Tom Brady says...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Re: Tom Brady says...

Will The Great Gatsby ..err Tom Brady..be summering in the Hamptons this year ?

Please have a sense of humor to enjoy this thread.

Some of who do not believe Tom B to be some sort of sacred cow know these pictures were for the Derby (or Carnival) and still find them entertaining.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Hey,

It could have been worse.  He could've worn this

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Interesting photo, dogg(gggg).

Notice how the one on the left looks as if you might be contemplating actually disembowelling the photographer, while the one on the right merely doesn't know how to pretend to smile.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady says...:
    [QUOTE]Interesting photo, dogg(gggg). Notice how the one on the left looks as if you might be contemplating actually disembowelling the photographer, while the one on the right merely doesn't know how to pretend to smile.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

makes you wonder if maybe they were forced to wear the hats.  hmmm.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I figured everyone knew it was for the Derby.  But why in the world would that stop anyone from making fun? Tom Wolfe called.  He wants his wardrobe back, but keep the hair. BTW -  the derby had it biggest crowd in history on Saturday. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Haha. That is funny.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : Further proof that, as an iconic national event, The Derby (much like boxing  before it) has outlived its usefullness.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]I don't know about all the so called tradition but derby week in Louisville is akin to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and just as much fun. You might like it if you ever go there! I was there for the Derby and had a blast,the women of Kentucky are quite gracious....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : Haha. That is funny.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

obvious reference to the remade "Ocean's 11". 

"Ted Nugent called.  He wants his shirt back."  

One of the best lines of the movie. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : I don't know about all the so called tradition but derby week in Louisville is akin to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and just as much fun. You might like it if you ever go there! I was there for the Derby and had a blast,the women of Kentucky are quite gracious....
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Never been to the Derby, but I have been to the Oaks (Kentucky's Derby), which is run the day before the Derby.  Great great time. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

[QUOTE]Look guys, most of us here look and dress a certain way because of our wives or girlfriends and I'd venture a guess that few look like this; So..........before you jump so quick to slam TB for his appearence take a second and think what you would do if your wife did look like this and she asked you to let your hair grow out. I doubt anyone would argue
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

LOL, Sam I was going to post something simular but you did a much better job then I would have. I tell people he is doing what his wife wants and I cannot and will not bag him on that!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Blaming it on the derby? He left the reservation a long time ago with this new image. My guess is he went from dressing himself in shorts and T-Shirts like the rest of us to having his wife's people there to help him whenever he needs it.........which should have been never.

He's done now, once you start you can't go back or you'll embarrass your wife in front of her colleagues. Like P-Mike says, if he played for another team you'd hate him and I can't agree more. In fact, I haven't liked his prissy little, pony tail wearing long hair ways since all this crap started but I understand it. He's in love and that's what you do sometimes even if she isn't as pretty as his wife.

So.......as long as he keeps winning MVP's and gives this team a chance to win it all he can wear pink tights with pony tails and braids and have a tattoo of a unicorn on one arm and bunny rabbit on the other and I won't care. 

btw-whoever said she isn't nice looking is either extremely jealous, young and stupid enough to think they still have time to find something prettier or gay.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well, first, Tom Wolfe is great. Bonfire was an amazing book. 

Second, the KD did draw it's largest, but absolute magnitude and relative magnitude are two separate things, and opens up a totally different conversation about the viability of the sport. 

There are more people reading poetry now than ever in history, but at the same time it is a niche medium compared to when it was the dominant medium. 

@PM -- Yeah, tradition may or may not be a subset of "culture." My reference (to a conversation for another day) is merely meant to distinguish from vital culture as it is happening, moribund culture that exists largely through tradition, and pseudo-culture ... which is to say commodified culture.  And yeah, you are spot on, New Orleans, Savannah, even Lexington, Oxford (which I mentioned) are places that are still hanging on to ante-bellum traditional culture in a way you don't see too often these days. It is, in my opinion, one of the more admirable aspects of the region ... albeit kind of sad in a Faulknerian way if you think about it a lot. 

That is great that you got to see horse racing in its hey-day. I don't really follow it too well, except for the traditional bourbon tastings (or various bourbon themed events) that crop up that day. So, I don't really know how to relate a winner like Animal Kingdom to the older horses.

Horse racing, like so many sports, doesn't translate well to television and media, and modern people don't really have the patience to appreciate it I suppose.

I certainly wish boxing were more popular, because I actually like watching it. Although the Pacquiao v Mosley fight was a big dissapointment ... just not exciting. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : obvious reference to the remade "Ocean's 11".  "Ted Nugent called.  He wants his shirt back."   One of the best lines of the movie. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I could just picture Tom Wolfe getting miffed at that and punching a hole through his straw pork pie hat in frustration. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Forget you guys. I think this is sharp dressing. Love linen and seersucker. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Forget you guys. I think this is sharp dressing. Love linen and seersucker. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Wait - That's not Tom Brady??????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : Wait - That's not Tom Brady??????
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    '
    The funny part, is that as a straight Louisiana jock from a wealthy family, Manning has likely dressed like this much more often than Tom has because it is how people dress for formal events down here. 

His father lives in Audubon place, but used to live three blocks (on First St) from where my apartment is -- I guess it is where his kids grew up as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Brady says... : Sam makes a good point (although the way some posters on this board act, I question his use of the word "most" in regards to some members actually having realtionships). But all kidding aside, we've seen Brady change right before our eyes from the kind of lunchpail, chip-on-his-shoulder guy that a lot of us could admire into . . .   well . . .   into a rich guy with a hot wife who doesn't care what we think. More power to him, as far as I'm concerned, but if he played for any other team I would recognize him for the deusche he has clearly become . . .   which is all perfectly well and fine . . .  so long as he keeps making every other quarterback in the league look like Spergeon Wynn by comparison. It's all about the laundry. There are very few players I would never root for, even if they put on the Flying Elvis . . .   but I most certainly would jeer Tom Brady if he wore any other colors.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

This...  What I meant to say with my post on Page 1, was this (mine was just d#mbed down...on purpose thouugh...to make a point. A "hidden" point).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]The Derby Is About HATS!!!!!!  Tom Brady is a man who's very comfortable with himself---and he is white and he is rich. Too white??? Too rich???? Really, Laz!
    Posted by NEGAME2[/QUOTE]

LOLOL Gamer!  It's okayyy, IF you're "white", usually...well, at least "alot of the time."  It's even okayyy, IF you're "rich"; This here's "sometimes"...just not near half the time, and far less than 1/4 of the time.  Gosh DANG-It!  Just see prairie's post, and just ask him to expand on the "lunch-pail-everyday Tom Brady" part, and even moreso on the edgey, tough-as-nails "chip-on-his-shoulder" Tom Brady part.  Look, as a guy, You WANT to follow another Commander-and-Chief into battle when he'll go through the same sh#t as an everyday soldier, that the lowest of the lowest Private PFC no-names will go through during battle...  You do NOT wanna follow a holier-than-thou, untouchable Emperor into battle, when he's commanding from his high-horse...dig?  <prairie...sum that up nicely for me, o.k.?  Laz's engine's not hittin' on all mufflers today... />

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Btw, "Let it Ride" trumps "Other People's Money".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]Z -- It's an interesting turn of phrase -- "walking with ghosts of culture" (although I'm not sure culture and tradition are the same thing) -- and I think it certainly resonates more in the true south . . .  particularly in N'awlins, where dressing up for a wild party is commonly referred to as "Tuesday." I'm simply not sure that tradition alone can sustain a sport . . .  or a spectacle . . . or whatever you want to call it. Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

"Spectacle"...

This quote-

Sport in the sense of a mass-spectacle, with death to add to the underlying excitement, comes into existence when a population has been drilled and regimented and depressed to such an extent that it needs at least a vicarious participation in difficult feats of strength or skill or heroism in order to sustain its waning life-sense.

And "spectacle", always reminded me of THIS quote:

"However, as this world declines, so does the respect and admiration for the hunger artist, and he no longer persists in such a miraculous spectacle."

...remember zbellino and prairie?  ...they shoveled him outta the circus cage, because he was boring, and unexciting, and just- just, altogether "too cerebral", right?  They replaced him with a seething, ferocious, pacing-back-and-forth, dangerous tiger.  Just a killer animal....  Predator's sell at the circus.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Btw, "Let it Ride" trumps "Other People's Money".
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I hope I never have to live in a world where this is actually true.

Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

BIG PIMPIN'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Didn't men where hats when they went out almost always in the first half of the last century?  And I'm not talking about ball caps either.  I don't care if you wear it backwards, sideways or over your ears, it's still a ball cap.  People always dressed up when they went out.  How did we get so sloppy looking?