TO and the Pats? He sounds interested

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from D-DAY. Show D-DAY's posts

TO and the Pats? He sounds interested

Free agent Terrell Owens told WEEI in Boston that he'd "definitely be open" to playing for the Patriots in 2010.The question is whether New England would have him. "I mean, you’ve got (Tom) Brady there. You’ve got the great mind, coach (Bill) Belichick," said Owens. "I’m like LeBron (James). I can go there and take less of a role, take less money and put everything aside and make it work." We'd hesitate to declare T.O. humbled by his unfruitful free agent experience, but he's saying the right things. He'd be a dangerous addition to Brady's arsenal.

What do you think of the idea????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Re: TO and the Pats? He sounds interested

In Response to TO and the Pats? He sounds interested:
    Free agent Terrell Owens told WEEI in Boston that he'd "definitely be open" to playing for the Patriots in 2010.The question is whether New England would have him. "I mean, you’ve got (Tom) Brady there. You’ve got the great mind, coach (Bill) Belichick," said Owens. "I’m like LeBron (James). I can go there and take less of a role, take less money and put everything aside and make it work." We'd hesitate to declare T.O. humbled by his unfruitful free agent experience, but he's saying the right things. He'd be a dangerous addition to Brady's arsenal. What do you think of the idea????
    Posted by D-DAY

Theoretically, maybe. But, even though he's saying the right words because he's desperate, I just cannot see this particular tiger changing his stripes and becoming a team player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from D-DAY. Show D-DAY's posts

My only though is he and Randy on the field at the same time... Plus his price is dropping by the day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

For once I agree 100% with Russ. He's a cancer and could not be trusted to follow thru on his statements about a lesser role

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

If you were starving and on the street and someone offered you a half-eaten roast beef, you'd be "open to it" too whether you liked roast beef or not.

Curious: what are the rules when it comes to cutting/releasing players in the middle of a season? I'd like to see TO offered a deal where he gets base pay but can be cut/released the minute there's a flare-up. I wouldn't want it where if he causes something after week 5, we're stuck trying to cover up for him the entire year because THAT will un-do this lockerroom over time.

Otherwise, I'd take him on because right now, I'd say the Ravens are tops in the AFC and we're not THAT far behind; TO on the other side of Moss looks great. If be brings in just 5-7 TDs for the year, I'll take it. Plus, he has playoff experience and Brady can make almost any of us good receivers too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Pats are a good place for alot of players, but alot of players aren't a good match for the Pats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

The problem is we only have 52 positions open, and we're not likely to go with more than 7 WRs because we have other positions to fill which are just as important.

On WR right now we have: Moss, Welker, Edelman, Price, Tate, Holt, Aiken, and Slater, not to mention a few on the bubble of making it onto the team.

So that means we would have to decide whether TO is more important than the WRs that we have. Is he better/ more important than Moss or Welker? Obviously not. Is he better than Price, Holt, Edelman or Tate? Perhaps, but then perhaps not. I think that Aiken, Slater and any other WRs on the team would have to be special teams players, so that crosses their spots off the list - TO doesn't play special teams.

If Price, Edelman and Tate are any good at all then the upside of having those young WRs (who will probably only get better with time) far outweighs the upside of TO, who is on the downside of his career. TO is around 35, slowing down, and he has always had some problems with dropping balls. BB would be sacrificing the future of the team by selecting TO over the new blood. It sounds great in Madden where you don't have to think about the next year and the one after that, but in real football you have to think long term. TO is not a long term answer.

So that leaves TO vs. Holt. Is TO better than Holt? Both were top end recievers in their day. Holt however, has had a much better career for a longer time. He has always been a more precise route runner, and has better hands. In addition, Holt has always been a team player. One last point is that Holt has already been on the team for the entire offseason, getting comfortable with the system and respected by the team.

So even taking the fact that TO has not done a lot to inspire locker room confidence aside, and regardless of whether he has changed his ways or not, the reality is that we would in all likelihood not be looking at him right now. If there were injuries, then maybe this could change but as of right now I don't see it happening.

One last thing: If the Jets didn't take him by this point, then there's probably a reason. Remember, they are doing everything in their power to be a "win now" team and have put a LOT of risk into paying for players that have less than stellar reputations.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I don't care for the guy personally and we are really stacked with wideouts. If he comes in for the Vet Minimum I'm not even sure he's worth it because he'll be complaining in 2 weeks that he doesn't get the ball enough and calling Brady a phagg. Although maybe he turned over a new leaf this year and found god. Stranger things have happened.....Doubt it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats3392. Show pats3392's posts

It would be interesting to see moss and t.o. on the field together

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Yeah HE is interested.....No one else is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

we have alot of depth at WR. plus i would rather have Holt or patten. although i wouldn' be opposed to bringing him in at the vet min for training camp due to the fact that we don't know if tate/price are going to step up. We could PUP one WR in order to hold onto an extra WR.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

No thanks. Edelman is faster and quicker than Wes and will do a great job filling in for him until WW comes back. A year or two with some work on timing and just getting more P.T. and this kid will be WW. Holt will be going against opposing teams 3rd/4th best CB and he'll be playing opposite maybe the best all time WR in the "superfreak". He'll fit in perfect playing the X and I perdict will have close to 900 yards and 7-8 TDs. And we'll have a healthy Moss w/ WW coming back Nov. Not to mention Tate , Price etc and those two stud TE's. As much as I dont like him TO WAS a great WR , if I thought he could help us Id be all for bringing him in. I dont think he would make us better. In fact Im on record of saying that of the top 10-15 teams and w/ their current roster in tact , that I dont think he makes any of them better. Question , if a tree falls and catches 825 yards/5 TDs in the forest and no-one hears/see's it , did a tree really fall? The Raiders , Al druel cup Raiders wont even take on Owens. Just like old Jews from New York TO should go down to Jacksonville and let his career die.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to TO and the Pats? He sounds interested:
    Free agent Terrell Owens told WEEI in Boston that he'd "definitely be open" to playing for the Patriots in 2010.The question is whether New England would have him. "I mean, you’ve got (Tom) Brady there. You’ve got the great mind, coach (Bill) Belichick," said Owens. "I’m like LeBron (James). I can go there and take less of a role, take less money and put everything aside and make it work." We'd hesitate to declare T.O. humbled by his unfruitful free agent experience, but he's saying the right things. He'd be a dangerous addition to Brady's arsenal. What do you think of the idea????
    Posted by D-DAY

I wouldn't be opposed to him signing him at the nfl minimum....and bonuses based on performance. Thing is, we just don't need anymore WRs at this time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

never

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

T.O. is interested in the Pats, but it's clear the feeling isn't mutual. 

T.O. needs to have the ball. The biggest problem with that ideal is that I want Brady back to his the open receiver gets the ball. We already saw what Tom forcing the ball to Moss and Welker does to the offense, we don't need Brady forcing the ball to another WR. 

I'd be more interested in T.O. if he were an OLB or a RB. Those are two positions that the Patriots are in need. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from breezer827. Show breezer827's posts

He would be a better receiver if he didn't run his mouth all the time.  maybe then teams would want him. I agree that it would be interesting to see but i highly doubt it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

IMHO he isn't half the receiver he used to be and I doubt he would play well with others. then there is the side of me that says TO and Moss with holt in the slot in their primes would have been absolute poison on any defense,however we are talking in the past tense. They need to groom as many young receivers as they can..So my answer to TO is no!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I was one of the people that thought TO to the Pats was completely idiotic. But the more I listen to his interviews lately I'm starting to think maybe he's finally growing up a little. He probably still has a screw loose. People don't get more sane as they age they get less. But I think Belichick and Brady could keep him in check. And if they can't, he would be out on his butt. It's a low risk move.I wouldn't mind 1 year for the vet minimum. He might be an a ss. But it's not like he's a rapist, drunk driver or wife beater. 

But not if comes at the expense of Holt. He's obviously not going to take Edelmen's spot. Slater is safe since he plays special teams. And Price will definitely be here. I wouldn't mind seing him take Aiken's spot.

I think it's unlikely that Bill would sign him after spending the offseason clearing out the bad characters. But if he's convinced TO has changed, I wouldn't rule it out. I could even see them bringing him in as insurance until Welker comes back.

Unless they give him Holt's spot, I'm good either way. 

One of the other posters listed all the Pats WRs and he forgot David Patten-so did I untiljust now. I could see him filling the Jabar Gaffney role if he has anything left. Solid player that knows the system.

The Pats are pretty set at WR. I don't see the TO thing happeniong     

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Put it to rest people. 

The Pats will keep 6 WRs. 

Moss, Welker, Edelman all have spots. 

Tate, Holt, Price are the favorites to win the final three positions. 

Aiken, Slater, Patten will be cut. 

Where would T.O. fit into the roster? Unless he can play nickel DB, he wouldn't make the team. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

dont need him or want him...we just got 3 NEW YOUNG RECIEVERS... 4 if you count tate...so let to drift off into the sunset...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

No thanks

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: TO and the Pats? He sounds interested:
    I was one of the people that thought TO to the Pats was completely idiotic. But the more I listen to his interviews lately I'm starting to think maybe he's finally growing up a little. He probably still has a screw loose. People don't get more sane as they age they get less. But I think Belichick and Brady could keep him in check. And if they can't, he would be out on his butt. It's a low risk move.I wouldn't mind 1 year for the vet minimum. He might be an a ss. But it's not like he's a rapist, drunk driver or wife beater.  But not if comes at the expense of Holt. He's obviously not going to take Edelmen's spot. Slater is safe since he plays special teams. And Price will definitely be here. I wouldn't mind seing him take Aiken's spot. I think it's unlikely that Bill would sign him after spending the offseason clearing out the bad characters. But if he's convinced TO has changed, I wouldn't rule it out. I could even see them bringing him in as insurance until Welker comes back. Unless they give him Holt's spot, I'm good either way.  One of the other posters listed all the Pats WRs and he forgot David Patten-so did I untiljust now. I could see him filling the Jabar Gaffney role if he has anything left. Solid player that knows the system. The Pats are pretty set at WR. I don't see the TO thing happeniong     
    Posted by dafoe

Completely agree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Someone will pick him up. Bet on it. And, as someone already said, he'll be complaining and causing trouble by week two. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If the Pats were desperate at wideout that would be a time to consider (and I only mean consider) TO.  They are not desperate; in fact they are pretty talented both now and from a potential standpoint.  No need to add a notorious malcontent whose skills are on the decline.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

I think timesedge's analysis was spot on.  The only thing I'd add would be that if the question was another red zone target, where T.O. still might have some value.

I'm a fan, not a scout, but from my arm chair here it seems Holt's value is as an SE or Flanker in a four-receiver set, because he's a good route runner and can adjust off the ball.  I think T.O.'s strength is more as a Y or Z in a three receiver set, being a tall, physically strong target near or in the end-zone.  The question would be, who do you want more?  Well, my guess is that our solution to having more large, strong fast targets in the red-zone is coming from the Hernandez/Gronk HB/TE spot, not the Y or Z.

My guess is that the place where T.O might help is not as strong an area of need now, or least not a point of emphasis.

Sections
Shortcuts