Thug is now a code word

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Re: Thug is now a code word

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Richard Sherman is a thug, I wouldn't mind seeing this kind of thug on the Pats.

[/QUOTE]

Not hardly!!!!

[/QUOTE]

But I guess Talib is okay with his domestic battery.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It is.

How is graduating 2nd in your class in highschool, graduating from Stanford and making millions of dollars make you a "thug"? Does that mean John Elway is a thug?  Gimme a break people. If Sherman were white, it would be called passion, but since he's black he's called a thug.

No one contested that Hernandez is a thug; Hernandez is a thug. He's a criminal, but Sherman? Come on, guys! Anyone remember when Welker yelled "You f*cking suck!"at that Colt DB in 2007 after he caught the game clinching first down?

That was laughed off as Welker being Welker.

When Brady goes off on the sideline, people call it "passion" of a competitor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, it's a code word for thug. If you don't want to be called a thug don't beat women, traffic drugs, murder people, have 2000 different kids from 1000 different women, etc etc. 

I am so sick of the race card being used for everything. I could easily use one as well. I grew up very poor, received no scholarship money other than what I earned from my GPA, and lost a job opportunity out of college due to affirmative action. Why? Because I'm white. Racism is starting to fade ever so slightly, but when people say things like that it keeps it fresh in everyone's minds and creates more animosity.

[/QUOTE]

Okay, you're wrong. Jesus, that's not how AA works. If you didn't get a job it was because you didn't get a job. AA doesn't demand that all companies be forced to hire black people, it only encourages businesses to hire desenfranchised groups.

Only 4% of all Fourtune 500 campanies have African American CEOs. If Affirmative action was keeping Caucasians from getting jobs, that number wouldn't be so tiny.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh god.  He's a disgrace. I used to work with a cousin of his.  Even he is embarrassed by his cousin's antics.

The race baiting antics by Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, etc, are a disgrace. No one cares what the skin color is, it's a slang term for a crappy person who promotes violence to solve problems or issues that they may have.

Aaron Hernandez is a thug, for example, and he's not black.

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Well said.

It's not a skin color, it's a mentality. The black community needs to smarten up and stop looking for excuses, they just look stupid.

If I'm Sharpton or James I give I tell Richard Sherman this little peice of advice:

If you want people to say your the best corner in the game, let them say it, not you.

If you want people to recognize/respect the fact that you got all A's in high school, graduated from Stanford etc..then act like you did.

It's too bad, he's a heck of a football player, playing in the Super Bowl and people associate him with the behavior of a thug. Right or wrong, they do, and it's his own doing.

Perhaps if leaders in the black community would speak out more about the actions of their own instead of making excuses for those actions, they would serve their race better. Al Sharpton and Jesse James to me have zero credibilty.

[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to think you might be a racist...=/

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

I wonder what Martin Luther King Jr would say about how African-Americans carried his message to this day?  Seems they use the race card far more often today than "whites" did in the days of MLK.

I get that most of you guys are from an older generation, but you guys need to get back to College and take some Sociology of Race classes. You'll be surprised what you find out.

For example, are you aware that though African Americans and Caucasian Americans use drugs at a similar rate per percentage of their population, but African Americans are 10 times more likely to be stopped and searched than Caucasians. African Americans are more likely to be persecuted for crimes and face harsher sentences.

Trust me, it's interesting to see how our Criminal justice system is flawed and causes more problems than it fixes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No, it's a code word for thug. If you don't want to be called a thug don't beat women, traffic drugs, murder people, have 2000 different kids from 1000 different women, etc etc. 

I am so sick of the race card being used for everything. I could easily use one as well. I grew up very poor, received no scholarship money other than what I earned from my GPA, and lost a job opportunity out of college due to affirmative action. Why? Because I'm white. Racism is starting to fade ever so slightly, but when people say things like that it keeps it fresh in everyone's minds and creates more animosity.

Okay, you're wrong. Jesus, that's not how AA works. If you didn't get a job it was because you didn't get a job. AA doesn't demand that all companies be forced to hire black people, it only encourages businesses to hire desenfranchised groups.

Only 4% of all Fourtune 500 campanies have African American CEOs. If Affirmative action was keeping Caucasians from getting jobs, that number wouldn't be so tiny.

[/QUOTE]

Well, only 13% of the population is African American and only about 30% of 18 year old high school students plan on attending college.

So, 4% is not a low number.

The more egregious % is WOMEN CEOs, not just African-American CEOs. There are MORE women in society % wise, than African Americans.

And no, when Magical Hobo says he didn't get a job due to a quota based system on race, then he's probably telling you the truth.   If someone is clearly less qualified and getting a job over you, it's somewhat obvious what's going on.  

It is what it is.  

[/QUOTE]

I could care less how many African Americans are CEOs, doesn't effect me in the least. My point is that AA doesn't say that you have to have black employees or the government is shutting you down, it simply incentives private companies if they have a certain amount of black employees. You can work in an office with 0 minorities and nothing will happen to you.

If you didn't get a job, blame yourself. If an employer told you you didn't get a job because of Affirmative Action it was because he didn't want to give it to you and he was finding a scapegoat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Also, Caucasians benefit the most from AA.

People of East Asian and East Indian descent would dominate Ivy League schools if AA wasn't in place. Trust me, one of my girlfriends in college was an Asian girl who I met in a law class and she wrote a paper on the topic.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Sherman is a wimp to start that comparison about the N word. he likes to talk trash. he needs to become mature, and then maybe people won't classify him as a thug. he needs to aspire to the dream of MLK, instead of pissing on it with his childish tirades and rants and starting some kind of new race card.

I don't care what his educational credentials are. the dude wants to live on the edge and protray himslef as a ganster to help with his insecurities.

he has a serious case of the dumbassssss. and has no class, or grace

Go Seahawks

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sherman is a wimp to start that comparison about the N word. he likes to talk trash. he needs to become mature, and then maybe people won't classify him as a thug. he needs to aspire to the dream of MLK, instead of pissing on it with his childish tirades and rants and starting some kind of new race card.

I don't care what his educational credentials are. the dude wants to live on the edge and protray himslef as a ganster to help with his insecurities.

Go Seahawks

[/QUOTE]

Wait, Sherman did it or Stephen A. Smith did it?

[/QUOTE]

The answer is both... But  Sherman did first in his next day post event interview... He felt that thug was becoming the new "N" word basically.

I always thought it was a mentality regardless of race... I guess it is in the eye of the beholder but racism is alive and well.  It goes both ways and I think things like AA in today's world perpetuates it.

Working in EMS/ FIRE.... There is both a good old boys club and AA hirings.  So often the average guy going for these jobs don't stand a chance.   I work in it and behind close doors it will be said the next hire is a going to be a woman or a minorty... reguardless of who is the top of the merit list so they don't get in trouble. Then after that hire the next guy on the merit list is someone's brother out of thousands of apps??? What a world we live in.  I only got hired in my current postion because of years of experance and my military veteran status, I work on fereral properity besides covering the local commuinty so I topped of the merit list by points.  I'm sure I beat out some guys that may have been more qualified becuase of being a vet.  Someone is always going to lose out in some way on there is some type of preferance placed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Go Seahawks

[/QUOTE]

By that logic, this man is a thug because he was notorious for running his mouth. In fact, that's part of the reason why he's one of my favorite basketball players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well, only 13% of the population is African American and only about 30% of 18 year old high school students plan on attending college.

So, 4% is not a low number.

The more egregious % is WOMEN CEOs, not just African-American CEOs. There are MORE women in society % wise, than African Americans.

And no, when Magical Hobo says he didn't get a job due to a quota based system on race, then he's probably telling you the truth.   If someone is clearly less qualified and getting a job over you, it's somewhat obvious what's going on.  

It is what it is.  

[/QUOTE]

I could care less how many African Americans are CEOs, doesn't effect me in the least. My point is that AA action doesn't say that you have to have black employees or the government is shutting you down, it simply incentives private companies if they have a certain amount of black employees. You can work in an office with 0 minorities and nothing will happen to you.

If you didn't get a job, blame yourself. If an employer told you you didn't get a job because of Affirmative Action it was because he didn't want to give it to you and he was finding a scapegoat.

[/QUOTE]

Umm, that's not true at all.  

I've been ASKED to interview by my employer for a different job before, as competition for someone who was FAR LESS qualified and had FAR LESS experience. Now, they didn't tell me that, but I realized that afterwards because the person who got it barely just started working where I had been for about 4 years and had a very limited related background/experience. This was about 7 years ago.

That's a fact.  

This has happened to numerous people I know as well, where your nothing more than a formality in the process. It's no different than them posting a job to make it official when they already know who they are giving it to.  To not admit this happens is insane.

You sound like a kid, so maybe you have very little experiene in these matters.

It has nothing to do with me or my would be boss looking for a scapegoat either.  These Fortune 500 or 50 companies are PARANOID of race based lawsuits and lawyers running numbers to make a case, sue, and win.    That's truly what it is about and I have no issue with AA being something that companies are cognizant of, I just don't think there are any successful companies who are led by racists. At one time, I am sure that was prevalent. 

But, you can't compete in a global market if you're passing off good minority talent for inferior white, male talent. You'll be out of business. It's that simple. Your competitors will get that talent.

So, when you say things like "incentivize", that really means "make sure you avoid any lawsuits and make sure you have a diverse personnel base". That's what it means.

The concern with that is, if you live in a rural area, the opportunity to hire more minorities might not be there, so you're more likely to hire someone who is less qualified, but to cover the diversity program the corportation demands.

Smaller companies, even mid sized ones aren't as in tune with this, quite simply because they aren't large enough to be sued or be targeted.

Trust me. I've worked for Fortune 50s, 500s and start ups.  I also know a few people who are recruiters and HR peeps and know the score with this pretty well.

This certainly doesn't mean this happens a lot, but to deny that is silly.

How old are you anyway?

[/QUOTE]

Here's some litigation advice for you, you could've sued their @$$e$ to Kingdom Come. What you just described was a clear cut case of racial discrimination and it would not hold in any court.

As far as Asian in higher education, you'll have to do your own research. But Asian Americans are deemed overachievers and have to face the similar quota systems as African Americans. Only difference is that the latter doesn't apply to Ivy Leagues as much and have their standards lowered while Asian Americans apply and are superior students than Caucaisans so they're elevated to the top.

An Asian with a 1600 is, essentially, a Caucasian with a 1460 SAT score. They're(Asians) also 65% less likely to get accepted while having similar credintials as Caucasians 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:

[QUOTE]

I wonder what Martin Luther King Jr would say about how African-Americans carried his message to this day?  Seems they use the race card far more often today than "whites" did in the days of MLK.

[/QUOTE]

I get that most of you guys are from an older generation, but you guys need to get back to College and take some Sociology of Race classes. You'll be surprised what you find out.

For example, are you aware that though African Americans and Caucasian Americans use drugs at a similar rate per percentage of their population, but African Americans are 10 times more likely to be stopped and searched than Caucasians. African Americans are more likely to be persecuted for crimes and face harsher sentences.

Trust me, it's interesting to see how our Criminal justice system is flawed and causes more problems than it fixes.

[/QUOTE]

It's called profiling because the odds are higher in the black community than the white community.  That's why they're stopped and searched more. Throw in the private prison and mandartory min racket in this country, and there you go.

The rate is not the same at all.  The black population in this country is not as large as you think.    Blacks are usually more poor so they tend to be more easily susceptible to selling and/or using drugs.  It's socio-economic more than anything. 

Again, white people make up about 70% of the country. Hispanics are second, ahead of blacks as a minority group.  

Are you in your 20s?  What do you do for a living?

I am not much older than you and read those same Sociology based courses you did.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the lesson in demographics, Rus. I'm a Poli-Sci major, I didn't need you to tell me about America's make up, but I appreciate it  anyway. My point was that Bill claimed that African Americans play the race card as if instituional racism does not exist when it's obvious that it does.

I'm 23 and now reside in beautiful Culver City, CA. Now you're going to tell me that I'm not wise on the world because I'm a millenia, aren't you?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no code language for anything. Liberal media bull. People say what they think 

[/QUOTE]

Why do you have a picture of Oprah for your avatar?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The word "thug" is sometimes employed to describe blacks in a way that has racist overtones, but it also is often used in a way that does not have racist overtones.  As with all words, context matters. 

I don't agree. That is the perception via a black person's point of view. That's not the same thing as context.  The word is more about projecting violent acts and doing harm to others.

Just because someone HAPPENs to be black who is doing those things, doesn't mean there is a racial overtone.

As someone said above, Whitey Bulger is a thug.  He's not black.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that's the point.  Bulger really is a thug.  Sherman is an a s s, but not a thug. Calling him a thug, I think, draws on stereotypes about black men being thugs.

[/QUOTE]

That is correct. That is an assumption made by those who see an unprofessional, immature, selfish buffoon on tv on Sundays, but whose fault is that?

If you turned on your tv and saw some guy who wouldn't s hut up, drew negative attention to his team and self, behaving in that way, wouldn't you think the person was behaving like a punk, White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, etc?

Of course you would. And, the fact is, he is a punk.  He's going to get what is coming to him one of these days, whether a swift punch in the mouth knocking him unconscious or maybe something worse.

Seriously, who runs around in life like that? It's one thing to be confident in what you do, some trash talk here and there, but come on.

All I am saying is, regardless of word choice, it's not because he is black. It's because he's acting like a punk or a thug.

Who cares what the more popular current word is, too? LIke I said above, back in the 1980s or 1990s, "punk" was a popular word because it came off of the punk music movement where punk rockers had attitudes and didn't care.

But to say, it replaces the N word for white people??? Please. Stephen A Smith is a race baiting turd and always  has been.

[/QUOTE]

I'm okay with punk.  I think, though, thug gets employed a bit freely to blacks, which suggests to me some racial stereotyping.  I'm not terribly alarmed by the use of the thug word, but I think there's a grain of truth in what Smith said.

[/QUOTE]

Wow.

So, anytime someone uses the word thug it's now like using the N word?

[/QUOTE]

No, not at all.  But as I said, I do think there's a tendency to stereotype black men as thugs and the word is therefore maybe used more liberally when refering to blacks than it would be when refering to whites. 

If you think that racial stereotypes don't still exist, you're kidding yourself. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sherman made a great point, why aren't Hockey "goons" called thugs when they engage in thuggery on a game to game basis?

Could you imagine what the NFL or NBA would face of their players, in the middle of the game, just started fighting? The NBA had to change the rules because the players were being too physical, but fights in Hockey is a-okay.

The difference between the NBA and the NHL is only that 70% of one league is black, 90% is white.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh god.  He's a disgrace. I used to work with a cousin of his.  Even he is embarrassed by his cousin's antics.

The race baiting antics by Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, etc, are a disgrace. No one cares what the skin color is, it's a slang term for a crappy person who promotes violence to solve problems or issues that they may have.

Aaron Hernandez is a thug, for example, and he's not black.

[/QUOTE]

How completely pathetic it is when you try to use Stephen A Smith's cousin in an effort to name drop.  What a loser.  

Hey, did I ever tell you about the time that I used to hang out with BB's son's friend's girlfriend's mom's neighbor from before she was married's friend?  She told me that he definately wanted TB to pass as often as possible because the D and running game blew.

Sections
Shortcuts