Tom Brady says...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Tom Brady says...

"Top of the mornin' to ya."
    Tom Brady

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Re: Tom Brady says...

Needs to stand closer to his razor.  Either that or change the blade.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady says...:
    Looks like he just farted. I am assuming this is at the Derby over the weekend? 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Yep. It's so easy to make fun of him but hey, if he plays like he did last year, let him dress however he wants, do whatever he wants.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Damn these Uggs are far too hot to be wearing in this weather, and they don't really match the hat.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Damn these Uggs are far too hot to be wearing in this weather, and they don't really match the hat.
    Posted by UD6

That is because GOMER still looks like he is working a Wally's Gas Station in Hickville!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrick69. Show patrick69's posts

In Response to Tom Brady says...:
    "Top of the mornin' to ya."
    Posted by rochfan

LOVE IT!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Problem for me is..he looks too much like this guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : Yep. It's so easy to make fun of him but hey, if he plays like he did last year, let him dress however he wants, do whatever he wants.Posted by apdynasty23

This.

End result, our QB has changed mightily these past several years. Marriage, kids, and now he seems to care about his clothing and his hair.

But with his level of play on the field higher than its ever been, who really cares? No one in New England, that's for certain.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Look guys, most of us here look and dress a certain way because of our wives or girlfriends and I'd venture a guess that few look like this;

So..........before you jump so quick to slam TB for his appearence take a second and think what you would do if your wife did look like this and she asked you to let your hair grow out.

I doubt anyone would argue

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : That is because GOMER still looks like he is working a Wally's Gas Station in Hickville!
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Mayberry? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : Mayberry? 
    Posted by UD6

You ARE sharp today!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

No...no.  I can stand all the hair braids, and whatnot...these have like a new age edge.  They say, I can even touch upon the effeminate, b/c I play football, I'm nasty, I'm 6'4, I'm an MVP and got a brazilian model for my chica....  I cannot stand the all-too-white and rich and pretentious, and ritzy and have never touched dirt in my life look with the hat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Look guys, most of us here look and dress a certain way because of our wives or girlfriends and I'd venture a guess that few look like this; So..........before you jump so quick to slam TB for his appearence take a second and think what you would do if your wife did look like this and she asked you to let your hair grow out. I doubt anyone would argue
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Sam makes a good point (although the way some posters on this board act, I question his use of the word "most" in regards to some members actually having realtionships). But all kidding aside, we've seen Brady change right before our eyes from the kind of lunchpail, chip-on-his-shoulder guy that a lot of us could admire into . . .   well . . .   into a rich guy with a hot wife who doesn't care what we think. More power to him, as far as I'm concerned, but if he played for any other team I would recognize him for the deusche he has clearly become . . .   which is all perfectly well and fine . . .  so long as he keeps making every other quarterback in the league look like Spergeon Wynn by comparison.

It's all about the laundry.

There are very few players I would never root for, even if they put on the Flying Elvis . . .   but I most certainly would jeer Tom Brady if he wore any other colors.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

The Derby Is About HATS!!!!!!  Tom Brady is a man who's very comfortable with himself---and he is white and he is rich. Too white??? Too rich???? Really, Laz!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : You ARE sharp today!
    Posted by bradleyBliss

But not as sharp as Tommy, right? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ummm. It's the Kentucky Derby man. Fedora, Panama, or Pork Pie ... always straw. This is one of the oldest male traditions in the United States. 

I guess no one here has ever visited the south. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Ummm. It's the Kentucky Derby man. Fedora, Panama, or Pork Pie ... always straw. This is one of the oldest male traditions in the United States.  I guess no one here has ever visited the south. 
    Posted by zbellino

Further proof that, as an iconic national event, The Derby (much like boxing  before it) has outlived its usefullness.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : Further proof that, as an iconic national event, The Derby (much like boxing  before it) has outlived its usefullness.
    Posted by p-mike

That is certainly true. Lots of the South is full of old traditions that people still observe. My neighbor was shouting during the derby like it was the superbowl, and had a huge party. I go to bourbon tastings to watch (though this year I was working). White linene parties, elaborate homecomings in Oxford, etcetera. 

It is like walking with ghosts of culture.

But the fact that people consider this a.) effeminate, or b.) something for rich folks only, shows they don't understand the event. People in New Orleans walk around in hats to go watch the derby on TV at social events.

That and mint julip sales go through the roof.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I figured everyone knew it was for the Derby.  But why in the world would that stop anyone from making fun?

Tom Wolfe called.  He wants his wardrobe back, but keep the hair.

BTW -  the derby had it biggest crowd in history on Saturday. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : But not as sharp as Tommy, right? 
    Posted by UD6

How sharp could Gomer's official dolts ball washer be????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Z --

It's an interesting turn of phrase -- "walking with ghosts of culture" (although I'm not sure culture and tradition are the same thing) -- and I think it certainly resonates more in the true south . . .  particularly in N'awlins, where dressing up for a wild party is commonly referred to as "Tuesday."

I'll never forget -- if I live to be a hundred -- my delight and confusion the first time I saw sorority girls show up at Bryant-Denny Stadium in evening gowns and porkpie hats.

I'll be the first to admit -- having grown up in New England -- that it was only its uniqueness as an event, back in the days of only three networks, that drew people like me to The Derby. I cared no more for mint juleps or southern "elegance" at Lexington than I cared for wearing white, or strawberries-and-cream, at Wimbledon. It was fortunate for me, back then, that outstanding competitors named Secretariat and McEnroe and Seattle Slew and Borg and Alydar and Navratilova and Evert and  Affirmed and  . . .   well . . .  you get the idea . . .

I'm simply not sure that tradition alone can sustain a sport . . .  or a spectacle . . . or whatever you want to call it.

I can't help but remember -- and this is particularly poignant in reference to the Sport of Kings -- Danny DeVito in Other People's Money.

"I bet the last company around that made buggy whips made the best goddamn buggy whip you ever saw. Would you like to have been a stockholder in that company?"

There's a reason I mentioned boxing in my previous post, and while I'm not sure how "effeminate" came into the discussion, I'm pretty sure anyone who mentioned how horse racing is "only for the rich" hasn't missed the point at all . . .

Except about the gamblers . . .  which I couldn't help but notice you omitted from the "tradition."

Sections
Shortcuts