Re: Time to Seriously Talk FA
posted at 1/20/2014 4:01 AM EST
In response to rameakap's comment:
1. Center Alex Mack
- Goodbye Wendell, restructure Connelly and keep him as a backup. Brady needs a borderline all-pro to take snaps from as he ends his career.
- He wants to be here, they can make the deal incentive laden to save cap space so that should happen. Arrington should restructure as well or be told he will be cut as soon as it makes sense to do so. Dennard and Ryan have a lot of promise but as Broncos loss showed are not ready to be the 1/2 guys yet. Talib gets 1 more chance.
- Draft Ebron or Amaro if they are there at 30 of course, Ebron probably won't be. Maybe trade down a bit and take Seferian-Jenkins before the Falcons (Gonzalez retiring) pick like 37th. There are TE's from Cal and Iowa who would be worth 3rd rd picks. They need to get one by then. Scott Chandler a free agent? Terrible free agent class after Jimmy Graham, who will be tagged if not resigned (did you know we could have drafted him over Taylor Price and NEVER needed to take wonderlic and social test taking failure Aaron Hernandez in rd 4).
- SF will have to decide between Boldin and Gore. They can't keep both, team has some $ issues. Since they have a bunch of backup RB's with promise, including Lattimore fully recovered, Boldin will likely stay, but would be my pick on a 2 year deal and let Edelman walk, try Moe, Collie and maybe Boyce along with Amendola in the slot.
- If no Boldin than I'd go with Sanders or Tate for similar #2/3 WR cash and try to keep Edelman at a deal that pays him little in 2014 (when Amendola has a high cap #) and then pays him Amendola cash after that in the years after that when DA is cut. But with Collie and some young guys around there are bigger needs at WR is Edelman played himself into a Welker/Amendola contract.
- Raji is a BC guy and might take a discount for that. He had a terrible year. Not really sure what happened to him. When we cut Sopoaga we could maybe give him his 2-3 million but can't afford much more than that. I'd think Kelly, Siliga, Jones, Vellano and maybe an Armstead surprise contribution would be able to hold down the middle until Wilfork comes off the 6 week PUP. If the team gets wind that big Vince is done though than maybe address this position with a guy like Joseph, Soliai or McDonald in FA and address the middle of the O-line in the draft or get lucky and have a DE/DT like Tuitt drop to us in rd 1.
- Blount at 1-2 years 2-4 million. Not at 3+ years or 2+ million. He should be back. Be nice to draft a speedster for the kicking game to complement Ridley, Vareen and Develin and (if we keep Blount) dump Bolden.
- Gregory needs a restructure at a backup salary. Both Wilson's should be cut to save cash. Ebner is a solid special teams nickel safety. Harmon has promise but team would be wise to bring in a young thumper in the draft like Bailey or Loston to compete with him and give different looks.
- With Spikes 100% gone the team should look to play Collins and Hightower, who both have tons of promise, on the outside and Mayo inside. Jerod should restructure to help the team, but didn't have a lower body injury so he should be back to his tackling machine, smart, underappreciate self all over the middle of the field. Fletcher is a fine backup but I'd like to see another tall/fast athlete here like Yawin Smallwood or Shayne Skov.
1. I agree on the center. Wendell was garbage today.
2. How many chances does Talib get? He has ended his last four seasons injured. The good news is that he injury history will probably keep other teams away (again). If some one does bite and he gets priced out of what the Patriots are willing to pay it will be rough. Dennard as your number one guy is not a good defensive backfield.
3. TE anything for depth would be good at this point. After Gronk the next best TE was Hooman and he had 12 catches (remember in the preseason when a combination of Sudfeld, Ballard, Fells, and Ford were going to stop us from even missing Hernandez and Gronk to start the year).
4. Every guy you name (including Edelman and a 34 year old Boldin) are #2 guys on good teams. Despite Boldin's numbers this year, the 49ers struggled until Crabtree came back. Can they pay Edelman what they paid Amendola last year? No NFL player is going to take a back-end loaded contract. You get hurt and you get cut and you never see that money.
5. They need more than that on the D-line as well. Will Wilfork be the same guy he was at 33 coming off achilles surgery? The owe Sopoaga $6M over the next two years and he was inactive for both playoff games.
6. RB is not a problem. Ridley stays the number one back, Vereen is your pass catching guy, Bolden, Blount, some random veteran they find at cheap $$, and maybe a rookie fill out the roster.
7. Safety is still a problem on this team. Unlike others I am still not sold on McCourty being the number one guy back there (he needs to be paired with some one better than him). Gregory has been a below average player and none of the draft picks have worked out.
8. Collins, Mayo, and Hightower are a good trio. Fletcher is a solid back up. If (and this is a huge if) Hightower and Collins can both build on the end of this season, I think LB is the strongest position on the team next year.