Tom Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: Tom Brady

He just needs his hair cut.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Brady is at the top of his game.  I see him here for another five or six years before HE decides to stop.  His replacement is soon to enter college.

SLGDEV/sheldong/sheldonlg

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Is there a chance this guy may be playing his last season here? He will be 37 when the season starts and we just drafted a guy in the second round to be the "heir to the thrown". Think about this...after this season we will be talking about a 38 year old quarterback and a second round pick - who to get maximum value - will need to start sooner rather than later. You can also add in the fact that Brady - after next season - will most likely still have trade value (with the remainder of his contract being very reasonable).

I'm a huge Brady fan...I love the way he plays, his toughness, his accuracy, his field vision/smarts, but this thing is winding down...you can't play at the level he does forever in the NFL. It doesn't matter if Brady says he's going to play into his 40's, that doesn't mean he'll be playing into his 40's at a level that we are used to. Think about the guy who is running this ship for a second, do you honestly think he would hesitate for one second to trade a guy if it meant what's best for the team long term? Not a chance. If Garappolo shows what made them draft him so high...and Brady starts declining a bit this season, I could see this happening a little sooner than we all imagined.

This is the NFL...and this is team Belichick...it wouldn't shock me if this magic carpet ride ends sooner than we think.

Don't think he'd be building that Brookline house to be heading out to pasture somewheres else.  Relax.  Brady is going to retire as a Patriot after he has demonstrated a more dramatic dropoff in ability....  IMO... like when he's 40-41ish .

I don't think the house means a thing, he just built a house in California and the house lot alone cost 15 million...the house had to be another ten million...and what did he do? He has it on the market right now. This guy's wife makes over a 100 million a year...she owns a hotel...I don't think a home in Brookline is going to affect this guy's life, if he wanted to he could use the thing for canned goods storage. I want to say he had a place in NY at one time as well, he sold that thing a few years after he bought it and pocketed somewhere around 3 million in profit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I bet he plays in NE for 2 more years, 2014 & 2015.  History tells us that QBs don't do much after age 38.  Brady is amazing.  I don't want his ride to come to an end.  Father Time catches up to the best of 'em though.  

Ok, I maybe can see two more years, but that's it. I can't picture Belichick having a 39 year old QB out there leading this team, it doesn't matter that Brady said he wants to play until he's in his 40's, those things don't happen often. When you're over 35 things start to happen to your tendons and joints, they're not as flexible as they once were...everything takes longer to heal...this guy gets hit by guys who are 300 pounds regularly and he has to wind that arm back 30-40 times a game to throw. Something is going to give.

All good points, but I am totally against trading Brady. Let him only play for one team and that team be the pats. Beside the declining skills, there is a huge bit of nostalgia and history here. Not every team picks, grooms a top 5 QB of all time. It is special. I think Kraft gets this. Legacy, its worth more to the brand than trading him for whatever. 2 years is enough for Tom to groom JG. Let it be.

Do you really think nostalgia factors into the equation when we are talking about Belichick, this being a business and the danger of us not winning? I don't. I love Brady, I think he is maybe the best quarterback that ever played...I think he is why we have won so much over the last 13 years, but these things do end...usually badly. There appears to be a plan in place, I think they will activate that plan sooner than we know. That's just my opinion. And this whole thing is just because of his age, it's the law of averages taking affect, it has no bearing on him as a player...the guy is the best.

Of course the whole thing will blow up in smoke if Garappolo shows nothing as a QB, but I'm willing to bet that won't happen because of how high they drafted him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am not on board with the JG heir to the QB throne. Let's pump the brakes a bit. The Pats drafted a QB in the 2nd round whom they have hopes can develop into a good back up QB in 2 years. Perhaps, in 3-4 years, he has a chance to compete as the starter if TB steps away. 

I really don't see JG playing a single snap this year. Assuming next year Mallett is no longer here, I would also assume JG gets some reps in preseason. Will BB play JG at all in year 2? Did he play Hoyer in year 2? Did he play Mallett in year 2? 

I simply see this team in 2016 still having the talent and coaching staff to compete for a championship, and today cannot anoint JG as the QB of that team because he was drafted in the 2nd round. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I bet he plays in NE for 2 more years, 2014 & 2015.  History tells us that QBs don't do much after age 38.  Brady is amazing.  I don't want his ride to come to an end.  Father Time catches up to the best of 'em though.  

Ok, I maybe can see two more years, but that's it. I can't picture Belichick having a 39 year old QB out there leading this team, it doesn't matter that Brady said he wants to play until he's in his 40's, those things don't happen often. When you're over 35 things start to happen to your tendons and joints, they're not as flexible as they once were...everything takes longer to heal...this guy gets hit by guys who are 300 pounds regularly and he has to wind that arm back 30-40 times a game to throw. Something is going to give.

All good points, but I am totally against trading Brady. Let him only play for one team and that team be the pats. Beside the declining skills, there is a huge bit of nostalgia and history here. Not every team picks, grooms a top 5 QB of all time. It is special. I think Kraft gets this. Legacy, its worth more to the brand than trading him for whatever. 2 years is enough for Tom to groom JG. Let it be.

Do you really think nostalgia factors into the equation when we are talking about Belichick, this being a business and the danger of us not winning? I don't. I love Brady, I think he is maybe the best quarterback that ever played...I think he is why we have won so much over the last 13 years, but these things do end...usually badly. There appears to be a plan in place, I think they will activate that plan sooner than we know. That's just my opinion. And this whole thing is just because of his age, it's the law of averages taking affect, it has no bearing on him as a player...the guy is the best.

Of course the whole thing will blow up in smoke if Garappolo shows nothing as a QB, but I'm willing to bet that won't happen because of how high they drafted him.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well here's an article from the Globe that should ease your mind.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/11/20/tom-brady-peyton-manning-are-age-defying-athletes/HnPU0HxSgerkWMD1U7l8dJ/story.html

While everyone succumbs to age, there is plenty of evidence that with the right training and mindset, that there are many that can buck the odds.

I see TB as one of those.  Manning with a year and two seasons more under his belt did show decline last year and had success with a QB friendly team.  There's no reason to think TB could not go three or 4+ more under the same circumstance.  In fact I can see him having better success as Mannigs injuries have contributed to his decline, decreasing arm strength and control.  Brady, knock on wood, does not have those issues but the wear on his shoulders may become one.

Now will bb provide a QB friendly team?   The improvement on D will definitely help as the need to score 36 points should subside.  Hopefully there will be no more seasons where rookies and 3rd string TE's are your only throwing options.  That was a travesty and the fact that he came out of it OK, speaks volumes to his dedication, skill, his ability to survive and his ability to overcome what no other could.....or should.

Not  that BB HAS ANY LOYALTY, but I do think he's smart enough to know that putting a better team out there NOW will help his rookie too.

Matt Cassell wouldn't have won here in the past 6 years.  I'd bet the farm on that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think,it factors into the equation when we re talking about Kraft. Kraft trumps BB. Kraft has a soft spot in his heart for a few players. Brady probably is I,portent to him because Brady is almost single handedly the franchise. I just can't see Kraft shipping Brady for a few picks based on what he has meant and still means to this team. 

Best case Brady cn still play at a high level for 3-4 more years and still wants to...I don't see JG supplanting him. Therefore, we will be right back where we are today with Brady nearing the end, and JG with like 1-2 years in his rookie contract.that is still good because Brady can retire in 3-4, JG learn from the best, and assuming he is ripe to take the reigns, we still got him for another 1-2 years at cheap money. If he shows any progress in 2, extend him and now we are in really good cap space to keep building. I just don't see Kraft trading Brady, and I don't see JG playing well enough to unseat Brady in the next 2-3 years. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I am not on board with the JG heir to the QB throne. Let's pump the brakes a bit. The Pats drafted a QB in the 2nd round whom they have hopes can develop into a good back up QB in 2 years. Perhaps, in 3-4 years, he has a chance to compete as the starter if TB steps away. 

I really don't see JG playing a single snap this year. Assuming next year Mallett is no longer here, I would also assume JG gets some reps in preseason. Will BB play JG at all in year 2? Did he play Hoyer in year 2? Did he play Mallett in year 2? 

I simply see this team in 2016 still having the talent and coaching staff to compete for a championship, and today cannot anoint JG as the QB of that team because he was drafted in the 2nd round. 

I agree JG won't be playing much this year (unless Brady gets hurt), but I don't think you spend a second round pick on a backup quarterback for insurance.  I mean how many resources are they going to spend on backup QB's? They already have a third in Mallett, so as of right now they have a third and a second into guys who won't/shouldn't start? They could of went out and spent three million on some 32 year old backup instead. That doesn't make sense too me, and let's not forget this was supposed to be a very good draft in terms of talent - people were saying the second round had more first round talent in it than we have seen in years...I can't see them wasting that on a backup.

As for two years from now...that's an eternity in the NFL, it really is. I've seen teams change so much in just a few weeks...looking years in advance I can see this whole team looking very very different.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

In response to

Quote:

Yes, Lions, Browns, and Jets fans would kill for that same decade.

----------------------------------------------

Don't forget the Eagles. Never ever, and no silver lining play book in Pilladelphia.

The patriots lost their recipe for SB wins around 2007. With the bigger O line, it looks to me like they found the recipe again. But than again I am only a fan.

I can't picture Tom Brady playing anywhere except NE. (Fan)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I agree JG won't be playing much this year (unless Brady gets hurt), but I don't think you spend a second round pick on a backup quarterback for insurance.  I mean how many resources are they going to spend on backup QB's? They already have a third in Mallett, so as of right now they have a third and a second into guys who won't/shouldn't start? They could of went out and spent three million on some 32 year old backup instead. That doesn't make sense too me, and let's not forget this was supposed to be a very good draft in terms of talent - people were saying the second round had more first round talent in it than we have seen in years...I can't see them wasting that on a backup.

As for two years from now...that's an eternity in the NFL, it really is. I've seen teams change so much in just a few weeks...looking years in advance I can see this whole team looking very very different.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Tavon Wilson #48

Ras I # 33

LOL!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Tavon Wilson #48

Ras I # 33

LOL!

Darius Butler:  #41

Terrance Wheatley:  #62 / same slot as JG. Hopefully not an omen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Are you thinking Garappolo gets no preseason snaps this year or am I reading this wrong?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Is there a chance this guy may be playing his last season here? He will be 37 when the season starts and we just drafted a guy in the second round to be the "heir to the thrown". Think about this...after this season we will be talking about a 38 year old quarterback and a second round pick - who to get maximum value - will need to start sooner rather than later. You can also add in the fact that Brady - after next season - will most likely still have trade value (with the remainder of his contract being very reasonable).

I'm a huge Brady fan...I love the way he plays, his toughness, his accuracy, his field vision/smarts, but this thing is winding down...you can't play at the level he does forever in the NFL. It doesn't matter if Brady says he's going to play into his 40's, that doesn't mean he'll be playing into his 40's at a level that we are used to. Think about the guy who is running this ship for a second, do you honestly think he would hesitate for one second to trade a guy if it meant what's best for the team long term? Not a chance. If Garappolo shows what made them draft him so high...and Brady starts declining a bit this season, I could see this happening a little sooner than we all imagined.

This is the NFL...and this is team Belichick...it wouldn't shock me if this magic carpet ride ends sooner than we think.

It won't come as a surprise, at all, when BB makes the decision to replace TB.  We know it's going to happen.  I wouldn't be surprised if it came after this season.  Will it involve a trade?  That's the part that is hard to predict.  I think it will come down to what TB wants to do.  Retirement, trade, or carry the clipboard as the backup.  I can't see him being satisfied as a backup, so to me, it will be retirement or trade.  If I have to choose...I believe it will be retirement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I don't think "Brady's decline" in the playoffs is a decline at all, I see it as the oline not being able to compete against the elite teams. Give Tom better protection against better defenses and he has many good years left in him, maybe even a few rings.

I am too lazy to go back and look, but how many posters that think Brady is declining also complained about the Pats drafting a qb early?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Cyberknot's comment:

I don't think "Brady's decline" in the playoffs is a decline at all, I see it as the oline not being able to compete against the elite teams. Give Tom better protection against better defenses and he has many good years left in him, maybe even a few rings.

I am too lazy to go back and look, but how many posters that think Brady is declining also complained about the Pats drafting a qb early?

[object HTMLDivElement]

He's not in decline.  28 teams finished behind him on offense and they actually had receivers other than rookies, 3rd string TE's and a converted QB

Name one who could do better. 

What he needed and has been needing, for years, is a defense.

Some people just need to go back to whatever planet they came from.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Barring a horrific injury, I would be stunned if this is Brady's last year in NE. After this year his cap hit in minuscule compared to what QBs that aren't even fit to hold his jock strap make. With his restructured deal, he is the best value in the NFL at any position. How many first ballot HoFers only make 9mil per season? Can you imagine Peyton taking that kind of deal? Or even a guy like Flacco or Romo?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

what i said (and implied)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I think,it factors into the equation when we re talking about Kraft. Kraft trumps BB. Kraft has a soft spot in his heart for a few players. Brady probably is I,portent to him because Brady is almost single handedly the franchise. I just can't see Kraft shipping Brady for a few picks based on what he has meant and still means to this team. 

Best case Brady cn still play at a high level for 3-4 more years and still wants to...I don't see JG supplanting him. Therefore, we will be right back where we are today with Brady nearing the end, and JG with like 1-2 years in his rookie contract.that is still good because Brady can retire in 3-4, JG learn from the best, and assuming he is ripe to take the reigns, we still got him for another 1-2 years at cheap money. If he shows any progress in 2, extend him and now we are in really good cap space to keep building. I just don't see Kraft trading Brady, and I don't see JG playing well enough to unseat Brady in the next 2-3 years. 

exactly

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

The only way JG can take over for Brady in the next few years is if Brady goes down like Bledsoe and JG can come in a just carry this team to a victory each week. However, that also means Brady has to be sucking really hard for him not to get his job back when he becomes healthy after the injury. Brady is not Bledsoe, nothing on Bledsoee's resume screamed he must get his job back. Brady is one of only a handful of QB's, even at this age, he would get his job back even after a year off from injury due to how amazing he has been.

There are just way too many factors and what ifs for Brady to not be the QB of this team for the next 2-3 years. So to even think about JG playing QB as a starter on a consistent basis within the next 2-3 years is just crazy. I'll be honest, he was one of the lowest ranked QB's I had in my mock drafts, the kid is going to take a bit of time to be ready for the field.

Let's also clear something up, Brady left the field with the lead in our last 2 Super Bowl trips....yes of course you want a comfortable lead in the last few minutes, who doesn't!....it was the defense BB coaches that lost those games for us. The one thing I would ask from my QB in a big game is just give me the chance to win the game in the last few minutes, Brady did that and our defense imploded like it has done the past 7 years now. Could Brady be better in many playoff games sine the 07 SB, yeah, but so could Peyton and every other QB.

Brady is smart and doesn't get hit too much, no history of concussion or lingering injuries. I'd take Brady at age 42 with 80% of his skill set left than have JG out there. Until that kid can prove he is elite, why replace him with Brady?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to FishTaco64's comment:

Barring a horrific injury, I would be stunned if this is Brady's last year in NE. After this year his cap hit in minuscule compared to what QBs that aren't even fit to hold his jock strap make. With his restructured deal, he is the best value in the NFL at any position. How many first ballot HoFers only make 9mil per season? Can you imagine Peyton taking that kind of deal? Or even a guy like Flacco or Romo?

Do you think his bellow market value contract will become an issue for him in a year? Like lets say he is 38...coming off a decent year...he sees the salary cap going up...other qb's salaries going up...does he just sit there and not ask for more? If he asks for more at 38, do we give it to him, or do we go with JG? Because that's part of the reason I think he could be gone sooner than we think, I don't think we'd give a 38 year old guy market value and I don't think a Hall of Fame quarterback would play for much much less (which is what his yearly numbers will be). Maybe I'm wrong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mediumsizednuts. Show Mediumsizednuts's posts

In response to FishTaco64's comment:

Do you think his bellow market value contract will become an issue for him in a year? Like lets say he is 38...coming off a decent year...he sees the salary cap going up...other qb's salaries going up...does he just sit there and not ask for more? If he asks for more at 38, do we give it to him, or do we go with JG? Because that's part of the reason I think he could be gone sooner than we think, I don't think we'd give a 38 year old guy market value and I don't think a Hall of Fame quarterback would play for much much less (which is what his yearly numbers will be). Maybe I'm wrong.

Tom and his sweetie  have all the money in the world, he should be playing for free. And  get us out of salary cap hell and into a wife swapping club.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I heard a Brady story.

Im in New Jersey.  I met someone here who told me he has a colleague who lives on Comm Ave and uses the T to go to work.  She had to shovel out her car to go to a meeting and the snow had become frozen but she had too get it done.

A tall attractive couple came walking by and saw her struggling.  They stopped and shoveled the car out for her.  You know who.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

I heard a Brady story.

Im in New Jersey.  I met someone here who told me he has a colleague who lives on Comm Ave and uses the T to go to work.  She had to shovel out her car to go to a meeting and the snow had become frozen but she had too get it done.

A tall attractive couple came walking by and saw her struggling.  They stopped and shoveled the car out for her.  You know who.

Obama's?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If the average lifespan of a man is 80 years and somebody is having their 80th birthday tomorrow, should I tell the guy how I'm so sorry to hear that he's going to die tomorrow?

Average lifespans are statistically quite invalid if somebody has lived deep into the average lifespan or beyond the average.  The real question is, how is Brady doing lately?  In Brady's case he threw for 4400 yards last year with a relatively scummy set of receivers.  No Wes Welker.  No Aaron Hernandez.  For much of the time, no Gronk.  Danny Amendola was kind of an injured dud.  Edelman was a free agent last spring but nobody else in the NFL cared to hire the guy away, so in the end Edelman settled for the team that understood him.  That left a bunch of pass-dropping, route-flubbing rookies with names like KT (an undrafted walk-on rookie), Boyce (a third day rook) and Dobson (certainly not a first rounder, and a rookie too). 

4400 yards with the Bad News Bears isn't a sign of physical decay.  Nobody else in the NFL could have pulled it off.  So, while there's always a wild chance that Brady's skills could take a nosedive next week, please don't quote bad statistics trying to prove it, and remember to keep those flying monkeys well bottled up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Tom Brady will retire a NE Patriot.  Precisely when is open to debate but I don't see him ever playing for another team.  He's still a top 3 QB in the NFL and until we see a dramatic drop-off he'll be taking the snaps.

Sections
Shortcuts