Tom Brady is not the best QB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangr76. Show dangr76's posts

Tom Brady is not the best QB

I'm sorry Trent Dilfer....who has 3 super bowl rings?  Who has won two Super Bowl MVP's? Who is an NFL MVP?  Who led his team to a regular season record of 16-0?

If Philip Rivers is the best QB in the league then Shannon Sharpe is the quietest person I have ever met.

Trent Dilfer: Tom Brady is not the best QB

November, 30, 2010
    Nov 30

By Tim Graham
    New England Patriots star Tom Brady posted the first perfect passer rating of the season in last week's victory over the Detroit Lions.

Brady is considered by many to be the league's MVP through 12 weeks and has guided to the Patriots to a 9-2 record.

But ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer does not believe Brady is the best at his position.

"I really believe Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in football today," Dilfer said, "and I know that's almost sacrilegious with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady still playing quarterback. But nobody does more things in a cluttered environment than Philip Rivers does. Nobody pushes the ball down the field more than Philip Rivers does.

"His level of difficulty for which he plays the position, down in and down out, far exceeds that of any other quarterback in this league. All that being said, he still puts up sick numbers. He still wins games late. He gets everybody involved.

"Watch the film. Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in the NFL."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Tom Brady is not the best QB

I like this perspective:

Now let us turn to the team ranked second overall, the New England Patriots. Not learning my lesson from the first paragraph above, I will now damn my personal favorite team by saying nice things about them. This week, the Patriots move ahead of the 2004 Colts as the second-best offense in DVOA history through Week 12. More astonishing is the fact that New England's current DVOA of 45.2% matches the 45.2% offensive DVOA that the record-setting 2007 Patriots put up over the entire season. Remember, the 2007 Patriots faded from otherworldly to merely very good over the second half of the season. If the current Patriots don't have a similar fade, they have a shot to rank as the greatest offense in DVOA history, despite trading a Hall of Fame receiver in midseason.

Tom Brady is now almost 300 DYAR -- and 15 percentage points of DVOA -- ahead of any other quarterback. Once again, as in 2009, Brady is playing even better than his standard stats would otherwise indicate because he's put up big numbers against a tough slate of defenses. The issue is not as much that the Patriots have played the best defenses in the league -- they've only played four games against top 10 defenses -- and more that their schedule is missing games where Brady could roll up big stats on bad defenses. Only one of the Patriots' 2010 opponents, Buffalo, ranks among the worst dozen pass defenses according to DVOA. And it is about to get worse -- the Pats' final five games include interconference matchups with the number two (Green Bay) and number four (Chicago) pass defenses in the league, plus this week's rematch with a Jets defense that a lot of people (including me) think is probably better than its current DVOA ranking of 15th.

Now some readers might be asking themselves, "Wait a minute... Didn't Football Outsiders write an Any Given Sunday column after the Patriots lost to the Browns, showing that the Patriots offense had struggled since the Randy Moss trade because it couldn't get the ball to Wes Welker or the tight ends?" Why yes, we did write that column -- and, in fact, Tom Brady was having trouble getting the ball to Welker and the tight ends for month after the Moss trade. But those struggles completely ended after the Browns loss, and the entire Patriots offense has been en fuego for the last three weeks. Welker is back to putting up a performance similar to the rest of his Patriots career. The tight ends have actually played better in the past three games than they did in the first four games. And since Week 10, Brandon Tate and Deion Branch have played far better than Tate and Randy Moss played back in September.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

In Response to Tom Brady is not the best QB:
    [QUOTE]  I'm sorry Trent Dilfer....who has 3 super bowl rings?  Who has won two Super Bowl MVP's? Who is an NFL MVP?  Who led his team to a regular season record of 16-0? If Philip Rivers is the best QB in the league then Shannon Sharpe is the quietest person I have ever met. Trent Dilfer: Tom Brady is not the best QB November, 30, 2010 Nov 30 By Tim Graham New England Patriots star Tom Brady posted the first perfect passer rating of the season in last week's victory over the Detroit Lions . Brady is considered by many to be the league's MVP through 12 weeks and has guided to the Patriots to a 9-2 record. But ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer does not believe Brady is the best at his position. "I really believe Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in football today," Dilfer said, "and I know that's almost sacrilegious with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady still playing quarterback. But nobody does more things in a cluttered environment than Philip Rivers does. Nobody pushes the ball down the field more than Philip Rivers does. "His level of difficulty for which he plays the position, down in and down out, far exceeds that of any other quarterback in this league. All that being said, he still puts up sick numbers. He still wins games late. He gets everybody involved. "Watch the film. Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in the NFL."
    Posted by dangr76[/QUOTET]Trent Dilfer discussing great quarterbacks is like a kindergarten finger painter talking about the great impressionists......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Rivers is a very good QB, but it's a stretch to put him up with Brady and Manning. It's only Trent Dilfer saying it so I don't think it matters. Maybe if Phil Simms said it...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Dilfer is entitled to his opinion...no matter how stupid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Tom Brady is not the best QB:
    [QUOTE]  I'm sorry Trent Dilfer....who has 3 super bowl rings?  Who has won two Super Bowl MVP's? Who is an NFL MVP?  Who led his team to a regular season record of 16-0? If Philip Rivers is the best QB in the league then Shannon Sharpe is the quietest person I have ever met. Trent Dilfer: Tom Brady is not the best QB November, 30, 2010 Nov 30 By Tim Graham New England Patriots star Tom Brady posted the first perfect passer rating of the season in last week's victory over the Detroit Lions . Brady is considered by many to be the league's MVP through 12 weeks and has guided to the Patriots to a 9-2 record. But ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer does not believe Brady is the best at his position. "I really believe Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in football today," Dilfer said, "and I know that's almost sacrilegious with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady still playing quarterback. But nobody does more things in a cluttered environment than Philip Rivers does. Nobody pushes the ball down the field more than Philip Rivers does. "His level of difficulty for which he plays the position, down in and down out, far exceeds that of any other quarterback in this league. All that being said, he still puts up sick numbers. He still wins games late. He gets everybody involved. "Watch the film. Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in the NFL."
    Posted by dangr76[/QUOTE]
    First off im a huge patriots and brady fan, so don't think im coming off as a troll

All of Brady's accomplishments are good and all, but I think Dilfer is talking about the best quarterback right now. What Brady did in 2001, 2003, 2004, and 2007 is irrelevant to the question of who is the best quarterback RIGHT NOW. No doubt brady's career is 10X rivers career and Brady is still a first ballot HOF.

Its an opinion question.

That being said, I still think the top QB in the NFL today is still Brady, but that doesnt mean someone is completely psychotic if they pick Rivers. PR17 is having a hell of a season and people could put up a valid argument. Same thing with Manning, a valid argument could still be put forth as to why he's the best qb in the nfl today. 

Right now the top 5 quarterbacks are:
    Brady
    P Manning
    Rivers
    Brees
    Rogers 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This is Trent Dilfer we are talking about here.  Probably the worst or at least top 2 worst QBs to ever win a super bowl.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I respect Dilfer and will cut him some slack, it's just his opinion.  

If you were starting a franchise and needed a QB I could see picking Rivers or Rodgers because of their youth (I like Rodgers better than Rivers personally), but if Trent Dilfer needed to pick one QB to win one game to save his life, I wonder if he'd still choose Rivers?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady is not the best QB:
    [QUOTE]I respect Dilfer and will cut him some slack, it's just his opinion.   If you were starting a franchise and needed a QB I could see picking Rivers or Rodgers because of their youth (I like Rodgers better than Rivers personally), but if Trent Dilfer needed to pick one QB to win one game to save his life, I wonder if he'd still choose Rivers?
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Good point on the any one game. I wouldn't think of picking Rivers in the first six games of any season or the playoffs. Actually, I wouldn't think of picking him at all, I was just pointing out that he is inconsistent in the beginning of the season and marginal in the playoffs. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It's just Dilfer's opinion. 

That said, I question how he can look at Rivers vs the Colts and Brady vs the Colts on back to back weekends, and think Rivers looked better. 

And yeah, Rivers pushes the ball more effectively downfield than Brady or Manning right now because he has better deep threats than Brady or Manning. I don't care what a player's name is ... they are how they perform. Is Brandon Lloyd garbage because he only had good seasons before this great one? Crayton and Tutu have been running past people all season, and I don't care if they replaced Jerry Rice and Chris Carter in their prime, they are getting open, deep, often. Brady or Manning would be pushing the ball to them as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Sorry, but not all opinions are equally valid. Having an especially valid opinion takes a ton of research and self-reflection and perspective. 

Though it does depend on what you consider "best." I'm not willing to call anyone the "best" who doesn't have a ring at that position, and Dilfer has a different take on that. But if Rivers is so great, he also has to have some accountability for San Diego's ridiculously slow starts. If they were in the AFC east Dilfer would have a hard time getting away with saying he was the best, but since they still have a chance to do their usual push to win their division and sneak into the playoffs, he can say it.

For Dilfer to say that Rivers is as good as Brady or Manning, that's a valid opinion, I think it's overranking Rivers a bit (I have him sixth currently but anywhere in the 3-7 range seems valid). 

But for Dilfer to say Rivers is far and away the best, well, that's an opinion all right - a nutty one.

Having said that San Diego does have the look that they could take it deep into the playoffs this year. If they can settle the Chiefs down...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Dilfer is indeed entitled to his opinion.  And, to be honest, Pats fans are not totally objective with respect to Brady.  That said, if you look at the way Brady has played over the course of this season and the past 3 games in particular it's hard to make a case that he isn't.  I mean the guy loses arguably the best deep threat ever to play at his position in the middle of the season and yet it appears that he doesn't miss a beat. 

And that's my opinion and I know more than Dilfer, so there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]I like this perspective: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2010/week-12-dvoa-ratings Now let us turn to the team ranked second overall, the New England Patriots. Not learning my lesson from the first paragraph above, I will now damn my personal favorite team by saying nice things about them. This week, the Patriots move ahead of the 2004 Colts as the second-best offense in DVOA history through Week 12. More astonishing is the fact that New England's current DVOA of 45.2% matches the 45.2% offensive DVOA that the record-setting 2007 Patriots put up over the entire season. Remember, the 2007 Patriots faded from otherworldly to merely very good over the second half of the season. If the current Patriots don't have a similar fade, they have a shot to rank as the greatest offense in DVOA history, despite trading a Hall of Fame receiver in midseason. Tom Brady is now almost 300 DYAR -- and 15 percentage points of DVOA --  ahead of any other quarterback . Once again,  as in 2009 , Brady is playing even better than his standard stats would otherwise indicate because he's put up big numbers against a tough slate of defenses. The issue is not as much that the Patriots have played the best defenses in the league -- they've only played four games against top 10 defenses -- and more that their schedule is missing games where Brady could roll up big stats on bad defenses. Only one of the Patriots' 2010 opponents, Buffalo, ranks among the worst dozen pass defenses according to DVOA. And it is about to get worse -- the Pats' final five games include interconference matchups with the number two (Green Bay) and number four (Chicago) pass defenses in the league, plus this week's rematch with a Jets defense that a lot of people (including me) think is probably better than its current DVOA ranking of 15th. Now some readers might be asking themselves, "Wait a minute... Didn't  Football  Outsiders write an  Any Given Sunday column  after the Patriots lost to the Browns, showing that the Patriots offense had struggled since the  Randy Moss  trade because it couldn't get the ball to  Wes Welker  or the tight ends?" Why yes, we did write that column -- and, in fact,  Tom Brady  was having trouble getting the ball to Welker and the tight ends for month after the Moss trade. But those struggles completely ended after the Browns loss, and the entire Patriots offense has been  en fuego  for the last three weeks. Welker is back to putting up a performance similar to the rest of his Patriots career. The tight ends have actually played better in the past three games than they did in the first four games. And since Week 10,  Brandon Tate  and  Deion Branch  have played far better than Tate and  Randy Moss  played back in September.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

hmmm, interesting that it mentioned Welkers numbers....how they were down until they started having him run different routes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Is the entire wolrd full of @ssholes and idiots?

Manning, Rivers, and all the rest of the so-called "best quarterbacks" eventually choke when the season is on the line.

What the h3ll has Rivers done anyway? The guy has won nothing!

Until these jokers win the SB this year, anyone praising these clowns are just trying to blow smoke up our @sses!

Go Pats!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

I saw him give his explaination on ESPN. He talked about stats over the last 5 years until someone reminded him that Brady didn't even play one of those years and was still recovering from knee surgery the following year. Stats are like the Bible. You can pull out bids and pieces then interpet them to support whatever you want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Rivers does a nice job with Gates taking up double teams, playing in a bad division (or at least it has been recently), good, big WRs for years there, LT, etc.

Butler and now AJ Smith have really set the foundation there through the draft for the last decade, including picking Rivers.

But, to pretend Rivers is better than Manning or Brady is hilarious.

Like last year, or in recent years, there is always some talk about a QB surpassing Manning or Brady, most notably Brees.

Brees has ascended into the discussion as has Rivers, but you can't put either above Manning or Brady.

If Rivers were to win a SB, I'd say he's closely moving in, but until then, no.

I also think he is a weak leader.  The immaturity and mouthy style through the years has not helped that team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]This is Trent Dilfer we are talking about here.  Probably the worst or at least top 2 worst QBs to ever win a super bowl.
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he's a very good analyst.

I have no issue with him propping up Rivers because he's been good shorthanded this year too, but he's clearly not at the Brady level.

He's just trying to make a case.  Nothing wrong with that, but I don't even think Chargers fans would buy that one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Wait a minute, let's get this straight, you met Shannon Sharpe?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Why would anyone want to meet Shannon Sharpe? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Why would anyone want to meet Shannon Sharpe? 
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I'd rather meet his relative, Zenyatta.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldevents. Show goldevents's posts

2 minutes left in the game; who do you send in as your quaterback? Right now in the NFL there are only 2 choices and one of them has thrown 7 picks in the last 2 weeks.  TB is the best in the league.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

What about Eli Manning? bahwhhaa

You walked right into that one.  Giants front 7 won SB 42.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Dilfer is a dumba$$. if rivers was the best QB in the league, his team wouldn't always start the season 2-5

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

"but I think Dilfer is talking about the best quarterback right now. What Brady did in 2001, 2003, 2004, and 2007 is irrelevant to the question of who is the best quarterback RIGHT NOW."

Someone correct me if I'm using math incorrectly here but I think 9-2 is better then 6-5 (By a lot).  So RIGHT NOW Brady is by far the better QB.