Tom Brady is on pace to.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Re: Tom Brady is on pace to.....

In Response to Re: Tom Brady is on pace to.....:
    In Response to Re: Tom Brady is on pace to..... : Russ - I wasn't being kind when I said your team looks like the colts.  what I meant by it was a great QB, great receivers, suspect defense.  And yes - even bad - the pats d is better than the colts, but not by that much (and I don't mean the colts d this year).  I am always suspect of this idea of slowing down an offense so as to not leave time on the clock for the opposition.  You can do this when you only need a FG and you are in FG range, but when you need 7.  you've got to get your points when they are available.  attempting to add plays to a drive just keep the ball away from the opposition when a team is down and needs a touchdown, imo, is wrong.  Adding plays can mean adding opportunities for turnovers.  It also means eliminating possible scoring opportunities just to keep the ball.  And what happens if the pats get a 1st down but then can't get it in from there.  What if there's a false start or just 3 bad plays and now the pats are in a 4th down situation and don't get it in.  Then you'd really have brady's neck.  Down by more than 3, get the td when you can.  Remember, the defense is made up of professionals, too, and their purpose is to keep the offense from scoring.
    Posted by UD6

I have to say that I agree with you UD - the Pats are looking very much like the Colts of the last few years (not this year)

While Rusty won't concede this - I put the blame squarely on BB the GM ( as I said I would after the draft when he made no effort to address a highly suspect D) - I said then that if he doesn't address the D in free agency then I would get in line with the folks that would be busting BB - well, I am in line with them

Rusty of course, like you UD, is more a fan of BB then he is of the Patriot team - and will tolerate no questions of his hero - much like you won't tolerate any question of Peyton Manning's suspect 'greatness'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Q = what would the pats record be right now without Brady?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Posted by UD6

Russ would say 7-1. Lol!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Posted by UD6

With this schedule, 2-6.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady is on pace to..... : Is this you're version of saying "I don't have a way to counter his evidence as to why it's rooted in a shizo offense"? Sure looks that way. NE's D />GB's D Fact. If you are that attracted to one dimensional pass rushers and can't see our pass rush is actually pretty good, go buy a Dwight Freeney shirt.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Are you saying that the Patriots D is or isn't better than GB's?

The Packes have given up less total yards, less passing yards, less rushing yards, fewer points, have a lower opponent passer rating, more takeaways and more sacks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Right, but why is our offense stalled for entire halves? If it's not the first half one week, it's the second half the next. At least our D competes for more minutes, over 4 QTRS. That's the point. When Brady throws for less than 40 times, the chances go up that we win. Under 35? A borderline LOCK. I agree our team looks like the COlts in some games when we use that 60% base spread. Why do we? 4 or 5 legit good or solid options at RB, two nice TEs, etc.

4 or 5 legit good or solid options at RB? There are only five RBs on the roster: Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Faulk, Ridley and Veeren. Woodhead and Faulk are third down backs. Vereen is a complete unknown (he has not played an offensive snap yet this season). I am not sure what is up with Ridley. After his 9 carry, 97 yard performance vs the Raiders I though we would be seeing more of him, but instead we get less (13 carries for 42 yards since including dress but not seeing the field vs the Steelers).  I like BJGE, but (despite last time vs the Jets) I still think he will wear down if you ride him to hard (average 15+ carries per game). I think we have a decent stable of RBs if you spread the carries out right. Forget Vereen until we know better. You max out BJGE at 15 carries, you give Ridley another 10 and another 5-10 from the Faulk/Woodhead combo. 

I totally agree on the TEs, but while they are the best TE combo in the NFL, Hernandez is really basically playing WR on this team because after Welker the WR group is so thin.

I think we have to balance the offense more both running/passing and get away from 30% of all plays being for Welker/Gronk. 

I think the main thing I disagree with you is where the blame for all of this goes. You want to blame Bill O'Brien and Brady, but I put the blame squarely on BB. He is the head coach and the GM. He is responsible for both the talent on the team and ultimately game plan on both sides of the ball. 

He is the one who decided after 2006 to change from a defensive team that won three out of four Super Bowls to an offensive one that made it back once (with a good portion of that old D intact) and has not been able to win a playoff game since.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady is on pace to..... : I love how you think you claim I consult wiith BB, as you state here regulalry that you know more than BB with this sarcastic crap armchair GM crap. You're a goober who likely has a pathetic job becase you clearly lack education, I can tell by the way you write and articulate. You're also a moron on this topic. Ironically, you mention Bruce Smith, who did very little in SB 25 (or any SB unwilling to stop the run) as the Giants ran all over him, managing the game and pulling of an upset over the high scoring yet risky Bills offense. LOL! Walked right into another one, didn't you, sally? If you want stats, join another fantasy league. Dork.

Jeez, you got me:(   You're right, Bruce Smith is a terrible football player!! So too are Johny Unitas, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice, LT, Ray Lewis, Brady on and on and on. You're right, I'd much rather have Kyle Arrington and Sergio Brown than any of those guys...they are young and exciting - part of this massive rebuild project that you purchased.

You know for someone as uneducated and dumb as I am (unemployed, living in mom's basement, too old, too young, daffy, irrational, exposed, childish) YOU are the one that goes around here making a fool out of yourself.

Mr. "Famous" have you gone out and purchased that gallon of whole milk that mom didn't supply you with at birth? Google it, it does the brain good. LOL! 

The clock is ticking, it won't be long until you pack up your 10000 posts in three months and go crying with your tail between your legs. MOMMY!! The mean old Patriot fans didn't see things the way I did!!!! WhAaAaaaaaa!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Right, but why is our offense stalled for entire halves? If it's not the first half one week, it's the second half the next. At least our D competes for more minutes, over 4 QTRS. That's the point. When Brady throws for less than 40 times, the chances go up that we win. Under 35? A borderline LOCK. I agree our team looks like the COlts in some games when we use that 60% base spread. Why do we? 4 or 5 legit good or solid options at RB, two nice TEs, etc.

But Russ, stats are a picture.  Their results can even become the basis for a method (50/50 run/pass mix).  But methods don't work every time.  Remember, there's another team on the field.  And in the case of the Giants, the stats/method didn't work.  The 50/50 mix of the first half resulted in no points and a turnover.  The higher pass to run mix in the second half resulted in 20 points and 2 turnovers. 

The latter was the better result in this game.  Further, as I noted.  Teams with leads (gotta get that lead first) run the ball more to use up clock.  Teams that are down pass more because that's the quickest way to move the ball as well as allow for clock stoppage on incomplete passes. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady is on pace to..... : 4 or 5 legit good or solid options at RB? There are only five RBs on the roster: Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Faulk, Ridley and Veeren. Woodhead and Faulk are third down backs. Vereen is a complete unknown (he has not played an offensive snap yet this season). I am not sure what is up with Ridley. After his 9 carry, 97 yard performance vs the Raiders I though we would be seeing more of him, but instead we get less (13 carries for 42 yards since including dress but not seeing the field vs the Steelers).  I like BJGE, but (despite last time vs the Jets) I still think he will wear down if you ride him to hard (average 15+ carries per game). I think we have a decent stable of RBs if you spread the carries out right. Forget Vereen until we know better. You max out BJGE at 15 carries, you give Ridley another 10 and another 5-10 from the Faulk/Woodhead combo.  I totally agree on the TEs, but while they are the best TE combo in the NFL, Hernandez is really basically playing WR on this team because after Welker the WR group is so thin. I think we have to balance the offense more both running/passing and get away from 30% of all plays being for Welker/Gronk.  I think the main thing I disagree with you is where the blame for all of this goes. You want to blame Bill O'Brien and Brady, but I put the blame squarely on BB. He is the head coach and the GM. He is responsible for both the talent on the team and ultimately game plan on both sides of the ball.  He is the one who decided after 2006 to change from a defensive team that won three out of four Super Bowls to an offensive one that made it back once (with a good portion of that old D intact) and has not been able to win a playoff game since.
    Posted by FrnkBnhm

This is a valid point. I talk about the shift in philosophy often. That being from defensive to offensive. I think we clearly decided to build this team around Brady and the offense after 06. Obviously the 1st time Brady gets real weapons in the receiving core he breaks every record in the book, so it is difficult for most to acknowledge that may be the incorrect way to build your roster. Look at the Colts, they built there team around Manning for over a decade and barely got by NE to win there only SB.

Point being I blame BB to a certain extent. I think he did what he did based on the offensive shift in the league(rules etc.) I also think if that is the case then he should have made sure we had an O.C that could help Brady and the offense have balance and not be one dimensional. So far he has failed in that aspect.

If the offense is the basket in which you have placed most of your eggs then the offense is to blame when they cannot do enough to win a playoff game. 14 points by the offense in the most important game in N.E history is a failure of epic proportion. Ever since that game we have been a one dimensional offense in the most important games of our season, and we lose because of it.

If we win a Superbowl again it will not be due to our defense, it will be because our offense won the game. It is a difficult concept I admit but it is 100% correct in this fans opinion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Posted by UD6

The way the Pats D is playing - 3-5 or 2-6 - they wouldn't be 0-8, under orders from Bill Polian to tank for the right to take Andrew Luck

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady is on pace to..... : All true except in 2007 he got Brady and Moss with an epic series of moves,  so that's not a failure. Branch held out in 2006 which through a fly in the ointment. BB then addressed it in 2007. I have no issue with the logic, but it's this addiction DURING THE GAME. Josh McDaniels's gamecalling with Brady in SB 42, IS. BB doesn't micromanage his assistants.  Sure he speaks up and overrules, etc, but please. The proof is when BB traded Moss. Moss not here from Week 4-- />Week 17 and Brady's performance actually more impressive than his 2007 performance, the latter actually being an easier offense to run, which  is telling. I was relieved when Moss was dealt. Many didn't see it. They flipped out. They still flip out and don't get it. What happens in January? They overthink it, fail to execute in it, and then O'Brien and Brady spiral into nowhere. Why is this soley on BB? Can B fix it? Absolutely. He fixed it after BUffalo and apparently made a mistake giving Brady and O'Brien too much leash again. There is no way you can look at WHY this offense is good, why it's skittish or BAD, and then not see WHY it is that way. If it's not arrogance or ego, then what is it? So, we're back to where we were after Buffalo's loss again and I don't know we do this once or twice a season for it to tell us it's a failure. Just unbelievable and I don't expect BB to steal the play chart from O'Brien during a game and or to start constantly overruling O'Brien during games.

Russ, you are calling Tom Brady arrogant, and saying his ego is too big. That is ignorant on your part. You are talking about probably the most humble "highest winning %" QB in NFL history. I have never seen a more succesful athlete as grounded and down to earth as Tom Brady is. Ever.

I am sorry but you are barking up the wrong tree on this one. Anyone of us after breaking the NFL record for td receptions in a season would naturally want to fall back on the pass. IT IS HUMAN NATURE. That is where proper coaching comes in. The QB no matter how many records he has broken, no matter how many championships he has won IS STILL A PLAYER. He needs to be coached, held in check, helped. We don't have that guy on our coaching staff.

Trying to portray Brady as the problem is what is hurting you in your on going crusade to argue with trolls, which honestly you should really put a clamp on because all it does is ruin many threads that you have great points on.

You have the right idea that our offense is under performing and it is absolutely having a negative effect on our defense, but it is the offensive philosophy that needs to be changed and that only comes from proper coaching.

When a Qb throws 50 tds to 8 interceptions he SHOULD want to throw his way out of a problem, but again that is where we need a coach to COACH him. This is a different offense from 07, actually it is a completely different offense then 07. Built around a great slot rec, 2 great TE's and multiple RB's. Our coaching should not LET Brady throw the ball 49 att's against the 29th ranked run defense EVER.

Ego on Brady's part = NO.

Failure to coach a star athlete on the coaches part = YES.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Brady has said publicly he doesn't like playing under center. So, you are saying the ego issue lies with BB, and not Brady, but BB is a defensive minded coach so he needs become offensive coordinator, too? Doesn't that conflict with trolls who claim BB tries to wear too many hats?

Well, It doesn't conflict with trolls who say BB tries to wear too many hats. It probably supports there theories, but it is what it is.  Do you think Obrien is a sound O.C? Well BB hired him. BB has sat by and watched him use the spread more then he should. It is ok to find fault with coaching, it does not mean you don't want him to be the coach!

You cannot replace the veteran exp. of Weiss,Crennel unless you have understudies who coach the same. Well we had 2 in man-genius and Mcdaniels (who went with the spread offense because our 2007 personnel dictated it) but they were also gone within a few years. Now we don't have many other then Scar and Pepper. Even Woicik our strength and conditioning coach(32 year vet who btw has 6 rings) is gone.

Something to be said for unity in the coaching ranks...we have none.

If Brady is our problem then we have no hope....at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Brady has said publicly he doesn't like playing under center. So, you are saying the ego issue lies with BB, and not Brady, but BB is a defensive minded coach so he needs become offensive coordinator, too? Doesn't that conflict with trolls who claim BB tries to wear too many hats?

No, I do not want BB to the offensive coordinator. If you think O'Brien is the problem with the offense, you should want BB to fire him and I find a new one (who in your mind does not constantly put the D in a bad position). That is part of his current responsibility as head coach and GM (not an added responsibility).

Sections
Shortcuts