pure and simple racism. 

If they celebrate it then yes it is. Just like with country music celebrating being a redneck. They are creating that stereotype on their own yet I've seen black people assume anyone who likes country music is a redneck. I don't blame them I blame the people who create and celebrate that lifestyle for keeping it alive! Why can't you see all races do this, esp in the entertainment industry. Why is your only focus is on black vs white when all races live up their stereotypes in entertainment and are celebrated for it. Cosby said it best, if you want to destroy a stereotype you have to do so as a culture and you can't be celebrating and glamourtizing it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

When I was a kid Mafia guys were called "thugs".....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Not to pick on you, but this is an extremely racist statement.  You are saying that if blacks are stereotyped, it's their fault, not the stereotyper's fault.  But there's no reason to assume that just because black person A acts in a certain way, black person B must act the same way.  If you are making that assumption, you are stereotyping, and you're completely responsible for making a connection between person A and person B based on their common skin colour.  In reality, person B may have nothing at all in common with person A other than skin colour and your assumption, based on skin colour, that they do have something else in common is pure and simple racism. 

If they celebrate it then yes it is. Just like with country music celebrating being a redneck. They are creating that stereotype on their own yet I've seen black people assume anyone who likes country music is a redneck. I don't blame them I blame the people who create and celebrate that lifestyle for keeping it alive! Why can't you see all races do this, esp in the entertainment industry. Why is your only focus is on black vs white when all races live up their stereotypes in entertainment and are celebrated for it. Cosby said it best, if you want to destroy a stereotype you have to do so as a culture and you can't be celebrating and glamourtizing it.

So everyone knows that the Irish are drunks.  I mean, not all of them, of course, but a lot of 'em are.  So if you're Irish you may not be a drunk yourself, but you really can't blame others for thinking you're a drunk. I mean it's your culture so if you don't want people to think you're  a drunk, change your culture.  

Basically that's what you're saying about blacks. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So everyone knows that the Irish are drunks.  I mean, not all of them, of course, but a lot of 'em are.  So if you're Irish you may not be a drunk yourself, but you really can't blame others for thinking you're a drunk. I mean it's your culture so if you don't want people to think you're  a drunk, change your culture.  

Yep and I don't blame them or you for saying that. I hear that a lot actually that I must drink like a fish and I cringe every time I hear about a Irish guy from southie on youtube being drunk. It's a cultural stereotype that is celebrated on St Patty's day but in Ireland that's considered a religous holiday and they hardly drink on it. And Irish cultural clubs around the country try to change the stereotype and have had protests around representations of drunk irish in movies and even Irish musicians have tried to take it on their own to not emphize drinking in their songs (except Drop Kick Murphy's who relish in the extra money from drinking songs in which mostly appeal to college kids who drink anyways). Yes it's up to the Irish community to change that stereotype and not be uncontrollable drunks who drink like water and fight like boxers when in reality most Irish aren't like that. It's more class based then culture based. Irish enjoy social drinks not getting drunk but poorer Irish get drunk (like most cultures) and when the stereotype was created there was a large portion of Irish people who drunk themselves stupid because they were poor. But again that's a stereotype the Irish culture created and it's one we have to stop ourselves too. The first step is to get the stereotype out of entertainment industry and not to celebrate it. Celebrating it only enhances it in the end.

Btw I never said all or even a lot of blacks are thugs. I said a small portion if you look back and read through it and if you act like it then yes I will call you that. The only person in our conversation saying "a lot" or "majority" or assuming that we are talking a large portion is you on this matter. I have a lot of childhood black friends from my neighborhood and most of them hate the thug culture only one embraced it and we haven't seen him since he went to jail. So, I know for a fact it's not "a lot" of black people who act that way but it only takes a small portion witha high profile to influence people how don't normally live with that culture in their life. For example a lot of asian friends I met in college thought America was like Sinfield and Friends because that's what they were exposed to in entertainment and had no exposure to our culture outside of that entertainment

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yep and I don't blame them or you for saying that. I hear that a lot actually that I must drink like a fish and I cringe every time I hear about a Irish guy from southie on youtube being drunk. It's a cultural stereotype that is celebrated on St Patty's day but in Ireland that's considered a religous holiday and they hardly drink on it. And Irish cultural clubs around the country try to change the stereotype and have had protests around representations of drunk irish in movies and even Irish musicians have tried to take it on their own to not emphize drinking in their songs (except Drop Kick Murphy's who relish in the extra money from drinking songs in which mostly appeal to college kids who drink anyways). Yes it's up to the Irish community to change that stereotype and not be uncontrollable drunks who drink like water and fight like boxers when in reality most Irish aren't like that. It's more class based then culture based. Irish enjoy social drinks not getting drunk but poorer Irish get drunk (like most cultures) and when the stereotype was created there was a large portion of Irish people who drunk themselves stupid because they were poor. But again that's a stereotype the Irish culture created and it's one we have to stop ourselves too. The first step is to get the stereotype out of entertainment industry and not to celebrate it. Celebrating it only enhances it in the end.

But see, I don't think it's fair to stereotype the Irish as drunks, because being Irish doesn't mean you're a drunk. My wife's Irish (or at least half Irish).  She's not a drunk.  Her dad might have been a drunk, but he was Scottish . . .Wink

There may be a stereotype about the Irish being drunk . . . but the reality is much more complex and anyone who falls into stereotyping the Irish as drunks has only himself to blame. It's not an Irish problem.  It's the stereotyper's problem. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

But see, I don't think it's fair to stereotype the Irish as drunks, because being Irish doesn't mean you're a drunk. My wife's Irish (or at least half Irish).  She's not a drunk.  Her dad might have been a drunk, but he was Scottish . . .Wink

There may be a stereotype about the Irish being drunk . . . but the reality is much more complex and anyone who falls into stereotyping the Irish as drunks has only himself to blame. It's not an Irish problem.  It's the stereotyper's problem. 

Fair or not it's one that the Irish culture created and for years made money off of. How many Irish comics made tons of money off being drunk, tons of comedies made fun of it, cartoons, music looking back on it I can't blame people because it was so imbedded into the entertainment culture those who didn't know better have nothing else to compare it to so I can see how they could take it as an exagerated truth but still had truth behind it.

In the end the Irish celebraties made money off of it and no one tried to stop them and many made money off those celebraties so it's up to the Irish society to fix it and educate those who believe the stereotype. The only way we are going to stop it is to change that stereotype and prevent the propergation of the stereotype through entertainment. If you notice on St Patty's day see how many of the parades are sponsered by the Irish community and in some cities actually have Irish club sponsered designater driver programs. Again these are things the Irish community is doing to stop the stereotype and this is what needs to be done in the black community as a whole. They need to start removing the stereotype from entertainment to make money off of it and start programs to remove it. I'm sure there are plenty out there but until it's no longer celebrated and romanticized in both movies and music how are things going to change?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'll just pull a couple of statements from this thread that strike me as reflecting stereotypical attitudes about blacks or lumping all blacks together:

If you don't want to be called a thug don't beat women, traffic drugs, murder people, have 2000 different kids from 1000 different women, etc etc.  [Sherman did none of those things]

It's not a skin color, it's a mentality. The black community needs to smarten up and stop looking for excuses, they just look stupid. [The black community . . . all blacks?]

Perhaps if leaders in the black community would speak out more about the actions of their own instead of making excuses for those actions, they would serve their race better. Al Sharpton and Jesse James to me have zero credibilty. [More lumping of all blacks together]

wonder what Martin Luther King Jr would say about how African-Americans carried his message to this day?  Seems they use the race card far more often today than "whites" did in the days of MLK. [more lumping]

Until blacks stop thinking with their skin. and stop trying the bait and switch on  behavior or anything else that comes to deflect critisicsm. [broad negative generalizations based on race]

I just don't see what good it does blacks in leadership positions to continue on playing the race card so frequently, when it's completely unneccesary to do so.

1. Do not join a gang.

2. Do not get knocked up or doing any knocking up in high school (0r college).

3. Graduate high school. I don't care how long it takes, just get it done.

4. Get to college.

5. Graduate college.

You have to work towards something and have skills. You can't just show up and expect to be handed something. It doesn't work that way.  [a list of stereotypes--Rusty was trying not to be racist here, but he fell into repeating stereotypes which shows how even someone sincerely not wanting to be a racist is still affected by the prevalence of stereotypes]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Fair or not it's one that the Irish culture created and for years made money off of. How many Irish comics made tons of money off being drunk, tons of comedies made fun of it, cartoons, music looking back on it I can't blame people because it was so imbedded into the entertainment culture those who didn't know better have nothing else to compare it to so I can see how they could take it as an exagerated truth but still had truth behind it.

In the end the Irish celebraties made money off of it and no one tried to stop them and many made money off those celebraties so it's up to the Irish society to fix it and educate those who believe the stereotype. The only way we are going to stop it is to change that stereotype and prevent the propergation of the stereotype through entertainment. If you notice on St Patty's day see how many of the parades are sponsered by the Irish community and in some cities actually have Irish club sponsered designater driver programs. Again these are things the Irish community is doing to stop the stereotype and this is what needs to be done in the black community as a whole. They need to start removing the stereotype from entertainment to make money off of it and start programs to remove it. I'm sure there are plenty out there but until it's no longer celebrated and romanticized in both movies and music how are things going to change?

I still see no justification in seeing Irish people as drunks.  In fact, I think it's wrong to do so, even if millions of Irish are drunks and millions celebrate drunkenness or make their living making jokes about Irish drunkeness.  Everyone deserves to be judged as an individual.  We have to each be responsible to avoid letting stereotypes based on race, ethnicity, religion, or whatever influence the way we think and talk about people we don't even know. 

I do think people apply the word "thug" to young black men a little too freely and I think that's because a stereotype exists about young black men.  We need to avoid letting ourselves slip into that stereotypical thinking and if we slip, it's our our fault and only our fault.  The fact that some black rapper may celebrate the thug life is no excuse for letting ourselves slip into the generalizations about what black people are like based on their race.  Those stereotypes are damaging to the black individuals who don't fit the stereotype and its wrong for us to perpetuate the stereotypes because they do damage others.  

Try to flag a cab at night while black . . . and you'll see how sterotypes are a constant nuisance to those who are affected by them.  Not being able to get a cab may be only a minor inconvenience, but believe me if you're a young black man looking for a job the stereotypes create an obstacle that your white counterparts simply don't have to worry about. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'll just pull a couple of statements from this thread that strike me as reflecting stereotypical attitudes about blacks or lumping all blacks together:

If you don't want to be called a thug don't beat women, traffic drugs, murder people, have 2000 different kids from 1000 different women, etc etc.  [Sherman did none of those things]

It's not a skin color, it's a mentality. The black community needs to smarten up and stop looking for excuses, they just look stupid. [The black community . . . all blacks?]

Perhaps if leaders in the black community would speak out more about the actions of their own instead of making excuses for those actions, they would serve their race better. Al Sharpton and Jesse James to me have zero credibilty. [More lumping of all blacks together]

wonder what Martin Luther King Jr would say about how African-Americans carried his message to this day?  Seems they use the race card far more often today than "whites" did in the days of MLK. [more lumping]

Until blacks stop thinking with their skin. and stop trying the bait and switch on  behavior or anything else that comes to deflect critisicsm. [broad negative generalizations based on race]

I just don't see what good it does blacks in leadership positions to continue on playing the race card so frequently, when it's completely unneccesary to do so.

1. Do not join a gang.

2. Do not get knocked up or doing any knocking up in high school (0r college).

3. Graduate high school. I don't care how long it takes, just get it done.

4. Get to college.

5. Graduate college.

You have to work towards something and have skills. You can't just show up and expect to be handed something. It doesn't work that way.  [a list of stereotypes--Rusty was trying not to be racist here, but he fell into repeating stereotypes which shows how even someone sincerely not wanting to be a racist is still affected by the prevalence of stereotypes]

I'm guessing most of that is Rusty. I have him on ignore so I pretty much see none of that and have trained myself to skip over any posts that are replying to him but for the most part you've made similar statements regarding white and lumping them in. For some of the statements though were the specifically referencing Sherman (ie in reference to not being called a thug) or where they a general if you don't want to be called a thug. If it's general I agree with that statement, don't do that and you won't be and if it was directly in reference to Sherman then yes I say that's a bad statement to make period

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I still see no justification in seeing Irish people as drunks.  In fact, I think it's wrong to do so, even if millions of Irish are drunks and millions celebrate drunkenness or make their living making jokes about Irish drunkeness.  Everyone deserves to be judged as an individual.  We have to each be responsible to avoid letting stereotypes based on race, ethnicity, religion, or whatever influence the way we think and talk about people we don't even know. 

I do think people apply the word "thug" to young black men a little too freely and I think that's because a stereotype exists about young black men.  We need to avoid letting ourselves slip into that stereotypical thinking and if we slip, it's our our fault and only our fault.  The fact that some black rapper may celebrate the thug life is no excuse for letting ourselves slip into the generalizations about what black people are like based on their race.  Those stereotypes are damaging to the black individuals who don't fit the stereotype and its wrong for us to perpetuate the stereotypes because they do damage others.  

Try to flag a cab at night while black . . . and you'll see how sterotypes are a constant nuisance to those who are affected by them.  That may be a minor inconvenience, but believe me if you're a young black man looking for a job the stereotypes create an obstacle that your white counterparts simply don't have to worry about. 

Thoug in general I completely agree and try to treat people on a person to person basis there are exceptions where the person intentionally looks and acts the part. Is it really stereotyping when they play into the stereotype? Ie, I wouldn't think thug seeing a young black man walking down the street in a hoodie however I would think one on a low rider bike and spinners with gold teeth and a chain who pretends to s h o ot me with his hand as if it were a side cocked hand gun. Yes this has happened to me included being called a redneck cracker as they spit in my face walking back to my apartment in college in Roxbury (my dad was pissed all the time and energy he spent to get me out of Roxbury as a kid and for the breif period I went back to Roxbury because that's what I could afford in college).

You say try getting a cab well try being hasseled try to walk how everyday and having things thrown at you, having guns waved at you, have gangs of kids staring you down everyday walking home. Trying to get a cab was my least concern when I was a kid and in college, though some cabs wouldn't take me to my place and would drop me off 4 blocks away. Heck I had cops stop me walking asking what I was doing in the neighborhood and search me thinking I was buying and selling drugs.

As for the job private companies you might be right but try getting a government job in MA as a white guy. It's harder then it looks, esp one of those coushy T jobs. Actually one of my college jobs at Best Buy I was called racist, lol. A black lady tried to return a broken PS3. The problem? The receipt part code didn't match the box one and both didn't match the PS3's code. So I couldn't take it back and she yelled at me calling me a racist cracker who would take it back if she was white. Even though she was told to leave the store they wrote up the incident had me attend "cultural sensitivity" classes because it was required by the company incase of lawsuit which wasn't required by the supervisor who was black who told her to leave. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

LMAO.   There is absolutely merit to the article.  Something that some folks, like Dick, will never get because of sheer ignorance.

There's a phrase that's commonly used down south, and it has nothing to do with racism per se, but rather the duplicitous nature of "common" phrases.

In the south, people commonly use the phrase "Bless your heart".  Those who do not live in the south will take it's literal meaning, but those who were raised in the south express the phrase - but for it's figurative meaning - "You are an idiot."

In addition, I question if many white people who were raised in an atmosphere where they are the majority race truly understand racism. This is not to say that white people don't experience racism, but rather, they probably don't experience racism a majority of their lifetime. Although, I certainly could see a white person experiencing quite a bit of racism, if for example, they were raised in a black neighborhood during his/her entire childhood. 

So, yeah - thug very well could be code for the N word.

To all the posters who are like, Dick, I say to you "Bless your heart"

J'ever live the the south? Whereabouts? You must be one of those white guilters.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I

I'm guessing most of that is Rusty. I have him on ignore so I pretty much see none of that and have trained myself to skip over any posts that are replying to him but for the most part you've made similar statements regarding white and lumping them in. For some of the statements though were the specifically referencing Sherman (ie in reference to not being called a thug) or where they a general if you don't want to be called a thug. If it's general I agree with that statement, don't do that and you won't be and if it was directly in reference to Sherman then yes I say that's a bad statement to make period

In fairness to Rusty, only the last of those was his.  All the others were from three or four other commenters.  

I'm not lumping all whites as racist by any means.  My conclusions are based on actual statements like those above, all of which I believe are influenced by racist stereotypes even if they are not all racist themselves.  

I do believe, however, that racial stereotyping of blacks is far more prevelant than whites generally think.  As whites, we often don't notice these stereotypes they are so deeply ingrained in the way we think.  Blacks notice them because they don't share the same stereotypes about themselves and because they are affected negatively by them.  When they protest, we react with surprise and outrage--blaming them of baselessly using the 'race card'.  The reality, though, is we're just blind to the stereotyping that is so blatantly obvious to the blacks affected by it.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I hate thugs.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

I know ill get s#it for this ,but here it goes I noticed over the years going though inner city nieghborhoods some alot of bad parts what do you see a s#it hole apartment building run down trash on the ground outside ut you see nice cars lined up out front .I rather have a nice place to live then a fansy esclade,hummer etc.

• This post has been removed.

In response to soxrockursox's comment:

I know ill get s#it for this ,but here it goes I noticed over the years going though inner city nieghborhoods some alot of bad parts what do you see a s#it hole apartment building run down trash on the ground outside ut you see nice cars lined up out front .I rather have a nice place to live then a fansy esclade,hummer etc.

If you look inside their television is probably twice the size of yours.

No job. No problem.

America the beautiful.

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I hate thugs.

literally or figuratively?  Folks, like Dick, are having difficulty grasping such things - so, you have to be explicit.

Both.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

When I was a kid Mafia guys were called "thugs".....

Yeah, and the Mafia wannabes.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

I

In fairness to Rusty, only the last of those was his.  All the others were from three or four other commenters.  

I'm not lumping all whites as racist by any means.  My conclusions are based on actual statements like those above, all of which I believe are influenced by racist stereotypes even if they are not all racist themselves.  

I do believe, however, that racial stereotyping of blacks is far more prevelant than whites generally think.  As whites, we often don't notice these stereotypes they are so deeply ingrained in the way we think.  Blacks notice them because they don't share the same stereotypes about themselves and because they are affected negatively by them.  When they protest, we react with surprise and outrage--blaming them of baselessly using the 'race card'.  The reality, though, is we're just blind to the stereotyping that is so blatantly obvious to the blacks affected by it.  

Pro.... why don't you sterotype the Keystone Pipeline?

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

I

Pro's been living in Canada too long, he's lost touch with what's going on in the USA.

Their are hard working educated blacks in this country who are succeeding, only to have another faction of their race throw all their achievements under the bus by always using the race card and crying that whitey is keeping them down. Not so, they are keeping themselves down and this is being fueled by the liberal agenda of governmet dependency.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

I

Pro's been living in Canada too long, he's lost touch with what's going on in the USA.

Their are hard working educated blacks in this country who are succeeding, only to have another faction of their race throw all their achievements under the bus by always using the race card and crying that whitey is keeping them down. Not so, they are keeping themselves down and this is being fueled by the liberal agenda of governmet dependency.

Here's a hint.  A hard working successful black person's achievements are no more affected by what Al Sharpton says or does than your achievements are. If you think they are, then you've got a problem with race.

Also, I've been back to the US three different times in the last two weeks. 

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

I

Here's a hint.  A hard working successful black person's achievements are no more affected by what Al Sharpton says or does than your achievements are. If you think they are, then you've got a problem with race.

Also, I've been back to the US three different times in the last two weeks. 

First i was not talking about my achivements or worried about a dumbasssss like Sharpton. I have no problem with race. But I have a problem with dumbassssses of any color who blame others and don't do enough to improve their quality fo life..

You think Colin Powell, says oh gee whiz Al I agree with all your race baiting and efforts to protray our race as incapable of succeding? NO

Guys like Sharpton and Jackson and others of their ilk are not doing any favors for their fellow black men and woman.

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts