Tired of Tebow

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tired of Tebow

The media's infactuation with the Tim Tebow saga in Denver is both boring, and tiring. It's taking on a life similar to the Brett Favre retirement fiasco. Please...spare us the Tim Tebow all the time BS! No one really cares. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Tired of Tebow

agreed, I wish him the best of luck, but all this coverage is unbelievably obnoxious.  Just this past week, the Saints hung 60 on a team, Aaron Rodgers is basically doing whatever he wants, Stafford and Ryan both get dinged....Yet this is what 80% of the media coverage goes to??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I agree.  But I think they should just lay off the guy.  He is a good kid, positive attitude and just out there trying to win games.  Way too much focus on him.  Sure he isn't great, sure they say his mechanics just aren't there of a elite NFL QB, but the kid is a winner, let him do his thing and see what he can make of his career. 

I met the guy in person and I gotta say he is a great guy, very positive and likeable dude, not a show off, not a thug, just a down to earth guy.  Feel bad for all the criticism he is getting.  Give the kid a chance! I like the guy, hope he succeeds and makes all these people eat their words!!

They want to talk mechanics, look at how Philip Rivers throws the ball.  Worst throwing form I have ever seen, looks like he is throwing a shot put.  The journalist and such should focus more on the choke artists out there, the Romo's, the Rivers, the Flaco's and let Tebow do his thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I do wish Tebow the best of luck too.  Honestly, I think the kids a geek.. but whatever - that just my opinion and no one cares.

Pats go to mile high Dec 18th.... so we'll just see how good he is on that day.  Any other Sunday, I could care less!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

In Response to Re: Tired of Tebow:
    [QUOTE]They want to talk mechanics, look at how Philip Rivers throws the ball.  
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

I think the difference here is that Philip Rivers' mechanics are bizarre, but he gets the ball out quickly and accurately.  If I remember the knock on Tebow's mechanics coming out of Florida it was that his release was too slow so that he has to hold the ball longer than most when he makes a decision because his motion is so elongated.  Also there were questions about his accuracy.  I think he deserves a shot as well (Denver has to see what they have since the team is in full rebuild mode), but I think the mechanical criticisms aren't  unjustified.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Who was the last guy to win the Heisman who actually did anything in the NFL?

Rod Woodson?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

[QUOTE]Who was the last guy to win the Heisman who actually did anything in the NFL? Rod Woodson?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Carson Palmer?  It's true that he hasn't been the same player since the injury in the playoffs vs Pitt, but he's still been a pretty good QB for a while.  The verdict is still out on Sam Bradford, but he showed some decent skills last year although he may have regressed this year.  Also I think you mean Charles not Rod.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Who was the last guy to win the Heisman who actually did anything in the NFL? Rod Woodson?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

doug flutie...at least he has his own cereal

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I agree.  But I think they should just lay off the guy.  He is a good kid, positive attitude and just out there trying to win games.  Way too much focus on him.  Sure he isn't great, sure they say his mechanics just aren't there of a elite NFL QB, but the kid is a winner, let him do his thing and see what he can make of his career.  I met the guy in person and I gotta say he is a great guy, very positive and likeable dude, not a show off, not a thug, just a down to earth guy.  Feel bad for all the criticism he is getting.  Give the kid a chance! I like the guy, hope he succeeds and makes all these people eat their words!! They want to talk mechanics, look at how Philip Rivers throws the ball.  Worst throwing form I have ever seen, looks like he is throwing a shot put.  The journalist and such should focus more on the choke artists out there, the Romo's, the Rivers, the Flaco's and let Tebow do his thing.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

I wish the kid well too, except, of course, against the Patriots. But, enough is enough! He plays for a 2-5 team, that's going nowhere. Though I admire his work ethic, and what he did in college, how many QBs have we've seen whose college skills aren't conducive to playing in the pros? 

Tebow is tailor-made for the CFL. The best thing that he can do for himself is to go the Doug Flutie/Warren Moon route...and hone his skills there. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Somebody in AFC is gonna get Luck. Will he get as much press as Tebow ? This kid is likeable, but dangerously overated (if Broncos fans think he's their saviour).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

99.9% of articles I've seen on this kid have been about how he doesn't have the skills to be an NFL QB and the writer is just running a "counterpoint" to all the supposed hype about how great he will be. But then the question is- Who are they countering? Everyone is saying the same things. I don't know how everyone in the world is now sure they know what it takes to be an NFL QB. I've yet to hear an expert who can predict QB greatness more than about 1 time in 1000. I think it sounds like a lot of mental master bation how everyone is now parroting each other on his throwing motion (all of a sudden every armchair QB knows NFL throwing motions, something QBs hire coaches to help them with) People act like the kid couldn't play for a Pop Warner team. He is one of the greatest QBs in college football history it's preposterous to suggest he couldn't be at least as good as half of the garbage QBs starting on NFL teams today. So far all we know is he got a shot, threw 2 TDs to win, not lose. He may be out of the NFL in 2 years like a bunch of other QBs or he may get better. We'll see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]99.9% of articles I've seen on this kid have been about how he doesn't have the skills to be an NFL QB and the writer is just running a "counterpoint" to all the supposed hype about how great he will be. But then the question is- Who are they countering? Everyone is saying the same things. I don't know how everyone in the world is now sure they know what it takes to be an NFL QB. I've yet to hear an expert who can predict QB greatness more than about 1 time in 1000. I think it sounds like a lot of mental master bation how everyone is now parroting each other on his throwing motion (all of a sudden every armchair QB knows NFL throwing motions, something QBs hire coaches to help them with) People act like the kid couldn't play for a Pop Warner team. He is one of the greatest QBs in college football history it's preposterous to suggest he couldn't be at least as good as half of the garbage QBs starting on NFL teams today. So far all we know is he got a shot, threw 2 TDs to win, not lose. He may be out of the NFL in 2 years like a bunch of other QBs or he may get better. We'll see.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I tend to disagree about "how anybody knows what makes a great NFL QB". I  remember seeing Aaron Rodgers play in relief of Brett Favre in Dallas...and a blind man could see that Rodgers had the goods.

The guy that has surprised me is Cam Newton. He always had raw talent...but never showed the passing accuracy in college that he's thus far displayed in the pros.

Getting back to Tebow, his passing mechanics are Joe Kapp like awful. But, Kapp had that drive inside...and was a leader. But, Kapp also was surrounded by lots of talent, and a great defense. Tebow has none of those things.

For those of you who don't know who I'm talking about, or don't remember Kapp...here's a bio on him. The Pats' acquired him as a free agent from the Vikings in 1970 for two (2) first round picks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kapp

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

One of the greatest QBs of college football?  By what standard?  I'm a Gator, and while I was happy he helped them get a championship, I winced when I watched him throw.  He was definitely only a part of why they won. Good leader, yeah, I guess.  Dearly lacks form and IQ? You better believe it. 

The only reason he is getting this much hype is because a large portion of NFL consumers are Christian Conservatives, as well as a large portion of the corporate executives making the decisions to buy ad spots in the game broadcasts.  Same for the people of Colorado.  The sports media know Tebow is good for business.

But the U.S. is largely a meritocracy.  The Tebow hype flies in the face of that ideology.  This is why so many take exception to the hype.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

The media will continue their love affair with Tebow until he fails. Then they'll turn on him like a pack of dogs eating one of their own injured.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Sam Bradford had a pretty nice rookie year. Unfortunately the injury bug got a hold of him so far this year

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tired of Tebow :      I tend to disagree about "how anybody knows what makes a great NFL QB". I  remember seeing Aaron Rodgers play in relief of Brett Favre in Dallas...and a blind man could see that Rodgers had the goods.      The guy that has surprised me is Cam Newton. He always had raw talent...but never showed the passing accuracy in college that he's thus far displayed in the pros.      Getting back to Tebow, his passing mechanics are Joe Kapp like awful. But, Kapp had that drive inside...and was a leader. But, Kapp also was surrounded by lots of talent, and a great defense. Tebow has none of those things.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Yes but the same blind man could see that Leaf, Flacco, Ryan, Orton, Quinn, Bradford, that guy in Jax, and on and on had the goods to be great at one point. Say enough people are good you are bound to get it right eventually. I'm sure you'll tell me you knew this guy but not that guy or whatever but frankly I'm not going to believe you. After watching the NFL executives and paid experts get it wrong 10x more times than they get it right id be willing to bet that if you could predict QB greatness out of College with any kind of decent accuracy (one in 5 maybe) then you would be well compensated for that ability by someone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Tired of Tebow:
    [QUOTE]     The media's infactuation with the Tim Tebow saga in Denver is both boring, and tiring. It's taking on a life similar to the Brett Favre retirement fiasco. Please...spare us the Tim Tebow all the time BS! No one really cares. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Hate to break it to you, but if no one cared they wouldn't be talking about it.  They talk about it because it is an extremely polarizing, divisive issue.  It isn't going away anytime soon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tired of Tebow : Sam Bradford had a pretty nice rookie year. Unfortunately the injury bug got a hold of him so far this year
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

The injury bug, and playing on a terrible team...have done him in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]To me Newton should be talked about more. Kid is unbelievable.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    Good point and I agree!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]One of the greatest QBs of college football?  By what standard?  I'm a Gator, and while I was happy he helped them get a championship, I winced when I watched him throw.  He was definitely only a part of why they won. Good leader, yeah, I guess.  Dearly lacks form and IQ? You better believe it.  The only reason he is getting this much hype is because a large portion of NFL consumers are Christian Conservatives, as well as a large portion of the corporate executives making the decisions to buy ad spots in the game broadcasts.  Same for the people of Colorado.  The sports media know Tebow is good for business. But the U.S. is largely a meritocracy.  The Tebow hype flies in the face of that ideology.  This is why so many take exception to the hype.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

By what standard? Wins, TDs awards-pick one. The idea that the NFL is largely made up of Christian Conservatives is a bunch of bull. There are far more non conservative Christians than conservative ones meaning it's much more likely he's disliked for his beliefs than liked (which is clearly the case). But even more likely than either that people don't know or care about his religious beliefs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tired of Tebow : Yes but the same blind man could see that Leaf,

RESPONSE: The Chargers have admitted to failing to do their homework on Leaf. Had they done so, they would have discovered what a jerk he truly was. This is not the case with Tebow. If Tebow had Leaf's physical abilities, he'd be a star;

Flacco,

RESPONSE: The jury is still out on him, as we saw last night. 

Ryan,

RESPONSE: After seeing him play several times for BC, his talent was readily apparent.

Orton,

RESPONSE: Orton was, I believe, a 4th round pick. He is what he is...a decent NFL QB.

Quinn,

RESPONSE: Quinn was lots of hype. But, the league was on to him, as he dropped, relatively speaking, far down the 2007 draft board

Bradford,

RESPONSE: Bradford is the real deal. But, he needs help. Jim Plunkett was the real deal years ago for the Pats. But, until he played on a good team, his talents never came to light.

that guy in Jax,

RESPONSE: Too early to tell with him.

and on and on had the goods to be great at one point. Say enough people are good you are bound to get it right eventually. I'm sure you'll tell me you knew this guy but not that guy or whatever but frankly I'm not going to believe you.

RESPONSE: That wounds me deeply...LOL!! In the case of Tebow, there's no question that we're talking about a hard worker, a leader...but a guy who doesn't presently have the passing skills to be a good NFL QB. The guy should have never been taken with a first round pick. He's too much of a project. It would be better for him if he were a back-up on a good team...or playing in the CFL.   

After watching the NFL executives and paid experts get it wrong 10x more times than they get it right id be willing to bet that if you could predict QB greatness out of College with any kind of decent accuracy (one in 5 maybe) then you would be well compensated for that ability by someone.

RESPONSE: Well...if their right just 10-20% of the time, NFL for them will mean "Not For Long". Team's can ill afford to miss on first round picks, and especially on top 5 picks.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I think the story is interesting and don't see that it has much similarity to Favre.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Tired of Tebow yet here we are talking about him...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

According to polling, 25% of Americans consider themselves "Evangelical Christian".  Now that's just the Evangelicals.  Then you you have Pentacostals, Southern Baptists...

I lived in the Midwest, CA, The South and R.I.  There are a lot more Conservative Christians in the U.S. than I think most New Englanders realize. Outside of the major urban areas (and yet even within pockets of them, too, like parts of the Southside of Chicago), most of the country in those areas are occupied by Christian Conservatives. Census, polling and voting data bear this out. I am not making this up.

But I didn't claim "most" or "a majority", but "largely", meaning a large or significant portion.  Maybe you have been missing the subtext, but yeah, Tebow's most ardent supporters fall into the Christian Conservative demographic.  

As for the advertisers, if you have worked within corporate America for any reasonable duration, you will have noticed that there is a large portion of upper-level corporate America that is feverently, conservatively Christian, in almost a cult-like way. I have witnessed it first-hand in both small and large corportations.  They use their churches and religious affiliations to business network.   Right now, Tebow is their "savior", as somebody else put it here. He is their Great White Hope of this time.  That's why their beyond-rational support for him is noteworthy.

Tebow benefitted from an excellent running game, coach, defense and more at Florida.  I gave him due credit for his drive and leadership.  But you can give that credit to literally hundreds of players in the NFL who are more talented and deserving of acclaim than is Tebow.  What he lacks in IQ and fundementals will keep him from ultimate success in the NFL. And thus it will keep his team and mates from success, too.  Is that fair?