To all "Hernandez is a SCUMBAG" cheerleaders...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: To all

This isn't a courtroom and I'm not on an official jury. 

What I do is I make the best sense of the facts that I have. Then I come to a judgement. If more evidence comes along, I change that judgement. I'm not reporting on this story, which would dictate a stronger obligation. I don't have that. 

So I'm free to make a judgement. Right now my judgement is that Hernandez is a doosher and that he appears - appears mind you- to have somewhat of a history of being a doosher and hanging out with pinheads. I'm not saying the Pats shouldn't have drafted him. Most of the facts of this case are not clear. But recent anecdotes are piling up. If the team is not standing by him that tells you a lot. 

Handing over a destroyed cell phone to police is a damning fact. It says something about you and not something very complimentary. I wasn't born yesterday and can make sense of certain facts with some degree of accuracy. Note that I did not say he was a murderer, or that he helped to carry out a murderer. But I feel comfortable calling him an immature dooshie who has clearly made some poor decisions recently. 

You are free to challenge that with any information you have that would illustrate what a terrific guy he is.

My judgement of OJ changed overnight after I found out he killed two people. He was found innocent. I am still 99 percent sure he did it.  (He did lose a civil suit to that effect). The fact that I did not know of any of the problems in his marriage leading up to that murder does not disqualify me from saying something about it.

"Innocent until proven guilty" reflects a blind faith in our justice system. Any knowledge of our system shows us that not only is it not 100 percent reliable, and not only that, but having the money for the best attorneys makes a huge difference on verdicts (see: OJ). DNA evidence frees wrongly convicted killers on a regular basis now. 

I'd suggest taking a major dose of perspective here and realizing that it's a message board where the standards for posting are much lower. There isn't a rule that I have to say Hernandez is a great guy until the day that our flawed legal system finds him innocent, or allows him to cut a Ray Lewis type deal also (I consider Ray Lewis a doosher and hypocrite also. Others consider him a redeption story.) Discussion boards are meant for such debates. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

What I do is I make the best sense of the facts that I have. Then I come to a judgement. If more evidence comes along, I change that judgement. I'm not reporting on this story, which would dictate a stronger obligation. I don't have that. 

So I'm free to make a judgement. Right now my judgement is that Hernandez is a doosher and that he appears - appears mind you- to have somewhat of a history of being a doosher and hanging out with pinheads. I'm not saying the Pats shouldn't have drafted him. Most of the facts of this case are not clear. But recent anecdotes are piling up. If the team is not standing by him that tells you a lot. 

Handing over a destroyed cell phone to police is a damning fact. It says something about you and not something very complimentary. I wasn't born yesterday and can make sense of certain facts with some degree of accuracy. Note that I did not say he was a murderer, or that he helped to carry out a murderer. But I feel comfortable calling him an immature dooshie who has clearly made some poor decisions recently. 

You are free to challenge that with any information you have that would illustrate what a terrific guy he is.

My judgement of OJ changed overnight after I found out he killed two people. He was found innocent. I am still 99 percent sure he did it.  (He did lose a civil suit to that effect). The fact that I did not know of any of the problems in his marriage leading up to that murder does not disqualify me from saying something about it.

"Innocent until proven guilty" reflects a blind faith in our justice system. Any knowledge of our system shows us that not only is it not 100 percent reliable, and not only that, but having the money for the best attorneys makes a huge difference on verdicts (see: OJ). DNA evidence frees wrongly convicted killers on a regular basis now. 

I'd suggest taking a major dose of perspective here and realizing that it's a message board where the standards for posting are much lower. There isn't a rule that I have to say Hernandez is a great guy until the day that our flawed legal system finds him innocent, or allows him to cut a Ray Lewis type deal also (I consider Ray Lewis a doosher and hypocrite also. Others consider him a redeption story.) Discussion boards are meant for such debates. 

^^What he said.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I haven't been reading much the past few days as this board has been spammed with Hernandez topic after Hernandez topic.  It seems like a lot of people are coming out the woodwork to bash BB for drafting the guy because it was apparently so obvious he was going to get into trouble based on all the "reports" coming out now about him.  I read something this morning in an article that I thought was relevant even though article as a whole was not.  The link is here and the passage I think stood out is below in italics:

“If you’re a hard-core character guy, and won’t take players who are questionable,” one NFL personnel man said, “your talent pool is cut almost in half. That makes it tough to compete, because you’re not winning anything in the NFL without talent.”

I'm not saying Hernandez is a good guy and unless something changes dramatically over the course of this investigation I don't want to see him in a Pats uniform again, but this quote sort of meshes with my own view that a lot of NFL players have some pretty questionable backgrounds and that if you think BB shouldn't have drafted Hernandez because of  his "red flags" you'd be surprised  how many other players who haven't gotten into trouble that you would have avoided as well.  I don't think it is as obvious as some of the MMQBs would have you believe that Hernandez was going to get involved in something this heavy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

i don't like you very much, but great post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Charles Pierce sums up my feelings about this freak show that is playing out before us, and that we are all lapping up so eagerly, better than I ever could.

It's worth reading that piece, and then taking a step back, look at this forum, and take in how many hysterical threads this whole thing has spawned.  Frankly, there's nothing more to say on this subject until the trial.  "Your" opinion is not so very different than everyone else's and doesn't need its own thread; the subtle shadings of morality, hindsight and speculation that color it don't really differentiate the staunchest supporter from the most rabid accuser all that much.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I haven't been reading much the past few days as this board has been spammed with Hernandez topic after Hernandez topic.  It seems like a lot of people are coming out the woodwork to bash BB for drafting the guy because it was apparently so obvious he was going to get into trouble based on all the "reports" coming out now about him.  I read something this morning in an article that I thought was relevant even though article as a whole was not.  The link is here and the passage I think stood out is below in italics:

“If you’re a hard-core character guy, and won’t take players who are questionable,” one NFL personnel man said, “your talent pool is cut almost in half. That makes it tough to compete, because you’re not winning anything in the NFL without talent.”

I'm not saying Hernandez is a good guy and unless something changes dramatically over the course of this investigation I don't want to see him in a Pats uniform again, but this quote sort of meshes with my own view that a lot of NFL players have some pretty questionable backgrounds and that if you think BB shouldn't have drafted Hernandez because of  his "red flags" you'd be surprised  how many other players who haven't gotten into trouble that you would have avoided as well.  I don't think it is as obvious as some of the MMQBs would have you believe that Hernandez was going to get involved in something this heavy.

I think the criticism has been split pretty evenly between BB and Kraft

I also dont think there was any issue with drafting Hern, but most of the critics have questioned the resigning 2 years early with so many known incidents the past 18-24 months

I also dont think that the Pats MUST stay clear of questionable character guys, just stop the pretense that they do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Michael McCannMichael McCann @McCannSportsLaw 1h

Since Super Bowl XLVII on 2/3/13, 28 NFL players have been arrested. Aaron Hernandez--still no arrested--getting more attention than all 28.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I also dont think that the Pats MUST stay clear of questionable character guys, just stop the pretense that they do.

You already know my opinion of the extension so I won't bother rehashing it here.  As for this particular part of your post I think there is an important distinction to be made.  I think a lot of this "Patriot Way" thing is a media/overzealous fan creation as opposed to anything BB has said, but I will say that I think Belichick values guys who are team first when they are on the field.  It is the reason why BB's teams are often greater than the sum of their parts (and yes part of this is because BB is a great coach) and that he will not hesitate to cut ties with a guy (regardless of talent level) if he feels the player isn't putting the team first on the field.  When players talk about the "Patriot Way" I think it has to do more with how coach Belichick runs the team as opposed to this other meaning that the media has attached.  There were a lot of guys even on the dynasty teams that were not saints, but they all bought in to coach Belichick's system come game time.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Clarifying...

1) I never said for anyone to think one way or the other. All I said was to go to the extreme and say he's a bad guy, has always been a bad guy, and this is what you get with bad guy's is totally disingenuous.

2) I am in NO WAY trying to temper discussions about this topic NOR am I trying to dissuade having an opinion. I would be THRILLED to have a thread that actually discussed this topic without devolving into fights, personal attacks or some other lunacy.

How did I react during the OJ trial? Who knows, I was 16 when it wrapped up. I remember watching in my classroom at CRLS as the majority CHEERED when the verdict was read.

Ray Lewis, however, I did have an opinon. But I waited until it played out to pass judgement. At no point was I saying "he's a bad guy! What a thug! He's always been a scumbag!". After all was said and done, I thought to myself "good for him to actually take the stand and "snitch" as a person lost their life over this". Did I think it curious that his white suit disappeared? Yes. Did I take that as an act only a guilty man would commit? No.

Am I curious WHY Aaron destroyed his phone and security system? YES! Do I take it as an ommission of guilt? Why the fk would I?

And to further the conspiracy angle...if someone WAS setting him up/making him uncomfortable. You know, going so far as to kill his friend and dump him near his house. Imagine that guy shows up, smashes Aaron's phone and security system and then says "have fun explaining this all to the pigs, and we know where your girl lives."

Maybe thugs entered the house by force and took the other guy, then called Aaron during the shooting. Think maybe he'd freak out and destroy the video showing the guy getting taken and smash the phone he heard the murder through?

Maybe he drove the guy a mile from his house, shot him, left a car there (in his own name) and walked back to the house beforte destroying the evidence.

To be honest, all three of those seem EQUALLY as likely to me. The only thing I'm SURE of, is that none of those events happened exactly as I just described them...too "Hollywood". But which one is closest?

Only a handful of people know, and none of them post here.

As I suggest people refrain from personal attacks on other posters, I'd suggest refraining from attacking Hernadez' character and decision-making until AFTER this wraps up.

When people TRY to seperate from a bad crowd after getting money, things RARELY end well. 

Remember MICHAEL FKING JORDAN'S MURDERED FATHER! All indications are that was a message sent directly to Jordan...the most famous athlete on the PLANET! And apparently, someone killed his dad over unpaid gambling debts, and Jordan had his first "retirement" as all this was going on. Many people believe Stern told him he had to take a break until it was all over. Go look it up. Strange, bizarre, hollywood-esque things DO sometimes happen in the real world. Or, it's more likely to believe Jordan won 3 rings, and decided to ride busses in AA for a year, before winning three MORE rings. Yeah, that is totally believable.

Paul Pierce almost got stabbed to death in a night club!

Nate Newton, a 6 time Pro Bowler was pulled over with 213lbs of pot! 5 weeks later he was pulled over with 175lbs MORE!

Tyron Smith (again of the Cowboys) had to sue his own FAMILY for trying to basically extort money from him!

Crazy things happen in real life.

All I know is, if any one of us was facing unfair charges and facing a media bent on destroying you...we'd all want a little patience too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Of course you never know what's going to happen in any individual case, but you need to understand what's a tolerable level of risk overall. By drafting a lot of players who slip because of injury, character concerns, or other issues, BB is taking on a lot more risk than many other GMs. There's potential for big rewards, but also potential for some big losses.  If there's a criticism of BB's drafting strategy, it's that it has been risky and, if guys like Gronk, Hern, Dowling, etc., end up not contributing because of injury or character issues, the rewards may not end up being enough to offset the losses. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Statement from Hernandez's attorney

ESPNBoston.com

Michael K. Fee of Ropes & Gray LLP, the attorney for Aaron Hernandez, has released the following statement tonight: 

"Over the past week, our client, Aaron Hernandez, has been the subject of a relentless flood of rumors, misinformation, and false reports in the media. These include the repeated publication of a supposedly confirmed report that an arrest warrant had been issued for Aaron, a report that was exposed as untrue. None of these false reports come from official sources and we appreciate the professionalism and restraint shown by the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office to date with regard to its public statements while its investigation is underway. Out of respect for that ongoing investigation, we will continue to refrain from commenting on its substance."

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

And the media has been saying EXACTLY what everyone expects...doesn't stop many from running with it.

Felt the need to respond to your absurdity before throwing your worthless rear on ignore.

You are the weakest link....GOODBYE!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

While the media had not behaved that responsibly so far, Michael Fee better hope that the investigation does not turn against Hernandez before he bashes them. They are the ones controlling the noise and the volume of the narratives, and if they got dissed now.....

Living well is the best revenge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I was already disappointed that he isn't a good TE or WR, drops too many and is hurt too much.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

All I have to say to all the people that have judged AH to this point, you are silly and not very nice or very christian. You would rather believe the worst in people before you believe in the best in people. You are the kind of people that started the Salem Witch Hunts! The last time I read the statistics they went something like this. Over 30% of the people convicted of violent crime using circumstantial evidence are eventually exonerated using physical evidence. Some law studies have put it as high as 50% or more.

Almost but not quite.

I didn't base my statement on his opinion and I didn't call him a not nice person. I only said he is judgemental and over zealous!

Reread your original statement. You said anyone who has judged AH to this point aren't very nice  people. So, since he judged AH as do I (not just for this act but multiple repeated acts) that in your mind makes us not nice people. So, you are judging us to be not nice people based on our opinions

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Curiouser and curiouser....

Sections
Shortcuts