To all the draft geniuses complaining..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

To all the draft geniuses complaining..

Stop reacting on any players, you dont know what a player is going to do and neither do these teams. Its a best guess scenario.
    But one thing i do know is, bill doesnt take anyone if he thinks he can get them later. He took this safety cuz he had information that someone was going to take him. GUARANTEED.. 
    He had Dont'a and Chandler rated the same but took chandler first because he thought he had a chance at Dont'a later. We had a lower 2nd round pick, he could have taken the safety there but im sure someone else was high on this kid. I dont think anyone should listen to what kiper had him rated as.. because it doesnt really matter in the end.. Those guys are there so all of you guys watch their tv show.
    Looks like a great character, ST, and potential Safety who also can play corner if need rises. I think he'll add something to our team, lets wait and watch till you peg the first rounders as pro bowlers and this second rounder as a reach or a bust. No one has any information about other team's interest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: To all the draft geniuses complaining..

It's interesting to think about..Wilson had a draft grade of about a 7th rounder- undrafted.

BB trades back a lot not only to acquire more picks, but because he thinks he can still get the guy he covets a little later (McCourty)

So I wonder why BB took Tavon so early. Maybe someone else did like him as much as he did...or maybe he didn't have enough time to execute a trade and had to take him...who knows

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

The only other thing is the lack of picks made it hard to predict if they would be able to get him at 62, and if they had to move up, they had no ammo left So he took him early because he thought it was worth it.
    Another thing is, maybe they had decided they were trading the 62 for later picks so that was off limits, and he would be gone by the 3rd round so they took him and traded the 62 instead of risking the first scenario.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

One more thing i just thought of.. I read that last year he had to play corner because the team needed him there. Maybe bill liked what he saw as a corner.. Who Knows besides bill..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

His stats for all three years were unimpressive regardless of position. In three years, one forced fumble. One interception in 2009, 20010 and 2011... But at leased he was recognized as "player of the week" in the Big 10 on October 10, 2010. Sounds like the 48th best pick in the draft to me.a real gem.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I often complain about Belichick's decisions on these boards, but I have to disagree with anyone who tries to judge a draft before any games are played. 

For all we know right now, Wilson could be this teams starting safety for the next 5-10 years and Mark Barron or Harrison Smith (the two safeties selected before him) could be out of football when their rookie contracts expire.

Despite the industry around the draft and draft analysis, you cannot grade a draft for at least 2-3 years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I can't argue with the result by BB but what if we had a little better secondary or pass rush last year as a result of the last 3-4 drafts?  When Brady is done, will BB be able to still get away with all these questionable personnel moves?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: To all the draft geniuses complaining..:
    [QUOTE]I often complain about Belichick's decisions on these boards, but I have to disagree with anyone who tries to judge a draft before any games are played.  For all we know right now, Wilson could be this teams starting safety for the next 5-10 years and Mark Barron or Harrison Smith (the two safeties selected before him) could be out of football when their rookie contracts expire. Despite the industry around the draft and draft analysis, you cannot grade a draft for at least 2-3 years.
    Posted by FrnkBnhm[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point. The Patriots pride themselves on getting full value for each draft pick. I don't care if someone else was interested in this kid or not. There's no way the Pats got full value for the 48th overall pick by selecting him. Even if the kid pans out...thats' too high for him. That's why the pick is referred to as a "reach".  

Unlike in Round One, BB and the Pats appeared to be both clueless and unprepared tonight.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

You have to look at this along with the free agents they have picked up so far also.

I have to imagine the Pats worked out all these picks and knew what they wanted and where they had to be in order to get them.

I've applied to be a Pats scout but so far they haven't been interested despite my experience on several Pats message boards (heavy sarcasm).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to To all the draft geniuses complaining..:
    [QUOTE]Stop reacting on any players, you dont know what a player is going to do and neither do these teams. Its a best guess scenario. But one thing i do know is, bill doesnt take anyone if he thinks he can get them later. He took this safety cuz he had information that someone was going to take him. GUARANTEED..  He had Dont'a and Chandler rated the same but took chandler first because he thought he had a chance at Dont'a later. We had a lower 2nd round pick, he could have taken the safety there but im sure someone else was high on this kid. I dont think anyone should listen to what kiper had him rated as.. because it doesnt really matter in the end.. Those guys are there so all of you guys watch their tv show. Looks like a great character, ST, and potential Safety who also can play corner if need rises. I think he'll add something to our team, lets wait and watch till you peg the first rounders as pro bowlers and this second rounder as a reach or a bust. No one has any information about other team's interest.
    Posted by Coolguy55220[/QUOTE]

+1, although you're going to get blasted
    No one knows BB's motivation for the pic but it's obviously he wanted him
    He did work him out and said he's seen plenty of film on him and liked him, evidently, better than the remaining safeties/corners and ST players rolled into one.  So there's your value.  He really got 3 guys, lol.  Ya I know that's a reach.
    Have heard the Ravens and Chargers were looking at him so although it looks like a big reach, you get them while you can. 
    Let's let the guy get fitted for his uniform before we say how outrageous the pick was.  He might surprise and be worth it and he might not. 
    The trade, although not a great value point wise, was good enough to get 2 more players where he thought they would go.  So be it.
    Was the 90 pick a reach?  After watching film on him, you can see that when he does hit a QB, he's gonna know it.  Big time!
    BB did mention Vollmer not going to the combine either.  That worked out ok.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, BB looked exhausted and agitated at the presser (yes, even more than usual)
    I wondered at the time if it was because he's sick and tired of being questioned for every move he makes.  I didn't see a happy man up there when it should have been an exciting time for him and the team.   That worries me a lot more than the pick that no one thinks he should have made.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: To all the draft geniuses complaining..": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: To all the draft geniuses complaining.. :      You're missing the point. The Patriots pride themselves on getting full value for each draft pick. I don't care if someone else was interested in this kid or not. There's no way the Pats got full value for the 48th overall pick by selecting him. Even if the kid pans out...thats' too high for him. That's why the pick is referred to as a "reach".        Unlike in Round One, BB and the Pats appeared to be both clueless and unprepared tonight. Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE] Ofcourse it matters if someone else was interested. Your entire value argument is based on where the Kipers of the world value him. If they had called him a first rounder you would think it was a good pick. The value is certainly not based on salary or NFL statistics. For all we know the next team wanted to pick him. Other teams aren't using the mock drafts any more than BB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "To all the draft geniuses complaining..": [QUOTE]Stop reacting on any players, you dont know what a player is going to do and neither do these teams. Its a best guess scenario. But one thing i do know is, bill doesnt take anyone if he thinks he can get them later. He took this safety cuz he had information that someone was going to take him. GUARANTEED..  He had Dont'a and Chandler rated the same but took chandler first because he thought he had a chance at Dont'a later. We had a lower 2nd round pick, he could have taken the safety there but im sure someone else was high on this kid. I dont think anyone should listen to what kiper had him rated as.. because it doesnt really matter in the end.. Those guys are there so all of you guys watch their tv show. Looks like a great character, ST, and potential Safety who also can play corner if need rises. I think he'll add something to our team, lets wait and watch till you peg the first rounders as pro bowlers and this second rounder as a reach or a bust. No one has any information about other team's interest. Posted by Coolguy55220[/QUOTE] Cool guy, you deserve your name! This is the best post I have read tonight hands down! If Kiper was as smart as he is made out to be he would be running a franchise that has won more games then any other over the last 10 years........like Bill

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To all the draft geniuses complaining.. :      You're missing the point. The Patriots pride themselves on getting full value for each draft pick. I don't care if someone else was interested in this kid or not. There's no way the Pats got full value for the 48th overall pick by selecting him. Even if the kid pans out...thats' too high for him. That's why the pick is referred to as a "reach".        Unlike in Round One, BB and the Pats appeared to be both clueless and unprepared tonight.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]
    You are completely wrong.. Value depends on the patriots DRAFT BOARD... WHICH YOU HAVENT seen... So you have no idea where he is rated on their draft board so you cant say its a reach.. I much rather trust bill than any of the experts, as well as you. If they overrated him then its the matter of the scouts not doing their job, but i guarantee you he wasnt #150 on thier draft board and bill said... well might as well take him #48 cuz thats wat we should do. If ur a pats fan, and know how bill operates, then you know he has to be between 40 - 60 in the PATS DRAFT BOARD. And if you want to get him, esp considering you dont have many draft choices left, and you think other teams are interested, then you snag him when you can.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

BB said he played nickel coverage 50% of all snaps last year-wow. So 4-4-3 sounds about right-He took all these edge guys to get to the QB quick with basicly 3 dbs across the field. We have Big Vince and Spikes so you aint running up the middle. The Pats will be attacking the QB next season from all angles. The NFL has turned into a pass first league-gone are the days of John Riggins--kinda sad but thats what King Good-for-Nothing wants.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

No one seems to acknowledge that BB values special teams ALONG with O and D roles. Wilson's positives:

1. Great potential on coverage teams (we have a couple of players like Sergio Brown who may not make the team if they cannot hold both special teams role and D or O role)
    2. Aggressive player with apparently some good football instincts
    3. Forces fumbles
    4. Size to play S and maybe some coverage
    5. Good blitzer
    6. Reportedly good leaderhsip .. so good locker room presence

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It's simple really, if you're a koolaid drinker you'll applaud this selection and if you come here to have an opinion you won't like the pick. Either way - weather the guy is a total and complete bust or future pro bowler - we'll all come back here and say we were right!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In response to "Re: To all the draft geniuses complaining..": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: To all the draft geniuses complaining.. :      You're missing the point. The Patriots pride themselves on getting full value for each draft pick. I don't care if someone else was interested in this kid or not. There's no way the Pats got full value for the 48th overall pick by selecting him. Even if the kid pans out...thats' too high for him. That's why the pick is referred to as a "reach".        Unlike in Round One, BB and the Pats appeared to be both clueless and unprepared tonight. Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE] If your smarter than bb why are you not running the team? Do you get paid more to bit$h from the computer?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

"I've applied to be a Pats scout but so far they haven't been interested despite my experience on several Pats message boards"

Epic

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]No one seems to acknowledge that BB values special teamsALONG with O and D roles. Wilson's positives: 1. Great potential on coverage teams (we have a couple of players like Sergio Brown who may not make the team if they cannot hold both special teams role and D or O role) 2. Aggressive player with apparently some good football instincts 3. Forces fumbles 4. Size to play S and maybe some coverage 5. Good blitzer 6. Reportedly good leaderhsip .. so good locker room presence
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

I wish then, he would realize that KO returner is more important then any of the other 10 guys on the field with him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: To all the draft geniuses complaining.. :      You're missing the point. The Patriots pride themselves on getting full value for each draft pick. I don't care if someone else was interested in this kid or not. There's no way the Pats got full value for the 48th overall pick by selecting him. Even if the kid pans out...thats' too high for him. That's why the pick is referred to as a "reach".        Unlike in Round One, BB and the Pats appeared to be both clueless and unprepared tonight.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Maybe there was no trading partner or BB did not like what was offered or maybe BB had him rated higher than other players on the ESPN board? 

Sometimes, you don't get commonly agreed upon value; sometimes you have to pay more than full price for what you want! Hopefully, it works out but there's never a guarantee. That's how it is in certain businesses such as sports, entertainment and art. "It's not like trading widgets"

21. This post has been removed.