Time to cut Maroney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from javelin101. Show javelin101's posts

Re: Time to cut Maroney

Forget about Maroney.  The person they need to cut is Matt Light.  The guy is a revolving door.  Then to make matters worse he gets idiotic penalties.  We are lucky Brady is still breathing after that game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from momepat. Show momepat's posts

In Response to Re: Time to cut Maroney:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to cut Maroney :
    Posted by momepat[/QUOTE]

It is not Maroney or any of the running backs for that matter.  The problem is obvious - it is the offensive line.  They cannot block for the run!  They get beat up by the defensive lineman all the time.  The best running back in the world could not run with that line.  They never open up a hole!   They need a bigger, tougher OL if they want a running game.  In addition, they are not that successful with protecting Tom.  He is lucky to still be standing today.  I hold my breath with every passing play watching them with their inconsistent blocking.  OL is th problem and needs to be fixed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

i like benjarvisgreenellis best!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Maroney was fine last night and I will take that effort every week from him. He is healthy now and if he remains healthy he will be very productive for the Pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

[QUOTE]Forget about Maroney.  The person they need to cut is Matt Light.  The guy is a revolving door.  Then to make matters worse he gets idiotic penalties.  We are lucky Brady is still breathing after that game.
    Posted by javelin101[/QUOTE]

You are right Matt light is awful. It was embarrassment watching him last night

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espnetboy3. Show Espnetboy3's posts

Its simple why LoMo will not get cut. People he is on his rookie contract, why cut him we pay him nothing to begin with everything he does is a positive unless he plays god awful which was not the case last night.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

tender roni played hard and ran hard last nite, both as a runner and as a kickoff guy! pats may well salvage both watson and maroney from that underperformg 2006 draft! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis should have started. Period. Of all the backs this pre-season, he proved he should start. I kept thinking last night that BJGE got robbed. Maroney did nothing this pre-season to show he deserves to start. BJGE did everything he could have and should have done to be the starter. I mean, there's no denying this. Look at the Bills. Fred Jackson did a very good job and where did this guy come from? Tell you where: desire. Every year backs come out of nowhere to impress everyone. Last year BJGE showed a taste of what he's got. He obviously came to camp ready to prove to the coaches he is The Guy. He did just that too. BB hugged him after the last PS game. And Maroney starts? 

I'm hoping BB is waiting for a RB to go down somewhere else and then offer Maroney for a 5th round pick. BJGE should be NO. 1 and then Taylor, Morris, Faulk. If BB is so intent on using The Dancer then get a big honking FB to ploe a hole for him to get into the open field. Old school. Otherwise, it just ain't happening. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Easy BJGE is not a starting running back. Sure he had his shot last year and played OK. But 3.7 yds/carry isnt exactly #1 back material. He is a good complement back. I would love to see him used like the Giants use Bradshaw. He didnt even suite last night so that shows where BB has him on the depth chart.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-PATRIOT. Show CT-PATRIOT's posts

[QUOTE]Maroney did what he does, which is excel in space and stop dead in traffic. He has his uses, but handling the ball between the tackles in short yardage situations ain't one of 'em. I could not believe he got the call on fourth and inches on the opening drive. Utter folly.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]
    Agree. Fourth and one you need a back that will submarine to get that yard ala Taylor or Morris. It looked like even with the lack of blocking that yard could have been created.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

This is why I had a problem with the personel packages and play calling in 3rd and 4th down situations. Calling a run up the gut and having Maroney in should be mutually exclusive. You've got Taylor, Morris and the back of many names for that

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to cut Maroney : Taylor averaged less per carry than Maroney, should we cut him too?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Agree with that line of thinking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to cut Maroney : Agree with that line of thinking.
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]

I couldnt believe the crowd boo'd him. I'm afraid that Matt Light is going to be a problem protecting Brady and opening holes on the line. He has some better D ends comming up and if he looks like he did last night then Brady needs to make sure his behind your back radar is working. I think  *IMHO* that Volhmer might just be the left tackle before the seasons over.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

Maroney is best on the edges. He wouldnt have been running up the gut if morris was available.

People are too harsh on Maroney. Adalius Thomas as well . Maroney looks like the best back of the bunch as far as rushing is concerned

Clearly the pats have some work to do. On both sides of the ball. Im not gonna go beating up Maroney for last night. He wasnt the weak link.
    They all looked rusty.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Two thoughts:

1-why would you use LM in a Kevin Faulk like role? 

We already have Kevin Faulk the GREATEST 3rd down back in the history of the game.  W T F would anyone in there right mind sit Faulk on 3rd down for LM? 

2-It's the blocking.

Barry Sanders played for some terrible teams with bad lines (any HOF'er there?).  Yet he managed to become one of the greatest ever.  Talent, drive and decision making are the ingredients that make for a successful running back. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Two thoughts: 1-why would you use LM in a Kevin Faulk like role?  We already have Kevin Faulk the GREATEST 3rd down back in the history of the game.  W T F would anyone in there right mind sit Faulk on 3rd down for LM?  2-It's the blocking. Barry Sanders played for some terrible teams with bad lines (any HOF'er there?).  Yet he managed to become one of the greatest ever.  Talent, drive and decision making are the ingredients that make for a successful running back. 
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

You make it seem like Barry Sanders-esque players grow on tree's.  He was truly a unique, once a generation type runner, in the convo as best RB of all time. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

I know LM is no Sanders but we should expect more production and make fewer excuses (injured, blocking, soiled panties...ect) for what was a 1st round pick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The difference between these two is that Sanders could actually make guys miss or use his strength once he got to the outside, as opposed to Maroney, who -- unless there is a six-lane highway to run through -- merely stops and does the pee pee dance until somebody tackles him.

This is not to say that Maroney is useless. He can be effective in certain situations. But handing him the ball and asking him to crash the line of scrimmage is not one of those situations.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]The difference between these two is that Sanders could actually make guys miss or use his strength once he got to the outside, as opposed to Maroney, who -- unless there is a six-lane highway to run through -- merely stops and does the pee pee dance until somebody tackles him. This is not to say that Maroney is useless. He can be effective in certain situations. But handing him the ball and asking him to crash the line of scrimmage is not one of those situations.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

How do you explain Maroney's career 4.3 YPC then?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I know LM is no Sanders but we should expect more production and make fewer excuses (injured, blocking, soiled panties...ect) for what was a 1st round pick.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

I agree that he hasn't lived up to expectations relative to his draft position.  I do believe he is a servicable NFL back though that has shown flashes of elite ability.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maroney isn't going to bust tackles up the middle, but he's a tremendous runner in space. I'd stick with him for another year or two -- I remember a few years back when everyone wanted to dump Faulk because he fumbled too much. Aren't we all glad that Belichick didn't listen and stuck with 33?  

I like Matt Light a lot -- I think he plays hard and smart -- but he's never had the physical skills to be a great left tackle. I think the Pat's have been hurt for years by their lack of great tackles.  It surprises me that Belichick -- who is willing to use high draft picks on D-linemen (like Seymour) -- only goes for bargain basement O-linemen. Not sure if he thinks that success on the o-line isn't so much attributable to individual talent as it is to good teamwork or if he just doesn't think tackles are valuable enough to use the high draft picks the top ones always get. Generally, you can't argue with Belichick's formula for success, but I can't help thinking we would have gone 19-0 two years ago if our tackles were better in the Super Bowl.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to cut Maroney : How do you explain Maroney's career 4.3 YPC then?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Statistics don't need explaining. You can dig up (or invent) a statistic to back up any point you care to make and one statistic is just as meaningless as another, as teams do not play identical schedules and there is no accounting for what I call "blowout numbers," that is, yardage or scoring piled up in meaningless situations.

Yes, we all know Maroney is good in space. So is every other back in the league. I just find watching him tiptoe to the line of scrimmage and stop if there isn't a canyon to skip through very frustrating, given the brief flashes of brilliance he has shown when he gets loose among the smurfs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

PrairieMIke, Taylor did not look spectacular, but he can clearly move the pile better than Maroney and Faulk is as rock solid on 3rd downs as any back in the league. I am happy with our stable of backs. I just stumbled onto this thread we aren't mentioning Maroney and Barry Sanders in the same paragraph are we ? because one is clearly much better than the other.....we should still be comparing Maroney to Addai and Barber.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lombardi479. Show lombardi479's posts

I thought Maroney had a great first quarter.  By the second half, the Bills had 3-5 guys in the back field right after the snap.  No one can run with that much penetration upfront.  What I didnt understand was Faulk running back kick offs.  Guy isnt exactly lightning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Maroney has shown to be a great kick returner and I like him catching the ball in a faulk type role.  He's not a power back, but if used properly would be a great player.