Time to go out and get Osi Umenyiora

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tompatriot. Show Tompatriot's posts

Time to go out and get Osi Umenyiora

Pats should definitely persue Osi seeing he has had some difficulty with the Giants last season.Considering that they chose a DE in the draft may indicate a willingness to move him. This would improve the pass rush right away. Price tag of a 2011 2nd or 3rd rounder would possibly get the job done.Certainly would start to tilt the off season activity of the other AFC East teams back toward the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Re: Time to go out and get Osi Umenyiora

call up BB and you tell him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

If it was desired and so easy it would have already been done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Have patience.  Round 2 of the free agents starts in June.  There will be some players that will help than.  Osi is not a best fit for the Patriot system

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Re: Time to go out and get Osi Umenyiora:
    Have patience.  Round 2 of the free agents starts in June.  There will be some players that will help than.  Osi is not a best fit for the Patriot system
    Posted by msteven

I think Osi would be a great pick-up. I'd feel much more comfortable if that Pats sign at least ONE veteran player that can rush the QB. I think that would somewhat solidify the defense. DB's look to be coming along, Wilfork is there for the run, just need a thorn in the opposing QB's side. Although Osi has slipped a bit I still like his athletisism..fast and strong..plus he comes with somewhat of a reputation in terms of being able to get sacks. Nothing to lose for the Pats here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

That would be a bad move. The whole Giants defense fell off the face of the earth starting in 2008, not just one player. Wonder why? Maybe some chemical enhancement?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Osi has never played in a 34 system. What makes you think he will do well in Pats uniform? However, if we can get him for a 4th/5th pick in 2011, I'd say go for it. His salary is doable and we can try him for one year. Maybe in 3rd down passing situations?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Osi has never played in a 34 system. What makes you think he will do well in Pats uniform? However, if we can get him for a 4th/5th pick in 2011, I'd say go for it. His salary is doable and we can try him for one year. Maybe in 3rd down passing situations?
    Posted by bmadmax81

..here we go. Why is it that whoever is suggested as a possibiity someone throws out the "oh, he can't play in a 3-4?? Gimme a break with that. Talented players can adjust or else you utilize their strenghts to your advantage situationally (as you say)
    I'm getting tired of all these excuses for pursuing players. They either "can't play a 3-4", "can't grasp whatever complicated systems the Pats have on O or D, OR they "are a poor locker room presence". What does that leave out there would be my question??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Osi was part of the problem in NY last year. Their D was downright embarrassing, didn't he get benched ? Man, how far did that D fall since facing the Pats in the Super Bowl.  Spagnolo must've been a heckuva coach, or those guys got old fast.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMichalski12. Show JMichalski12's posts

You people and the system, u r obsessed. Its not always about the system if a guy can play he can play. Get over it. You guys keep banking on the Crables and the Mckenzies, these guys have never played a down in the NFL. and this whole, he is not a Belichick kind of guy, bull. Belichicks arrogance and the fact that Kraft is cheap is the reason why we are not winning. Stop bargain basement shopping and this patch work defense. Our window with brady is probably about for more years, win now

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

You people and the system, u r obsessed. Its not always about the system if a guy can play he can play. Get over it. You guys keep banking on the Crables and the Mckenzies, these guys have never played a down in the NFL. and this whole, he is not a Belichick kind of guy, bull. Belichicks arrogance and the fact that Kraft is cheap is the reason why we are not winning. Stop bargain basement shopping and this patch work defense. Our window with brady is probably about for more years, win now
    Posted by JMichalski12

I smell a troll.
    How often do Trolls play the "Krafts are cheap" card?
    Again- The Patriots pay up to the cap EVERY YEAR! They CAN'T ( as in CAN NOT) pay any more than what they've spent. You can't limit the other teams to 60 mil for example and then allow the Patriots to spend 180 million so stop thinking
     like that. They just spend there high dollars on the middle players with a few exceptions (TB,VW) rather than spending high max dollars on 10 players and then getting the rest of your team from the local park. If NE spent the way you guys want them to, we'd be the Washington Redskins!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

In Response to Re: Time to go out and get Osi Umenyiora : ..here we go. Why is it that whoever is suggested as a possibiity someone throws out the "oh, he can't play in a 3-4?? Gimme a break with that. Talented players can adjust or else you utilize their strenghts to your advantage situationally (as you say) I'm getting tired of all these excuses for pursuing players. They either "can't play a 3-4", "can't grasp whatever complicated systems the Pats have on O or D, OR they "are a poor locker room presence". What does that leave out there would be my question??
    Posted by smorgan86

Well Buddy,
    Answering your question, it's not easy for a 43 DE, who terrorizes the QB in the back field to adjust to a new role as a 34 OLB. FOr one, he has to drop into coverage and I don't know how good Osi would be in that. I am not saying that he will be bad, but he may not be what we need. Case in point. Aaron Kampman, former packer.
    As DE in 43, he had 38 sacks in 3 seasons and since Packers changed to a 34, he had 3.5 sacks. He said that he cannot drop back in coverage and do what an OLB in 34 is supposed to do. Now Osi might be like Jason Taylor, flourish as a DE or OLB, but we wont know unless we sign him, and obviously BB does not see the merits vs the risk, hence he didnt sign him. We can keep lamenting that players are talented and can adjust, but I would put my money on BB and co, who are a better judge of talent that me and you. No offense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I don't think the Giants are trading him.

Remember that he had major knee surgery in 2008 and, as we found out with Brady, it takes a full year for a guy to get back up to speed.

The Giants are probably waiting to see if he looks like he's back to his 2007 form this year. If he is, he's not going anywhere, because with Romo and McNabb in that division, rushing the QB is imperative, and Pierre-Paul is just a rookie, so there will be a huge learning curve with him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Unfortunately for your premise, BB also seem obsesed with the the system and continuously shuns high profile players that don't fit the 3-4 system he employs.

How about Chris Canty instead? He signed a big contract (with $17m up front) but is 3rd on the depth chart at DT for the Giants.  The Giants also drafted big DT in the 2nd round as well in L Joseph. 

At 6-7/304 Canty is more suited to play the DE on a 3-4 than a DT in NY's 4-3 anyways. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Posted by JMichalski12

Kraft is cheap?  What kind of nonsense is this?  We don't spend to the cap every year?  Get a clue.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Unfortunately for your premise, BB also seem obsesed with the the system and continuously shuns high profile players that don't fit the 3-4 system he employs. How about Chris Canty instead? He signed a big contract (with $17m up front) but is 3rd on the depth chart at DT for the Giants.  The Giants also drafted big DT in the 2nd round as well in L Joseph.  At 6-7/304 Canty is more suited to play the DE on a 3-4 than a DT in NY's 4-3 anyways. 
    Posted by bobomul

So is that why he tried to sign Julius Peppers this year during free agency before the Bears swooped in with a much larger deal?  I understand the whole 3-4 system argument, but the fact is that the vast majority of college and pro players don't operate out of a 3-4. 

Granted this year there will be some 14 teams in the NFL running a 3-4, but in years past there was only a handful of teams that did.  In fact if you look at the teams that are going 3-4, most are teams that feature one the Belichick deciples such as Denver, Cleveland, KC, Atlanta, Miami (Parcells), Dallas, New York Jets etc...  So basically about half the 3-4 teams in the NFL have some sort of connection with Belichick.  Coincidence?

Anyway, 3-4 OLB is a crap shoot no matter how you project certain players, therefore you have to be willing to take chances on certain guys despite the lack of experience with playing in our system etc...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Posted by JMichalski12

Like it or not, BB drafts/signs guys that fit his system based on size, speed, intangibles and skill set.  They're not going to sign a guy just sign one or because the fans want them to.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

BB might not be aware of any of the notable players that might become availiable soon. It's a good thing you started this thread.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

HATE TO REPEAT MYSELF BUT  OSI CAN BE HAD AND IF THE PRICE ISN'THIGHER THAN A THIRD IN NEXT YEARS DRAFT THEY'D BE SMART TO GRAB HIM.HIS QUICKNESWS AND LENGTH WOULD ENABLE HIM THE PLAY THE RDE SLOT WITH A GOOD SIZE OLB BEHIND HIM(READ THAT CUNNINGHAM OR A VET WHO THEY BRING IN).A COMBIMATION OF WARREN AND AND OSI COULD BE A VERY EFFECTIVE DUO AT THAT SPOT.I HAPPEN BELIEVE THAT OSI WOULD BE ABLE TO TRANSITION TO THE OLB SPOT IF THE PATS DECIDED THAT'S WHAT WOULD BE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE TEAM.I'D SURE LIKE TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS WITH WARREN AND OSI A TANDEM AT RDE BEFORE THEY MOVE OSI.HOPE TO SEE OSI IN A PATS UNIFORM. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfarr55. Show jfarr55's posts

Even though Osi Umenyiora has never played outside linebacker in a 3-4, I believe he has enough athleticism to play the position. The Pats did trade for Derrick Burgess, however, Burgess did have some experience standing up in the Raider's defense. (They played some 3-4 under Rob Ryan) Umenyiora is a better defensive end than Derrick Burgess was in a 4-3, so I believe he'll be better than Burgess if the Pats did trade for him. He also has better size (I believe he's about 6'3" 265-270) than Burgess. Burgess is a little shorter. The only knack on him is he doesn't really play the run well. He's more of a pure pass-rusher but I think that's what the Pats need right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

id have no problem with osi on the pats.. its a better and more calculated risk than it would have been to sign peppers and do the same thing with him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

In Response to Re: Time to go out and get Osi Umenyiora : ..here we go. Why is it that whoever is suggested as a possibiity someone throws out the "oh, he can't play in a 3-4?? Gimme a break with that. Talented players can adjust or else you utilize their strenghts to your advantage situationally (as you say) I'm getting tired of all these excuses for pursuing players. They either "can't play a 3-4", "can't grasp whatever complicated systems the Pats have on O or D, OR they "are a poor locker room presence". What does that leave out there would be my question??
    Posted by smorgan86

Ya, haha, doing player evaluation is stupid!  I mean, why bother trying to match the players you have, to how you play--it's silly!  You can just grab any player whose name you've heard and plug them right in--cause they'll adjust!  For example, if you're an a defensive lineman in a 3-4 whose only responsibility is to penetrate, and you've never been asked to control two-gaps before in your career, you'll just "do it gooder" because Joe Fan, director of player personnel, picked you because you were in a pro-bowl once!  Or if you're strong, powerful pas-rusher who's primarily known for his bullrush, and you want him to play OLB and set the edge, but he's built all wrong for it (6'3") he'll just adjust.  By growing his arms longer.  With magic!!  Because talented players adjust.  With magic!

And hahaha, "locker room presence!"  What a silly consideration for team-building!  Let's remember: "We're not building a team--we are collecting individually talented players."  I mean, look at the Washington Redskins, hello?  They don't bother to match player to system, or worry about stupid stuff like so-called "locker room presence!"  I mean, "What does that leave out there would be my question??"  Hahaha.  It's certainly worked for Washgington!  And I'm more than a little fed up with BB and his whole "evaluating" players, and "building" a team, and "planning" for games, and "thinking."

I mean--what's that ever produced in NE???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I have NO problem adding OSI to this team - no matter what system folks think he can play in or not.  The Bottom line is, he is a 'PlayMAKER' on Defense!  That is what we need and we didn't get in the draft or sign a FA yet.....
    I think most of us would agree, that right now (based on our current roster) that TBC is our best pass rusher going into next year.  This isn't going to fear most teams.  So adding a player like Osi or even another possible pass rusher that could possibly be out there before the start of next season would be something I hope the Pats do. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Posted by JMichalski12

LMAO....been saying a similar thing since 2007.

When Tully is the best pass rusher, people SHOULD be worried. IMHO, pass rush is the teams biggest weakness - and the draft didn't really address it adequately. Still some time to pick someone up before the season begins.

BB has improved other areas: TE, ILB, maybe OLB if Cunningham pans out (or if by some remote chance Crable surprises us), punting game.

Other Areas needing some help? C, RT, RG, WR, RB

Sections
Shortcuts