Time to Dismantle the Bend, but don't Break Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Time to Dismantle the Bend, but don't Break Defense

This is not a knee-jerk reaction although it will sound like it to some.

I believe the evidence is now firmly established that the "bend but don't break defense" is no longer viable in today's NFL.  Up thru 2003 when the Pats won their 2nd SB the rules allowed more contact in the passing game, thereby giving your front 7 more time to reach the quarterback.  Then the NFL adopted the Ty Law Rule against contact beyond 5 yards.  In 2004, under the new rules, the Pats won their last SB but allowed the 2nd most points (29) by a winning team in the history of the Superbowl ... against the immortal Jake Delhomme.

If you look at the SB winners since 2005 they ALL had a front 7 defense that applied pressure to the QB.  Yes, even the Colts and Saints.  The Patriots have not had one such person since Seymour left in 2009.

I see a team that is rigidly holding onto the bend, don't break philosophy.  The D line is built to stop the run but becomes ineffective when the other team is passing, because they have no skilled pass rusher (the jury is still out on Jones, who tailed off in the 2nd half).

Linebackers are built to stuff the run, but rarely blitz or reach the QB.  Compounding this they are too slow to cover backs out of the backfield.

The lack of pressure by the front 7 puts too much emphasis on the secondary.

Obviously the Pats have achieved tremendous success in the BB era.  That is a testament to BB the coach, who can get more out of less than anyone alive.  But, if he's not willing to change and adopt a more aggressive scheme and target the players that will fit that scheme, I fear we will be teased with more "not quite good enough" seasons.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Time to Dismantle the Bend, but don't Break Defense

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

I believe the evidence is now firmly established that the "bend but don't break defense" is no longer viable in today's NFL.  Up thru 2003 when the Pats won their 2nd SB the rules allowed more contact in the passing game, thereby giving your front 7 more time to reach the quarterback.  Then the NFL adopted the Ty Law Rule against contact beyond 5 yards.  In 2004, under the new rules, the Pats won their last SB but allowed the 2nd most points (29) by a winning team in the history of the Superbowl ... against the immortal Jake Delhomme.

If you look at the SB winners since 2005 they ALL had a front 7 defense that applied pressure to the QB.  Yes, even the Colts and Saints.  The Patriots have not had one such person since Seymour left in 2009.

I see a team that is rigidly holding onto the bend, don't break philosophy.  The D line is built to stop the run but becomes ineffective when the other team is passing, because they have no skilled pass rusher (the jury is still out on Jones, who tailed off in the 2nd half).

Linebackers are built to stuff the run, but rarely blitz or reach the QB.  Compounding this they are too slow to cover backs out of the backfield.

Obviously the Pats have achieved tremendous success in the BB era.  That is a testament to BB the coach, who can get more out of less than anyone alive.  But, if he's not willing to change and adopt a more aggressive scheme and target the players that will fit that scheme, I fear we will be teased with more "not quite good enough" seasons.

Let me put this as simple as possible. When BB gets real players who can get stops than he will scrap the "BBDB" defense. They play that way because its a cover 2 concept that is supposed to be able to stop the run and pass. It keeps players with their eyes on the Qb and takes away the short passes to the flat while defending the deep halves of the field. You are only supposed to be exposed deep over the middle but when we play it, we are always beat deep to the outside which should never happen. When Ty Law and Poole and Otis were here they could play man which allows BB to be agressive in the front seven and plat games like stunts, twists, blitzes and he allowed the players to be mulitple and do what they want in terms of who stays , who blitzes, etc. These clowns he has now dont have the ability to wing it out there like WIllie Mac and Vrabes did and its exposing BB as only an average defensive coach. With pro bowlers he can do some damage, with THESE guys...not so much! So in short IT AINT GOING NOWHERE and it MAY get Worse before it gets better

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I agree, but a lot of teams still go into the prevent or bend but don't break defenses at times.  It seems BB does it more though.  I remember watching a replay of the Giants vs Bills super bowl when BB was the D coordinator and the Giants were winning, BB puts into play then bend but dont break defense and the Bills are moving the ball on them. It looks like they are going to drive down and win the game.  Parcells goes nuts, charges over to BB and gives him an ear full of what looked to be like pretty harsh words.  Finally the Giants stop the Bills and win the game.  But it wasn't looking good.  That was a long time ago!  He almost blew it way back then. Hasn't he learned?  I'm sure he has all the stats that it works more often then not... blaugh, blaugh, blaugh!  But the game changes.  It;s time to rethink running this type of defense so much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I'm not a huge fan of it either, especially considering how huge WRs are getting and how much of a red zone target they are nowadays.

Ravens are a bend and don't break defense though, and it worked out for them in the post season

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Baltimore used the bend but don't break defense against New England.  New England had 28 first downs and 450 yards of offense, but they scored only 13 points all game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Baltimore used the bend but don't break defense against New England.  New England had 28 first downs and 450 yards of offense, but they scored only 13 points all game.

The Ravens were able to bring pressure without blitzing most of the time.  They sat on passes and forced the Pats run game to move the ball down the field.  Their defense worked. Only 6 first downs rushing.   And still they were able to pressure Brady plenty.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the defense played a very good game....after talib got hurt, obviously flacco started passing on them with ease. but they still made enough stops to keep the pats in the game. getting to the opponents 25 six times, and only scoring one td and two field goals, just didnt cut it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Dwight Freeney would be an interesting prospect for the Pats.

I would be jumping up and down if we got Freeney! Pass rush changes everything. Lets load up for one more run. Osi would be better than Freeney though. Why not get both. we need more beef up front that can cover the deficiencies on the back side. An Ed Reed type safety would be a nice addition as well. Are there any viable corners on the market that the Pats can afford?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

We are close to have a really good front 7... 2 players away

a DT and a DE

we can draft 1 DT to play next to vince and then go for a good DE in FA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The Ravens used a very new an unique D on Sunday, do nothing but watch the Pats Pizz themselves.

The Ravens did not win the game Sunday.

The Pats played the classic play to lose game and LOST that game all by their onesies.

Sorry, it is what it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

The Ravens used a very new an unique D on Sunday, do nothing but watch the Pats Pizz themselves.

The Pats played the classic play to lose game and LOST that game all by their onesies.

Sorry, it is what it is.

all credit to the ravens for winning obviously.....but yea it did seem like it was more a factor of the pats offense not executing, than the ravens defense playing well. it seemed like the field was open for brady all day and he moved the offense pretty well between the 20's. he did nothing to capitalize once getting to that area though...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

If I told you the Pats would ave starting on their 42 yd line and move the ball to the Ravens 35 yd line, or closer, 5 times in the first half.....you all would have said that the Ravens were gonna get slaughterd.

I ain't having none of The Pats D has some blame, none of it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

If I told you the Pats would ave starting on their 42 yd line and move the ball to the Ravens 35 yd line, or closer, 5 times in the first half.....you all would have said that the Ravens were gonna get slaughterd.

defense played about as well as you could have hoped...espescially since talib left early in the game with an injury. they didnt force any turnovers....but early in that game, the pats defense was slowing down the ravens offense and were giving the pats offense chances to score. the offense didnt score, and they lost because of it. putting blame on the defense is silly. i agree putting cole on boldin was a stupid move and it cost them, but they allowed only one td in the first half and one of the three td's they allowed in the second half, were a direct result of an offensive turnover at midfield. the defense is getting better, seems as if the offense is at a standstill in the playoffs unfortunately. and obviously the gronk injury hurt, but the pats had more than enough weapons to put up more than 13 points. that was a pathetic showing by brady...the dirty slide was pathetic and so was him throwing the ball away in the 4th quarter when he had room to run for a first down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

Nailed it right on the head. You can have a suspect secondary if you have a good or great pass rush because it covers these things up. What you can't have is no pass rush and Cole and Arrington jogging around out there getting sweaty! Chandler Jones has great promise but needs to stay on the field for a full 16 games. They need so add some beef up front and another edge rushing monster opposite Jones.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I think the bigger issue is the offense that is designed to pile up fantasy stats against bad teams in the regular season, but has run into a defense every in the playoffs that figures out how to slow it down (or stop it altogether - like the second half of Sunday's game).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

Sorry, it is what it is.

all credit to the ravens for winning obviously.....but yea it did seem like it was more a factor of the pats offense not executing, than the ravens defense playing well. it seemed like the field was open for brady all day and he moved the offense pretty well between the 20's. he did nothing to capitalize once getting to that area though...

So you are not gonna mention the Wes drop that was at the 35 and would have atleast gave us an easy Fg and momentum or the Lloyd Drop on 3rd down that was also on the other side and you arent gonna question why BB punted twice on the other side of the field??? We didnt average 36 a game being passive so why is these fans here expected anything close with a sh*tty gameplan and passive playcalling???   I mean this reeked of 2010 and even then Kraft was quoted saying "gameplan" when asked what was missing. Seems nothing has changed  in 3 years and all anyone can do is Blame One guy who plays ONE position. They thought they could grind it out until Flacco pulled the guns out and then we were toast.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

But, we didnt start from the 42 every drive. if you are gonna troll here atleast tell the truth. We had much better field position then the Ravens in 1st half, but we DID NOT get the ball at midfield every time. Nice try!  3 straight TDs in 2nd half. !st half the Ravens stopped themselves....Soooo, stop it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

defense played about as well as you could have hoped...espescially since talib left early in the game with an injury. they didnt force any turnovers....but early in that game, the pats defense was slowing down the ravens offense and were giving the pats offense chances to score. the offense didnt score, and they lost because of it. putting blame on the defense is silly. i agree putting cole on boldin was a stupid move and it cost them, but they allowed only one td in the first half and one of the three td's they allowed in the second half, were a direct result of an offensive turnover at midfield. the defense is getting better, seems as if the offense is at a standstill in the playoffs unfortunately. and obviously the gronk injury hurt, but the pats had more than enough weapons to put up more than 13 points. that was a pathetic showing by brady...the dirty slide was pathetic and so was him throwing the ball away in the 4th quarter when he had room to run for a first down.

go look at the replay again. he did not have room. YOu probably listened to the announcers who stressed that and then at the last minute before commercial u can hear Simms saying, "maybe not" NGata was 2 feet away and the 1st down was 4 yards away. he would have been Creamed! trust me

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

go look at the replay again. he did not have room. YOu probably listened to the announcers who stressed that and then at the last minute before commercial u can hear Simms saying, "maybe not" NGata was 2 feet away and the 1st down was 4 yards away. he would have been Creamed! trust me

still had a better chance of picking up the first down that way than just throwing the ball at the end zone ground. and i saw the replay a few times, brady could have ran two yards and then dove for the first down. we all know he is slow, but cmon..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

But, we didnt start from the 42 every drive. if you are gonna troll here atleast tell the truth. We had much better field position then the Ravens in 1st half, but we DID NOT get the ball at midfield every time. Nice try!  3 straight TDs in 2nd half. !st half the Ravens stopped themselves....Soooo, stop it!

People who use the word Troll because they can't focus need to go see Moma and get their mouths washed out with soap.

I said AVE (that means average for you mentally challenged folks)

I said FIRST HALF so let me give you a football lesson here...the 3rd quarter is in the second half...repeat after me the leg bone is connected to the knee bone the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone...ya get it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPeeohYs

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The Ravens had horrible field position in the first half, ie, the portion of the game prior to the second half, encompassing both the 1st AND 2ND quarter, hence first half.

AND WE LET EM OFF THE HOOK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

If I were BB I would send Hightower, Spikes and Mayo to "Speed" school to get as much more speed out of them as possible.  Then next year I would send them in on blitzes about 5x more than they did this year.  Which they did very well this year when it was called for. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

If I were BB I would send Hightower, Spikes and Mayo to "Speed" school to get as much more speed out of them as possible.  Then next year I would send them in on blitzes about 5x more than they did this year.  Which they did very well this year when it was called for. 

No thanks. That'll just end up in more hamstring or quad injuries.

The solution is to get a cover LB who can play lots of snaps against a passing team, and on passing downs.