To Rusty, definitive analysis of how the Jets get $30 million UNDER cap this year cutting very few and renegotiating some

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Re: To Rusty, definitive analysis of how the Jets get $30 million UNDER cap this year cutting very few and renegotiating some

Let's all stop responding to Crusty. Poor guy is probably in his thirties, no girl friend (not ruling out boy friend) and still has to kiss his mother good night each and every night. And she reminds him he's a good boy. What a man.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: To Rusty, definitive analysis of how the Jets get $30 million UNDER cap this year cutting very few and renegotiating some

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

As the entire board can see, RKrap said "30 million under the cap" as his premise.  He only later sneakily adjusted it to "20-30 million" as a sneaky way to cover his butt, backpedaling from his orginal premise.

He's basing it off some homeriffic, deluded Jets dork who likes to use wishful thinking and no access to contract details to speculate at where the Jets are (now only 5.7 under the cap after a mass exodus of recent cuts).

The quickest way to get 24 more million under the cap in the next 2 weeks would be to trade Revis, but you can't trade right now. 

So, to get to 30 million under the cap with 10 starters under contract currently, it would take a miracle.

Once the draft hits at the end of April, NY will need to have around 5 mil set aside to get those rookies under contract.  With their major cap problems, they will likely lowball their draft picks, which will keep them out of camp for much of the summer as well. lol

They can't low ball the draft picks. The contracts are already set but the recent CBA and can't really be moved. Given where they pick unless they trade out of those picks they will need all the money they are under right now just to sign those guys

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

As the entire board can see, RKrap said "30 million under the cap" as his premise.  He only later sneakily adjusted it to "20-30 million" as a sneaky way to cover his butt, backpedaling from his orginal premise.

He's basing it off some homeriffic, deluded Jets dork who likes to use wishful thinking and no access to contract details to speculate at where the Jets are (now only 5.7 under the cap after a mass exodus of recent cuts).

The quickest way to get 24 more million under the cap in the next 2 weeks would be to trade Revis, but you can't trade right now. 

So, to get to 30 million under the cap with 10 starters under contract currently, it would take a miracle.

Once the draft hits at the end of April, NY will need to have around 5 mil set aside to get those rookies under contract.  With their major cap problems, they will likely lowball their draft picks, which will keep them out of camp for much of the summer as well. lol

They can't low ball the draft picks. The contracts are already set but the recent CBA and can't really be moved. Given where they pick unless they trade out of those picks they will need all the money they are under right now just to sign those guys

So, under the new CBA, no agents and GMs negotiate any rookie deal?  So, how does it work then?

It's very complicated structure but this was the best article I found to explain it

http://www.tfdssports.com/2012-articles/june/how-the-nfls-rookie-salary-scale-works.html

Here's a cap break down of contracts so you can test out the method

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/rookiecap.php

But the basic information is that it's always a 4 year deal with a 5th year option that the team needs to kick in at the end of the 3rd year, which if kicked in guarantees the 5th year at the average of the top 10 players at that position. You are allocated a certain amount of money depending on position they were picked at and the base has to be a certain minimum that is set. You can put more into the base or more into the signing bonus but the total amount spent is set. Now it's not offical but word is the unoffical is that the signing bonus of the player cannot exceed the signing bonus of previous picks so that's why last year the picks pretty much signed in order

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So, under the new CBA, no agents and GMs negotiate any rookie deal?  So, how does it work then?

It's very complicated structure but this was the best article I found to explain it

http://www.tfdssports.com/2012-articles/june/how-the-nfls-rookie-salary-scale-works.html

Here's a cap break down of contracts so you can test out the method

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/rookiecap.php

But the basic information is that it's always a 4 year deal with a 5th year option that the team needs to kick in at the end of the 3rd year, which if kicked in guarantees the 5th year at the average of the top 10 players at that position. You are allocated a certain amount of money depending on position they were picked at and the base has to be a certain minimum that is set. You can put more into the base or more into the signing bonus but the total amount spent is set. Now it's not offical but word is the unoffical is that the signing bonus of the player cannot exceed the signing bonus of previous picks so that's why last year the picks pretty much signed in order

That's interesting and a worse situation within the rookie cap than I figured.  I wouldn't even hire an agent. Just have a lawyer look over the deal and pay for that.

Well agents aren't just for contracts it's also for things like appearences (believe it or not even 7th rounds picks earn extra cash at signings), advertisment, team required appearences get negotiatied, and agents provide other services. So the role of the agent doesn't change though for low end draft picks hiring a lawyer if you can't do any of the above might save you a couple thousand

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Wow the Jets have to cut 4 guys and restructure a bunch of other guys while all the Patriots had to do was talk to TB and viola 30 million back in the warchest for the next two seasons! Sucks to be a jets fan,thank God I'm a 50 year Patriots fan.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I stopped reading it half way through, but I've got to admit it seemed very thoughtful and thorough. It makes me laugh so hard that I swear to god my face is going to fall clean off when I listen to Rusty talk about the scary salary cap. Take the Jets for example - they spent - they spent on corners, linebackers, recievers...and if it weren't for their horrible QB and a devastating injury to their best player...they would be a threat. As it was, they were a threat despite Sanchez for a couple of seasons. And now the bill is due, and with the way the NFL salary cap is set up a team like the jets, Skins, Cowboys...on and on and on...will be able to cut meaningless dead weight from their roster in a matter of days if they so choose - and will be right back in business like nothing happened. I have no clue why some people don't understand this...none.

A threat? To do what? No running game, no QB, no receivers. So their defense was adequate, this constitutes a threat?

I'm not reading War and Peace above but I skimmed it. Looks like they just need to cut/restructure half the team and they'll be under the cap. Same goes for a whole bunch of teams. As a Pats fan, color me unconcerned about the NYJ.  Last I checked their QB is still the worst starting QB in the league. They'll be 6-10 again next year. A real threat.

Agreed. Without a legit QB, they are nowhere