To the young D....WAKE UP!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To the young D....WAKE UP!

I think these kids were feeling just a little too good about themselves after Week 1, and probably Week 2. Well, you just faced your first real test...and got a big, fat, red 'F'.

Hightower...where were you? Spikes, you made on play all game...though one more than Hightower. McCourty....wow, that was an awful performance. DLine in GENERAL, what happened?

Not only did they not make plays, they couldn't take the plays that were HANDED to them.

Now, I hope this is a reality check, and you guys get back to at least puting in a solid effort. That nonsense last night was NOT even a good effort. It as an embarrassment. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when BB starts going over THAT tape. Nobody is without blame on that side of that ball. If THAT is what this defense is...we were all fooled. The team that played in the first 2 weeks didn't sho up last night. That's totally unnacceptable.

I can deal with losing, but hen a TE is hurdling one guy, and getting patted on the back by a second on the ay to the endzone....no. That's not good enough for a grade school team, nevermind 'professionals'.

So, pick yourselves up off the mat, get back into the film room, watch your mistakes (of which there are P-L-E-N-T-Y), and get back to flying around and hitting people.

Again...Hightower, I'm most disappointed in you. The only time I noticed you was on a TD run where you looked like you were sleep walking, and didn't even engage the blocker who got to yoyu 7 yards down field.

McCourty...you're a close second. I guess your rookie year was a fluke, you're not that good. but, seriously, you're not that bad as you showed last night either.

WAKE UP! 105-4 when leading by 9+ in the 4th....oh, 105-5 now. Better not see another one of those until at least 2014, if ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: To the young D....WAKE UP!

How about the D-COORDINATOR too!  To me, this 'bend but no break' Defense has GOTTA GO!  SEND these young players at the QB!  Their 'scheme' is weak and They let TOO many QB's (no matter who the QB is) look like Johnny Unitas back there - week in and week OUT!  It's disgusting....and WHY we have been Losing these 'big' games the past few years.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Boomer E, just mentioned the same thing on EEI - he said, "do the Patriots ever blitz the QB".....

NO PRESSURE ON QB.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Totally agree.

They try to take aay big plays, and it isn't working. PRESSURE takes away big plays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Pats D has been the same for 7 years.  Thye need creativity.

BB is venturing into Al Davis territory.  The Raiders cling to plays from the 1980s.

Now we have BB clinging to a rush 4 guys with a loose zone for the other 7.   When he wants to "get creative"  he rushes 3 and drops 8 guys in coverage.

The team needs some blitz packages - that can actually be used to confuse opposing QBs.  It is embarrassing how simple the Pats D is.

Easiest defense in the league to prepare for.  You know they won't blitz or pressure the QB - so its just a matter of taking what they give you.  Teams have that figured out.

The Patriots defense consists of - "hope the other team makes mistakes"

The game gets dictated to this defense every week;  For the last 5 seasons!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I won't overreact yet ......this team has been to 5 SBs. The formula seems to work.

My gripe is with McCourty and Arrington........both seemed overmatched,out of position and slow. Anybody agree?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I won't overreact yet ......this team has been to 5 SBs. The formula seems to work.

My gripe is with McCourty and Arrington........both seemed overmatched,out of position and slow. Anybody agree?

[/QUOTE]

Because there is no pass rush.  It is directly related.

They had a D coordinator at those super bowls.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB is venturing into Al Davis territory.  The Raiders cling to plays from the 1980s.

Now we have BB clinging to a rush 4 guys with a loose zone for the other 7.   When he wants to "get creative"  he rushes 3 and drops 8 guys in coverage.

The team needs some blitz packages - that can actually be used to confuse opposing QBs.  It is embarrassing how simple the Pats D is.

Easiest defense in the league to prepare for.  You know they won't blitz or pressure the QB - so its just a matter of taking what they give you.  Teams have that figured out.

[/QUOTE]

You're a major tool and always have been.

[/QUOTE]

Keen insight. 

Change your name again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The D last night was fine if not for the refs. On at least 3 of Bal's scoring drives the Pats had the 3rd down stop and were called for a D holding penalty that even had the announcers speechless. The first Bal scoring drive which completely changed the momentum of the game came from 2 calls that no one saw but the refs.

In football you can't speak enough about momentum and the flow of the game and the refs were the one's that dictated that and keep Bal in that game last night not the Pats D on the last drive of the game

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The most frustrating thing to me is it DID work...they just didn't amke BAL pay for their mistakes.

No less than THREE INTs were left on the field. McCourty dropped to, and Arrington tripped over a chalk line and fell on his face in front of a third.

But, I do agree they need some creativity. I can't think of the last time a LBer got a pressure. A TRUE LBer; Mayo, Hightower or Spikes. I don't know that they have any all season.

And WHY, for the love of God, was Spikes EVER in a position to have to cover the RB out of the backfield? I love the guy, but he's fairly useless in pass coverage. He should either be crashing the line on a run, or getting after the QB...NOT reacting and playing in space. The fact that the RB in question was Ray Rice makes it laughably bad.

Oh, and teams just throw on McCourty when they need to move the ball. Did he and his twin swap teams after 2010? Freakin twins.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I don't remember one called blitz last night. If they did call one, it certainly failed miserably. How mant did the raven call last night?....A LOT!!....and it worked several times.

I hated the officiating as much as anyone, and went to bed totally discusted. But when the Ravens were awarded 5 first downs for penalties on the Pats, but the Pats WERE AWARDED 8 FIRST DOWNS for penalties on the Ravens, I just don't buy into the Raven getting favored last night.

I think this defense is young & fast, and Patricia doesn't seem to be utilizing the speed whatsoever. And we need a better corner than McCourty....he's slow, and just isn't that good. I'm trying to stay patient with this kid, but it sure looks like that first year was more of a fluke.

Frustrating night all around, because that offense certainly didn't help us either...especially late in the game with a lead.....AGAIN.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

Agree with the blitzing several times lastknight was screaming for one. We know both Hightower and spikes can get after the ball carriers but making them stay back and not unleashing them is very frustrating. Have stated several times that the officiating was the worst I have ever seen but bad to both teams. At times last night I thought mccourty played well, very aggressive and physical, I do not believe he is veryeffective when the pats are playing zone d he needs to be in the receivers face. Ten years ago before all the offensiveruleskicked in he would have been great.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

McCourty needs to get rid of those gloves too.......

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

The problem with the refs is no none couldfigure out how to play, one play mccourty is mugging the receiver and no calls a play later a phantom call for nothing. Even watching at home was frustrating because of the lack of consistency by the refs. I enjoy tough smash mouth football and we got to see some of that last night. If the refs had stayed with one style of calls it would have been great.  Think this team is on the right track and the young d will wake up

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ClifordWasHere. Show ClifordWasHere's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The problem with the refs is no none couldfigure out how to play, one play mccourty is mugging the receiver and no calls a play later a phantom call for nothing. Even watching at home was frustrating because of the lack of consistency by the refs. I enjoy tough smash mouth football and we got to see some of that last night. If the refs had stayed with one style of calls it would have been great.  Think this team is on the right track and the young d will wake up

[/QUOTE]

That is ridiculous. That play by McCourty was timed perfectly. Another phantom call by the refs. McCourty is one of the best cover corners in the NFL and had the fewest penalties against him last year. Gooddell definitely told the refs to make sure he doesn't make any plays.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Frustrating night all around, because that offense certainly didn't help us either...especially late in the game with a lead.....AGAIN.

• I do not understand this reasoning.
    • When the D loses a 13 pt lead and a 9 point lead on 2 seperate occasions, you blame the O?
    • Theres a freaken problem with the D if they cant win without a 3 score lead.
    • Do you really expect the O to have a 3 score lead every game?  Like last year?
    • Grant it, the zebras really hurt the D last night but the O did what they could with the same issues.
    • Offensive PI my arse.  No offensive PI's on the ravens 3 push-off's?  Terrible all around, but you should win with 30pts.  No sacks, hits, and more dropped balls than the O. WOW!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

In response to ClifordWasHere's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tg19pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is ridiculous. That play by McCourty was timed perfectly. Another phantom call by the refs. McCourty is one of the best cover corners in the NFL and had the fewest penalties against him last year. Gooddell definitely told the refs to make sure he doesn't make any plays.

[/QUOTE]

We are both saying the same thing, mccourty thought the refs were letting him play, until they changed their minds.  I happen to be a big fan of mccourty love physical play but when the refs are not consistent it hurts him.  Tough game to watch last night.  This defense will be good in November if allowed to Play aggressive

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I just said this on another thread, but it bears repeating. Nobody in our defensive secondary with the possible exception of Patrick Chung seems to have any idead how to tackle somebody. I think they should all be watching game film of Raymond Clayborn until they recognize the correct way to wrap up and bring down the guy with the ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

McCourty is actually a pretty good tackler.  That play against Pitta was embarrassing, but you have to look at the whole body of work instead of one play.  Even last season when he struggled in coverage DMC was still pretty good at wrapping up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• I do not understand this reasoning.
    • When the D loses a 13 pt lead and a 9 point lead on 2 seperate occasions, you blame the O?
    • Theres a freaken problem with the D if they cant win without a 3 score lead.
    • Do you really expect the O to have a 3 score lead every game?  Like last year?
    • Grant it, the zebras really hurt the D last night but the O did what they could with the same issues.
    • Offensive PI my arse.  No offensive PI's on the ravens 3 push-off's?  Terrible all around, but you should win with 30pts.  No sacks, hits, and more dropped balls than the O. WOW!

[/QUOTE]

I never once put all the blame on the offense. The defense flat out sucked last night. Nobody can give up 500+ yards, 31 points, zero sacks, 3 dropped INTs and expect to win. But at the same time, both side have to do their part. Our offense had the ball with 3-4 mins left and a lead....and all they needed was a few first downs...game over. So they did in fact fail......ALONG WITH THE DEFENSE.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

It is a young D and it needs experience. It may not have time this year. Jones needs to, and will, get much stronger. Hightower, needs experience as well as many of the young players.

I too felt they had to start blitzing.

This league has passed rules to promote scoring. The only thing you can do is harrass the QB.

Think about this, how many times were the Ravens in Brady's face, all around him, really putting pressure on him? Dozens. He played great in spite of it.

How many times did the Pats D bother Flacco? ZERO. Zero is unacceptable.

In this pass happy league no pass rush equals defeat.  

Sections
Shortcuts