Titans to Release RB Chris Johnson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Titans to Release RB Chris Johnson

After five very good-at times great years in Tennessee, RB Chris Johnson showed signed of deteriorating last year, averaging just 3.9 yards per run. With Johnson schedued to earn $8mil. this year, the Titans are cutting the cord: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/04/titans-release-chris-johnson/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Titans to Release RB Chris Johnson

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

After five very good-at times great years in Tennessee, RB Chris Johnson showed signed of deteriorating last year, averaging just 3.9 yards per run. With Johnson schedued to earn $8mil. this year, the Titans are cutting the cord: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/04/titans-release-chris-johnson/

[/QUOTE]

Lets kick those Dubs!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I wanted Moreno!

Johnson wouldn't be a good fit with the Pats, not a good pass blocker and the Pats really value good pass blockers.  With that said I sure wouldn't be mad if the Pats brought him in just for the "what if" factor.  Johnson can still be a beast with the right team.  Would hate to see the Jets get him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In my opinion anyone with a nickname like CJ2K will not be a Patriot.

He'll go to the highest bidder and proclaim they have what it takes to win it all, just like MJD!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Like TFB12 said, he's not a good pass blocker.  Plus I don't think he's even that good at catching passes out of the backfield.  I think his best days are long behind him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats's comment:

Like TFB12 said, he's not a good pass blocker.  Plus I don't think he's even that good at catching passes out of the backfield.  I think his best days are long behind him.

are you serious? His hands are good and Ive never heard he was a "bad" blocker. Maybe he isnt a good fit, maybe he is washed up who knows, but no need to make up stuff just to convince yourself of Why he isnt coming. Its always hard to guage a good player on a crappy team (see Randy Moss coming from oakland and gms saying his legs were done)

If anyone should know that, its pats fans. I would def. bring in him. Only RB we have that catches better and is close to his speed is Vareen and he has been hurt. Imagine if CJ was lined up behing Brady....Teams would not be able to tee off on him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

are you serious? His hands are good and Ive never heard he was a "bad" blocker. Maybe he isnt a good fit, maybe he is washed up who knows, but no need to make up stuff just to convince yourself of Why he isnt coming. Its always hard to guage a good player on a crappy team (see Randy Moss coming from oakland and gms saying his legs were done)

If anyone should know that, its pats fans. I would def. bring in him. Only RB we have that catches better and is close to his speed his Vareen and he has been hurt. Imagine if CJ was lined up behing Brady....Teams would not be able to tee off on him.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not making anything up.  It's widely known he's not a good pass blocker.  As for catching passes out of the backfield, I said I don't think he's that good at it meaning I wasn't 100% sure.  I can't recall him being great at that. I probably should have clarified.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Starting to wonder if this guy might be rejuvenated or hungry here. Assuming bb does not abandon some of the zone blocking schemes scar ran here.  Cj is a verygood zone runner who can catch.

Ball would be in his court, but i am not sure ne has enough cap space this year.  Bb has already been masterful and the draft is still to come.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!  You are lame, dude.  You are an embarrassment to this fan base.  Anyone have a mop, Rusty is drooling all over the place here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Ever since this guy got paid he has been inconsistent as hell.  Guy dances more at the line these days than Maroney.  Pass imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Sigh......

Another NFL "star" gets cut and some folks seem to believe the Pats MUST have him on the team. It's as if it's going to be a "given" that the addition will pay immediate and beneficial dividends, including an instant SB victory. Or, at least in their minds.

Remember this, kiddies....... if you sign these "stars", all ya gotta do is pay them. Then, watch out for next season, when cap cuts have to be made, and long time/producing Pats unfairly get the axe.

I can feel the angst from here........

(BTW: He's another "pay me the money" prima dona.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sigh......

Another NFL "star" gets cut and some folks seem to believe the Pats MUST have him on the team. It's as if it's going to be a "given" that the addition will pay immediate and beneficial dividends, including an instant SB victory. Or, at least in their minds.

Remember this, kiddies....... if you sign these "stars", all ya gotta do is pay them. Then, watch out for next season, when cap cuts have to be made, and long time/producing Pats unfairly get the axe.

I can feel the angst from here........

(BTW: He's another "pay me the money" prima dona.)

[/QUOTE]

well I dont advocate to sign everyone who is released, But we did lose a RB in free agency and he could come on the cheap and regain his form. How do we know he just didnt play hard because the team blew?  Randy came here to the Pats and was ALL in and didnt miss a SNAP in 2007 after all this BS about him not playing in preseason and prima donna,etc. So ijs, dont treat CJ2k getting released the same as every other bum in the league. This is a shot to a great talent cheap ala Corey Dillon albeit for different reasons. Kick those Dubs and see what he got left and if winning motivates him..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If anyone should know that, its pats fans. I would def. bring in him. Only RB we have that catches better and is close to his speed his Vareen and he has been hurt. Imagine if CJ was lined up behing Brady....Teams would not be able to tee off on him.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not making anything up.  It's widely known he's not a good pass blocker.  As for catching passes out of the backfield, I said I don't think he's that good at it meaning I wasn't 100% sure.  I can't recall him being great at that. I probably should have clarified.

[/QUOTE]

Thats Fair, I havent heard yay or nay either way on the pass blocking but Ive seen him catch out the backfield and take swing passes to the house. Can he go deep and make over the shoulder catches like Vareen? Probably not but why do we need him to do that with Vareen here and lots of diff. recieving options? 

I found some interesting situational stats that say even though he had a down year in 13', there were some good things too.

His ypc when the team was down 7 points or less was 4.1

When his team was down 15 + points, His average dipped to 2.5 ypc

When his team was down between 8-15 points, his average was 3.4

This tells me CJ was playing smart in 13 and protecting his future. When the game was still in hand, he Ran hard, when it was out of reach, he didnt do as much as how is running gonna get you back when you are down 3 plus scores? Sounds like another "I play when I need to" and we wouldnt be getting blown out too much so I believe he would Ball if he came here and be closer to the 2008 CJ. Just my opinion. I like context.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

[QUOTE]

If anyone should know that, its pats fans. I would def. bring in him. Only RB we have that catches better and is close to his speed is Vareen and he has been hurt. Imagine if CJ was lined up behing Brady....Teams would not be able to tee off on him.

[/QUOTE]

via nfl.com What Johnson is not

A chain mover. When Johnson entered the NFL with a bang out of East Carolina, he was a hammer to the hole, churning out tough yards in the trenches like a more slightly built Marion Barber with the added benefit of track-star speed. Those days are gone. Johnson's boom-or-bust style results in an abnormal number of negative plays, putting his quarterback in too many second- or third-and-long situations.

Because of his body type, speed, quickness and background as a wide receiver prospect entering college, Johnson is mistakenly viewed as an elite receiving back. Outside of that 2009 season, though, he has been just a hypothetical threat as a receiver. He drops too many passes, doesn't run a wide variety of routes and hangs out too close to the line of scrimmage, begging for dumpoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

He def fills a need and at times was considered the best rb in the game behind ap. I think he is DEF worth a look, hes only 28 (tho he has some mileage) and still has game speeding change, with a qb like tom brady and our passing game he wouldnt have to face defense's that are stacked up and game planned to stop him. He would have space and lanes to run and use that sub 4.3 speed.   

Idk y people r saying he cant catch, he has avgd 45 rec per year over his career. 

I understand he is not the best pass blocker, but he is a guy who can take it to the house on any play and is an above average pass catcher. We have never had a rb like him in the brady era. At the right price he would def be a good pickup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A chain mover. When Johnson entered the NFL with a bang out of East Carolina, he was a hammer to the hole, churning out tough yards in the trenches like a more slightly built Marion Barber with the added benefit of track-star speed. Those days are gone. Johnson's boom-or-bust style results in an abnormal number of negative plays, putting his quarterback in too many second- or third-and-long situations.

Because of his body type, speed, quickness and background as a wide receiver prospect entering college, Johnson is mistakenly viewed as an elite receiving back. Outside of that 2009 season, though, he has been just a hypothetical threat as a receiver. He drops too many passes, doesn't run a wide variety of routes and hangs out too close to the line of scrimmage, begging for dumpoffs.

[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, He is a RUNNING BACK!  Catching passes DOWNFIELD is a Luxury, not a Must.

I dont where you got this article but its pretty silly. So just because the Titans S*cked On Offense and tried to get production out of a guy making a bunch of money by sending him downfield, he is no good anymore?  Wow

Backs Are SUPPOSED to hang around the LOS and wait for dump offs in the passing game. Marshall Faulk didnt even go deep that much. He was a screen player who also took dump offs. IM sorry but this doesnt say anythhing rather than the Titans tried to do much with him because of a chitty offense. W/Brady there are plenty of weapons so he doesnt need to be a "WR"   smh, I want a runner that can break the big one. I posted above some stats with context as to why I would kick the tires even with his "bad" season in 13'.  By this reasoning, We Should cut bait with Ridley for falling from 1200 yard and 12 Tds to 773 Yards and & Tds.  See how you can make anyone seem like a bust?  Im sure Noone here watched all of the Titans games, including me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He def fills a need and at times was considered the best rb in the game behind ap. I think he is DEF worth a look, hes only 28 (tho he has some mileage) and still has game speeding change, with a qb like tom brady and our passing game he wouldnt have to face defense's that are stacked up and game planned to stop him. He would have space and lanes to run and use that sub 4.3 speed.   

Idk y people r saying he cant catch, he has avgd 45 rec per year over his career. 

I understand he is not the best pass blocker, but he is a guy who can take it to the house on any play and is an above average pass catcher. We have never had a rb like him in the brady era. At the right price he would def be a good pickup.

[/QUOTE]

wow, finally someone using common sense with some football acumen. I dont care if he pass blocks as I want to see him run. We have Vareen to pass block and even HE aint great at it. We dont presently have ANY Kevin Faulks on the team so there wouldnt be some Huge dropoff.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, He is a RUNNING BACK!  Catching passes DOWNFIELD is a Luxury, not a Must.

I dont where you got this article but its pretty silly. So just because the Titans S*cked On Offense and tried to get production out of a guy making a bunch of money by sending him downfield, he is no good anymore?  Wow

Backs Are SUPPOSED to hang around the LOS and wait for dump offs in the passing game. Marshall Faulk didnt even go deep that much. He was a screen player who also took dump offs. IM sorry but this doesnt say anythhing rather than the Titans tried to do much with him because of a chitty offense. W/Brady there are plenty of weapons so he doesnt need to be a "WR"   smh, I want a runner that can break the big one. I posted above some stats with context as to why I would kick the tires even with his "bad" season in 13'.  By this reasoning, We Should cut bait with Ridley for falling from 1200 yard and 12 Tds to 773 Yards and & Tds.  See how you can make anyone seem like a bust?  Im sure Noone here watched all of the Titans games, including me.

[/QUOTE]

article was from NFL.com..........by the way I was actually agreeing with you to some extent...just pointing out to others that the downfield stuff isn't his game. If he still has his speed he'd be a good weapon to pass off to sidelines. Dink and Dunk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

via NFL.com

The 28-year-old version of Johnson is a boom-or-bust runner, inconsistent from game to game. He no longer boasts insane lateral agility and record-setting 4.24 speed, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he could still break a 4.40 in the 40-yard dash.

On the positive side, Johnson hasn't missed a game in five years and never has been held under 1,000 rushing yards in a season. How many players can make that same claim at a position that absorbs more punishment than any other? Here's a hint: zero.

There's value in the ability to saddle up and ride out 15 to 20 carries every game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Hmmmm....the Titans wanted to keep him but asked for a pay cut, he refused. He feels he'll get a solid deal somewhere else, he might be right, lots of silly money was just handed out. The Packers giving Peppers 10 mil per has to be the stupidest of the stupid.

The Jets and Dallas are interested. Those that say he's about the money will of course be correct.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ever since this guy got paid he has been inconsistent as hell.  Guy dances more at the line these days than Maroney.  Pass imo.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

article was from NFL.com..........by the way I was actually agreeing with you to some extent...just pointing out to others that the downfield stuff isn't his game. If he still has his speed he'd be a good weapon to pass off to sidelines. Dink and Dunk.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, my bad, I thought you were trying to say a RB should be able to do all of those things. if you have your RB doing all of that, you probably have NO weapons. He would welcome the chance to play here where all the attention is usually on Brady. Hell, Benny got a 1,000 just because he was behind Brady and a passing offense. Benny CAME into the league slow. CJ would still be a whole second faster than Benny even if he lost a step.

In terms of what he wants....Goo thing is that "good" money for a Back is like 2-5 million. He is 28 and considered almost done so I think 3/9mill backloaded would do. Its less than Woody got.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

1,000 plus every year....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Are the Pats a player at 3-3.5 mil per?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

He had 43 catches for 260 yards as a rookie in 2008, & 50 catches for 503 yards in 2009. The play calling got away from that. The head coach realized that & wanted to do more of it again last year, but can't always do what you want when the team sucks. 

Sections
Shortcuts