Today we start a new era in Brady history

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Today we start a new era in Brady history

We had the SB years with a balanced O and D stacked with leaders and play makers and smart players.

Then we had the almost years when we fell short culminating in 2006 and the loss of Branch.

Then came the high flying years starting in 2007 with Welker and Moss. But those teams always found a way to lose the big game.

Now we start a new era. But what exactly will it look like? We know we have two good TEs and a good TE off the bench. We know we have the core of a decent O line though not sure how good it will be with the loss of the best guy off the bench and not sure about the starting RT! We know we have 3 very good backs and a 4th who is solid and between the group there is a wide variety of talents. We know we have a dangerous but inconsistent player in Edelman. And we know we have an exceptional QB whose fortes are reading the D and throwing short and intermediate routes and generally protecting the ball.

Will the O turn more to the running game? Does that mean we are going to get an upgrade somewhere on the O line? Or get Jackson at RB to add something special? Will they add 1 or 2 WRs who can actually play in this O AND stretch the field (and so open up the field for the TEs and Edelman)?

And are we going to see the D make a major stgep forward to take up the slack of an O that may not put up as many points as they have since 2007?

It is disappointing to see Wes go. And for $12 M in two years doesnt seem right. But there must be some thought behind this in Foxboro. What will this team look like?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Today we start a new era in Brady history

And so I will propose one new characterisitc to this new era...

Vereen might be on the field a bit as a Harvin type WR along with playing RB his share of plays. Vereen is a unique talent on BB/Brady teams and he could add some special abilities and maybe open the field up some. If he is the only RB in the huddle and they have three TEs and 1 WR it could take great advantage of the blocking mismatches those extra two TEs might bring OR it could take advantage of coverage mismatches inlcuding some speed downfield from Vereen and the other WR.

This is NOT the identity of a team. But I suspect that it will be a part of the mismatch capabilty that BB will want to create and so DICTATE to the opponent how the game will be played.

We will miss Wes though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

And so I will propose one new characterisitc to this new era...

Vereen might be on the field a bit as a Harvin type WR along with playing RB his share of plays. Vereen is a unique talent on BB/Brady teams and he could add some special abilities and maybe open the field up some. If he is the only RB in the huddle and they have three TEs and 1 WR it could take great advantage of the blocking mismatches those extra two TEs might bring OR it could take advantage of coverage mismatches inlcuding some speed downfield from Vereen and the other WR.

This is NOT the identity of a team. But I suspect that it will be a part of the mismatch capabilty that BB will want to create and so DICTATE to the opponent how the game will be played.

We will miss Wes though.

I loved when they used Vereen on the field as a hybrid WR last season!  I want to see him on the field a lot this year....I can see them using him in Welker "esque" type plays.  You are right it could provide some mismatches down the field....Good call! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think the thought was why one receiver for 6mil when we can get 3 (Cribbs, Edelman, Amendola) for the same price? They did it last year with the WR core and CB core and they will do it again this year. They already missed out on the top S's in FA this year and there, all the good DT's are gone, and there is nothing out there suggesting they are even looking at CB's. They are waiting for the secondary market and for vet cuts. Then like Ellis they will give them $5mil for one year and say the spnt to the cap. This pisses me off. If they signed Talib or Vollmer before FA started, ok, or if they ad signed a couple players on D knowing they could lose Welker and be stuck in a weaker market then fine but not like this

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

It can't be about a new era in Brady history,

Needs to be about the Pats history...specifically the defense.

Welker played a critical role in keeping this putrid defense off the field with his first down conversions.

Time to build a defense that can make stops...not just a defense that needs to commit turnovers.

This includes secondary help and a pass rush.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

It can't be about a new era in Brady history,

Needs to be about the Pats history...specifically the defense.

Welker played a critical role in keeping this putrid defense off the field with his first down conversions.

Time to build a defense that can make stops...not just a defense that needs to commit turnovers.

This includes secondary help and a pass rush.

I was going to take that approach at first - Pats history and not Brady - but this O and team is still built around Brady for at least the next three years. ANd so this is a new era in the Pats Brady years. But with Brady at the helm of this team and still being a top QB the next "era" in Pats history will be either when Brady is no longer starting or relegated to being a game manager more than a play maker. That is not the case just yet. And so my approach...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Agree with all your sentiments and feel PatEng's frustration, yet we have as good a core as any team in the LG with Brady,Wilfork,Gronk,Hern,Mankins,Solder,Mayo,DMC and a young but talented defense. I would love to see Vareen on the field more as well and would like to see Amendola added with protection in the contract against injury. Also a back uo slot in case of injury(perhaps Vareen) What I would really like to see is Reed/Adrian Wilson or Woodson in at safety, we need a QB of the secondary in a bad way. We miss Rodney. Even if they don't play 16 games they can help a young unit that needs guidance..

Anyway with the TE's and lack of receiving threats with multiple young talented RB's, I say we focus on ball control and defense. Pound the rock and wear other teams out. Still have 25 milly in cap room. Lets get Talib under contract, and if Vollmer gets a lot of coin, let him walk. Cannon can fill in, we have coach Scar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Well, it looks like Amendola is the man. Younger and a little taller and a little quicker? But can he stay on the field? ANd if he can catch 85 passes on St L can he catch 110 here? Well, if he can stay healthy!

So how does this affect the character of this new team? Or is it plug and play and not a major change but tweaks... on offense I mean.

Does this mean that we can focus more seriously on RT and defense? We all would like to see the D take a major step forward to make this a more balanced team between the two corps...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Agree with all your sentiments and feel PatEng's frustration, yet we have as good a core as any team in the LG with Brady,Wilfork,Gronk,Hern,Mankins,Solder,Mayo,DMC and a young but talented defense. I would love to see Vareen on the field more as well and would like to see Amendola added with protection in the contract against injury. Also a back uo slot in case of injury(perhaps Vareen) What I would really like to see is Reed/Adrian Wilson or Woodson in at safety, we need a QB of the secondary in a bad way. We miss Rodney. Even if they don't play 16 games they can help a young unit that needs guidance..

Anyway with the TE's and lack of receiving threats with multiple young talented RB's, I say we focus on ball control and defense. Pound the rock and wear other teams out. Still have 25 milly in cap room. Lets get Talib under contract, and if Vollmer gets a lot of coin, let him walk. Cannon can fill in, we have coach Scar.

Agree with some things... not so much about a point or two. I would like to see the THREE TE cops (with Ballard remember) do some damage. ANd Vereen to blossom as a RB AND AS a WR. And I would like to see the running game be able to take charge against tough Ds. ANd for the D to be major.

But remember this: Tom Brady is exceptional and to get the most out of an exceptional QB you do not take the ball out of his hands. So you have to add WRs. No question. Amendola is now here. I expect at least one more upgrade in the WR corps.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

agreed. we won titles with the ball control offense and a tough hard nosed running attack.

lets go back to that. bring in steven jackson on the cheap and focus all else in fa and draft on defense (with the exception of drafting a wr and possibly bringing edelman back on the cheap)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Maybe... How committed is TB to that new era? It would be a pleasant surprise if TB came to prepare for the pre-season early

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Fly Amendola out to LA with Brady, Lloyd and whoever else they bring in.

Trade for FB Michael Robinson of Seattle.  Give him a new deal. Trade for Earl Bennett from Chicago and give him a new deal.

Fly Bennett down to LA with Brady as well.

I'm sure they could all stay in a bedroom in Tom's palace that's bigger than all of their houses put together.  LOL

I like the Bennett idea.  I liked him out of Vandy but he has seemed to underwhelm in Chicago.  I think a change of scenery would be good for a kid like him who has potential.  He would be a solid, low-cost option.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Exactly, ball control and D!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd rather spend the money on D. Get a good cb.  Welker was productive when he was here, but he's gone now and well still win the AFC E. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I hope BB revamps the WR position. Step 1 was done today. step 2 cut Loyd, step 3 go get 2 big 6'5 WRs, and another 6'6 TE maybe Pitta

Sections
Shortcuts