THURSDAY night affect/ strategy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

THURSDAY night affect/ strategy

Playing the jets after 3 days preparation presents challenges.  As we have seen this year, many teams have stunk bad in their Thursday appearance leading to crappy football games.  Thanx goodell

Now it's patriots turn to show what they can do in this situation.  What should they do if anything to adjust?

It's the jets so no mystery there.   defense has an advantage as offensive timing seems to suffer in these games , so pressure packages must continue.

Go with who's hot an who's young.  Edelman should be a focus of the offense moreso than Welker.  Don't push Wes too hard in this one.  End arounds galore...

Young legs:  --  Wilson over Gregory.  This is a no brainer made even more obvious after tavon got his 4 th pick last week.

-- ebner on Keller.  He shadowed him in game 1 and did great , perfect opportunity to expand on that role...

-- unleash Hightower on Sanchez early in the game .

-- use dennard on corner/ zone blitz .

-- SUB-OUT YOUR starters from special teams , like mcc . use backups wherever possible.

also:

Did you hear Phil simms gushing all over pats defense ?  Seems to be repeating some of the thoughts articulated on this board...  How the athleticism and size of pats front 7 can dominate when they stay aggressive.  Hmmm... Sounds familiar.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: THURSDAY night affect/ strategy

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Playing the jets after 3 days preparation presents challenges.  As we have seen this year, many teams have stunk bad in their Thursday appearance leading to crappy football games.  Thanx goodell

Now it's patriots turn to show what they can do in this situation.  What should they do if anything to adjust?

It's the jets so no mystery there.   defense has an advantage as offensive timing seems to suffer in these games , so pressure packages must continue.

Go with who's hot an who's young.  Edelman should be a focus of the offense moreso than Welker.  Don't push Wes too hard in this one.  End arounds galore...

Young legs:  --  Wilson over Gregory.  This is a no brainer made even more obvious after tavon got his 4 th pick last week.

-- ebner on Keller.  He shadowed him in game 1 and did great , perfect opportunity to expand on that role...

-- SUB-OUT YOUR starters from special teams , like mcc . use backups wherever possible.

also:

Did you hear Phil simms gushing all over pats defense ?  Seems to be repeating some of the thoughts articulated on this board...  How the athleticism and size of pats front 7 can dominate when they stay aggressive.  Hmmm... Sounds familiar.

[/QUOTE]

no one is disagreeing with this premise against QB's such as Luck (at least for now), Sanchez, Locker, Fitz and Bradford.....the concern is when facing a QB like Rothlsberger, Manning, Rodgers, Smith, Flacco and some others that can deliver the ball quickly and can side step pressure. If the Past bring 5 or 6 on these QB's, the exposed back 5 or 6 will be hung out to dry.

Poor angles, poor tackling, and confusion with assigments, all which we have seen from the Dbacks this year, make sending 5 or 6 even more hazardous

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

also:

[/QUOTE]

no one is disagreeing with this premise against QB's such as Luck (at least for now), Sanchez, Locker, Fitz and Bradford.....the concern is when facing a QB like Rothlsberger, Manning, Rodgers, Smith, Flacco and some others that can deliver the ball quickly and can side step pressure. If the Past bring 5 or 6 on these QB's, the exposed back 5 or 6 will be hung out to dry.

Poor angles, poor tackling, and confusion with assigments, all which we have seen from the Dbacks this year, make sending 5 or 6 even more hazardous

[/QUOTE]

Interesting break down.  the key being reaction time.  Good QBs like the guys you mention can handle the hot reads better.  Doesn't mean pressure won't work.  It changes what the offense  does... It can dictate if you have the personnel to do it.  The irony is that it's almost OK if you give up a play or 2 since the straight vanilla was giving up plenty...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I'm gonna be to the point...  Run up the SCORE!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Playing the jets after 3 days preparation presents challenges. 

[/QUOTE]

Aren't the Jets facing the same problem?  I guess it all boils down to who is the better team under these circumstances.  Should be the Patriots by a blow out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

also:

[/QUOTE]

Totally Agree. Good Points!   Should be fun. Wish we played earlier though. I gotta work Friday and thats gonna be a challenge after eating all that food, drinks, smoke!  Whew!  I'll be sleepwalking the next day! Should be a good lineup of games though.

Enjoy your Turkey Day Coolade!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The Patriots know the Jets pretty well (and vice versa), so, preparation shouldn't be as big a deal.

That being said, it's a matter of execution. It's an away game.  Would be nice to have another blowout, but division games are normally pretty tight. With Gronk not available, I'm wondering if Hernandez will be rushed back.  The offense will obviously be affected badly if BOTH remain out.

In that case, the Patriots may have to control the clock more, reduce the number of possessions by running the ball more - but will have to score points on every possession.

Defensively, I'd like to see the Patriots be more aggressive in general - just to get the D off the field and build on last week's performance. Get to Sanchez more, disrupt his timing, chuck the receivers on the line; again, to disrupt timing.

Minimize running opportunities when Tebow is playing wildcat.  Be ready for trick plays. Defense can't make Sanchez look like a HOF QB again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I also would like to see # 81 back but with Gronk out, I dont think we can afford a setback from him and a Jets road game would be the spot for him to come back and have Landry take out his knee or something. I would sit him one more week and let Fells and Shank get in there for experience down the road.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Another question is whether to hold back talib...  2 games in 5 days after being out a month plus?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Patriots know the Jets pretty well (and vice versa), so, preparation shouldn't be as big a deal.

That being said, it's a matter of execution. It's an away game.  Would be nice to have another blowout, but division games are normally pretty tight. With Gronk not available, I'm wondering if Hernandez will be rushed back.  The offense will obviously be affected badly if BOTH remain out.

In that case, the Patriots may have to control the clock more, reduce the number of possessions by running the ball more - but will have to score points on every possession.

Defensively, I'd like to see the Patriots be more aggressive in general - just to get the D off the field and build on last week's performance. Get to Sanchez more, disrupt his timing, chuck the receivers on the line; again, to disrupt timing.

Minimize running opportunities when Tebow is playing wildcat.  Be ready for trick plays. Defense can't make Sanchez look like a HOF QB again.

[/QUOTE]

High scoring O's do not want to limit possessions, They want MORE not less.  Of course that would have to mean the D is getting off the field.  Score on every possession?    Really?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Totally Agree. Good Points!   Should be fun. Wish we played earlier though. I gotta work Friday and thats gonna be a challenge after eating all that food, drinks, smoke!  Whew!  I'll be sleepwalking the next day! Should be a good lineup of games though.

[/QUOTE]

You too, bro...  Don't eat too much and sleep through the game...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Indy ran 75 plays and we blitzed 17 times, but probably all the blitzing came before the game got out of reach. Pats ran only 60 plays in that game. Indy ran for 119 yards, most of them came in first half. I think only 39 in 2nd half.

People who have been watching the Jets know you have to blitz Sanchez, you have to force the issue with him. He makes bad mistakes. First game we let him sit back there, Patricia better figure this out. When I say bad mistakes, he'll literally throw int's without the Defenders having to do too much. He is notorious at fumbling too. More pressure the better.

I like Hightower getting unleashed too, I still think we are not using him properly.

Pats stop the running game, Jets will be in trouble.

[/QUOTE] 

Yeah...  Agree with your take on el sancho...  He likes to throw while falling down with a guy hanging on him... As in turnover machine under pressure.  Coming up with a few different ways to go after him could pay off...  Hightower looks like the guy to do it.  Also liked the zone blitzing they showed against rams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right...  When sanchee gets all comfortable back there he can hit his receivers more accurately which he showed last game.  He actually has been more good than bad overall against NE.  this is why the pats cannot just float out a vanilla softy game plan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

42 - 6 Patriots

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Would be great to see a guy like Salas have a break out game.  Having only 3 days rest for both teams makes it an opportunity for a fresh player on your bench to step up and make some plays...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

also:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope you're not a press operator!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Any word on Jones status?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like he's a no-go. Hasn't practiced all week.

Hopefully he will be able to return soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to vertigho's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like he's a no-go. Hasn't practiced all week.

Hopefully he will be able to return soon.

[/QUOTE]

Bummer

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]

Indy ran 75 plays and we blitzed 17 times, but probably all the blitzing came before the game got out of reach. Pats ran only 60 plays in that game. Indy ran for 119 yards, most of them came in first half. I think only 39 in 2nd half.

People who have been watching the Jets know you have to blitz Sanchez, you have to force the issue with him. He makes bad mistakes. First game we let him sit back there, Patricia better figure this out. When I say bad mistakes, he'll literally throw int's without the Defenders having to do too much. He is notorious at fumbling too. More pressure the better.

I like Hightower getting unleashed too, I still think we are not using him properly.

Pats stop the running game, Jets will be in trouble.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, Sanchez bad as he is, is even worse in facing a blitz.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

My only concern is how will the offense fare without Gronk. He's one of the top 5 offensive players in the league and impacts every play, even when he's not involved in it. The offense was improving and near unstoppable before he was injured. If they can keep it going we should see a rout.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My only concern is how will the offense fare without Gronk. He's one of the top 5 offensive players in the league and impacts every play, even when he's not involved in it. The offense was improving and near unstoppable before he was injured. If they can keep it going we should see a rout.

[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with your post about gronk...  At first I thought , we'll just plug in guys (5 Te have seen action this year)...  But gronk is just ridiculous as a receiver because of his wingspan.  He just turns sideways and leans forward and his hands are separated 3 yards from defender on his back.  Brady can hit that window every time. 

That said...  Sometimes the replacement guy takes the chance to surprise people.  Spread the ball around with a lot of vereen mixed in and I think the offense will be just fine...

On defense, just build on what has worked up front and go with younger fresher guys in the secondary as stated in the O.P.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

I think Danny Boy is going to have a Big Impact in this game. First thing I worry about in away games is ball security. Nothing fires a Crowd and another team up more, than turnovers.

[/QUOTE]
    yeah man...  Woody has been a steady rock of production.  he seems to have put on some pounds this year turning him into a small tank ... Would be Great to see him torch the jets, since they let him go.  thank you very much...

Sections
Shortcuts