Time to Use the Sledgehammer (Bolden) against sf and houston's tough defenses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Time to Use the Sledgehammer (Bolden) against sf and houston's tough defenses

dont want to beat uip riddley too much.

bolden is the sledgehammer

hope hes ready.

need to commit to run more 

ridley and vereen mixed in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Time to Use the Sledgehammer (Bolden) against sf and houston's tough defenses

Has he practiced yet? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Time to Use the Sledgehammer (Bolden) against sf and houston's tough defenses

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Has he practiced yet? 

[/QUOTE]

they dont practice till wed

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I know, haven't looked at the practice report in a few weeks, I was wondering if he was out there last week in a limited basis. We don't get much injury updates here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It'll be more important vs SF, but no one can figure out why the run game is abandoned early in games to begin with, regardless. It's not a revelation that this offense is unstoppable when the run is established and pedestrian when not.

Houston lives and dies by the blitz like Pittsburgh.  Bad matchup for Houston's D vs this offense. If Jonathan Joseph is out again and their 2 rookies start at CB, it will be a long night for Houston. Double Watt and just don't forget to the establish the run in the first half. NE could very easily win it going away.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah definitely, the nIners will be tough to throw on so the Pats need the running game to open things up. If they can contain Watt, which they should be able to Brady should pick apart the Texan defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

It'll be more important vs SF, but no one can figure out why the run game is abandoned early in games to begin with, regardless. It's not a revelation that this offense is unstoppable when the run is established and pedestrian when not.

Houston lives and dies by the blitz like Pittsburgh.  Bad matchup for Houston's D vs this offense. If Jonathan Joseph is out again and their 2 rookies start at CB, it will be a long night for Houston. Double Watt and just don't forget to the establish the run in the first half. NE could very easily win it going away.

[/QUOTE]

", but no one can figure out why the run game is abandoned early in games to begin with, regardless. :"

josh pass happy addiction forgets and thinks he can win with pass only, 5 wide.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

by the way, has this been you r moniker. i donet remember seeing it recently. and i really like your thoughts/thinking

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know, haven't looked at the practice report in a few weeks, I was wondering if he was out there last week in a limited basis. We don't get much injury updates here.

[/QUOTE]
    hey sporter, 

thanks for clarifying man.
    wasnt eligible to practice til this week

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

dont want to beat uip riddley too much.

bolden is the sledgehammer

hope hes ready.

need to commit to run more 

ridley and vereen mixed in.

[/QUOTE]

I agree! I liked what I saw from him early and lets hope he isnt in the dog house when he comes back. Ridley is very key to our playoff success , however now that Vareen has been playing some, he should be an option too. If they give him just 5 touches running and catching in the playoffs, its gonna open up a lot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agree I'd like to see a lot of Bolden and Ridely from this point forward... not like we haven't see a lot already, but it's time to start playing playoff football.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

is his suspension over?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I agree and i hope we don't use the game plan we had for the Dolphins....Brady almost didn't make it out of that game and the Texans have the WATT. Need to run the ball even if it is not getting 5 yards a gain. Need to keep a very efficient Texans offense off the field and win the T.O.P battle. This is going to be a great game. I'd also like us to use Vareen in some matchups against their olb's. Speed!!! Now that we do not have Gronk, or Edelman we really need to utilize the RB's in the passing game. 35 shotgun snaps last week with only 3 runs out of the gun and I think 3 targets to a RB...Not good

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Bolden is coming beack from injury and suspension (not sure it's even over yet) and was a spot runner used mainly when Ridley needed a breather or to close out games. I don't think Bolden is going to make a massive difference even if he does play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

thoughts on Bolden returning punts? With this depleted WR corps, I hate to see Wes back there risking further depletion

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Bolden muffed two punts in the preseason from what I remember.  He didn't look confident doing it.  I'd rather put Stallworth or Woodhead back there, or anyone who can at least catch it.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Yes, his suuspension is over. It would be nice to see him pound it a few times, but the game plan may be more like that of Miami than we like only because Houstons secondary is suspect due to injuries to staters. Pass protection needs to be there to open up the recievers and make them respect Brady's pocket presence, Houston also blitzes alot, and we all know who can shred a blitzing "D",I believe these factors will all play into liberal use of the no-huddle and more running play toward the end of the game to eat clock, and wear them down! This is only my opinion and wishful thinking, but I though it sounded reasonable,that said, I want to see ablow out!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

thoughts on Bolden returning punts? With this depleted WR corps, I hate to see Wes back there risking further depletion

[/QUOTE]

kickoffs to spell # 32?,  yes. Punt returns? ...Just put Wes back there for a fair catch. Not worth the risk in playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to NESportnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, his suuspension is over. It would be nice to see him pound it a few times, but the game plan may be more like that of Miami than we like only because Houstons secondary is suspect due to injuries to staters. Pass protection needs to be there to open up the recievers and make them respect Brady's pocket presence, Houston also blitzes alot, and we all know who can shred a blitzing "D",I believe these factors will all play into liberal use of the no-huddle and more running play toward the end of the game to eat clock, and wear them down! This is only my opinion and wishful thinking, but I though it sounded reasonable,that said, I want to see ablow out!!!!

[/QUOTE]

One of the best ways to kill a blitzing team is to run the ball. Look at what the Giants did to us when we spread the ball. They had an ok secondary but nothing special. I'm thinking a lot of draws with Ridley and Vereen and PA to defeat a blitzing team. We finally have the right tools lets use them and not revert back to a spread O vs a blitzing D and get killed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Why is Bolden a sledgehammer???????

He's smaller than Ridley, and has a more slashing running style.

At any rate, Texas' defense can be had by running. 

The big thing I'm worried about is if NEs defense will be able to get itself off the field. If they spend half their time getting run over while the offense sits on its cold hands, it's going to be a long day.

Need 3 & outs ... need 3rd down stops .... need to do well on 1st down D ... and need early forced turnovers ... not garbage time turnovers. 

This has to be a statement game for the defense because they haven't played an offense in the Texans' league yet this season. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I agree strongly.  This game will likely be won or lost on 3rd downs.  Also, I'd be suprised if Bolden had more than 10 carries in this game since it's his first game back.

[QUOTE]

The big thing I'm worried about is if NEs defense will be able to get itself off the field. If they spend half their time getting run over while the offense sits on its cold hands, it's going to be a long day.

Need 3 & outs ... need 3rd down stops .... need to do well on 1st down D ... and need early forced turnovers ... not garbage time turnovers. 

This has to be a statement game for the defense because they haven't played an offense in the Texans' league yet this season. 

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One of the best ways to kill a blitzing team is to run the ball. Look at what the Giants did to us when we spread the ball. They had an ok secondary but nothing special. I'm thinking a lot of draws with Ridley and Vereen and PA to defeat a blitzing team. We finally have the right tools lets use them and not revert back to a spread O vs a blitzing D and get killed

[/QUOTE]

Giants get pressure without blitzing, they send four and maintain a four man front. It's apples and oranges.

Brady, iirc, has a 125 passer rating against the blitz .... so it's a real tough sell that a "spread O" can't defeat a "blitzing D."

The spread was invented because it counters the blitz so well by increasing the horizontal space and letting the offense 'work around' target the holes wher pressure is coming from. Teams that need to blitz NE to get pressure are the ideal candidates to go with an 11 package or spread setup, it's where they are so lethal with it. 

Now, when a team can get interior pressure with only four rushers, then the spread is not necessarily ideal, because there will actually be players waiting in pass defense. 

Blitzing is a zero sum game in some ways. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree strongly.  This game will likely be won or lost on 3rd downs.  Also, I'd be suprised if Bolden had more than 10 carries in this game since it's his first game back.

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For the offense I think the trick will be efficiency on first down. Whether they are passing or running, Texas isn't a team you want to strand yourself in 3rd and long. Moreover, 2nd and long and third and long kind of pigeon hole you into passing ... essentially flattening your playbook.

That can work against teams that cannot bring pressure or defend the pass, but it's not going to be so easy converting 3rd and 8 over and over again against Texas. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Foster is a bum. He averages 3.9 ypc behind what is widley accepted to be a top 3 O-line in football year after year(Shanny and Kubiaks zone blocking scheme). We should only be worried if they feed him the ball 30 times.....oh, they do feed him the ball 30 times. Damn.

Heck that doesn't matter much, the run game is over rated and will have no impact on Houstons ability to stay on the field. I mean if their lead back can't get to 4 ypc then they shouldn't be running him this many times. He has nothing to do with them being the 2nd best offense in the game right now, and the 4rth fewest turnovers in the game.

Maybe we should run Ridley 30 times on Monday night? But only if its working right off the bat, otherwise we should just throw the heck out of the ball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Giants get pressure without blitzing, they send four and maintain a four man front. It's apples and oranges.

Brady, iirc, has a 125 passer rating against the blitz .... so it's a real tough sell that a "spread O" can't defeat a "blitzing D."

The spread was invented because it counters the blitz so well by increasing the horizontal space and letting the offense 'work around' target the holes wher pressure is coming from. Teams that need to blitz NE to get pressure are the ideal candidates to go with an 11 package or spread setup, it's where they are so lethal with it. 

Now, when a team can get interior pressure with only four rushers, then the spread is not necessarily ideal, because there will actually be players waiting in pass defense. 

Blitzing is a zero sum game in some ways. 

[/QUOTE]

This is true when you have a fully functioning receiving core but they are realistically down to 3 options at receiver. Lloyd, Welker, Hern. None of the RB's show a great pention to remain affective in the spread and are better used as spot receivers. None of the TE's other then Hern have shown to be affective out as receivers. Stallworth is basically your only other option at WR and he's just coming back, throwing him directly into a spread could be a tremendous mistake. If Edelman or Gronk weren't injured then you'd have a stronger case but given how the OL was handled against Mia's rush and that Welker and Hern have trouble with initial separation from press coverage tossing Brady into a spread without a full compliment of receivers is a losing bet. Now in a hurry up with say Woodhead or Vereen in the backfield and Hern in tight to flex to a RB if you go completely spread you could catch Hou off balance preventing press coverage with the threat of a slip screen or outside toss leaving plenty of green space for the ball carrier. But, I'd still mix it up with a lot of draws and PA's. Their secondary has proven to be very flawed against the PA and have trouble tackling once the RB gets into the second level