Tom Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Tom Brady

In response to TFB12's comment:

No other QB has done as much with the no big star player talent around him as Brady has done PERIOD!!  Gronk has emerged as a big time TE but what good does he do if he isn't on the field?  Welker has been a key player, and become a big time player with Brady and has been TFB's crutch because there is no one else when it comes to the huge games.

In the SB the Pats had Welker and that was pretty much it, Gronk was hurt and no other Big Time players yet they almost win after another very impressive season!  Last season Gronk out for the playoffs and Welker again was basically the only weapon the Pats had yet they were 1 game away from the SB... Again! 

TFB probably won't go down as the Greatest QB ever unless he wins another SB but you gotta admit... TFB is GREAT!  One of the Greatest of all time! He had Moss for a while, he has had Welker but this team has never been loaded like the Montana 49'ers were.  Had Brady had a couple more big star players surround him on both offense and defense he would no doubt about it be the GOAT!  Best EVA! 

Let's get a deep threat, keep Welker and get a solid CB and do the SB a couple more times before he retires!

You are correct a 100%. He is a great quarterback, but this thread is more inline with...what if Mallett is a first round talent like rusty claims and what if Brady is so much at fault, like he claims?

in truth, if you trade Brady, it's over. The security blanket, the guy that covers up for free agent mistakes, the guy that makes an average running back look good, the guy that made two tightends multi millionaires is gone..over...see yah. Then what? At least we got something for him and there's some cap space. We are left with a new QB that is considered a first round talent by rusty. We possibly could add much more talent to go around Mallett. We could keep things simple for him - he could make simple reads and go heavy to Gronk...that could land us in the playoffs. As long as the defense becomes super strong and the offense is loaded around Mallett (two things Brady doesn't have) we may win a playoff game. the following season? I think teams will know exactly what/how to stop Mllett, they will see his one read offense and take it away. They will make him reset and move his feet and we will be back in the pack with everyone else. Any mistake made from that point going forward will be magnified 100%. Bad draft? Boom! Bad free agent signing? Can't have it....can't survive it. Bad coaching decision? We'll lose the game. Brady is our magic carpet and we've been riding it for ten years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

Hmmmm, Tom Brady, you mean the guy that has almost a 22 million dollar cap hit in 2013 and 2014?  That's like 1/6 of the cap.  Did you know no team has ever won a superbowl spending that much money on one player?

And what is the cap hit for that pathetic excuse for a QB on the jets, genius?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

You are correct a 100%. He is a great quarterback, but this thread is more inline with...what if Mallett is a first round talent like rusty claims and what if Brady is so much at fault, like he claims?

in truth, if you trade Brady, it's over. The security blanket, the guy that covers up for free agent mistakes, the guy that makes an average running back look good, the guy that made two tightends multi millionaires is gone..over...see yah. Then what? At least we got something for him and there's some cap space. We are left with a new QB that is considered a first round talent by rusty. We possibly could add much more talent to go around Mallett. We could keep things simple for him - he could make simple reads and go heavy to Gronk...that could land us in the playoffs. As long as the defense becomes super strong and the offense is loaded around Mallett (two things Brady doesn't have) we may win a playoff game. the following season? I think teams will know exactly what/how to stop Mllett, they will see his one read offense and take it away. They will make him reset and move his feet and we will be back in the pack with everyone else. Any mistake made from that point going forward will be magnified 100%. Bad draft? Boom! Bad free agent signing? Can't have it....can't survive it. Bad coaching decision? We'll lose the game. Brady is our magic carpet and we've been riding it for ten years.

NO, I get what you are saying and I get the meaning of your original post.  I just like to point out to who ever reads this thread or who ever thinks otherwise why this team is as good as it is year in and year out.  I think Mallet has some good QB qualities but he isn't ready.  He wont be read for a few years.  If anyone (Rusty) thinks he can come in and play like TFB did when he got his start then they/him is out of their minds.  This team takes a major hit when Brady leaves, it's called the rebuilding years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

No other QB has done as much with the no big star player talent around him as Brady has done PERIOD!!  Gronk has emerged as a big time TE but what good does he do if he isn't on the field?  Welker has been a key player, and become a big time player with Brady and has been TFB's crutch because there is no one else when it comes to the huge games.

In the SB the Pats had Welker and that was pretty much it, Gronk was hurt and no other Big Time players yet they almost win after another very impressive season!  Last season Gronk out for the playoffs and Welker again was basically the only weapon the Pats had yet they were 1 game away from the SB... Again! 

TFB probably won't go down as the Greatest QB ever unless he wins another SB but you gotta admit... TFB is GREAT!  One of the Greatest of all time! He had Moss for a while, he has had Welker but this team has never been loaded like the Montana 49'ers were.  Had Brady had a couple more big star players surround him on both offense and defense he would no doubt about it be the GOAT!  Best EVA! 

Let's get a deep threat, keep Welker and get a solid CB and do the SB a couple more times before he retires!

Another great post by tfb12!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

There is a first time for everything especially with the pats. Meanwhile, the jets will overpay cromartie, panic, and lose their asz on revis.

Lol!

Patseng and the entire board:  pay attention to the troll and thebtwo irrationals aligning.

thebtwo?  What does that even mean?

Still waiting on your contract details source, Queenie.  I thought you were going to leave if you were proven a liar, yet you're still here.

It means that I fat fingered the b and space bar on my smartphone as I sit waiting .on my flight delay.

Does not change the fact the jets will miss the playoffs the next 3 years.

they let you fly? that's one plane i ain't getting on!

who needs some j.o. telling the pilot how to fly all flight

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Couple of things here...

Rusty says the player is spoiled, dictating the offense, stat driven, and ineffective in the post season causing us loses. He also thinks Ryan Mallett is a first round talent and highly sought after player that teams want badly to acquire. So the obvious question becomes this...why are we going to trade Mallett, he's younger, much much cheaper and Brady is old and very expensive..why not keep Mallett and trade Brady? Clearly if both of these arguments that Rusty believes is true..are true, then anyone would make the smart and no brainer decision to part ways with the expensive and poor game managing Tom Brady. Correct?

So if Mallett is this smart, tall, athletic, gun slinging, cheap, young first round talent that is worth more in terms of trade value than RG3 (what he said yesterday), then clearly the smart move for the best GM of all time will be trade Brady and NOT Mallett.

What can we get for Brady? 2 firsts? How much money can we potentially save? 20 million? No brainer.

Of course there is the possibilty that Rusty is as wrong as humanly possible in all this - I believe that if Belichick doesn't trade Brady this off season and start the Mallett revolution, it proves three things...one, that Brady is NOT a problem. Two, that Mallett is not some sure fire first round selection. And three, rusty is wrong and usually is.

Rusty says...

there's ur problem-you should've stopped right there cause we all know from this point forward it's all downhill

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Me saying mallet's value in a very weak 2013 qb prospect market one year removed from rg3 in the draft is not me saying "he has more".

Fact is, each were 1st rd prospects 1 year removed and the ultra dumb skins overpaid on the market.

Leave it to tweedle dink and tweedle dumb to confuse my premise.  Or they lie intentionally as a troll tactic.

But sure you did, you said RG3 is just a run around QB, his running is the reason why he can throw, etc. You compared him to Mike Vick, even though Mike Vick never had his accuracy or was capable of doing anything but throwing to his first option.

So again, have you actually watched RG3 play? Did you even notice what he's doing when it's a passing play? Can you see how this is not a kid who's main talent is his running and 4.3 speed? Because by the way you are talking, you clarly have never seen him play and you're just throwing crap out there hoping it will stick to a wall.

I bet if you asked Belichick who he respects the most as a head coach he'd say Mike Shanahan. I'm pretty sure Mike Shanahan (who has final say on personnel) thinks RG3 is a little better than Ryan Mallett, or else he would of traded for him last year and saved his team all those first round picks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Hmmmm, Tom Brady, you mean the guy that has almost a 22 million dollar cap hit in 2013 and 2014?  That's like 1/6 of the cap.  Did you know no team has ever won a superbowl spending that much money on one player?

Do you ever consider that, as he's done several times in the past, TB will willingly re-negotiate his deal for cap relief?  With respect to "no team has ever won a superbowl...."  You should no first hand about this - Jets spend less on Revis and where did that get them?  One more thing - if the Jets had a chance to trade for TB, would you support it?  Silly Jet fans, 40 years of futility causing their dumb fans to troll other fans' boards.  It's sad really - but kind of funny too.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

NO, I get what you are saying and I get the meaning of your original post.  I just like to point out to who ever reads this thread or who ever thinks otherwise why this team is as good as it is year in and year out.  I think Mallet has some good QB qualities but he isn't ready.  He wont be read for a few years.  If anyone (Rusty) thinks he can come in and play like TFB did when he got his start then they/him is out of their minds.  This team takes a major hit when Brady leaves, it's called the rebuilding years.

The team is rebuilt. Youngest D in the league. They just need health when it matters.  Gronk, Talib and Jones out are huge impacts on both sides of the ball.

The biggest misconception with gogly eyed fans like you, who only care about high flying stats and Randy Moss plays, is this "deep theat" rhetoric. That was never heard of here during the 3 SBs in 4 years.

The fact is, if Weis told Brady to go deep, he went deep. It didn't matter if it was Patten, Branch or a rare Bethel Johnson try.

Lloyd gets deep as well as anyone but we have a QB who SUCKS at throwing deep and refuses to use playaction every week.

So, what good is it? He'll be 36 in Sept.

I could not disagree more with your analysis and people who agree with you. Get 2007 out of your head. The entire team, the fans, etc, are waiting on Tom Brady.  You're just going to have to deal with that fact.

He's got two GOLDEN LOOKS these next 2 years assuming he's here for 2014, too.  Golden.

NE will win the division next year and lose no less than 4 games. They'll end up with a #1 or #2 seed again and we'll be all crossing our fingers he gets his head out of his rectum in the AFC title game for once.

It's the absolute truth.

A couple of things...one, Lloyd can't get deep, he runs a 4.7, so saying he gets deep "as good as anyone" is a sign that you don't really watch football and therefore should be much more cautious when speaking about it.  Two...this rebuilt team you keep speaking of will be in dire straits when Brady leaves (unless of course a Aaron Rodgers replaces him). This team is far from rebuilt - rebuilt teams have a defense that doesn't have to trade for a thug corner rental half way through the year. And when thug corner goes down, a rebuilt team/defense wouldn't fall apart. Rebuilt teams don't have 10 second round picks that can't play or millions in dead money on old washed up free agents that couldn't either. This baby is far from rebuilt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Couple of things here...

Rusty says the player is spoiled, dictating the offense, stat driven, and ineffective in the post season causing us loses. He also thinks Ryan Mallett is a first round talent and highly sought after player that teams want badly to acquire. So the obvious question becomes this...why are we going to trade Mallett, he's younger, much much cheaper and Brady is old and very expensive..why not keep Mallett and trade Brady? Clearly if both of these arguments that Rusty believes is true..are true, then anyone would make the smart and no brainer decision to part ways with the expensive and poor game managing Tom Brady. Correct?

So if Mallett is this smart, tall, athletic, gun slinging, cheap, young first round talent that is worth more in terms of trade value than RG3 (what he said yesterday), then clearly the smart move for the best GM of all time will be trade Brady and NOT Mallett.

What can we get for Brady? 2 firsts? How much money can we potentially save? 20 million? No brainer.

Of course there is the possibilty that Rusty is as wrong as humanly possible in all this - I believe that if Belichick doesn't trade Brady this off season and start the Mallett revolution, it proves three things...one, that Brady is NOT a problem. Two, that Mallett is not some sure fire first round selection. And three, rusty is wrong and usually is.

I wouldn't say he's spoiled, however, I think through his competitiveness, he's take a lot on his own shoulders to make the offense "happen"

In regards to his "attitude", I don't like to see him what appears to be sulking/pouting/crying on the sidelines when things are not going well offensively.  I don't mind seeing him trying to fire up his teammates, but don't like seeing him admonish teammates publically. There's a different way to get others on the same page if it's a bad route.  I also don't like to see him whining to the refs about calls - that's BB's job.

IMO, Brady does seem to force the ball at time - to make things happen.  Great if it works, not so much if it doesn't.  Brady has to go back to moving the chains by hitting the open man - and letting others help the offense too. In addition, the playcalling at times; especially critical times/games - seem strange at times. Not Brady's fault, that's a coaching issue.

Finally, I think the offense is fine - altho we could still use some depth at OL and a physical WR who is willing to fight for the ball.

Ultimately, if SBs are the goal, I think any improvements have to be done on the defensive side of the ball, and STs play moreso than the offense. As I've said in the past, it's about adding the players who will help us beat teams like the Ravens, 49ers, and Giants.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The team is rebuilt. Youngest D in the league. They just need health when it matters.  Gronk, Talib and Jones out are huge impacts on both sides of the ball.

The biggest misconception with gogly eyed fans like you, who only care about high flying stats and Randy Moss plays, is this "deep theat" rhetoric. That was never heard of here during the 3 SBs in 4 years.

The fact is, if Weis told Brady to go deep, he went deep. It didn't matter if it was Patten, Branch or a rare Bethel Johnson try.

Lloyd gets deep as well as anyone but we have a QB who SUCKS at throwing deep and refuses to use playaction every week.

So, what good is it? He'll be 36 in Sept.

I could not disagree more with your analysis and people who agree with you. Get 2007 out of your head. The entire team, the fans, etc, are waiting on Tom Brady.  You're just going to have to deal with that fact.

He's got two GOLDEN LOOKS these next 2 years assuming he's here for 2014, too.  Golden.

NE will win the division next year and lose no less than 4 games. They'll end up with a #1 or #2 seed again and we'll be all crossing our fingers he gets his head out of his rectum in the AFC title game for once.

It's the absolute truth.

What I mean by rebuilding years when TFB leaves will be due to the change the offense will go through.  TFB is a master of this offense they run, it consists of all his strengths which will be different for the new QB they put in there.  TFB is a smart QB, can disect a defense, pick it apart and runs a super efficient offense. I didn't see Hoyer have those qualities and I don't see Mallet having those qualities.  So they will rebuild how the offense runs to match whichever QB's talent they have at that position.  It will take some time. So that's what I mean by the rebuilding years.

The last few years I have been doubting if TFB still has it.  I doubted him being able to handle the big games as it looked more like he was letting the pressure to win another SB and to prove his greatness get to him.  Yet you look at the other top QB's in the league they weren't getting it done either, in fact they weren't even taking their team as deep as Brady was in the playoffs. 

I stepped back and looked deeper into why this team didn't win the 2011 SB and didn't make it to the SB last season and it's not TFB's fault they have failed.  It's the game plans, it's the coaching philosiphy going into these post season games, it's the talent around him!  It's not TFB!  All the people doubting TFB these days need to look deeper into the problem as I have done, but they don't, it's much easier to just put the blame on TFB. 

During the regular season they open up the offense, they play to win.  When they get to the playoffs and the SB they really seem to tone it down, they play not to lose instead of play to win.  They seem to have a very simple game plan, they don't open it up like they do during the regular season and in order to win this way TFB and the offense has to have a perfect game to win..  And that's on the coaches.  That's on the game planning, that's not on TFB.  Also, these past couple years Gronk, a key player has been hurt in the biggest games taking away a huge weapon and they don't have other big talent weapons to rely on other then Wes Welker, who has been the main weapon, the only weapon.  That's why keeping Welker is so important, without Welker the team has zero weapons for TFB. 

So to summarize..

Keep Welker, add more weapons for TFB, especially if one of the weapons gets hurt, change game philosophy for the post season to match their regular season offense philosophy.  Had these things changed during the last two seasons, 2 more SB rings would be on TFB's fingers.  Of course the D could have been better but with TFB as QB they were good enough to win the SB the last two years had these things I mentioned on offense in the post season would have been changed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Do you ever consider that, as he's done several times in the past, TB will willingly re-negotiate his deal for cap relief?  With respect to "no team has ever won a superbowl...."  You should no first hand about this - Jets spend less on Revis and where did that get them?  One more thing - if the Jets had a chance to trade for TB, would you support it?  Silly Jet fans, 40 years of futility causing their dumb fans to troll other fans' boards.  It's sad really - but kind of funny too.

Just to be clear, Brady cannot renegotiate his contract, because after this year, he has 1 year left on his deal. The most the Pats can push off from his salary this year into next is a $5 million dollar bonus. That will lower Brady's cap hit this year to $17 million, but push it next year to $27 million. 

The only answer for cap relief from Brady's contract is to extend his contract. I think you are looking at at least 5 years and $100 million to extend him, taking him to his 42 birthday. 

My thoughts on the Pats salary cap issues are pretty clear, even though Rusty does not understand them;

1) Brady's contract is too high a percent of the total, and extending him for 5 more years is risky

2) Vince is in a similar situation. He is over 30, has a lot of wear and tear, and has the wrong body type to extend into his 35th year

3) Mankins simply won't renegotiate after getting jerked around and losing half a seasons pay

4) The Pats have no obvious high salary cuts that don't make the team worse. Cutting Ghost or Lloyd, in my opinion weakens the Pats while saving them money. Cutting Fells, Larsen really doesn't save much money. 

5) The Pats have 18 free agents, with a good 15 of them making contributions to the team of great value. While losing Chung is not much of a hit, I contend losing Arrington, Cole, Edelman, Woody, Thomas, Huma will weaken the team as they all contributed. Not to say the Pats cannot resign them, but if they wish to resign 2 of the big 3, it will be hard to bring back many of the 2 nd tier contributors. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'd hate to lose Vollmer unless we had another stud tackle to replace him with. I really don't look forward to going back to the days when that position was manned by guys like Ryan Callaghan and Nick Kazcur.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Just to be clear, Brady cannot renegotiate his contract, because after this year, he has 1 year left on his deal. The most the Pats can push off from his salary this year into next is a $5 million dollar bonus. That will lower Brady's cap hit this year to $17 million, but push it next year to $27 million. 

The only answer for cap relief from Brady's contract is to extend his contract. I think you are looking at at least 5 years and $100 million to extend him, taking him to his 42 birthday. 

My thoughts on the Pats salary cap issues are pretty clear, even though Rusty does not understand them;

1) Brady's contract is too high a percent of the total, and extending him for 5 more years is risky

2) Vince is in a similar situation. He is over 30, has a lot of wear and tear, and has the wrong body type to extend into his 35th year

3) Mankins simply won't renegotiate after getting jerked around and losing half a seasons pay

4) The Pats have no obvious high salary cuts that don't make the team worse. Cutting Ghost or Lloyd, in my opinion weakens the Pats while saving them money. Cutting Fells, Larsen really doesn't save much money. 

5) The Pats have 18 free agents, with a good 15 of them making contributions to the team of great value. While losing Chung is not much of a hit, I contend losing Arrington, Cole, Edelman, Woody, Thomas, Huma will weaken the team as they all contributed. Not to say the Pats cannot resign them, but if they wish to resign 2 of the big 3, it will be hard to bring back many of the 2 nd tier contributors. 

The challenge for the Pats is getting quality at corner, tackle, and wide receiver. They have free agents at all those positions and therefore need to sign guys.  Proven quality won't come cheap.  They can try to fill those slots in the draft or through value free agents, but then there's no guarantee you'll get the quality you need at those key positions.

I disagree about Mankins.  He won't agree to lower pay, but he may be willing to restructure base into bonus.  That's actually good for him since it means he gets cash faster-- and it could also allow the Pats to defer some of his cap cost to future years.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.