Tom and playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

Tom and playoffs

In my opinion other than the game against the Broncos last week, Tom hasn't been sharp including the Superbowl loss.  

Is Tom putting to much pressure on himself in playoff games which contribute to sub par Tom Brady performances?

Is it opposing teams are so much better in preparing a defense for him than the in the regular reason?

Or the quality of the other teams?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Tom and playoffs

He's done more good than harm in the playoffs.  When the bar for Brady is placed way up there, compared to other QBs, it doesn't take much to view his play as poor compared to expectations.  Look at Eli Manning right now.  He is having a very good streak, far better than his historical tendencies and as a result some view him as being better than Brady right now.  Flavor of the moment!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Really, what it comes down to is: Is there another QB in the NFL you would rather have in a big game? Let's look at some of the other premier passers.

Brees - Outstanding in the Super Dome, put him on grass or in tough weather conditions and he is average at best.

Rodgers - Got caught reading all of the headlines about how he is the next coming of Christ. Despite the hype, he has now gone one and done twice in the last three years.

P Manning - 9-10 career playoff record. A lot of the same flaws as Brees.

E Manning - Most of his biggest postseason wins have little to do with him. He got a gift from Favre in 2008, along with refs that can't see holding and a ball sticking to a helmet on his big "miraculous escape", another gift yesterday when Bradshaw's fumble was erased. If the refs had let that play go to the end, the 49ers would have won that game.

Roethlisberger - LOL TEBOWNED! No but seriosuly, he is either money in the bank or god awful in the playoffs, with no middle ground. His first Super Bowl was just awful.

Ryan - OK, I admit I thew this one in here just for a chuckle.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

Playoffs?  Playoffs?  Let's see:

Brady's made the playoffs 9 out of 10 years as a starter.
    Brady's gotten to the Super Bowl 5 out of 10 years as a starter.
    Brady's gotten to the AFC Championship 6 out of 10 years as a starter.

Oh and he's won 3 fr***ing Super Bowls.

Best Quarterback Ever.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Brady is really the least of my concerns in any football game.  Now, the overall game plan, both offensively and defensively, that has me worried.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Because the body of his work is not judged on one game.  I'm more concerned with this pass defense and how Eli is going to light it up against them.  I can't remember when I have seen more wide open ( and I mean no one within 10+ yards0 of a receiver than I did yesterday.  Granted, the pass rush has improved, the run D was good, but the secondary has still got a ways to go.  Two weeks ain't enough time.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Tebow

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Tom and playoffs:
    In my opinion other than the game against the Broncos last week, Tom hasn't been sharp including the Superbowl loss.   Is Tom putting to much pressure on himself in playoff games which contribute to sub par Tom Brady performances? Is it opposing teams are so much better in preparing a defense for him than the in the regular reason? Or the quality of the other teams?  
    Posted by BrocktonMike

Is he not playing well because he's getting pressure form the opponents, or is it because of the pressure to bring it home that's causing him to force passes.

Methinks a little bit of both.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

defenses play tighter and the refs let them play more physical in the playoffs because people dont want to see playoff games decided by the zebras...it is unusual for any qb to have rediculous games in the playoffs because it is much harder too...and i dont think brady was totally awful, he converted alot of key third downs, unfortunately the two pics really defined his night....but like i said, im thrilled this team showed the guts to win when brady wasnt at his best...espescially against a team like baltimore

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Not worried

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

In Response to Re: Tom and playoffs:
    Playoffs?  Playoffs?  Let's see: Brady's made the playoffs 9 out of 10 years as a starter. Brady's gotten to the Super Bowl 5 out of 10 years as a starter. Brady's gotten to the AFC Championship 6 out of 10 years as a starter. Oh and he's won 3 fr***ing Super Bowls. Best Quarterback Ever.
    Posted by mighty2012

I've not challenged Tom's achievments prior to the last Superbowl or regular season games.  Nor would I want another QB. 

The questions I posed are related to his post Superbowl playoff games and how it appears he isn't as sharp or maybe effective is a better word.

I am by no means a Tom hater.  In fact, my next German Shepard will be named after him because of Tom's fierce competitive persona. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

First off the competition is always better in the play-offs and you often see the best defenses.  Second, your premise is totally wrong.  Here is Brady compared to the other elite play-off QBs of history.  Brady has the highest winning percentage of any of them and ranks highly in just about every category.  I don't have completion percentages but Brady was over 62% which is less than his regular season average but again, consider the level of competition you see in the play-offs; you are facing the top teams in the league, 21 games against the best of the best.

Most Super Bowl Victories as Starting QB:

4  Joe Montana
    4  Terry Bradshaw
    3  Tom Brady
    3  Troy Aikman

Most Super Bowl Starts QB:

5  John Elway
    5  Tom Brady (counting SB XLVI)
    4  Terry Bradshaw
    4  Joe Montana
    4  Roger Staubach
    4  Jim Kelly

Most Conference Championship Appearances:

7  Joe Montana
    6  Tom Brady
    6  John Elway
    6  Roger Staubach
    6  Terry Bradshaw

Most Career Post Season wins:

16  Joe Montana
    16  Tom Brady
    14  Terry Bradshaw
    14  John Elway
    13  Brett Favre

Most Play-off Starts for QBs:

24  Brett Favre
    23  Joe Montana
    22  Tom Brady (counting SB XLVI)
    21  John Elway
    19  Terry Bradshaw
    19  Peyton Manning

Highest W/L Percentage (min 15 starts)

.762 (16-5)  Tom Brady
    .737 (14-5)  Terry Bradshaw
    .733 (11-4)  Troy Aikman
    .696 (16-7)  Joe Montana
    .667 (14-7)  John Elway

Most TD passes:

45  Joe Montana (23 games)
    44  Brett Favre (24 games)
    36  Tom Brady (21 games)
    32  Dan Marino (18 games)

Most TD passes in half:

5  Tom Brady

Most consecutive games with TD pass:

20  Brett Favre
    18  Tom Brady
    13  Dan Marino

Most TD Passes in a Game:

6  Tom Brady (2011)
    6  Daryle Lamonica (1969)
    6  Steve Young (1994)

Most Yards Passing:

5,855  Brett Favre (24 games)
    5,772  Joe Montana (23 games)
    5,389 Peyton Manning (19 games)
    5,009 Tom Brady (21 games)
    4,964  John Elway (22 games)

Most Passes Completed:

481  Brett Favre (24 games)
    472  Tom Brady (21 games)
    460  Joe Montana (23 games)
    453  Peyton Manning (19 games)
    385  Dan Marino (18 games)

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: Tom and playoffs : People werent saying he wasn't going to light them up, though.  After all, he had 316 yards against a "great" defense.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Yes, but is this "great" defense good enough to win the SB.  I was wrong, thinking that this team with this defense would never be in this position.l

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

But, the gameplan and calls are tied to Brady, too.  He's the least of your concern after seeing that game yesterday? Brady has gameplan say and carte blanche automony at the line of scrimmage. How can you say there is no concern when we know what good Ds do and seeing him struggle running the McDaniels finesse base? Also, there is someting not quite right about their relationship (Brady and O'Brien). What is with the over-thinking how to run this offense?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

You watch football right? Then you know what pass defense (or at least outstanding pass defense) looks like, the Ravens have that. The Ravens can cover - they were ranked number one against the pass in the nfl. I watched the texans game and I thought, wow we are going to struggle throwing the ball. Did Brady play poorly yesterday? Hell yes, but to carry on about him being a problem or that he is not the reason for our success is ridiculous.

We've been to 4 (plus one) Super Bowls with him, every single team was different - the only constant is him and Belichick. Coincidence? You'll find out just how irreplaceable he is when he retires in a few years, this place will be a ghost town when he leaves.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: Tom and playoffs : Would Bledsoe have gotten the Pats into the end zone on 4th and one?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

No, he would have thrown a pass to the outside, which would have been intercepted and returned for a touchdown.  Seen that once or twice in the Bledsoe years.

Sections
Shortcuts