Tom Not-So Terrific

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Tom Not-So Terrific

I love Tom to death, but this was his worst game in recent memory. He didn't have any really bad throws, nor did he make any horrible decisions, but I felt his overall management of the game was awful. 

It seemed that the blitz was coming hard & heavy and Brady saw this, and entirely ignored it. He didn't change the play, use a hard-count to diagnose who was coming... he simply stood there and made no adjustments. It seemed that he took what the defense was showing, and accepted it. There was no attempt to better the chances of the offense to succeed. I would expect better from an elite QB. Tom is elite, no doubt, but he needs to play like it. 

My other major gripe was his management of the Amendola near-touchdown. He slowed the tempo, got their jumbo package out there, and they proceeded to kick a FG. I would've like to have seen him hurry up to the line, and sneak it in. The Bengals had their nickel package out there, and no doubt they could've gotten a TD. By subbing and allowing the Bengals to do the same, they set themselves up for failure at the goalline.

Now that's not to say Tom was entirely to blame. Amendola had some drops, as did Edelman and Bolden. The talent around Tom didn't perform well today, but nor did Tom himself. Overall, it was an awful offensive performance. Putrid, to say the least.

Thanks to the defense for another strong showing. You guys are for real, and us fans know it. Keep it up.

This loss isn't a back-breaker by any means. We all knew the Falcons-Bengals-Saints stretch would be a tough one. I think most fans would be pleased with coming out of that at 2-1. We've got a tough game against the Saints next week, but one we can win. That Saints team isn't the same on the road, and Gronk should be returning. If the Pats can pull that one out, they'll be fine.

Not to mention that the Bills and Jets are no threat. The only in-division opponent worth noting is Miami, and if they were to lose today, we'd still be a game up in the division. Everyone knew this team would lose at some point, but that never makes a loss any easier to swallow. But when we all step back and be rational, I think we can say this team is in fine shape. We've got a competing defense, and an offense that will get healthier as the year goes on. 4-1 is a fine start to the season. Again, this team would lose at some point -- we all knew that. Let's be rational and realize we're 4-1 and in perfectly fine shape. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Tom Not-So Terrific

Yeah, Brady really didn't lead that O-line into playing very well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Don't forget, he caused the 4 sacks by failing to block the defenders trying to get to him.  It is a two way street...  Brady may have been off, but, his receivers, from what I read, didn't help plus the fumbles!!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Before everyone jumps on me, let me state the following, for the record:

Brady is not to blame for recent shortcomings in the playoffs. 

Brady was not to blame for the majority of the offensive struggles in weeks 1-3/4. 

Brady is not declining, and there is no reason to think he isn't an elite quarterback. He simply had an off-day. It happens, I was simply pointing it out.

Let's go Pats!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Brady was not to blame for the majority of the offensive struggles in weeks 1-3/4. 

Brady is not declining, and there is no reason to think he isn't an elite quarterback. He simply had an off-day. It happens, I was simply pointing it out.

Let's go Pats!

r    a    i    n

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from umichfan. Show umichfan's posts

yea Brady wasn't able to throw and catch the ball himself today!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

Let's go Pats!

r    a    i    n

[/QUOTE]

I agree that the rain was untimely and that the Patriots likely score a TD had the mini-hurricane not rolled through at that particular time.

That said, they didn't deserve to win today. They were outplayed, and the offense was putrid. Brady was a part of that, but not the only person to blame.

They were outplayed and lost. It happens. We're 4-1 and leading the division... onto the Saints. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I love Tom to death, but this was his worst game in recent memory. He didn't have any really bad throws, nor did he make any horrible decisions, but I felt his overall management of the game was awful. 

It seemed that the blitz was coming hard & heavy and Brady saw this, and entirely ignored it. He didn't change the play, use a hard-count to diagnose who was coming... he simply stood there and made no adjustments. It seemed that he took what the defense was showing, and accepted it. There was no attempt to better the chances of the offense to succeed. I would expect better from an elite QB. Tom is elite, no doubt, but he needs to play like it. 

My other major gripe was his management of the Amendola near-touchdown. He slowed the tempo, got their jumbo package out there, and they proceeded to kick a FG. I would've like to have seen him hurry up to the line, and sneak it in. The Bengals had their nickel package out there, and no doubt they could've gotten a TD. By subbing and allowing the Bengals to do the same, they set themselves up for failure at the goalline.

Now that's not to say Tom was entirely to blame. Amendola had some drops, as did Edelman and Bolden. The talent around Tom didn't perform well today, but nor did Tom himself. Overall, it was an awful offensive performance. Putrid, to say the least.

Thanks to the defense for another strong showing. You guys are for real, and us fans know it. Keep it up.

This loss isn't a back-breaker by any means. We all knew the Falcons-Bengals-Saints stretch would be a tough one. I think most fans would be pleased with coming out of that at 2-1. We've got a tough game against the Saints next week, but one we can win. That Saints team isn't the same on the road, and Gronk should be returning. If the Pats can pull that one out, they'll be fine.

Not to mention that the Bills and Jets are no threat. The only in-division opponent worth noting is Miami, and if they were to lose today, we'd still be a game up in the division. Everyone knew this team would lose at some point, but that never makes a loss any easier to swallow. But when we all step back and be rational, I think we can say this team is in fine shape. We've got a competing defense, and an offense that will get healthier as the year goes on. 4-1 is a fine start to the season. Again, this team would lose at some point -- we all knew that. Let's be rational and realize we're 4-1 and in perfectly fine shape. 

True!! Watching him AGAIN today, absolutely NO movement in the poket what so ever!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to jozee76's comment:

[QUOTE]

True!! Watching him AGAIN today, absolutely NO movement in the poket what so ever!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Well, I thought Tom did a good job moving in the pocket considering the poor-protection he was getting. I'm not really complaining about any tangible mistake(s) he made today, but more-so about what I thought was a lack of control of the offense. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonIrishGuy. Show BostonIrishGuy's posts

What????? This game was NOT Tom Terrifics fault. You obvioeseley know nothing about football.  The Bengals got lucky, the refs SUCKED, and half our team was injured. Otherwise we blow them out and Tom Terrific throws 3 or more TDs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Brady don't like the rain

All   Around poor to worst offense

reminds. Me of the loss to Seattle last yr

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Worst wide receiver corp in Brady era.  Running Backs also.  No quality depth on this team.  Brady is near the end of his career and it shows.  He has no trust in his offense.  Receivers can not get open.  Brady can not move around to extend the play.  Gronk could have been a game changer today and he didn't even make the trip. 

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

There certainly were numerous times that the offensive line did not get it done and there definitely were some drops.  Still, it seems fair to me to say that TB did not have his best day either.  I thought there were several throws that were off.  The fact is, I didn't anticipate this team going undefeated and I figured that there might be a few games like this.  Time to let them rest a bit and then get back out to practice for the Saints.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Still, it seems fair to me to say that TB did not have his best day either.

Nobody can have their best day, every day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

The O line almost always goes into hiding against a good D.  That kills the run as well as the pass. 

Just as Brady can't throw the ball well when he is getting hammered the backs can't run the ball well with no blocking.  

Yet year after year I hear people say how good the O line is. Good against the Bills, the Jets etc but not when it counts.

Brady has fewer sacks because he has the quickest release time in the NFL & he dumps the ball as well as any QB in the NFL NOT because the O-Line is great.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well he played bad - I'll admit that - he must of had 5 balls come out of his hand the wrong way and had it wobble in the air (not used to seeing that). He also locked onto Amendola, which is a problem because when he does that it ruins the flow of the offense...other guys don't get involved. He threw behind guys, he missed open guys and I don't think I recall him making one single throw where I thought...wow, that was a great throw.

Having said all that...his offensive line was terrible. Awful. The running backs on this team are nothing special. Nothing. There are no tight ends on the roster and we all know the receivers are rookies. It's not his job to bring guys in that can play. It's not his job to sign (or not sign guys). He doesn't do the play calling. He didn't draft 52 corners that couldn't play and use up all those precious resources on bust, after draft bust. It wasn't his idea to take five years to rebuild a defense and to have it finally start to get good when your foundation started getting old. For christ's sake John Elway built his team in two years, Pete freaken Carrol did it in two. Even Jerry god damn Jones put more talent out there on defense than we did over the last half decade. Truth.

If Tom never plays a good game for the rest of his career, I won't blame him for the years of swiss cheese defense we've had over the last five years and the lost oppurtunities we've had. For too long we built this thing with a "wait till next year" approach - well it's beyond next year now, yet we still wouldn't spend to the cap. It's not his fault.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

mthurl... that's a massive overreaction to one poor game. There is no fatal flaw on this team -- they're 4-1 and leading the division. To draw the conclusion that there is some deep-rooted, fatal issue, is entirely ridiculous.

Again, one bad game against a good team on the road, means nothing. 

Let's go Pats!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

[QUOTE]

The O line almost always goes into hiding against a good D.  That kills the run as well as the pass. 

Just as Brady can't throw the ball well when he is getting hammered the backs can't run the ball well with no blocking.  

Yet year after year I hear people say how good the O line is. Good against the Bills, the Jets etc but not when it counts.

Brady has fewer sacks because he has the quickest release time in the NFL & he dumps the ball as well as any QB in the NFL NOT because the O-Line is great.  

[/QUOTE]

The O-line is somewhat like Ridley. Cripple shooters. They feast on the weak, and shrink against good front 7s.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well he played bad - I'll admit that - he must of had 5 balls come out of his hand the wrong way and had it wobble in the air (not used to seeing that). He also locked onto Amendola, which is a problem because when he does that it ruins the flow of the offense...other guys don't get involved. He threw behind guys, he missed open guys and I don't think I recall him making one single throw where I thought...wow, that was a great throw.

Having said all that...his offensive line was terrible. Awful. The running backs on this team are nothing special. Nothing. There are no tight ends on the roster and we all know the receivers are rookies. It's not his job to bring guys in that can play. It's not his job to sign (or not sign guys). He doesn't do the play calling. He didn't draft 52 corners that couldn't play and use up all those precious resources on bust, after draft bust. It wasn't his idea to take five years to rebuild a defense and to have it finally start to get good when your foundation started getting old. For christ's sake John Elway built his team in two years, Pete freaken Carrol did it in two. Even Jerry god damn Jones put more talent out there on defense than we did over the last half decade. Truth.

If Tom never plays a good game for the rest of his career, I won't blame him for the years of swiss cheese defense we've had over the last five years and the lost oppurtunities we've had. For too long we built this thing with a "wait till next year" approach - well it's beyond next year now, yet we still wouldn't spend to the cap. It's not his fault.

It was bad weather. The receivers are still a new thing. Edelman is the guy he has the most exp with, and that's a total of 69 catches over 4 years plus.

AH being in the slammer for murder and Gronk taking so long to heal has put the keebosh on any significant direct experience in the passing game. The TE position virtually doesn't even exist right now.

Things should get better, but there will be and have been severe growing pains.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

mthurl... that's a massive overreaction to one poor game. There is no fatal flaw on this team -- they're 4-1 and leading the division. To draw the conclusion that there is some deep-rooted, fatal issue, is entirely ridiculous.

Again, one bad game against a good team on the road, means nothing. 

Let's go Pats!

Hey I hope you're right, I just think the mistakes they've made in the past are coming back to haunt us. And if anyone thinks Wilfork going down is not going to kill this defense going forward I think they are delusional - and I read a lot of that this weekend. There was no need for us to have him out there for 80% of the snaps like he was for the last five years, except for the fact we had no one else to relieve him. He is a prime example of why you aren't suppossed to take five years to rebuild a defense - because the foundation falls down before the house goes up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

brady sucked for the most part today, weather or not.

but hes still one of the best qbs there is. hes allowed an off day.

this team will be fine in 2 months when all are healthy..

and we will be a title contender if this defense keeps it up.

im not worried.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

Did you forget about the jets game this year,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

You have no idea how hard it rained the last minute abd a half   

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Any Pats fan has to be sickened with the state of the offense right now. It is shameful what  Belichick has put out there this year.  Finally the Pats have a good defense, but the offense has looked bad 4 out of 5 weeks out there.  I am not even saying that it is the fault of rookie receivers but the amount of change that the offense has gone through is simply insane.  We lose 2 reliable studs in  Woodhead and Welker.  These two guys were the perfect fits with Brady. Pats replace them with  Amendola and Vereen.  What was BB thinking?  Trying to outsmart himself?  Not only do we lose Welker but he goes to Broncos and makes them so much better and turns them into a clear SB favorite.  It is sickening.  Enough of the nonsense that Amendola and  Vereen are not injury prone and had only "freak" injuries.  Those two guys are injury prone.  Welker already has more touchdowns than Amendola will ever dream of scoring this year. 

The only time Brady had decent weapons in his career was in 2007 ,  2011 and 2012.  That is 3 years.  Thats it.  Look what Manning has now and compare that to Brady.  Brady has a bottom 10 WR and TE group working with him.  

Pats are 10 million below the cap. It is ridicolous to think they couldnt give Welker a 2 yr /12mil deal. Especially when they gave Amendola even more money.  It is astonishing that they could up their offer to Emmanuel Sanders to 4-5 million and make sure Steelers couldn't match. 

Finally the defense looks like it has turned a corner after being awful for 5 years.  In return Brady gets turned into Blaine Gabbert by BB ineptitude on lack of WR and TE depth.

If it's going to be an interview, I'm going to conduct it. So, I'll answer my own questions, ask myself the questions and then give you all the answers.

-- Randy Moss