Time for the Pats To Get It Done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]Tex,

We don't need an "impact player" or "stud" or "prima donna" etc. The Cowboys need such players. This team just needs football players.[/Quote]

Oh...we don't need a guy like Rey Maualuga??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Last time I check we had a guy named J.Mayo playing for us so no we dont also need Ray Maualuga, i get your point though i just dont think we need another ILB.

And Mighty was right we dont need super stars we just need some solid veteran footballers who can play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

the problem is no one wants into the top 10 anymore, its too much money. We wouldnt be able to trade away the Lions pick to another club cause no one would want to move up to number 1 so we would be stuck with the 1st overall pick and then we have to pay some kid 1st overall money so i dont see us trading Cassel for a top 10 pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

This whole attitude of "If we only had X superstar ..." is wrong. In 2007 we had Moss, Welker, Stalworth, AD, Asante Samuel, Junior Seau, Tom Brady. Lawrence Maroney and Rodney Harrison were playing at their best. And we still lost. We're probably not going to see that collection of talent again.

Look at all the superstars on the Steelers D and they still couldn't hang on in the 4th Quarter - Roethlisberger had to bail them out and not leave any time left.

There's nothing any team can do in the offseason to guarantee a Super Bowl win. That's out of everyone's hands except the players on the field at that moment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

in 2001 we had a invusion of new talent brought into the team but they were all low key under the radar veteran signings and those guys all came in and contrbuted to the team winning a championship and thats what i would like to get back to. I would like to sign some under teh radar type guys who just want to win a championship i can care less about signing the Terrel Suggs of the world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

MVPkilla,

We cannot think about unloading Cassel until we are sure Brady is healthy. Cassel proved he is more than capable of playing in the NFL and if we had a running game earlier in the season we would have made the playoffs with him at QB. I do agree if Brady is healthy then we trade Cassel for a ton of draft pics and save money for other Pat's players.

BuzzCal

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]Last time I check we had a guy named J.Mayo playing for us so no we dont also need Ray Maualuga, i get your point though i just dont think we need another ILB.

And Mighty was right we dont need super stars we just need some solid veteran footballers who can play.[/Quote]

Do you feel comfortable with Gary Guyton starting at ILB with Mayo? Furthermore, can you name a player on the Pats' defense...assuming that Rodney retires, who is feared by the opposition? The Pats need a head-hunting SS, or a Lewis-like beast in the middle. Maualuga seems to fit the bill.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I just dont think we need to change the way we do things just because Brady is hurt. The Pats would never pay two men to do the same job at any other spot on the roster and i dont think they should do it here. Cassel is worth at least a 1st rounder right now and rather then handcuff ourselves with the cap by paying both Brady and Cassel 14 mill this season I say we trade Cassel get what we can get, free up some cap room and try and make a few signings on top of extended Wilfork and mankins and Seymore. We can spread teh wealth rather then change the way we do things for Cassel. If Brady cant go on day one then throw O Connel in there, hell we used a 3rd round pick on the kid so make him the #2 QB and trade Cassel, sure it might blow up in our face if Brady cant go but we could really fix the D this offseason if we had the cap room to do so.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

am I ok with Guyton at ILB? Yes I am, he did a fine job this year and will only get better plus we still have Bruschi to split time with him so yes i am 100% ok qwith who we have at ILB right now. I do agree that we need a head hunter on D but i dont think its as easy to replace a guy like Rodney. You act as if we can just go out and get another guy like that and strike fear into other players the way he did but thats not how it works. We got lucky when we signed Rodney and to be honest i cant even name another player like Rodney who is inthe NFL right now. Ed Reed is not feared by WR's he is feared by QBs who thorw picks to him and the same goes for Troy long hair on the steelers yea they are play makers but i dont think people fear them. Maybe a Brian Dawkins? but im not even sure people really "fear" him either. Find a guy who fits that bill is not an easy task.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]I just dont think we need to change the way we do things just because Brady is hurt. The Pats would never pay two men to do the same job at any other spot on the roster and i dont think they should do it here. Cassel is worth at least a 1st rounder right now and rather then handcuff ourselves with the cap by paying both Brady and Cassel 14 mill this season I say we trade Cassel get what we can get, free up some cap room and try and make a few signings on top of extended Wilfork and mankins and Seymore. We can spread teh wealth rather then change the way we do things for Cassel. If Brady cant go on day one then throw O Connel in there, hell we used a 3rd round pick on the kid so make him the #2 QB and trade Cassel, sure it might blow up in our face if Brady cant go but we could really fix the D this offseason if we had the cap room to do so.[/Quote]

O'Connell is an unproven commodity, and is likely not ready for prime time. It took Cassel a few years of clip board holding, plus about 9 regular seasoon starts, before he was able to get the job done. I doubt that BB will trade Matt unless he knows that Tom will be ready to go.

But, you're right about the defense. Fixing it is job one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am reading this book right now called The Blue Print "How the NE Patriots beat the system to createthe last great NFL superpower" and im reading all about the "Patriot way" and signing Cassel to the tag for 14.6 million dollars goes against everything Bill Belichick is about and i just dont like that. we like you spread the wealth and build a team thats how we do things but signing Cassel to the tag handcuffs for the entire offseason and i just dont like it i would rather see us struggle with a young QB like O Connel then change the way we do things for one player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I seriously believe that BB does not trade Cassel for a top five pick unless a trade down is already in place. It's not necessarily about what Cassel is worth as much as it is how does a certain move (Cassel trade) affect the cap. I am one those guys that wants to see Seymour, Wilfork and Mankins extended or resigned. More difficult to do if you're paying some rookie 10m/per.

BTW. Meant Stafford not Bradford, my mistake and yes Cassel is a more valuable asset than any QB available in the 09 draft. Sanchez has started 14 games at the college level and Cassel has won 11 games at the NFL level; it's not even a fair comparison.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

texas-in our SB days.the pats were totally focused on defense,and the defensive players.they were very active in bringing in key players.the last couple of years the pats were focused on the offense.sure we brought in some defensive guys,but no key guys.thomas was our only key guy we brought in a couple years ago,but thats it.after that they brought in the websters,and bryants,and o-neils,and the tanks,and hobson,s.nothing wrong with bargain shopping.but you just cant wait until the store is sold-out of its goods.there are good bargain guys out there.we just cant wait on the buy one get two free guys.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]texas-in our SB days.the pats were totally focused on defense,and the defensive players.they were very active in bringing in key players.the last couple of years the pats were focused on the offense.sure we brought in some defensive guys,but no key guys.thomas was our only key guy we brought in a couple years ago,but thats it.after that they brought in the websters,and bryants,and o-neils,and the tanks,and hobson,s.nothing wrong with bargain shopping.but you just cant wait until the store is sold-out of its goods.there are good bargain guys out there.we just cant wait on the buy one get two free guys.[/Quote]

Moss:

In the Pats' championship days, their key defensive players were Richard Seymour, Willie McGinest, and Ty Law. All three of these guys were #1 draft choices. Sir Richard and Big Willie were top 5 type picks. Seymour was the 6th overall player selected in 2001, and Willie 4th overall selection in 1994.

The Pats built their defense around these three guys...and got lucky in free agency, getting Rodney Harrison, Vrabel, and Colvin. Asante Samuel was a 4th round draft pick, Tedy Bruschi a 3rd rounder, and Ted Johnson was a second round pick.

Now that their core defensive players are older, the Pats need to replace these guys. In other words, its time to draft another Willie or Seymour. Unless you're very lucky, or a draft is top heavy in QBs, you rarely find guys like that outside of the top 10-12 picks.

So, to make a long story short, a second round pick here and a B-type free agent there is not going to turn the Pats' defense around. Jarod Mayo was a good start. But, another top flight guy is needed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

'd know Seymour is 29, not 31, genius.[/Quote]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

The Pats need to draft a couple of agressive Pass Rushing DE 's in the first 2 rounds. Seymour is not getting it done.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

That's right Tex, we were all about the superstars back in the day. It was all Willie, Law and Seymour in those three Super Bowls. Couldn't have won any without any one of them. What we need is some more super stars. But in order to get that, I think we need to get rid of Bob Kraft and bring in Jerry Jones as our owner, what do you say?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

No one can really know how good Cassel is going to be outside of NE. Other players have left NE only to become servicable - not special.

It begs the question is pats success due to its players or its system?

Besides, no team is going to have a great QB without a good offensive line. At this time only Rothlesberger has been shown to have the size strength and moxie to get something done when his line frequently breaks down. Is that Cassel?

Pats are in a tough spot. A good one but tough. I say they franchise him and are done with it. There is no knowing Brady's GAME condition until a game is played, and in order to get something for Cassel the pats would need to get something done early.

If that happens, then the pats have their eyes on an effective veteran back up - bet on it. If not, they will keep Cassel, franchise him if they must, and move on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[Quote] How about you stop drinking that Texas Tea that TexasPat3 drinks and wake the hell up. There is no frickin way any team would even consider giving up 4 draft picks for a QB that has zero playoff experience and has only proven he can beat bad teams. The only good teams you beat in 2008 were teams you split with or that had clinched what they could clinch for the playoffs so their game with you was meaningless. What exactly has Cassell done that would make a team trade their picks for him when they can simply pick someone from the draft that has just as good of a chance to succeed as Cassell. The weak schedule you had in 2008 is most of the reason that Cassell looked good. He is an average QB at best. I wouldn't count on getting more than two draft picks for him and that would be only if you franchised him first.[/Quote]

Goindown - Dikta is not coaching anymore is he?? LOL - If so, the pats have a chance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Here's an article listing some teams interested in Matt Cassel.

Interested Teams

I've also listen to KFAN in the Twin Cities and about 1/4 of their Viking talk center's around getting Matt Cassel. So there's a lot of talk out there, should be interesting to see how it unfolds.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

- TexasPat & Patfan

Sorry for the late response.

I just don't think Cassel is worth that much on the open market. And it's the Pats who are needing to dump the fat contract. Teams can wait the Pats out. I also feel there's a lot of "the system" nonsense going on. It's almost like you're concidered damaged goods. Teams are going to be shy about giving up primo picks for a guy who has shown one good year. It's not so much about trading for less as it is trading for what you can get.

In the end I pretty much believe, like you do, that Cassel is better than Stafford and Sanchez. Folks may feel Stafford has a better upside than Cassel. I would like to see a 1st round pick but after some of the things that I've read I believe it more unlikely to happen. Hope I'm wrong because we could use another stud.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Unfortunately, the "near misses" don't count. In fact, it's more humiliating to remind one of at least one of those gaffes, particularly in the haphazard company of any of those people from new york.

The whole attitude change began when they started to swagger during the undefeated season that became unfruitful. The redemption season turned into a filler that rolled the roster forward another year. (Everytime this happens, the team changes.) We are no longer that team that went undefeated. In fact, a rush of new players will only hear about what it was like.

Right now, the Pats are a very good football team- that's it. They are not champions or fearful contenders by any stretch. In fact, it remains to be seen if they can keep a full team on the field for a full season. Is this not the truth? Methinks.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the Towne Team win, however, the team that swaggered and gave new york a SB is not my team- they belong in Hollywood! I want that scrappy bunch of non-quitters to coming on the field as a team. These guys are the real deal. Personally, I'm embarrased to bring up the season in which the Pats went undefeated during the regular season...it always ends in a choking laugh pointed at me.