T.J. Moe waived by the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

T.J. Moe waived by the Pats

Could this be the Pats trying to slide T.J. Moe onto IR similar to the Giants attempting to slide  Ballard on IR.? Consider that the Pats gave Moe an $8000 signing bonus in addition to a guaranteed salary of $22,000 (total $30,000). It's obvious that the Patriots thought a great deal about Moe to have offerred so much for an UDFA.

In view of the fact that Moe is injured and unable to participate in OTAs his injured status could look unattractive to other teams still evaluating their roster. After all, unlike Ballard he has no professional track record to tempt others. In addition, his 4.38 tested time is supposedly not reflective of his on the field speed which appears considerably slower.

On the other hand, consider that the 4.38 timed speed was performed while he was still injured suggesting that he could end up being the fastest performer at the Combine?

One could assume that since Moe was unable to perform OTAs there was no sound basis for his dismissal...other than hiding him on IR until the Patriots can better assess his professional upside as a Patriot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

Re: T.J. Moe waived by the Pats

sad thing is that he was given the most guaranteed $ of any undrafted rook.. this counts against the salary cap. i dont get y bb does this every year, pay top $ then cut guys so early!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Top $'s????    . . .  we are talking little money here . . . very little.  If he slide through waivers and gets put on IR then he will get a shot next year.  Jones and Jenkins will be here on year at most if they even make the team and who knows about the long term health of Edelman . . . this is a good cheap gamble on the part of the Pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I bet some other team claims him, maybe the Giants.  In all reality, the odds of this guy becoming the "next Welker" are highly unlikely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

Could this be the Pats trying to slide T.J. Moe onto IR similar to the Giants attempting to slide  Ballard on IR.? Consider that the Pats gave Moe an $8000 signing bonus in addition to a guaranteed salary of $22,000 (total $30,000). It's obvious that the Patriots thought a great deal about Moe to have offerred so much for an UDFA.

In view of the fact that Moe is injured and unable to participate in OTAs his injured status could look unattractive to other teams still evaluating their roster. After all, unlike Ballard he has no professional track record to tempt others. In addition, his 4.38 tested time is supposedly not reflective of his on the field speed which appears considerably slower.

On the other hand, consider that the 4.38 timed speed was performed while he was still injured suggesting that he could end up being the fastest performer at the Combine?

One could assume that since Moe was unable to perform OTAs there was no sound basis for his dismissal...other than hiding him on IR until the Patriots can better assess his professional upside as a Patriot.

If you're talking about TJ Moe's 40 time it was not 4.38 at the combine. He ran a super slow 4.74 range. His pro day he improved to the low 4.6 range. But his slow 40 time was probably the main reason he wasn't drafted because all his other numbers were off the charts.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

I think BB wants to keep him he was not gonna make the roster this year and he probably wouldnt have made it to the practice squad, so what better way than to try and sneak him to IR when most if not all teams already have their 90 man limit. He can learn the system for a year and if edleman or any of the other receivers are let go after a year they have a nice replacement thats had a year to develop with the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Moe and Ballard are two different animals. 

Ballard is a proven 275 pound blocking machine and an awfully big target 8 yards downfield, at least he is once he's healthy.  BB and staff deduced that Ballard would be plenty healthy by OTAs in 2013, and in fact he's taking reps with the first team.  Furthermore, Ballard could be placed on Injured Reserve in 2012 without wasting a spot on the 53 man roster, and he'd still be with the club in 2013.  Somebody over at the New York Giants didn't get that memo. 

Based on this development after a few days of OTAs, it sounds like Moe is expected to be useless in 2013, although he might be pretty good in another 12 months.  Any team that wants to claim Moe will have to keep him on their 53 man roster in September or risk losing him.  BB wants to sneak him down to Injured Reserve right now. 

So, Moe broke his rookie.  Poor guy, he'll be injured for just about 12 months until 2014 OTAs roll around.  Amazing how all these players land on IR before September 1, until they can get stronger and more skilled.

Ballard is worth half a million dollars to get him well.  Moe is worth whatever he can get on injured reserve, maybe union scale for an undrafted free agent plus a guaranteed $8,000 plus a $22,000 minimum salary is factored into his IR pay.  With salary caps going way north of $100 million, they're both bargain basement finds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wow, I didn' know much about him but was looking forward to see what he could do since there seemed to be some high hopes for him around here.  I heard he tore his achilles but haven't seen anything else to confirm.  If so, bad break for the kid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Ruptured Achiles tendon. I don't think BB is trying to hide anybody,if NYG want too claim him he's theirs! The kid might be talented nobody knows for sure. No biggie either way. they also cut the Tyronne Green kid they signed earlier this month.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to CliffordWasHere's comment:

Yeah, 30,000 dollars is really a major cap hit. lol

He was always a bubble player or PS bound. It's funny how some cling to a name and then act like it's utter devastation when he is released.

It also makes me laugh how everyone got so exited that the pats are spending big, when in fact they are tossing pennies around on no name undrafted players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

sad thing is that he was given the most guaranteed $ of any undrafted rook.. this counts against the salary cap. i dont get y bb does this every year, pay top $ then cut guys so early!

Moe wasn't cut due to poor play...he was cut because he tore his Achilles tendon: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/moe-tears-achilles-waived-by-patriots/article_413228d4-3522-5914-96af-3e6c272406bd.html

:

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

Moe also wasn't paid huge money:

...Moe went undrafted in April after catching 188 passes for 2,101 yards as a three-year starter for the Tigers. The former all-state quarterback at Fort Zumwalt West had free-agent offers from multiple teams, including the Rams, and agreed to the richest contract among the Patriots’ undrafted rookies, which reportedly included an $8,000 signing bonus and a guaranteed base salary of $22,000: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/moe-tears-achilles-waived-by-patriots/article_413228d4-3522-5914-96af-3e6c272406bd.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This blows, this kid was going to be productive in our system. There's always next year... maybe?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This blows, this kid was going to be productive in our system. There's always net year... maybe?

If he clears waivers I believe he gets added to IR and it will be inetresting to see if the Pat's leave stashed there until next year or come to an injury settlement and cut ties.

I don't know the details of the IR rules but I wonder if there is any sort of limit to the number of players that can be on IR or if the player has an option to ask for a release or some other type option.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yeah I agree that it's most likely nobody will take him and pay him to sit around, he was undrafted.  I love how some are already throwing bust around as if an undrafted guy could be considered a bust, who next the janitor at Gillete is a bust because he didn't work out.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This blows, this kid was going to be productive in our system. There's always next year... maybe?

Don't know about a next year for Moe, unfortunately. An Achilles injury is a tough one to come all the way back from, when your stock and trade is as a quick, shifty slot receiver.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I don't see any other team picking him before he clears waivers.

He was undrafted. 

Any team could have picked him in the draft or afterwards but didn't.

Now that he's injured, some other team is gonna jump on him?  I don't think so.

I would like to see him stay though.  Edelman could be gone after this season if not before as some like to think so it would be nice to have this kid next year.  I think he can be a player in this league.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to CliffordWasHere's comment:

Yeah, 30,000 dollars is really a major cap hit. lol

He was always a bubble player or PS bound. It's funny how some cling to a name and then act like it's utter devastation when he is released.

It also makes me laugh how everyone got so exited that the pats are spending big, when in fact they are tossing pennies around on no name undrafted players.

Good call. Pats are just a bunch of cheapos. I can't believe they sign un drafted players. Ugh. Plus it's obvious this guy sucked, otherwise his Achilles wouldn't have ruptured like a punk. Duh. Waste of 30 BIG ONES.....We could have used that 30 thousand to go after Mike Wallace or Mario Williams. Guys who eat sleep and excrete championships.

We need a GM who can judge talent, cuz this Belichick guy just doesn't get it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Does it mean the Pats now only have Curly and Larry at wideouts?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Does it mean the Pats now only have Curly and Larry at wideouts?

Shemp too, but most people foget about him............