Tom Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Tom Brady

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I am not on board with the JG heir to the QB throne. Let's pump the brakes a bit. The Pats drafted a QB in the 2nd round whom they have hopes can develop into a good back up QB in 2 years. Perhaps, in 3-4 years, he has a chance to compete as the starter if TB steps away. 

I really don't see JG playing a single snap this year. Assuming next year Mallett is no longer here, I would also assume JG gets some reps in preseason. Will BB play JG at all in year 2? Did he play Hoyer in year 2? Did he play Mallett in year 2? 

I simply see this team in 2016 still having the talent and coaching staff to compete for a championship, and today cannot anoint JG as the QB of that team because he was drafted in the 2nd round. 

Are you thinking Garappolo gets no preseason snaps this year or am I reading this wrong?

No, my comment was in reference to regular season. However, in preseason, game 1, I believe Brady plays the obligatory first series, Mallet goes the balance of the first, second and third quarters, and JG sees the fourth quarter. After that first preseason game appearance, we don't see JG again until preseason 2015

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

I heard a Brady story.

Im in New Jersey.  I met someone here who told me he has a colleague who lives on Comm Ave and uses the T to go to work.  She had to shovel out her car to go to a meeting and the snow had become frozen but she had too get it done.

A tall attractive couple came walking by and saw her struggling.  They stopped and shoveled the car out for her.  You know who.

Obama's?

Obama isn't tall

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Tom Brady if healthy will play out the final 3 years of his contract for the Pats. He is still one of the top 3 Qb's in the game and IMHO I did not see much of a drop off if any last year.

As a matter of fact he got better as the season wore on. I'm have watched 40 plus years of football and TB is one of the smartest QB's I have ever seen play the game. 

Enjoy these next 3 years because it will be a long, long time before you see a QB in a Patriot uniform who is as complete a QB as this guy. 

That's a big if - I just don't think many at his age would be able to play until they're 40 healthy. That's my point, with them drafting this kid and with Brady's contract (and potential trade value), I could see this magic carpet ride coming to an end sooner than we realize. I was listening to the radio this week and they said Brady's yearly salaries for his current deal are bellow market, and two years from now they'll be very bellow market with the salary cap going up and up...and with QB salaries going through the roof. Brady will most likely want to get more and I don't think they will give more to a guy who will be close to 40. I think this thing will be over before that.

I've enjoyed this ride he's put this franchise on for over a decade, he has consistently been one of the best (if not the best) at his position that entire time, but Father Time catches up with everyone.

I understand how people are going to perceive his salary for the last couple of years as him being under paid but I didn't hear him or anyone else complaining when the Pats handed him a check for 30 million in Feb of 2013. What his salary is for the last few years IMO isn't really relevant as he was paid 30 million in one lump sum for which was both sides way of compensating for him having a small salary for the last couple of years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think anyone knows exactly when Brady's career will be up, and that includes Belichick and Brady himself. What's clear is that at 37, the odds are that Brady won't be playing for too much longer.  It could be one year more, it could be three or four years more.  And while there's a small chance Brady will play longer than Warren Moon did (Moon played as a back-up until he was 44), the likelihood is that Brady's skills will decline fairly quickly as 40 approaches. So contingency plans are necessary.  With Mallet's contract ending after this season and his future with the team uncertain, getting Garappollo on board was a good move.  Only time will tell, however, when Brady retires  . . . and who will replace him.

At this point, though, it's just one game at a time . .  . 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Do you think his bellow market value contract will become an issue for him in a year? Like lets say he is 38...coming off a decent year...he sees the salary cap going up...other qb's salaries going up...does he just sit there and not ask for more? If he asks for more at 38, do we give it to him, or do we go with JG? Because that's part of the reason I think he could be gone sooner than we think, I don't think we'd give a 38 year old guy market value and I don't think a Hall of Fame quarterback would play for much much less (which is what his yearly numbers will be). Maybe I'm wrong.

I think he says a low contract is OK.  After all, it is not the money to him.  He has plenty and his wife is the real bread winner in that family.  He has strong ties to Kraft, BB and the Pats and he wants to WIN.  That is most important to him and if leaving more room under the cap does it, then that is how he goes.  He has already demonstrated that he is not like Revis or Manning in wanting to be the highest paid at the position.  It just isn't that important to him.

SLGDEV/sheldong/sheldonlg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I am not on board with the JG heir to the QB throne. Let's pump the brakes a bit. The Pats drafted a QB in the 2nd round whom they have hopes can develop into a good back up QB in 2 years. Perhaps, in 3-4 years, he has a chance to compete as the starter if TB steps away. 

I really don't see JG playing a single snap this year. Assuming next year Mallett is no longer here, I would also assume JG gets some reps in preseason. Will BB play JG at all in year 2? Did he play Hoyer in year 2? Did he play Mallett in year 2? 

I simply see this team in 2016 still having the talent and coaching staff to compete for a championship, and today cannot anoint JG as the QB of that team because he was drafted in the 2nd round. 

Are you thinking Garappolo gets no preseason snaps this year or am I reading this wrong?

No, my comment was in reference to regular season. However, in preseason, game 1, I believe Brady plays the obligatory first series, Mallet goes the balance of the first, second and third quarters, and JG sees the fourth quarter. After that first preseason game appearance, we don't see JG again until preseason 2015

I would be quite surprised if that type of preseason scenario played out and here's why...Mallett knows this offense, he's been in it for three years, he gets lots of preseason reps in training camp practice...they know what he can do and he knows what's expected of him. We are talking about a guy who will not be here next season. So why have a guy like that play so much this preseason? I could understand if he just came in and didn't know the playbook, didn't know the players, hadn't worked under Belichick and Brady, had never worked with Josh, but he has for three years now. Mallett should be ready to replace Brady in a game by now, I don't think he needs to play 50% of these preseason games.

I'm not saying JG will be the second guy coming in, but I do think we will see him more than just the first preseason game. And if JG surprises early, I think we will see him more than we imagined. There is a little "saving face" that may go on behind the scenes with that pick - Belichick was heavily criticized locally for that pick, he would love to have this kid go out there and look like Joe Montana...and who knows? Going against scrubs he might.

Personally I think Garappolo will make the second quarter of preseason games more interesting than it ever has been around here...since the time Brady was the backup. When Brady was the backup I looked forward to watching him play - I remember his first preseason - our line was depleted and they put him in to start the second half against the Lions, and the first thing he did was avoid pressure and throw this laser beam 40 yards on a deep slant...boom! First down. Now keep in mind Bledsoe had done nothing that preseason...the line couldn't protect him, he was missing all sorts of throws...in comes Brady and the first thing he does is complete a pass Bledsoe couldn't do all preseason. It was fun to watch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Tom Brady will retire a NE Patriot.  Precisely when is open to debate but I don't see him ever playing for another team.  He's still a top 3 QB in the NFL and until we see a dramatic drop-off he'll be taking the snaps.

Top 2.  There are only two unanimous, first ballot future entries into the HOF currently playing QB in the NFL and Eli isn't one of them  , no matter what he says.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

Tom Brady will retire a NE Patriot.  Precisely when is open to debate but I don't see him ever playing for another team.  He's still a top 3 QB in the NFL and until we see a dramatic drop-off he'll be taking the snaps.

Top 2.  There are only two unanimous, first ballot future entries into the HOF currently playing QB in the NFL and Eli isn't one of them  , no matter what he says.

I think it's safe to say there are four (Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers). If Rodgers plays just two more years (and he easily should play 5), he will have over 30k yards passing and over 200 touchdowns...and he has the Super Bowl ring. He most likely won't have Brady or Manning's numbers, but it should be more than enough to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Drew Brees already has one Super Bowl ring and right now he is in, or near the top five all time statistically in most major categories for the quarterback position (yards, touchdowns, etc).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

A 26 year old healthy Tom Brady is worth more than a 38 year old healthy Tom Brady.  Stuff happens.  Both Brady's agent and Jonathan Kraft know this.  That's why Brady and agent would rather sign a long-term contract "below market value" rather than a short term contract at a 26 year old's market value.  The Bradys won't ever be hurting for pocket money, and the Krafts get their guy for however many years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

I heard a Brady story.

Im in New Jersey.  I met someone here who told me he has a colleague who lives on Comm Ave and uses the T to go to work.  She had to shovel out her car to go to a meeting and the snow had become frozen but she had too get it done.

A tall attractive couple came walking by and saw her struggling.  They stopped and shoveled the car out for her.  You know who.

Obama's?

That's a good guess, but no.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I would be quite surprised if that type of preseason scenario played out and here's why...Mallett knows this offense, he's been in it for three years, he gets lots of preseason reps in training camp practice...they know what he can do and he knows what's expected of him. We are talking about a guy who will not be here next season. So why have a guy like that play so much this preseason? I could understand if he just came in and didn't know the playbook, didn't know the players, hadn't worked under Belichick and Brady, had never worked with Josh, but he has for three years now. Mallett should be ready to replace Brady in a game by now, I don't think he needs to play 50% of these preseason games.

I'm not saying JG will be the second guy coming in, but I do think we will see him more than just the first preseason game. And if JG surprises early, I think we will see him more than we imagined. There is a little "saving face" that may go on behind the scenes with that pick - Belichick was heavily criticized locally for that pick, he would love to have this kid go out there and look like Joe Montana...and who knows? Going against scrubs he might.

Personally I think Garappolo will make the second quarter of preseason games more interesting than it ever has been around here...since the time Brady was the backup. When Brady was the backup I looked forward to watching him play - I remember his first preseason - our line was depleted and they put him in to start the second half against the Lions, and the first thing he did was avoid pressure and throw this laser beam 40 yards on a deep slant...boom! First down. Now keep in mind Bledsoe had done nothing that preseason...the line couldn't protect him, he was missing all sorts of throws...in comes Brady and the first thing he does is complete a pass Bledsoe couldn't do all preseason. It was fun to watch.

Last preseason Tebow played in 3 games and attempted 30 passes which probably means there were 50 - 60 pass plays called for him. I can easily see JG getting the same amount of reps if BB thinks he's ready. And he should be, it's only preseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

What a moronic and dramatic thread, almost posed to take pressure off of the guy who has disappeared as much as anyone in recent postseasons. If anyone needs to step up and make amends, it's Brady.

Brady's last year is not 2014, but Gomie's might be especially with the way Elway drunkenly built his team this year, going for broke with no regard for 2015 and beyond. Ironic.........Mt Hurl claimed Elway is a great GM. bawhaha

The fact is, Brady is under contract for 3 more seasons and bragged about playing until 45.  This means he is here for at least 3 more years and the club will see where he is after that. He has 3 years to get 1 clean AFC Title game and maybe a clean SB performance. It's been a decade.

If he continues to fade and the new kid looks pretty good, I have no issue squeezing Brady out and having him finally commit full time to the Kentuckry Derby, modeling, Carnival and trips to Costa Rica with Welkie.  

I am mortified that it has come to this with a Boston great. So many Boston greats never went this way. In fact, NONE of them did.  Only Brady went all LA on this fanbase and with each AFC Title game, it's been harder to watch unfold.

Where I grew up, no one liked people who were all about the LA image.

I have no idea what happened to Brady.  No idea, other than Giselle.

[object HTMLDivElement]

^^^ This is your brain on drugs.  Any questions?  ^^^

Yeah it's obviously drugs...I'm thinking pain killers, but there may be more to it...heroin?? I hear it's cheap, that would make sense as well.

forgive the Queen he still thinks the Black Crowes are relevant

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

no matter what who says?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Brady has at least 2 more seasons with the Patriots.  But my guess is three more seasons and then the magic carpet ride is over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

You'll have to excus me (again) for not reading the thread, but I'm still trying to figure out if "heir to the thrown" is an indication of the op's idiocy or a pretty good pun (if there is such a thing).

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

lol@rusty

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

You'll have to excus me (again) for not reading the thread, but I'm still trying to figure out if "heir to the thrown" is an indication of the op's idiocy or a pretty good pun (if there is such a thing).

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

There's no excuse for that in a post like this!

Personally, I think "heir to the throwin'" would have been pure genius . . . 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I don't think anyone knows exactly when Brady's career will be up, and that includes Belichick and Brady himself. What's clear is that at 37, the odds are that Brady won't be playing for too much longer.  It could be one year more, it could be three or four years more.  And while there's a small chance Brady will play longer than Warren Moon did (Moon played as a back-up until he was 44), the likelihood is that Brady's skills will decline fairly quickly as 40 approaches. So contingency plans are necessary.  With Mallet's contract ending after this season and his future with the team uncertain, getting Garappollo on board was a good move.  Only time will tell, however, when Brady retires  . . . and who will replace him.

At this point, though, it's just one game at a time . .  . 

i think so Pro

there alos seems to be a fair amount of people who put a

fair amount of blame on the Oline too, TB missed one pass agaisnt the broncs

I hoep we did enough there

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Garoppolo is maybe the future, maybe not. Right now, he has to sit and learn, but eventually he has to prove himself.

Brady is one of the greatest QB's the NFL has ever seen. And as long as he can play, I want to see him here.

Furthermore, he is building a big home in Brookline and I understand the LA home is on the market. Clearly, NE is in his plans for the future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

When will strings like this finally end about Brady and his "demise"?  Does anyone here REALLY think there is a better QB the Pats can have instead of Brady right now? Even in his "diminished" effectiveness he is better than the majority of QB's out there and that is with the fewest weapons in the league.  I can imagine this place when the Pats start losing with Brady instead of winning and making the playoffs year after year with a few SBs thrown in!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

When will strings like this finally end about Brady and his "demise"?  Does anyone here REALLY think there is a better QB the Pats can have instead of Brady right now? Even in his "diminished" effectiveness he is better than the majority of QB's out there and that is with the fewest weapons in the league.  I can imagine this place when the Pats start losing with Brady instead of winning and making the playoffs year after year with a few SBs thrown in!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

Not I. Brady is still top 5 in this league period.he may not have the arm, athleticism but his decision making and accuracy are tops. You might want to pose this question to the rusty one. He wanted to trade Brady for alex smith not too long ago. 

On a different note...does anyone know if JG can make plays with his legs? I hope he can. Seems to me the one thing Brady never had was the ability to routinely make plays with his legs when things broke down. I wouldn't mind seeing some of that from JG if he gets a chance.

Sections
Shortcuts