Tim Wright

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Tim Wright

I know that it was just one meaningless game in the pre-season, but I think Tim Wright's performance was pretty noteworthy, given that he only had a few days to prepare and didn't seem to miss a beat.

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.comRecommend18
    Tweet16
    Comments10
    Email
    Print
    EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- This was the first thing New England Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo said when asked about new tight end Tim Wright: "He's a very intelligent player. He picks it up very quickly."

That much was clear in the Patriots' 16-13 loss to the Giants in the preseason finale for both teams Thursday night.

Wright finished with four catches for 43 yards, but it was his 43 snaps played (out of 70) that registered as even more impressive. Even in a preseason game in which there is no game-planning, a player still has to know what to do, and Wright -- acquired from Tampa Bay on Tuesday along with a fourth-round draft pick in exchange for offensive lineman Logan Mankins -- aced that test.

"Football is football, so it's easy to get prepared," Wright said in a brief interview after the game. "We have great coaches to get me prepared."

Bill Belichick also cited the work of offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and tight ends coach Brian Daboll in getting the 6-foot-4 Wright up to speed so quickly. Meanwhile, Garoppolo also noted how Wright is "pretty athletic too", which was seen with how he was used in motion as the primary option on a rollout pass for a 9-yard completion early in the second quarter.

Wright's long completion, of 16 yards, came midway through the third quarter when he caught a quick pass to the left side and raced up the sideline.

This marks the third offensive system Wright is learning in two years -- two in Tampa Bay, one in New England -- but if Thursday night is a preview, he's off to a promising start.

"It's a great opportunity. It's a great organization led by great coaches," he said. "It's still early. I have a lot to learn, and I'm just ready to go."

As for the trade, Wright said, "I know the business. Things happen and you have to stay ready -- stay on your toes. And that's what I did."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Tim Wright

I thought he looked pretty good catching the ball...looked like he had decent speed....long arms and good hands. Chattam mentioned that by looking at him, he kind of just looked like a big receiver, which makes me wonder how he'll play tight end, but he did say there aren't too many guys in the NFL that tall and quick.

I think he's going to help us, aqt the very least he could be a over the middle fill in option if Amendola goes down. Brady has some bigger players to throw the ball to now...Lafell, Dobson, Wright...I think that's a good thing. And he still has a couple of smaller/quicker guys too.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I have to think one of the reasons BB made this trade so late in the season was because this kid had played in our system in the past so all he needed to learn was the new terminology.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have to think one of the reasons BB made this trade so late in the season was because this kid had played in our system in the past so all he needed to learn was the new terminology.

[/QUOTE]

Rkarp said he heard he was a throw in, in the deal. I guess we were looking for a two and couldn't come to an agreement, so they threw in Wright with the 4. I personally don't agree with that, but he could be right. I thought Wright looked pretty good last night and you could see some of his talent, weather that translates to regular season production in our fickle offense remains to be seen, but I thought he looked good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

He will see the field only if he reads the defense the same as TB. If he does, he is in the spots TB wants him to be, and he sees targets. If not, he is released

I agree, he looks the part. Wonder why he was undrafted, and on the outs with TB, who in spite of Wrights fine season last year, used a high draft choice on a Te

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He hasn't been with the team before, has he? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rkarp said he heard he was a throw in, in the deal. I guess we were looking for a two and couldn't come to an agreement, so they threw in Wright with the 4. I personally don't agree with that, but he could be right. I thought Wright looked pretty good last night and you could see some of his talent, weather that translates to regular season production in our fickle offense remains to be seen, but I thought he looked good.

[/QUOTE]

Assuming all Brady's other options stay healthy if Wright catches 40+ balls you would have to say the trade that netted a 4, needed cap space and a move TE/WR was fairly successful.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rutgers and Shiano use a similar system.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He will see the field only if he reads the defense the same as TB. If he does, he is in the spots TB wants him to be, and he sees targets. If not, he is released

I agree, he looks the part. Wonder why he was undrafted, and on the outs with TB, who in spite of Wrights fine season last year, used a high draft choice on a Te

[/QUOTE]

Just guessing, but he may have been overlokked because he's a tweener -- receiver converting to te and maybe not a stand out at either "pure" position.  plus he's not from a top football factory

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People mock bb constantly, including many regulars here.  I don't care where you go to college, but bb has a direct line into rutgers and these relationships appear to work, yet bb is mocked for it.

Down in tb, lovie smith remains a clueless moron.

[/QUOTE]

just asking. I will obviously agree with McCourty. IMO it remains to be seen with Harmon and Ryan. There have been more than 10 Rutgers guys thru here since Schianno left Rutgers. Who else would you point to as such a success?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]

People mock bb constantly, including many regulars here.  I don't care where you go to college, but bb has a direct line into rutgers and these relationships appear to work, yet bb is mocked for it.

[/QUOTE]
    You just couldn't end that post without a disparaging remark could you? The deity of dorkism.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

just asking. I will obviously agree with McCourty. IMO it remains to be seen with Harmon and Ryan. There have been more than 10 Rutgers guys thru here since Schianno left Rutgers. Who else would you point to as such a success?

[/QUOTE]

I am on ignore or not?

[/QUOTE]

I told you last week, I took you off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rutgers and Shiano use a similar system.

[/QUOTE]

Got it.  Thanks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

I thought he looked pretty good catching the ball...looked like he had decent speed....long arms and good hands. Chattam mentioned that by looking at him, he kind of just looked like a big receiver, which makes me wonder how he'll play tight end, but he did say there aren't too many guys in the NFL that tall and quick.

I think he's going to help us, aqt the very least he could be a over the middle fill in option if Amendola goes down. Brady has some bigger players to throw the ball to now...Lafell, Dobson, Wright...I think that's a good thing. And he still has a couple of smaller/quicker guys too.  

[/QUOTE]

Think of him less as a guy to replace DA and more as a Hern type. He would draw different players in coverage. If he can be taught to block (reports say he is not so good there) he could be much more impactful in creating mismatches in both the run and pass game. Especially if we catch a personnel package that lets us go no huddle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am on ignore or not?

[/QUOTE]

you should be on permanent ban

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have to think you are right - that Wright was not just a throw in. It might have been a higher pick or a 4th and Wright but I dont think he was a throw in. As a rookie the guy caught 54 passes. That is not shabby. In facts its really good for a rookie. Very few reach that level as a rookie. And making it more impressive was he was playing move TE not WR. ANd learning a second offense at TB and now a 3rd at the Pats. Impressive.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

his combination of size/quickness/hands/smarts certainly brings something different to the table for this offense - McDaniels will find a way to utilize his strengths

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

its funny. when the Pats have players on the roster, everyone says that the Pats have the best knowledge about them. better knowledge than other teams. which I agree with. but why doesn't that work with other teams?

the Bucs had Wright all of last year, and he had a nice season, especially for an undrafted rookie. Yet the Bucs felt the need to sign Myers in free agency, and use a #2 on ASJ. they also have a rookie from Harvard they like (Brate) and also have young vet Stocker in camp.

The word was Wright was a long shot to make that team (and was in Lovies dog house)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Zero % chance he is released imo of course and zero % chance he was a throw in...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am on ignore or not?

[/QUOTE]

I told you last week, I took you off.

[/QUOTE]

Tell the board why it is you need a button to ignore someone as a 50 something adult and why you would then take that person off of ignore after a week?

Are you that jealous.of my analysis on topics that you cannot wait to read what i write?

[/QUOTE]

I need a button to ignore you because you are a dewsch. It was getting tedious embarrassing you on every conversation. I found your postings erroneous, full of lies, and quite frankly it was very evident you were not watching the games, nor understood what the Pats are trying to do with this team.

From what I can see, you have the same issue with every poster on this board other than Do not sleep, who most here think he is actually you

Now that your question is answered, how about answering mine? there have been 10-13 players from Rutgers thru here the past 3 years. other than McCourty, who has been so outstanding? I will agree that Ryan has shown real promise, but also disagree with many here, I think Harmon is not playing well, was drafted too high, and is on the bubble

Sections
Shortcuts