Time to make trade for O-lineman now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianp5428. Show brianp5428's posts

Time to make trade for O-lineman now?

After Gallery's retirement the line seems real thin. I know we will get back Mankins, Waters, etc.. But with injuries you never know. This is the only area of the team that is of some concern to me for the year. Maybe they could swing a trade to a team in need of an extra WR or backup QB and get a real solid lineman? Koppen I would not count on this year either. By the sounds of what you read he is not having a great camp. Or maybe a team dumps a high priced guy as the preseason goes on that still has a solid year or two left in them, Let's hope so

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Time to make trade for O-lineman now?

I wont be surprised if Koppen is gone by the beginning of the season.  I hope Waters comes back, nothing has been confirmed about him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Are there any FA's left? This is not a time to be trading for O-linemen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

OK oh wise ones....riddle me this....

Why the hell have the Pats been going thru this O line circus the past 3 or so seasons? I don't get it. Brady should have, and actually needs, a great O line and he does not....so.....why not?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Time to make trade for O-lineman now?:
    [QUOTE]OK oh wise ones....riddle me this.... Why the hell have the Pats been going thru this O line circus the past 3 or so seasons? I don't get it. Brady should have, and actually needs, a great O line and he does not....so.....why not?

Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

What "circus"? The o-line has been among the best in football for several years by almost any measure. It will be again this year. Relax.  This is one reason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He has an offensive line but it's a shakey one at the present. Mankins out,Waters out,Vollmer out, Light Retired,Gallery retired,Koppen looking only mediocre,at least Connolly,Solder,Thomas,Cannon,Weems,Wendell,and every other addition haven't quit as of yet!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Do the "best" get called the best for showing up in the biggest games yes?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

NostradamusOh...and this is

Nostradamus

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I believe that's Dante Alighieri (Coach Scarn)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If Thomas, Hix, and Wendell weren't playing so well right now then I'd be worried but truthfully you can only carry 9-10 OL on the team anyways.

Mankins will come back from injury
    Waters hates camp so he'll be back
    Connolly is showing why he was the starting C last year
    Solder is showing some nastiness
    Cannon is steadily improving and has shown in camp to be one of the better run blockers
    Thomas/Wendell played as G's and C's last year and the O-line didn't skip a beat and are improving this year
    Hix is looking good and getting 1st team reps
    Vollmer will be back as either a starter or as a top end backup
    Weems has be impressing at camp

there is 10 right there and don't forget the secret weapon Scar. It seems no matter who they toss in the OL doesn't skip a beat, so if Scar gives them the thumbs up then they are fine for me. Though I think next draft they should start looking for an interior OL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]I believe that's Dante Alighieri (Coach Scarn)

Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

You got it. 

Gallery is gone, so what? We already knew Light was gone and Waters was a question mark.  Koppen isn't a guy anybody expected much of, I know I didn't. Connolly is a better center anyway. They'll manage fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Gallery looked terrible in camp, he was nothin more than a back-up anyway. 

The sky isn't falling, it's just rain. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I wouldnt be too shocked if Light un-retires and joins us for one more run if we have the need badly enough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Too early to panic. I think we wait and see. To get someone good we'd have to trade away someone good. I'd rather not do that if we've got good players in the wings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

If they pick up anybody it'll be from camp cuts and guys that didn't make team rosters for various reasons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

First: 2/11/2009
    Last: 8/4/2012
    If Thomas, Hix, and Wendell weren't playing so well right now then I'd be worried but truthfully you can only carry 9-10 OL on the team anyways.

Mankins will come back from injury
    Waters hates camp so he'll be back
    Connolly is showing why he was the starting C last year
    Solder is showing some nastiness
    Cannon is steadily improving and has shown in camp to be one of the better run blockers
    Thomas/Wendell played as G's and C's last year and the O-line didn't skip a beat and are improving this year
    Hix is looking good and getting 1st team reps
    Vollmer will be back as either a starter or as a top end backup
    Weems has be impressing at camp

there is 10 right there and don't forget the secret weapon Scar. It seems no matter who they toss in the OL doesn't skip a beat, so if Scar gives them the thumbs up then they are fine for me. Though I think next draft they should start looking for an interior OL

I'm not too confident that Vollmer will come back 100%. And is Waters hating camp a legit reason for him to be absent? No flames there just questions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Well 2 more O-linemen bite the dust today and several others. WTH

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4726333/pats-o-line-a-concern-in-practice

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]PatsEng Posts: 6301 First: 2/11/2009 Last: 8/4/2012 If Thomas, Hix, and Wendell weren't playing so well right now then I'd be worried but truthfully you can only carry 9-10 OL on the team anyways. Mankins will come back from injury Waters hates camp so he'll be back Connolly is showing why he was the starting C last year Solder is showing some nastiness Cannon is steadily improving and has shown in camp to be one of the better run blockers Thomas/Wendell played as G's and C's last year and the O-line didn't skip a beat and are improving this year Hix is looking good and getting 1st team reps Vollmer will be back as either a starter or as a top end backup Weems has be impressing at camp there is 10 right there and don't forget the secret weapon Scar. It seems no matter who they toss in the OL doesn't skip a beat, so if Scar gives them the thumbs up then they are fine for me. Though I think next draft they should start looking for an interior OL I'm not too confident that Vollmer will come back 100%. And is Waters hating camp a legit reason for him to be absent? No flames there just questions.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

If Vollmer doesn't come back 100% well Cannon's been getting 1st team reps at RT so not to worried. Either Cannon or Vollmer will be a backup and either has starting potential.

As for Waters, no I don't think it's a good reason but it's something we knew about Waters all together. I think BB knows this and isn't making a big deal about it. I mean Waters came in last year and performed right away so we'll have to see with him.

But to me I'm not all that concerned that a backup G/T retired when there was a clear competition in camp for that position and the younger players were performing better anyways

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I don't see Gallerys retirement as a huge loss, there were several reports when he was signed that he was near the end. Waters had no training camp with the Pats last year, walked in and started from day one and played all pro football all seasson. Since no one is saying anything on him, I get the feeling the same thing will happen this year. Same with Mankins, I see no news as good news. He will be back as soon as healthy. Vollmer is a concern with all the time he missed last year, Cannon is getting reps at both tackle positions which will help the depth.

To answer the OP, as soon as another team has a WR injury, that is the time to talk trade since the Pats seem deep there. Might be able to get a solid starting OL for Stallworth or Edelmann?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Brady always makes the O-line look better statistically than they have played because he is a master of dumping the ball just before he gets hammered.

Then when the other team can stop the pass for a second or 2 longer Brady gets sacked or hammered so hard that he can't help but be frenzied by the rush. I've seen that a lot since the Gents 2007 SB rush made the O-line look like swiss cheese.

The Pats have always ignored the O-Line imo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I don't disagree with all of that. I do believe though that Brady masks deficiencies in the O-Line.

So do you believe the coaches are aware of that?  

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Time to make trade for O-lineman now?": Throwing the ball 48 times against the best pass rush in the league usually sets your qb up to take sacks. Our o line was probably the best in the nFL that year, the sacks Brady took wasn't their fault, you don't throw blood in the water to keep the away. When was the last time n.e had real problems with the o line? I can't remember.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]He has an offensive line but it's a shakey one at the present. Mankins out,Waters out,Vollmer out, Light Retired,Gallery retired,Koppen looking only mediocre,at least Connolly,Solder,Thomas,Cannon,Weems,Wendell,and every other addition haven't quit as of yet!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

When I looked I waS surprised to see it was not November but early August. I know... let's panic!

Guys, the Pats had a very very good O line last year and will have a very good one this year too. They have two solid Cs and a third as well. THey have 3 guys that can start at tackle and one of them, Solder, is likely the best pass protecting T the Pats have ever had. I expect Mankins and Waters back and they have 3 good backup O linemen. Will they possibly add another lineman? Yes, I would not be at all surprised. Especially at guard. Though Connolly, one of the Cs was really slated to play more guard I think then C originally. And he can do it.

Injuries are always a concern and depth is one of the things that has made BB teams so so good and adaptable.

Last thought, some teams are already losing people for the year. So far we have not (other than through retirement, not injury).