Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Tom Brady went to the HOUSE!!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Re: Tom Brady went to the HOUSE!!!

Isn't it possible that the Pats lost, not because Brady played great and the D played horrid, or the D played great and Brady played horrid; but simply because they both played pretty average?

Brady did not have a transcendent game, he did not have a good game, but he also didn't have a terrible game.  The intentional grounding I don't really blame him for; when's the last time you saw a grounding call on a pass 40 yards down the field?  When a defender hadn't even touched him yet?  The pass to Welker hit him on the hands, yes, but Welker was fully outstretched AWAY from Brady to get his hands on the ball; not a great pass, but a somewhat catchable one.  The INT was his monster all-world tight end covered by a second string LBer; he underthrew it.  The decision was good (even taking into account Gronk's gimpiness), the execution was not.

The D was stout all game long until the Giants' final drive.  One bad drive at THAT point in the game really does bring what could have been a "great" outing by the D down to "average."  Both sides of the ball had the opportunity to clinch the game, and neither could come up with a play when needed most.  The Giants did.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady went to the HOUSE!!!:
    In Response to Re: Tom Brady went to the HOUSE!!! : This is a prime example of why you just don't get this game. Brady is one of the least culpable persons on that safety call.Did it ever cross your tiny football mind that maybe Brady saved 5 points by getting rid of it at all and not getting a sack-fumble in the EZ?
    Posted by BabeParilli

You state that these people don't know anything about football and then say something like this.  

The QB is always to blame for a safety, ALWAYS!! All Brady had to do was step one foot to the right and get outside the hash mark's. Clownish doesn't begin to describe your rants.

You've also stated at least three times in this thread about the failure of the defense, "endgame" or something you keep repeating like a lunatic. 

The Patriot offense had the ball with a minute left and three successive drops by Welker, Hernandez and Branch is how the game ended, your attempt at revisionist history isn't working.

Granted one minute isn't a lot of time to score, but then it was the offense that chose to get into a shootout with a superior pass rush in the first place and lost the game long before the final minute anyhow by not playing complimentary football the entire game.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady went to the HOUSE!!! :  Granted one minute isn't a lot of time to score, but then it was the offense that chose to get into a shootout with a superior pass rush in the first place and lost the game long before the final minute anyhow by not playing complimentary football the entire game.
    Posted by wozzy

Tell me.  At what point was the D playing complementary football?  Was it when every drive they allowed exceeded 5 minutes of ToP (well except for the last one, but I wouldn't exactly call that a success)?  Was it when they couldn't force a three and out or a turnover resulting in terrible field position for the offense the entire game?  Yeah the offense could have played better, but let's not pretend the D played complementary football either.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I don't want to go back to talking about the Super Bowl, but I will for a moment. In my opinion, BOTH sides of the ball deserve some of the blame...not just one side. Here's why:

Offense: Now of course, Gronk (IMO the most important receiving piece in our passing game) was out, and this should be accounted for. However, a couple of mistakes will always stand out to me when I think of this Super Bowl. Brady's interception (boneheaded to force it deep to an injured Gronk) and safety, and Welker's drop (throw was not perfect but still right in Wes' hands) are a few. I think we could have ran the ball a little more to increase out TOP and counter the Giants pass rush.

Defense: Biggest problem here was TOP...they could not get the Giants off the field. Also, the lack of turnovers stunk (I know there were a couple forced fumbles but what good is that if you don't recover?). Mayo's play (or should i say lack of it) in the endzone on that one TD was disturbing. Furthermore, the D couldn't make the stop when we needed it most on the last drive.

In conclusion, saying one side is the reason we lost is foolish. It's a team game, and both sides are accountable.

On a side note, I'm pumped for this season. I think we took steps to improve on both sides of the ball, and this will put us into position for another potential super bowl run.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Isn't it possible that the Pats lost, not because Brady played great and the D played horrid, or the D played great and Brady played horrid; but simply because they both played pretty average? Brady did not have a transcendent game, he did not have a good game, but he also didn't have a terrible game.  The intentional grounding I don't really blame him for; when's the last time you saw a grounding call on a pass 40 yards down the field?  When a defender hadn't even touched him yet?  The pass to Welker hit him on the hands, yes, but Welker was fully outstretched AWAY from Brady to get his hands on the ball; not a great pass, but a somewhat catchable one.  The INT was his monster all-world tight end covered by a second string LBer; he underthrew it.  The decision was good (even taking into account Gronk's gimpiness), the execution was not. The D was stout all game long until the Giants' final drive.  One bad drive at THAT point in the game really does bring what could have been a "great" outing by the D down to "average."  Both sides of the ball had the opportunity to clinch the game, and neither could come up with a play when needed most.  The Giants did.
    Posted by MattC05

Essentially my thoughts. Good post.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady went to the HOUSE!!! : Look at the vid again nitwit. That guy was on Brady in one second flat. There was no time to "step one foot to the right" while his 7 blockers were getting owned by 4 Giants. Learn the game. A 21 - 17 game is a shootout? Learn the game. You really are going to try and slam Brady because he didn't go 80 yards and get a TD with 57 seconds left? Learn the game.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Brady stood in there long enough to read three different receivers, I don't need to watch the vid again.  He could have stepped to the side and thrown it away, any and every QB or analyst will tell you the same thing, it's the QB's responsibility, nobody else's.  In fact if you watch the vid again since I know you haven't I can recall the announcers getting on Brady for making a mistake.

I didn't say the game was a shootout, I said trying to get in a shootout with a superior defensive front was suicide, but you would actually have to have the intelligence of a sea slug to figure that out, sorry I should have wrote it in crayon.

The game was lost prior to the final minute, but that doesn't change the fact that the offense couldn't execute in that final minute or that 3 different receivers dropped a pass in that final drive.  

Live by the pass, die by the pass...

We should have run a ball control offense, or more specifically we should have done what the Giant's did to us, then the clock would have run out on them instead of us.  

But than Tom Coughlin came from the same school of offense that Charlie Weis preached, the Ernhardt-Perkins system works.  

3 rings for the Pats, 4 rings for the Giant's, it's a proven system where the run sets up the pass... completely over your head and impossible for you to grasp.

Keep posting though, I really enjoy watching you make a fool of yourself.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady went to the HOUSE!!! : Well, it's unfortunate they didn't fall on those 2 fumbles.  But, wildly blaming a D for that while looking past the Safety, the iNT and the Welker drop, while ignoring a rested and healthy BJGE? Really dude? We have a 9 million dollar LG who isn't the best pass blocker blocking for a 34 year old 20 mil per QB who apparently has forgotten why he was the best QB in the game. Sorry, I put more blame on the guys who get the paychecks more so than the guys who don't on D.
    Posted by BassFishingII

I am not saying the offense wasn't at fault.  I just fault the D a bit more than you do.  Also my response was to Wozzy's argument that the offense did not play complementary football and therefore by implication is the reason we lost.  I am saying the D didn't play complementary football either in any sense of the term.  Can you really deny that?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts