Time to cut Maroney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonJetsLeon. Show leonJetsLeon's posts

Re: Time to cut Maroney

This is a thread started by one of the so called "loyal"NE fans right?

Wait until the pats ship starts to sink!Which if anybody doesn't realize this yet after last nights fiasco...this is the year this happens!

Loyal fans my a rse!One game and they want to cut a guy already!Only in NE folks ...Only in NE...Thanks for the laughs!Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Time to cut Maroney:
    He has had his chance and continues to come up empty.  If he isn't hurt he is running for 2 yards.  Cmon, how much longer will the Pats have to be in 3 and long and have to go to Faulk?   Maroney scares no team and doesn't add that needed element of attack the Pats need on the ground.  Eventually all the teams will know that the Pats can only go to the air, and then adjust their plan.  We cant afford another season of Laurence Maroney.  Cut him now and lets bring in a free agent.  Or keep him on the kick return team.
    Posted by djrpats

I had no problem with Maroney's game last night. He hit the hole when there was one and put his shoulder down a lot from what I remember. The problem was that the Bills front was better than the Pats O-line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Didn't the Pats rush for almost 150 yards a game last season ? Who were those blockers and how come they could move forward and open holes ? For a bunch of pass blockers they seemed to be pretty good last season. Boy, after one game they all must instantly stink. People wanted to fire the OC last night as well and cut Ben Watson. That's why no one listens to fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Where's the love for Sammy Morris? He's been the best back the Pats have had until he's gotten hurt each year. Yes, he will break at some point in the year, but why don't they use him carrying the ball instead of, get this, playing fullback!

We all seem to agree Maroney is good in space, but space don't come easy in the NFL. Behind the same pass-first OL, Morris averaged 4.7 YPC last year to Maroney's 3.3. Yes, not apples to apples, but you get the idea.

IMHO, none of the current backs are the solution to the "who is our feature back" problem. I'm not a big believer in 1st round picks on RBs, but it sure would be nice to see who's around with the #2s we have.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

The fans should have never boo'd Maroney, its not like the guy is laying down. Fred Taylor didn't show me very much either. I think the RB's had no where to run. The only good run, a 9 yarder, that Taylor ran got called back by Lights tripping penalty.

Matt Light has trouble with Schobell and Jason Taylor, always has always will. Vollmer will be our savior one day. Light gave up the sack and was beaten for the pick 6.

It surprises me that Belichick -- who is willing to use high draft picks on D-linemen (like Seymour) -- only goes for bargain basement O-linemen.  

Logan Mankins was a high draft pick (1st round), Kaczur was a third, Volhmer was a second. Neil undrafted free agent, Light second round and we have 3 seconds for next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from djrpats. Show djrpats's posts

This is going into his 3rd year.  He isn't a rookie and has been around long enough to know the BB system.  Monday night wasn't his 1st game. It was his 40-something ( all total).  We have seen the same thing over and over.  Don't worry in 3 or 4 weeks he'll be hurt again and we can see what BJGE is all about.  Does anyone remember Theresa Glenn? at least she gave us one bust out year.  However if BB thinks he should stay then he knows best, I just think he is all wind and no rain and I don't want to see anything happen to Brady again because they are always forced to pass every down and risk a QB injury because of it.  With that... time to scalp the Jets Sunday.... Go Pats!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Time to cut Maroney:
    In Response to Re: Time to cut Maroney : Statistics don't need explaining. You can dig up (or invent) a statistic to back up any point you care to make and one statistic is just as meaningless as another, as teams do not play identical schedules and there is no accounting for what I call "blowout numbers," that is, yardage or scoring piled up in meaningless situations. Yes, we all know Maroney is good in space. So is every other back in the league. I just find watching him tiptoe to the line of scrimmage and stop if there isn't a canyon to skip through very frustrating, given the brief flashes of brilliance he has shown when he gets loose among the smurfs.
    Posted by prairiemike

Right, forget about stats, they only prove he's not as bad as you think.

Also you talk about how people "invent" stats to make a point, yet you throw "blowout numbers" out there to make yours.  Makes you a bit of a hypocrite....not to mention your "invented" stats certainly hold more water than official league stats.  To your other point, it's usually the team getting blown out that pads its stats and its usually through the air.  But for arguments sake, please point out the games in which Maroney was padding his numbers in garbage time?

As for your comment about schedules, this is the NFL, not a BCS team loading up its schedule with 3-4 cupcakes to inflate overall stats, things are earned there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

He has had his chance and continues to come up empty.  If he isn't hurt he is running for 2 yards.  Cmon, how much longer will the Pats have to be in 3 and long and have to go to Faulk?   Maroney scares no team and doesn't add that needed element of attack the Pats need on the ground.  Eventually all the teams will know that the Pats can only go to the air, and then adjust their plan.  We cant afford another season of Laurence Maroney.  Cut him now and lets bring in a free agent.  Or keep him on the kick return team.
    Posted by djrpats

I don't know what game you were watching last night. Maroney and Taylor had moderate success running the ball in the first half. If this veteran offensive line can't create openings to run, don't blame the running back. When your quarterback attempts 50 plus passes in a game, you're no longer focusing on running. 
    This was our first game of 2009. Save the cut Maroney bulls*it for later in the season if he's not doin' his job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

IWhat I didnt understand was Faulk running back kick offs.  Guy isnt exactly lightning.
    Posted by lombardi479

Only reason Faulk was returning was because the Bills were kicking away from Maroney after his first return. Moroney was back to receive, but the Bills kept kicking to the left so Faulk would have to make the return instead.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

Maroney isn't going to bust tackles up the middle, but he's a tremendous runner in space. I'd stick with him for another year or two -- I remember a few years back when everyone wanted to dump Faulk because he fumbled too much. Aren't we all glad that Belichick didn't listen and stuck with 33?   I like Matt Light a lot -- I think he plays hard and smart -- but he's never had the physical skills to be a great left tackle. I think the Pat's have been hurt for years by their lack of great tackles.  It surprises me that Belichick -- who is willing to use high draft picks on D-linemen (like Seymour) -- only goes for bargain basement O-linemen. Not sure if he thinks that success on the o-line isn't so much attributable to individual talent as it is to good teamwork or if he just doesn't think tackles are valuable enough to use the high draft picks the top ones always get. Generally, you can't argue with Belichick's formula for success, but I can't help thinking we would have gone 19-0 two years ago if our tackles were better in the Super Bowl.
    Posted by soloflyfisher

Nice post. If memory serves correct another member of the OL got caught tripping a defender in the Superbowl against the Giants. If you have to resort to tripping to beat your blocking assignment, that player owns you! Don't think the Jets haven't noticed. I expect them to blitz all day on Sunday or until it's shown this offensive line can keep Brady on his feet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

You are an idiot if you think you can find a RB on the open market right now who culd come in and be better then Maroney. He knows the scheme and he is a cheap player for this year so cutting him makes no sense. Plus from what I heard he had a pretty good game nt nearly as bad as people thought he would do. Not to mention we are a pass happy offense and even if we had AP back there we would rush the ball more then we pass it so you have to realize some of it is scheme as well. Cutting Maroney is a dumb move which is why they wont do it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Posted by djrpats

I only clicked on this thread because I assumed you were being sarcastic. Now I realize you are just a jets fan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I know right? What a fool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Is this the part where I say "Maroney blows!" ?

Line?

Sections
Shortcuts