Time to Use the Sledgehammer (Bolden) against sf and houston's tough defenses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Time to Use the Sledgehammer (Bolden) against sf and houston's tough defenses

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Foster is a bum. He averages 3.9 ypc behind what is widley accepted to be a top 3 O-line in football year after year(Shanny and Kubiaks zone blocking scheme). We should only be worried if they feed him the ball 30 times.....oh, they do feed him the ball 30 times. Damn.

Heck that doesn't matter much, the run game is over rated and will have no impact on Houstons ability to stay on the field. I mean if their lead back can't get to 4 ypc then they shouldn't be running him this many times. He has nothing to do with them being the 2nd best offense in the game right now, and the 4rth fewest turnovers in the game.

Maybe we should run Ridley 30 times on Monday night? But only if its working right off the bat, otherwise we should just throw the heck out of the ball.

[/QUOTE]

I think that may have a bit to do with teams focusing on him and putting extra men in the box...ijs

Dude is NO Bum...Numbers dont always tell the story....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Time to Use the Sledgehammer (Bolden) against sf and houston's tough defenses

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to NESportnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, his suuspension is over. It would be nice to see him pound it a few times, but the game plan may be more like that of Miami than we like only because Houstons secondary is suspect due to injuries to staters. Pass protection needs to be there to open up the recievers and make them respect Brady's pocket presence, Houston also blitzes alot, and we all know who can shred a blitzing "D",I believe these factors will all play into liberal use of the no-huddle and more running play toward the end of the game to eat clock, and wear them down! This is only my opinion and wishful thinking, but I though it sounded reasonable,that said, I want to see ablow out!!!!

[/QUOTE]

One of the best ways to kill a blitzing team is to run the ball. Look at what the Giants did to us when we spread the ball. They had an ok secondary but nothing special. I'm thinking a lot of draws with Ridley and Vereen and PA to defeat a blitzing team. We finally have the right tools lets use them and not revert back to a spread O vs a blitzing D and get killed

[/QUOTE]

Giants get pressure without blitzing, they send four and maintain a four man front. It's apples and oranges.

Brady, iirc, has a 125 passer rating against the blitz .... so it's a real tough sell that a "spread O" can't defeat a "blitzing D."

The spread was invented because it counters the blitz so well by increasing the horizontal space and letting the offense 'work around' target the holes wher pressure is coming from. Teams that need to blitz NE to get pressure are the ideal candidates to go with an 11 package or spread setup, it's where they are so lethal with it. 

Now, when a team can get interior pressure with only four rushers, then the spread is not necessarily ideal, because there will actually be players waiting in pass defense. 

Blitzing is a zero sum game in some ways. 

[/QUOTE]

This is true when you have a fully functioning receiving core but they are realistically down to 3 options at receiver. Lloyd, Welker, Hern. None of the RB's show a great pention to remain affective in the spread and are better used as spot receivers. None of the TE's other then Hern have shown to be affective out as receivers. Stallworth is basically your only other option at WR and he's just coming back, throwing him directly into a spread could be a tremendous mistake. If Edelman or Gronk weren't injured then you'd have a stronger case but given how the OL was handled against Mia's rush and that Welker and Hern have trouble with initial separation from press coverage tossing Brady into a spread without a full compliment of receivers is a losing bet. Now in a hurry up with say Woodhead or Vereen in the backfield and Hern in tight to flex to a RB if you go completely spread you could catch Hou off balance preventing press coverage with the threat of a slip screen or outside toss leaving plenty of green space for the ball carrier. But, I'd still mix it up with a lot of draws and PA's. Their secondary has proven to be very flawed against the PA and have trouble tackling once the RB gets into the second level

[/QUOTE]

I think Vereen is the guy to use in the single back ... who can flex to WR. 

But you are correct ... NE doesn't really have the talent right now to run spread anyhow unless they get creative.

Their best bet is to stick with single back and run Hernandez like a WR like they did last week. Mix in a little 2TE. Try and run at Watt and the others.  

Without Gronk it is a pinch ... because he runs inside routes often when they do it. 

They routinely flex Woodhead out, its part of the reason he gets playing time so often. But I think Vereen looks more natural there.

At any rate ... given the health of Ne's WR corps ... they need to lean on their RBs. No Gronk = game plan changes. 

It's too bad, because he is such an amazing combo TE. He helps make the running game work and he helps make the passing game work. After Brady, he is the team's MVP imo. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

Foster is a bum. He averages 3.9 ypc behind what is widley accepted to be a top 3 O-line in football year after year(Shanny and Kubiaks zone blocking scheme). We should only be worried if they feed him the ball 30 times.....oh, they do feed him the ball 30 times. Damn.

Heck that doesn't matter much, the run game is over rated and will have no impact on Houstons ability to stay on the field. I mean if their lead back can't get to 4 ypc then they shouldn't be running him this many times. He has nothing to do with them being the 2nd best offense in the game right now, and the 4rth fewest turnovers in the game.

Maybe we should run Ridley 30 times on Monday night? But only if its working right off the bat, otherwise we should just throw the heck out of the ball.

[/QUOTE]

See. You misunderstand the whole nature of running. Coaches don't fix an arbitrary number of runs man.

If they aren't running the ball becaue it isn't working on first down, they are doing it because they are in tons of 3rd and longs. 

Not because they "give up". 

Playcalling is situation specific ... you don't run running backs when you are down 10 points with 2 mintues to go, and you don't call for a sweep play on 3rd and 9. 

NE needs to run the ball effectively to run the ball more often .... like any other team in football. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

See. You misunderstand the whole nature of running. Coaches don't fix an arbitrary number of runs man.

If they aren't running the ball becaue it isn't working on first down, they are doing it because they are in tons of 3rd and longs. 

Playcalling is situation specific ... you don't run running backs when you are down 10 points with 2 mintues to go, and you don't call for a sweep play on 3rd and 9. 

NE needs to run the ball effectively to run the ball more often .... like any other team in football. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand that we probably would have lost this game on Sunday if we did not start pounding the rock for the 7 minute 16 play drive. If this was last season, or the season before, or the season before, we would have continued to pass against a defense that was obviously dedicated to limiting it, and continued to put our defense in a tough situation. Due to our new found "commitment" to the run we were able to break the Fins will by running it down their throats despite them being a tough run D.

As Reiss continues to show below we realized the error of our ways and have dedicated our selves to running more.

In order to run more effectively, you must first try to run period. Talent needs opportunity.

On the season, when including penalties, the Patriots have been in the shotgun 46.6 percent of the time (428 of 918). That is a lower percentage than the norm and reflects, from this view, a commitment to the running game that hasn't been as consistent in the past. It paid off on the final drive against the Dolphins.

Brady & the shotgun tracker December, 5, 2012 Dec 5 9:00 AM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com Continuing to monitor the trend of Brady and the shotgun snap -- which has been utilized less this season than past years -- let's update the numbers after Sunday's win over the Dolphins:

Usage of the shotgun
    at Dolphins: 35 of 79 (3 runs, 32 passes)
    at Jets: 20 of 68 (2 runs, 16 passes, 2 Jets pre-snap penalties)
    vs. Colts: 21 of 61 (0 runs, 21 passes)
    vs. Bills: 38 of 72 (6 runs, 32 passes)
    at Rams: 36 of 69 (4 runs, 32 passes)
    vs. Jets: 42 of 80 (6 runs, 36 passes)
    at Seahawks: 60 of 87 (7 runs, 52 passes, 1 false start)
    vs. Broncos:
    45 of 94 (7 runs, 37 passes, 1 false start)
    at Bills: 30 of 77 (6 runs, 24 passes)
    at Ravens: 41 of 82 (6 runs, 34 passes, 1 fumbled snap)
    vs. Cardinals: 47 of 82 (9 runs, 38 passes)
    at Titans: 13 of 67 (0 runs, 13 passes)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that may have a bit to do with teams focusing on him and putting extra men in the box...ijs

Dude is NO Bum...Numbers dont always tell the story....

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just being a sarcastic prikk. I was trying to portray to some people here that just because a guy averages under 4 ypc doesn't mean he is not an effective runner or that you should abandon your run game and go with a one dimensional offense...like we did here for the majority of the past 5 years....barring 2008 when due to a Brady injury we were the 4rth best rushing team in the LG despite having 1 of the worst RB cores in the LG.

Not to worry though. BB brought back McDaniels and a commitment to running the football. Which is why we lead the LG in rushing td's and are still at least top 5 in passing tds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree I'd like to see a lot of Bolden and Ridely from this point forward... not like we haven't see a lot already, but it's time to start playing playoff football.

[/QUOTE]

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree and i hope we don't use the game plan we had for the Dolphins....Brady almost didn't make it out of that game and the Texans have the WATT. Need to run the ball even if it is not getting 5 yards a gain. Need to keep a very efficient Texans offense off the field and win the T.O.P battle. This is going to be a great game. I'd also like us to use Vareen in some matchups against their olb's. Speed!!! Now that we do not have Gronk, or Edelman we really need to utilize the RB's in the passing game. 35 shotgun snaps last week with only 3 runs out of the gun and I think 3 targets to a RB...Not good

[/QUOTE]

exactly

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Bolden is coming beack from injury and suspension (not sure it's even over yet) and was a spot runner used mainly when Ridley needed a breather or to close out games. I don't think Bolden is going to make a massive difference even if he does play.

[/QUOTE]

well i disagree completely. he did make a massive difference in the games they gave him good reps in. he bludgeoneed teams. it was wonderful to see them interchang him and riidley, both doing damage with their particular skill sets. as i reported here and elsewhere, the suspension is over and hes eligible to practice. they also have a week exemption for him to practice before they activate him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

thoughts on Bolden returning punts? With this depleted WR corps, I hate to see Wes back there risking further depletion

[/QUOTE]

i do not see nor would i put him in for that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, his suuspension is over. It would be nice to see him pound it a few times, but the game plan may be more like that of Miami than we like only because Houstons secondary is suspect due to injuries to staters. Pass protection needs to be there to open up the recievers and make them respect Brady's pocket presence, Houston also blitzes alot, and we all know who can shred a blitzing "D",I believe these factors will all play into liberal use of the no-huddle and more running play toward the end of the game to eat clock, and wear them down! This is only my opinion and wishful thinking, but I though it sounded reasonable,that said, I want to see ablow out!!!!

[/QUOTE]

yes a blow out will be nice

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One of the best ways to kill a blitzing team is to run the ball. Look at what the Giants did to us when we spread the ball. They had an ok secondary but nothing special. I'm thinking a lot of draws with Ridley and Vereen and PA to defeat a blitzing team. We finally have the right tools lets use them and not revert back to a spread O vs a blitzing D and get killed

[/QUOTE]

exactly!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Why is Bolden a sledgehammer???????

He's smaller than Ridley, and has a more slashing running style.

At any rate, Texas' defense can be had by running. 

The big thing I'm worried about is if NEs defense will be able to get itself off the field. If they spend half their time getting run over while the offense sits on its cold hands, it's going to be a long day.

Need 3 & outs ... need 3rd down stops .... need to do well on 1st down D ... and need early forced turnovers ... not garbage time turnovers. 

This has to be a statement game for the defense because they haven't played an offense in the Texans' league yet this season. 

[/QUOTE]
    re
    "Why is Bolden a sledgehammer???????"

did you watch the games he played substantial reps. i dont care his weight. i saw him run. that was his effect on other teams. he ran into and through the other teams players. and was more substantial in this way than ridley.

agree with the rest of your post

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree strongly.  This game will likely be won or lost on 3rd downs.  Also, I'd be suprised if Bolden had more than 10 carries in this game since it's his first game back.

[QUOTE]

Why is Bolden a sledgehammer???????

He's smaller than Ridley, and has a more slashing running style.

At any rate, Texas' defense can be had by running. 

The big thing I'm worried about is if NEs defense will be able to get itself off the field. If they spend half their time getting run over while the offense sits on its cold hands, it's going to be a long day.

Need 3 & outs ... need 3rd down stops .... need to do well on 1st down D ... and need early forced turnovers ... not garbage time turnovers. 

This has to be a statement game for the defense because they haven't played an offense in the Texans' league yet this season. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

7-15 depending on what the game calls for would be fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Dumb question...if Bodden was suspended for performance enhancing drugs, what is he going to play like when he's not on performance enhancing drugs??

Or was he not suspended for performance enhancing drugs? Let me guess his agent told everyone it was just a simple misunderstanding regarding a little bit of ADD medication. Took it by mistake.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

dont want to beat uip riddley too much.

bolden is the sledgehammer

hope hes ready.

need to commit to run more 

ridley and vereen mixed in.

[/QUOTE]

So what do we call this dynamic duo?

Smash & Dash?

Weapons Of Grass Destruction?

Slash & Bash? (that's corny!) lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'd rather see Vereen get the carries.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dang...forgot all about him tcal2. I just posted in another thread about this three headed rushing attack we have in Ridley, Bolden & Woodhead.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It'll be more important vs SF, but no one can figure out why the run game is abandoned early in games to begin with, regardless. It's not a revelation that this offense is unstoppable when the run is established and pedestrian when not.

Houston lives and dies by the blitz like Pittsburgh.  Bad matchup for Houston's D vs this offense. If Jonathan Joseph is out again and their 2 rookies start at CB, it will be a long night for Houston. Double Watt and just don't forget to the establish the run in the first half. NE could very easily win it going away.

[/QUOTE]

The Pats creamed Pitt two years ago by passing it early and often. Therefore if Houston is like Pitt (that Pitt team went to the superbowl) it seems to me the running game should be a decoy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand that we probably would have lost this game on Sunday if we did not start pounding the rock for the 7 minute 16 play drive. If this was last season, or the season before, or the season before, we would have continued to pass against a defense that was obviously dedicated to limiting it, and continued to put our defense in a tough situation. Due to our new found "commitment" to the run we were able to break the Fins will by running it down their throats despite them being a tough run D.

As Reiss continues to show below we realized the error of our ways and have dedicated our selves to running more.

In order to run more effectively, you must first try to run period. Talent needs opportunity.

On the season, when including penalties, the Patriots have been in the shotgun 46.6 percent of the time (428 of 918). That is a lower percentage than the norm and reflects, from this view, a commitment to the running game that hasn't been as consistent in the past. It paid off on the final drive against the Dolphins.

Brady & the shotgun tracker December, 5, 2012 Dec 5 9:00 AM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

Continuing to monitor the trend of Brady and the shotgun snap -- which has been utilized less this season than past years -- let's update the numbers after Sunday's win over the Dolphins:

Usage of the shotgun
    at Dolphins: 35 of 79 (3 runs, 32 passes)
    at Jets: 20 of 68 (2 runs, 16 passes, 2 Jets pre-snap penalties)
    vs. Colts: 21 of 61 (0 runs, 21 passes)
    vs. Bills: 38 of 72 (6 runs, 32 passes)
    at Rams: 36 of 69 (4 runs, 32 passes)
    vs. Jets: 42 of 80 (6 runs, 36 passes)
    at Seahawks: 60 of 87 (7 runs, 52 passes, 1 false start)
    vs. Broncos:
    45 of 94 (7 runs, 37 passes, 1 false start)
    at Bills: 30 of 77 (6 runs, 24 passes)
    at Ravens: 41 of 82 (6 runs, 34 passes, 1 fumbled snap)
    vs. Cardinals: 47 of 82 (9 runs, 38 passes)
    at Titans: 13 of 67 (0 runs, 13 passes)

[/QUOTE]

1.) The Pats run from shotgun. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. They've also had more 4 wide setups this season than any time since, well, McDaniels left. What does that prove??

2.) If the first run or couple of runs on that drive had been for one or two yards ... they would have passed the football ... BECAUSE they would have HAD TO. That is how football works. You don't give up on a drive or a set of downs to "prove that your are going to run it." You run the play that can get you a first down. In 3rd and long ... that's a pass. Get it? 

Your post ... I mean ... it doesn't even logically follow from what I was saying... even as a disagreement. It just doesn't follow. Seriously. It's almost a waste of time talking about it. 

Man. Football doesn't work the way you seem to think it works. Sorry. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dumb question...if Bodden was suspended for performance enhancing drugs, what is he going to play like when he's not on performance enhancing drugs??

Or was he not suspended for performance enhancing drugs? Let me guess his agent told everyone it was just a simple misunderstanding regarding a little bit of ADD medication. Took it by mistake.

[/QUOTE]

if it were steroids, the effects wont be gone overnight.

if he wanted more size and strength he could have doen hgh. they dondt test.

who knows. 

some of these offenses ii imagine can easily be for things that are not peds (or not thought to be) at all, over the counter meds, some supplement formulas,etc. i doubt they are all (players across the league) using steroids and not using masking agents well enough to not get caught. stupid to use them, even more stupid to get caught (not use masking agents well). 

(we knwo you mean bolden)

spikes has done well since hes off "adderall" (or gotten prescription?)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

vereen needs to be on the field as well. a few carries to maintain the threat to defenses we will run him, but more to get the ball to him in space 9esp wiht edelman gone.

but he is not the feature back ridley is.

or the bruising steamroller bolden is.